Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Aug 10, 11:12 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 26th Aug 10, 11:12 PM
    26th Aug 10 at 11:12 PM
    Hello everyone!

Welcome to the ninth Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your August budget, then keep on posting in the August 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    by Galtizz
    For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-08-2010 at 8:03 PM.
Page 4
  • scotsaver
    Hi everyone - my month started on Friday so I've updated total with spends so far.

Nothing exciting to say, dinner tonight is Roast lamb and all the trimmings, no pud planned as I couldn't get motivated but everyone should be full after a big dinner, if not there is plenty of fruit in.

Good luck everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Long tall sally
    Thanks to Rosieben, Mrs M and Pink for the thread.

I used the last of my 5 Tesco today. I spent 46 but that included 7 on some clip & lock storage containers which I am not including and also another 4 odd in the co op but which included 2.46 on stamps which I am also not including. Included in my Tesco amount was 2 tins of Quality Street & Roses so thats me started on my "December event" shopping.

I've been searching for recipes for the last hour & managed to find plenty for carrot soups to use up my glut of carrots but am still struggling to find an easy lemon cheesecake recipe to use up all my lemons. i also have two thirds of a pot of double cream which typically I bought for something that I now cant remember what and would like to not waste it so any help would be greatly appreciated.

My freezer is absolutely choc a bloc so I really need to stop shopping apart from milk, F & V and bread. For some strange and bizarre reason I am actually feeling optimistic that this will be the nonth that I do achieve target! I can but hope!

Good luck everyone.
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
  • rosieben
    ... am still struggling to find an easy lemon cheesecake recipe to use up all my lemons. i also have two thirds of a pot of double cream which typically I bought for something that I now cant remember what and would like to not waste it so any help would be greatly appreciated. ...
    Originally posted by Long tall sally
    I found a couple - a Mary Berry recipe and a James Martin

I'll be back if I find anything else
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 29th Aug 10, 5:40 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    hi all and big welcome to all the newbieswith there first challenge you will get lots of support on here and were all a friendly bunch

Today i went to asda, worst thing i could have done as i spent 19.91 on lots of offers so i def wont be needing much this week for my weekly shop. Cooked a lovely gammon in the SC today and came out all tender, delish Will prob use the rest of it tomorrow for dinner with some potatoes and veg. off to update sig now
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
    • Lindy - Loo
    • By Lindy - Loo 29th Aug 10, 6:16 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 8,403 Thanks
    Lindy - Loo
    Have spent 27 between Netto, co op and the buchers. tomorrow see's the delivery of my first monthly on line shop, hopefully we should come in under budget this month as we will only be topping up stuff this month.

Good luck everyone xx
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
    • laloopi
    • By laloopi 29th Aug 10, 6:31 PM
    • 123 Posts
    • 1,036 Thanks
    laloopi
    Hi, I'm new to these boards (been lurking for about a month) so this will be my first GC!

Please could you put me down for 260 from the 1st September. This is for DH, DS age 1 and me, including our four organic veg boxes @ 15 each and two organic meat boxes @ 25 each so the challenge for me is to keep all other groceries below 150! We've stocked up recently so it shouldn't be too hard but as we spend 260 excluding the boxes in August then it's still a stretch for me :-). I'm going to aim for 5 NSDs as well (versus 2 in August).

Looking forward to it xx
    • Flat Eric
    • By Flat Eric 29th Aug 10, 6:35 PM
    • 3,991 Posts
    • 24,048 Thanks
    Flat Eric
    This isn't related to GC but I thought it might raise a smile ! I for one don't know whether to laugh or cry ! last saturday evening, whilst watching casualty, I managed to knock half a glass of red wine over the carpet ! this week, I managed to knock near on a full bottle of beer on the carpet ! it wouldn't be so bad expect for the fact that I had spent the afternoon tidying up / housework etc and had everything "just right". Now my sofa is not where it should be while the carpet dries ?! I hadn't even taken one sip and it wasn't the cat's fault either (like last week!)

in food news, I am meant to be following sw and think this might be my only reason for visiting the supermarket this week (to buy fresh fruit). im well stocked for everything else. the apple pie i bought in the m&$ dine in for 2 has been cooked and I will enjoy a slice of that later with a nice dollop of clotted cream ! I know this is a contradiction in terms, given the first paragraph but it is a bank holiday after all ! im looking forward to the september grocery challenge because I am feeling really determined. as mentioned earlier, my freezer(s) are full as are my cupboards. If I can live on the budget I have set myself then this I think will set a precedent for future months. what it boils down to is less money spent on food bills means more money in the bank / more money to put towards my credit card.
    have a lovely evening all and enjoy the bank holiday

• toddles*
    • By toddles* 29th Aug 10, 6:44 PM
    • 360 Posts
    • 2,653 Thanks
    toddles*
    edit- just menu planning now,

Ooh Im salvating at the thought of all the delicious meals.
    Last edited by toddles*; 30-08-2010 at 8:42 PM.
    Happy days
  • jackieglasgow
    As a veggie I shouldn't be encouraging you, but as a money saver I would say AS MUCH AS YOU CAN CARRY!!!
    It's what is inside your head that matters in life - not what's outside your window
    Originally posted by mardatha
    Every worthwhile accomplishment, big or little, has its stages of drudgery and triumph; a beginning, a struggle and a victory. - Ghandi
    • muffin man 7
    • By muffin man 7 29th Aug 10, 7:08 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    muffin man 7
    I might not of made my target 120.00 but I halved my overspend 47.74 and for me thats a step in the right direction
    Now when i've had a chance to sort receipts out and work out what got used and whats left
    Some can go in my xmas box ready for December and some can go in winter box say 1or2 of each item anything more can help me through september if need be
    As long as my spends keep going down thats a good thing need to start getting ready for cold weather this will hopefully keep me at home away from shops lots of nsd is what i need although there were not that many for august will have to check ?
    2nd purse challenge no0400 Sealed pot challenge ???? 2 trolley find not counting small coins till end year
  • Hippeechiq
    Coooeee everyone

Welcome to all the newbies and good luck to everyone, and many thanks to Pink, MrsM and Rosieben for all the hard work that goes into each months threads

Could you please put Hippeechiq down for 275.00 again this month please for 4 Adults and no pets

Have failed my first two at this amount, July by 24.08 (haven't yet finished August but so far am 8.29 over budget) but third time lucky, eh?

So far in August I've only had 8 NSDs, and whereas I would like to have more in September, it's more important to me that I stay within budget rather than focus on having more NSDs - but I will try.

My September challenge starts on Wednesday 1st -30th September inclusive so see you all again then
    Aug11 193.29/240

Oct10 266.72 /275 Nov10 276.71/275 Dec10 311.33 / 275 Jan11 242.25/ 250 Feb11 243.14/ 250 Mar11 221.99/ 230
    Apr11 237.39 /240 May11 237.71/240 Jun11 244.03/ 240 July11 244.89/ 240
    Xmas 2011 Fund 220
  • Hippeechiq
    but am still struggling to find an easy lemon cheesecake recipe to use up all my lemons. i also have two thirds of a pot of double cream which typically I bought for something that I now cant remember what and would like to not waste it so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Good luck everyone.
    Hi Long tall sally

This is not a Lemon Cheesecake, but it's very easy to make and will use up a couple of your lemons and your double cream

Lemon Flan

4oz Digestive Biscuits, crushed
    2oz Margarine
    1 Tablespoon Sugar
    pint Double Cream
    6oz Tin Condensed Milk
    2 Large Lemons

Pre-heat oven to 150C
    Combine crushed Digestives and sugar in a bowl
    Melt margarine and add to biscuit and sugar mixture and stir well to coat
    Press into an 8" loose bottomed flan dish and bake for 8 minutes

Mix cream, condensed milk and grated lemon rind together in a bowl and whisk in lemon juice

Pour into flan case and chill until firm

Sorry it's not in metric. I've had the recipe for 20 odd years and haven't ever bothered to convert it, but it shouldn't be to difficult
    Aug11 193.29/240

Oct10 266.72 /275 Nov10 276.71/275 Dec10 311.33 / 275 Jan11 242.25/ 250 Feb11 243.14/ 250 Mar11 221.99/ 230
    Xmas 2011 Fund 220
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 29th Aug 10, 7:55 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 10,894 Thanks
    Sue14
    Can I please be put down for 135 for September, thanks!
    Weight loss challenge 3/10lbs
    Total weight loss 21lbs

• pipersky
    • By pipersky 29th Aug 10, 8:22 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 15,015 Thanks
    pipersky
    Hello everyone! Me again

Once again I have failed MISERABLY at keeping tabs of what I spent on groceries in August, however I'm nothing if not stubborn so I'm in again for 200 please Mrs M (but hoping for less - I can start batch cooking as my lovely parents have just donated their chest freezer in my direction ).

Now the school hols are nearly over, I'll have a little more time to keep up with everyone on here, so see you all in a few days ...

PS. Thanks to Mrs M, rosieben and Pink for the thread
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady

A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
  • Long tall sally
    Thanks a lot Rosieben & Hippichiq for the recipes to use my lemons etc. Hippichiq - sorry to be a bit thick but is a flan case made of pastry or sponge?

Thanks
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
    • looie
    • By looie 29th Aug 10, 8:52 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 5,749 Thanks
    looie
    hiya all, can you put me down for 80 for September please.

I have some expensive bills to pay this month so the less I spend on groceries the better. Going to eat more veggies from the allotment.

I am also going to do a spending diary too for the first time I need to know where our money is going. Think I might get a few surprises
    • carolinerunner
    • By carolinerunner 29th Aug 10, 9:54 PM
    • 504 Posts
    • 6,309 Thanks
    carolinerunner
    I feel a bit uncomfortable saying it as some of you guys seem to be much better at this than I am - but am going to aim for 600 again for Sept. Should be easier this month as kids are back at school, more of a routine, no guests. Freezer is well stocked, and I think I am getting better at it, OH too. Other bits of life will be high cost as there's DS's birthday but groceries I might have a chance of controlling.

Good luck to all and thanks for the thread!
    Erratically money saving
  • Hippeechiq
    carolinerunner Please don't feel uncomfortable about how much your own grocery challenge is. It's not a competition and we're not here to judge each other.

We're all trying to reduce our spending to suit our own needs, or are simply trying to be less wasteful.

There are people who live on their own taking part in the challenge and there are people who have several children, couples with high mortgages, couples without, families with several pets, families with none, single parents and so on.

Some people include all toiletries, some people don't, some people include eating out and others don't. We're all different

And this isn't about "who can survive on the smallest amount of money per month" - it's a about whatever it means to each individual who takes part, but above all, it's about doing it together and giving each other a little support along the way

Thanks a lot Rosieben & Hippichiq for the recipes to use my lemons etc. Hippichiq - sorry to be a bit thick but is a flan case made of pastry or sponge?

Thanks
    Not thick at all hun It was a recipe given to me by my then SIL, and that's what she called it. It hasn't ever occurred to me that it's not an actual "flan", which, you're quite right, would normally have a pastry or sponge base - but in this case, the crushed digestives, sugar and melted margarine mixed together and pressed into the bottom of the tin make the base....a bit like a cheesecake base really only not quite as thick/deep IYKWIM.

Hope that helps, and sorry for any confusion
    Last edited by Hippeechiq; 30-08-2010 at 12:31 AM.
    Aug11 193.29/240

Xmas 2011 Fund 220
    • Charlie H
    • By Charlie H 30th Aug 10, 2:25 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 130 Thanks
    Charlie H
    Hiya Everyone,

Thanks for organising this thread. Please can you add me for 150 grocery challenge for September? It's an over estimate as my first time. Not sure whether will include my cat's food too.

Good luck everyone
    Charlie
    -165500 (2.4.07) Current Balance: -129354.76 (05.12.11)
    • dizzydolly
    • By dizzydolly 30th Aug 10, 4:35 AM
    • 203 Posts
    • 362 Thanks
    dizzydolly
    hello , could I join the challenge please as ive really been overspending in the last few months and it cant go on .
    please put me down for 220 , this is for 3 of us , myself , my son 12 and daughter 8 plus a cocker spaniel .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

550Posts Today

5,718Users online

Martin's Twitter