Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 7th Sep 10, 11:01 AM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Esta site struggling ahead of new US tourist tax
    • 7th Sep 10, 11:01 AM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Esta site struggling ahead of new US tourist tax 7th Sep 10 at 11:01 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"MoneySavers have complained the site is inaccessible or slow loading when trying to apply for a travel permit today..."

Page 1
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 7th Sep 10, 11:15 AM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    callum9999
    • 7th Sep 10, 11:15 AM
    "Ensure you make note of this as it isn't emailed to you and you may need to amend your details, such as flights and accommodation information, in future."

I was under the impression this is all a back-room system, i.e. you just apply for an ESTA then you travel to the US whenever you want over the next 2 years and they just find you on the system from your passport.

I applied for the ESTA a while ago and didn't write down the number because of this - do I need to sign up again then?
  • nw_man
    Well, it may sound harsh but surely these last minute people knew of the situation weeks or even months ago ?

Serves them right for leaving it so long !

We renewed all ours on sunday and it was totally fine
  • nw_man
    • 7th Sep 10, 11:16 AM
    • 7th Sep 10, 11:16 AM
    "Ensure you make note of this as it isn't emailed to you and you may need to amend your details, such as flights and accommodation information, in future."

I was under the impression this is all a back-room system, i.e. you just apply for an ESTA then you travel to the US whenever you want over the next 2 years and they just find you on the system from your passport.

I applied for the ESTA a while ago and didn't write down the number because of this - do I need to sign up again then?
    Originally posted by callum9999
    No, not at all.

You do not have to have the documentation with you at US immigration.
    • callum9999
    • By callum9999 7th Sep 10, 12:07 PM
    • 3,950 Posts
    • 2,408 Thanks
    callum9999
    • 7th Sep 10, 12:07 PM
    • 7th Sep 10, 12:07 PM
    No, not at all.

You do not have to have the documentation with you at US immigration.
    Originally posted by nw_man
    I thought so, and why would you need to amend flight and accomodation details. You aren't meant to contact them before every time you go there to update them are you?
    • Amber Sunshine
    • By Amber Sunshine 7th Sep 10, 1:13 PM
    • 1,595 Posts
    • 3,918 Thanks
    Amber Sunshine
    • 7th Sep 10, 1:13 PM
    • 7th Sep 10, 1:13 PM
    I've just submitted my application. The page wouldn't load the first time, but I had no problems on the second attempt.
  • thommy
    • 7th Sep 10, 1:25 PM
    • 7th Sep 10, 1:25 PM

Originally posted by callum9999
    you, in theory, shouldn't need a hard copy of the ESTA. However, some people have been asked for it in the US.
    we travelled to south america via maimi. we were asked to show it at bristol airport but not on arrival in miami. the immigration bloke even asked if we had done it (but didn't ask to see it!) when i was under the impression that he only had to check his computer!
    this is the main bit - when travelling back to miami from s america we had to show we had the esta. they were not going to let us even check in unti lwe showed them a print out of it.
    i'd get re registered if you have no record, just to be on the safe side.
  • Jimmy t'one
    • 7th Sep 10, 2:02 PM
    • 7th Sep 10, 2:02 PM
    It seems like another reason not to go to the US. It's a joke that we are now effectively paying to be treated like 2nd class citizens at US Immigration.
  • paythebills
    • 7th Sep 10, 2:33 PM
    • 7th Sep 10, 2:33 PM
    URGENT!!

Sorry for any repetition, but I do want to get this sorted.

Is there anyone who has seen the message currently displayed on the ESTA application site...

"ESTA is undergoing routine maintenance. Please check back later."

..who has subsequently been able to successfully make an application or at least see the application page??

I suppose that person would have also had come back to read this thread once successfully applying.. Like me! I've made two applications and on returning to make a third, I've been faced with the above message.

Any replies from user and/or mods would be gratefully appreciated.

Regards,

PTB
    • suered
    • By suered 7th Sep 10, 4:07 PM
    • 314 Posts
    • 160 Thanks
    suered
    I just managed to do it - it took an awful lot of patiently refreshing the browser though.

Once you do get through to a page where you're actually inputting information, then STAY on that page, just clicking refresh however many times is necessary - it will eventually move on to the next page with your info.

And it showed as approved - although I do still have one that was good for another year, so it might be the completely new ones that are showing as "pending"?

hth
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes" - Erasmus
    • Starrystarrynight
    • By Starrystarrynight 7th Sep 10, 4:12 PM
    • 869 Posts
    • 2,082 Thanks
    Starrystarrynight
    I've never been asked to show a print of the ESTA at US immigration, which is good as I don't have a printer!
    Renewed ours on Sunday without any problems.
    Hope everyone manages to get sorted :-)
  • Rob Edmunds
    Esta
    I Was in exactly the same position as you "Pay The Bills"....2 forms completed...1 to go !!!

Tried 5 or 6times throughout the day...finally got there at 17:01hrs......just when most people logg off and finish work i guess.

So keep going you will get there in the end....try when the soaps are on.....most will be watching them ;-)

Whats p1ssed me off is ......

Why wasn't this mentioned earlier by the TV....surely Martin should have been on a show a week ago explaining this !!

or by my travel agent...i've recieved no details that this was a requirement

Usually when travelling abroad you get told to complete the visa etc......

I've been to the US for the last 5 years and was told by US customs last year that ESTA was only a trial at certain airports and wasn't going to be implimented !..

Then I had the printed ESTA forms but still had to complete a green visa wavier card...as they US customs wouldn't accept them..

Thank god i'm just passing through the US....I never have liked them much....

hope you all get sorted out

Rob
    • eslick
    • By eslick 7th Sep 10, 5:01 PM
    • 2,038 Posts
    • 1,321 Thanks
    eslick
    you, in theory, shouldn't need a hard copy of the ESTA. However, some people have been asked for it in the US.
    we travelled to south america via maimi. we were asked to show it at bristol airport but not on arrival in miami. the immigration bloke even asked if we had done it (but didn't ask to see it!) when i was under the impression that he only had to check his computer!
    this is the main bit - when travelling back to miami from s america we had to show we had the esta. they were not going to let us even check in unti lwe showed them a print out of it.
    i'd get re registered if you have no record, just to be on the safe side.
    Originally posted by thommy
    at the end of the application or or clicking on the print button it says that you dont need to print a copy and you wont be asked for it.
    • glitter123
    • By glitter123 7th Sep 10, 5:01 PM
    • 493 Posts
    • 90 Thanks
    glitter123
    Finally got mine completed only to get the "pending" response. Daughter got immediately "approved" though.
  • supa sue
    Esta
    I'm furious because it's 18:15 (GMT) and I'm trying to complete an ESTA application - what a nightmare!! The site is refusing to let me complete an application and it's probably because there is a charge from the 8th!!
    Can I complain about this? What can I do?
    • mssloan
    • By mssloan 7th Sep 10, 5:20 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    mssloan
    If you already have a Visa:

ESTA is not required for people traveling to the U.S. with a valid visa. However, if you have a visa, but are traveling under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) instead of your visa, then you will need to apply for ESTA. For instance, if you have an F1 visa, but are coming to the U.S. for business or pleasure for no more than 90 days, (and are a citizen of a VWP country) then you would be traveling under the VWP, which requires you to apply for ESTA before you travel.
    Free at last! Free at last! Thank God Almighty, I'm DEBT-FREE at last! (with apologies to Martin Luther King )
    Debt Free Roll of Honor #488
  • choc_mouse
    Had absolutely no idea about this but just saw it on MSE home page. High chance I could be visiting the US for a holiday so just tried to apply. Took 5-10 attempts at refreshing the web page but got approved in the end.
    • heronfolder
    • By heronfolder 7th Sep 10, 7:26 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 87 Thanks
    heronfolder
    The site is just so overloaded right now. Think i'll wait til after midnight. We have until 5am..
  • trol
    the site is totally inaccessable, is there any other way to apply for the visa waiver (esta)??
  • cjlawton73
    After a million refreshes I finally got all 3 of ours done (I did mine from work earlier as I know my passort info).

Strangely mine got a pending response and my wife and daughter were approved straight away.

Chris
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,719Posts Today

8,065Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @womensaid: Financial abuse is a form of domestic violence. We were delighted to advise on this article - no woman experiencing financia?

• Joint accounts, financial abuse and managing money in relationships - what every couple needs to know. My new blog? https://t.co/L3yAkncV0c

• Two weeks ago I tweeted about sensitive teeth and unbidden Colgate sent me their sensitive tooth paste. Last week? https://t.co/hV2wFPGKWh

• Follow Martin