Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 7th Sep 10, 3:00 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Beware scam tax rebate emails after HMRC blunder
    • 7th Sep 10, 3:00 PM
    MSE News: Beware scam tax rebate emails after HMRC blunder 7th Sep 10 at 3:00 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Fraudsters are expected to step up efforts to extort cash after the revelation 5.7m have paid the wrong amount of tax..."

Page 1
  • Pamelamac
    • 9th Sep 10, 7:49 AM
    • 9th Sep 10, 7:49 AM
    Everyone beware of this scam. I had dealings with the HMRC for a few months for my mother and 'coincidently' received a 'phishing' email a few weeks after paying her bill saying I was due a refund. My immediate thought was 'great' (she is in supported living being a very young (66 years) dementia sufferer and the costs are extreme). However, I did nothing and a few weeks later when I received another email I phoned the tax office, they did not seem overly concerned and just said it is fraud ignore it...I felt they should have been making a big deal out of it.

I spoke to others and they say do not click on any of the links on the email...just delete them.
    Last edited by Pamelamac; 09-09-2010 at 7:50 AM. Reason: spelling mistake
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,041Posts Today

7,361Users online

Martin's Twitter