Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Aug 10, 11:12 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 26th Aug 10, 11:12 PM
    26th Aug 10 at 11:12 PM
    Hello everyone!

Welcome to the ninth Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your August budget, then keep on posting in the August 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-08-2010 at 8:03 PM.
Page 49
    • Craftyscholar
    • By Craftyscholar 21st Sep 10, 7:22 AM
    • 3,384 Posts
    • 62,248 Thanks
    Craftyscholar
    We spent £9.50 last night in the coo p. It would have been more but we had share of the profits vouchers worth £4.
    Originally posted by hedgesparrow
    hedgesparrow, can I ask how useful you feel joining the co-op is?

I have one within walking distance, but when I went to join (assuming it would be like getting a T or S card) they were asking for everything except my shoe size and I seemed to be signing up to involvement in the whole organisation.

• hedgesparrow
    • By hedgesparrow 21st Sep 10, 7:38 AM
    • 469 Posts
    • 2,822 Thanks
    hedgesparrow
    I don't know much about it as I have only been a member for a year and don't do that much shopping there. Like you it is walking distance so we tend to do top up shops there when it isn't worth the money driving to a bigger store. Once I got the card you just use it like a tesco card but I didn't really use it that much (kept forgetting) so was surprised when I got sent £4 in £1 vouchers in the post. You can spend these vouchers without having to spend a minimum amount so we spent £4 on £13 of shopping but I think we could have just spent £3.99 and got it all free.

I am definately going to try to remember better to use the card this year and see how many more vouchers I get! They do send me other post (including a ballot form) but I haven't had time to read it yet. Maybe someone out there has more info than me? Cause I would be interested to know how it works more in detail too.
    Grocery Challenge £114.22/ £110
  • adelight
    I've had 2 NSDs thanks to work I'll be spending about £2 tonight at Lidl on soy milk, bananas and the veg offers. My approved food order is arriving today(lots of bread mixes and tinned fruit and olives) but I haven't included it in the GC as it's such a big buy that will last me months, wish the LLoyd Grossman sauces were up when I ordered Would anyone include that in their GC?
    Living cheap in central London
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 21st Sep 10, 8:06 AM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    off to lidl later this afternoon to pick up some of the offers

then will do my main shop on thursday ( day off)
    • greent
    • By greent 21st Sep 10, 9:38 AM
    • 8,105 Posts
    • 82,311 Thanks
    greent
    Courgette & Tomato Soup
    Most courgette soups I see are creamy. This one isn't, so it's healthier (and nicer, imo!) - and easily adapted to be syn free on Slimming World, for those who do it

Ingredients:
    • 30g/ 1oz butter
    • 1 onion, finely chopped
    • 1-2 cloves of garlic, chopped/ crushed
    • 375-400gm of courgette, coarsely grated
    • 1pt of (vegetable) stock
    • 1 400/440gm can of chopped tomatoes (I used about 500+ grams of fresh tomatoes, skinned and mushed slightly)
    • optional - good squeeze of tomato pureee
    • optional - 1-2 tbsp of chopped fresh herbs
    • salt and pepper
    • optional - 60ml double cream and basil leaves to garnish
    Method
    • In a medium- large saucepan, soften onion and garlic in butter (frylight and a splash of water for SW syn free-ness!)
    • Add courgette and cook for further 4-5 minutes
    • Add stock (I used 1/2 a very old veg stock cube and a small block of chicken stock because I've got lots and made it up to the required volume) and tomatoes. Also add tomato puree if using
    • Bring to the boil, reduce heat, cover and simmer for 15 minutes
    • Add salt and pepper to taste (I don't salt, just use lots of fresh black pepper) Add herbs if using
    • Serve in bowls, garnished with a spoonful of cream in the middle and a basil leaf or two on top (I don't do this bit, either!)
    I've been making this for about 20 years - good way of using gluts of tomatoes and courgettes that I have. I also grate and freeze courgette to make it in the winter.

Can be blitzed to make a smooth soup, but I like the lumps (small). Goes well with hunks of bread, but I've got some next to me in one of those large bowl/ mug things. Can also be reduced (or add less stock) for a pasta sauce - great with flakes of smoked bacon stirred in (also nice with a spoonful of cream stirred in the pasta sauce if you're not watching the calories!)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £1972.10/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £173.62/£500
    • suzybloo
    • By suzybloo 21st Sep 10, 9:49 AM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 8,715 Thanks
    suzybloo
    Morning folks, spent another £4.80 but on the face of things not doing to badly, cupboards and freezer are still well stocked, have put through a shopping for Tesco to be delivered on the 2nd October, and adding to it as I come across things we need for next month. I am really pleased i have joined this challenge as I now think twice as to whether we really need anything, and the amount of wastage has reduced dramatically. May just scrape through - I probably would have just been ok had I left the budget at £450 for this month but hey ho at least there is a structure to evrything now!
    Suzy
    Every days a School day!
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 21st Sep 10, 9:50 AM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    Small spend today

£1 at Mr S and £1.46 on onions, broccoli and cumin from the Turkish supermarket.

Updated signature :-)
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 £46.05/£130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent £1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent £1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
    • russetred
    • By russetred 21st Sep 10, 10:51 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 9,385 Thanks
    russetred
    Updating my siggy and still well within target.I had a conditional spend for Mr T so used every voucher I could in the one shop to get £10.70 off my £40 shop.Mind you if was a bit of a squeeze shoe horning the meat into the freezer.DD has home ec homework tonight- make a family meal so she's on gammon and leek pie with carrots,beans and roast potatoes, should be fun.
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • rosieben
    greent - your lush Courgette and Tomato soup is now in the recipe index
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • katholicos
    £15.85 spent on Approved Food website this morning. Have already updated signature :-)
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
    • Lindy - Loo
    • By Lindy - Loo 21st Sep 10, 12:50 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 8,403 Thanks
    Lindy - Loo
    our final day of this months challenge on friday and I think we may come in uner budget! Maybe monthly shopping will work fr us.

Saturday and sunday this week in netto they have 375g boxex of weetos for 89p instead of £2
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 21st Sep 10, 2:01 PM
    • 5,091 Posts
    • 49,539 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Spent €90.47this morning, leaving me about €30 until the end of the month....should be fine if I stay out of shops, OH will then buy milk as required ( probably as much as a whole litre by 30th!) Did buy a kilo of full cream milk powder so that should help...mainly use it in bread but sometimes make custard or white sauce with it.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • boultdj
    • By boultdj 21st Sep 10, 2:52 PM
    • 4,504 Posts
    • 33,115 Thanks
    boultdj
    Spent $11.16 in Mr.M's yesterday.
    • sistercas
    • By sistercas 21st Sep 10, 3:11 PM
    • 4,841 Posts
    • 58,661 Thanks
    sistercas
    been to lidl
    got the cabbage 29p
    cucumber 39p
    coleslaw 49p for 500g
    branston beans 4 for a £1 ( £2.49 in t3sco)
    strawberries £1
    back bacon £1.09
    8 x muller rice £2 ( 25p each)

they had run out of celery and extra mature scottish chedder
    • jintyb
    • By jintyb 21st Sep 10, 3:18 PM
    • 1,737 Posts
    • 17,926 Thanks
    jintyb
    been to lidl
    got the cabbage 29p
    cucumber 39p
    coleslaw 49p for 500g
    branston beans 4 for a £1 ( £2.49 in t3sco)
    strawberries £1
    back bacon £1.09
    8 x muller rice £2 ( 25p each)

they had run out of celery and extra mature scottish chedder
    Originally posted by sistercas
    That's great bargains! Well done you! I think I'll be toddling in there myself!

you will always be rich enough to be generous.
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 21st Sep 10, 3:57 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    Updated my total for what i've bought over the weekend. Some things weren't included (some lint rollers and part of dinner on Sunday - a 'takeaway' bag from the supermarket as this was shared)

£1.00 in Sainsburys on more new Doritos (ate too many, now can't look at them)
    £6.69 in the Ikea food shop on junk really. Some meatball sauce, mainly chocolate and some drinks for the journey home!
    £1.33 in Tesco on risotto - we noticed they were reduced to 19p so stocked up.
    £6.49 in Asda on chicken steaks, mince, fajita mix and coconut milk (49p - bargain!)
    £1.09 in Morrisons on reduced salad and some drinks for the cinema.
    £2.29 in Sainsburys on a lettuce, milk and wraps.

I thought i'd visit them all so they don't feel left out

I must try and resist a bargain though as my freezer literally is jam packed. How I got the chicken and mince in i'll never know! I really need to work my way through it now though as can't use the mince to make anything as won't have the space to freeze what's left (and I really fancy lasagne!)
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
    • cw18
    • By cw18 21st Sep 10, 4:23 PM
    • 8,045 Posts
    • 85,987 Thanks
    cw18
    hedgesparrow, can I ask how useful you feel joining the co-op is?

I have one within walking distance, but when I went to join (assuming it would be like getting a T or S card) they were asking for everything except my shoe size and I seemed to be signing up to involvement in the whole organisation.
    Originally posted by Craftyscholar
    I don't know much about it as I have only been a member for a year and don't do that much shopping there. Like you it is walking distance so we tend to do top up shops there when it isn't worth the money driving to a bigger store. Once I got the card you just use it like a tesco card but I didn't really use it that much (kept forgetting) so was surprised when I got sent £4 in £1 vouchers in the post. You can spend these vouchers without having to spend a minimum amount so we spent £4 on £13 of shopping but I think we could have just spent £3.99 and got it all free.

I am definately going to try to remember better to use the card this year and see how many more vouchers I get! They do send me other post (including a ballot form) but I haven't had time to read it yet. Maybe someone out there has more info than me? Cause I would be interested to know how it works more in detail too.
    Originally posted by hedgesparrow
    When I signed up (quite a few years ago), I had to pay a one-off £1 membership fee. I hardly ever shop in a store (especially since one near us closed down last year -there is another a similar distance in a different direction, but I tend to forget it's there plus I find them expensive unless something is on special offer), but you also get dividends if you have an insurance policy with them (I don't) or a bank account (including Sm!le) which I do. So my dividends are almost exclusively for banking with them, and it's worth having just for that as it's basically money for nothing
    Cheryl
    • cw18
    • By cw18 21st Sep 10, 4:25 PM
    • 8,045 Posts
    • 85,987 Thanks
    cw18
    My approved food order is arriving today(lots of bread mixes and tinned fruit and olives) but I haven't included it in the GC as it's such a big buy that will last me months, wish the LLoyd Grossman sauces were up when I ordered Would anyone include that in their GC?
    Originally posted by adelight
    I've always included mine as part of my GC spends - and this year I've included the postage as well. Explains a couple of months I've waaaay overspent, but I should balance out by year end
    Cheryl
    • cw18
    • By cw18 21st Sep 10, 4:29 PM
    • 8,045 Posts
    • 85,987 Thanks
    cw18
    I must try and resist a bargain though as my freezer literally is jam packed. How I got the chicken and mince in i'll never know! I really need to work my way through it now though as can't use the mince to make anything as won't have the space to freeze what's left (and I really fancy lasagne!)
    Originally posted by freakyogre

I do sooooooo love reading of other folks having the same problem as me

Ran out of both frozen sweetcorn and frozen mixed veg at the weekend, but had to prioritise which to buy a replacement for as there was no way I could possibly get a bag of each into the freezers..... and the shocking thing is I have two upright freezers (total of 7 full size and 2 half size drawers), and only myself to cater for
    Cheryl
    • elf06
    • By elf06 21st Sep 10, 4:42 PM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    Nipped into t3sco today and got a few bits - mainly weetabix, sunflower oil, some tupperware type containers, kitchen foil, rice and a kinder egg for DS. Spent £6.57. Will update sig
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

136Posts Today

1,932Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the weekend, it's the weekend, yay. It's that moment, when as usual, to sign off for family time. So I bid y? https://t.co/2RYRnz3fEe

• Actually the BBC was set up to "educate, entertain and inform" so I think it is one of its responsibilities and cle? https://t.co/HMP4Q2Uptu

• Today's FRI twitter poll: Puritanical new laws by Tories/Labour/EU/Trump/Putin (pick ur own scapegoat) dictate mode? https://t.co/3LW55tFGJ9

• Follow Martin