Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 19th Aug 10, 3:34 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Tesco offers Clubcard lifeline for airline miles collectors
    • 19th Aug 10, 3:34 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Tesco offers Clubcard lifeline for airline miles collectors 19th Aug 10 at 3:34 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Loyalty card holders in a Christmas saving scheme will no longer see rewards cut, following the supermarket's re-think ..."

Page 1
    • withabix
    • By withabix 19th Aug 10, 3:59 PM
    • 8,959 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    withabix
    • 19th Aug 10, 3:59 PM
    • 19th Aug 10, 3:59 PM
    That's good news for those affected.

I converted approx £150 earlier today - I was sweating on them arriving before I went on holiday next week, otherwise I would have lost 6000 miles!
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
    • Dinah93
    • By Dinah93 19th Aug 10, 4:11 PM
    • 11,307 Posts
    • 45,575 Thanks
    Dinah93
    • 19th Aug 10, 4:11 PM
    • 19th Aug 10, 4:11 PM
    Does anyone actually understand the airmiles system?! I keep going on their website as we're looking for return flights for two to Japan next March/April time, but it just gives me cash prices - when I want to know it in airmiles.

Also, do you just need to request the airmiles by the September cut off date, or spend them too?
    Debt January 1st 2018 £65,773.65
    Debt November 1st 2018 £55,564.51
    £10,209.14/15.52% paid off
    Met NIM 23/06/2008
  • JPS29
    • 19th Aug 10, 5:36 PM
    Again another case of MSE ruining it for the consumer, just as in the poundland threads

"The supermarket giant tweaked the rules of its loyalty programme after we alerted it to the case of MoneySaver Dan Barrington who has collected 10,500 points this year."

I genuinely love this site and its forums and have saved more than a few quid but ffs, whats with all the running to companies when a good deal is spotted and reporting it to them. End result the consumer (that this site is there for) ends up out of pocket/missing out on deals.
    • thepearce
    • By thepearce 19th Aug 10, 5:36 PM
    • 2,188 Posts
    • 12,964 Thanks
    thepearce
    Does anyone actually understand the airmiles system?! I keep going on their website as we're looking for return flights for two to Japan next March/April time, but it just gives me cash prices - when I want to know it in airmiles.

Also, do you just need to request the airmiles by the September cut off date, or spend them too?
    Originally posted by Dinah93
    It'll be request. Airmiles will remain valid - but you should earn at least one mile every year (may be 2 years but safe with 1) to keep them so.

I top up at shell sometimes which is not a great earner but enough to get me the one mile I need.

If you are asking for miles price and you see cash it may mean there are no miles only flights. Give them a call.

There are no full miles prices available for the dates you have chosen. However, a list of cash prices for flights on your chosen dates are shown below.
    Last edited by thepearce; 19-08-2010 at 5:39 PM.
    • Sagz
    • By Sagz 19th Aug 10, 5:47 PM
    • 5,658 Posts
    • 8,396 Thanks
    Sagz
    • 19th Aug 10, 5:47 PM
    • 19th Aug 10, 5:47 PM
    Again another case of MSE ruining it for the consumer, just as in the poundland threads

"The supermarket giant tweaked the rules of its loyalty programme after we alerted it to the case of MoneySaver Dan Barrington who has collected 10,500 points this year."

I genuinely love this site and its forums and have saved more than a few quid but ffs, whats with all the running to companies when a good deal is spotted and reporting it to them. End result the consumer (that this site is there for) ends up out of pocket/missing out on deals.
    Originally posted by JPS29
    Huh?
    How has MSE ruined anything? All it's done is help people who would have missed out.
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree!
  • JPS29
    • 19th Aug 10, 5:56 PM
    • 19th Aug 10, 5:56 PM
    First part of news article on MSE

Tesco has offered a lifeline to Clubcard holders in a Christmas saving scheme who feared the loss of airline miles following the loyalty programme's revamp.

Further down....

Miles cut
    The supermarket giant tweaked the rules of its loyalty programme after we alerted it to the case of MoneySaver Dan Barrington who has collected 10,500 points this year.

I may have misunderstood but from the above I took it to mean that MSE had asked TEsco to confirm that 10,500 points could be earned yada yada, just as in the poundland threads where they asked poundland to confirm they were selling boots tights super cheap and creams etc, Then poundland removed them.

If I am wrong I will edit my post, but I'm now confused
    • Sagz
    • By Sagz 19th Aug 10, 6:46 PM
    • 5,658 Posts
    • 8,396 Thanks
    Sagz
    • 19th Aug 10, 6:46 PM
    • 19th Aug 10, 6:46 PM
    The revamp was nothing to do mith MSE, Tesco lowered the amount of Airmiles / BA Miles that you could buy with clubcard tokens.

What MSE have done is alert Tesco to the fact that some Clubcard savers elected earlier in the year not to have vouchers delivered through the year, but to save them all until just before Christmas. These people would miss out on the Airmiles / BA Miles current rate which ends in September.

Thanks to MSE these people will now be allowed to buy their miles at the benificial rate.

Thank You MSE
    Some days you're the dog..... most days you're the tree!
  • JPS29
    • 19th Aug 10, 6:49 PM
    • 19th Aug 10, 6:49 PM
    Ahhhh, facepalm moment.

I will leave my posts up just in case anyone else made the same misunderstanding too. I did cover my back though by saying I love MSE first
    • withabix
    • By withabix 19th Aug 10, 7:01 PM
    • 8,959 Posts
    • 7,908 Thanks
    withabix
    Clubcard/BA Miles/Airmiles/other exploits have been going on ever since BA Miles and Airmiles joined Tesco (from Sainsbury) all those years ago.

Tesco are trying to get people to spend their points in-store and the partners have been getting more Clubcard traffic than they expected, hence the Deals are gradually getting wound back a bit in generosity.

At its peak, people were getting new cars in exchange for points and no money.

Don't be alarmed at my signature - I'm only a small time collector.
    Last edited by withabix; 19-08-2010 at 7:03 PM.
    British Ex-pat in British Columbia!
  • fairyfloss

You have to book almost a year in advance. The number of airmile seats on a plane are very few and go very quickly. If you are shown cash prices it usually means that all the seats on that day have been taken. I booked two flights to New York exactly one year in advance and got them but a week later there were non left. Try different dates if you can. Good luck.
    • gardner1
    • By gardner1 21st Aug 10, 6:48 PM
    • 2,983 Posts
    • 4,650 Thanks
    gardner1

if your booking in school holidays there will be no free seats allocated
    • ampersand
    • By ampersand 22nd Aug 10, 8:07 AM
    • 8,623 Posts
    • 34,227 Thanks
    ampersand
    I have just seen this in the body of the copy:

Tesco stresses that while it is cutting the rewards earned, it has offered two Clubcard points per £1 spent since August last year, rather than the previous one point per pound. It says there are no plans to end this promotion.
    ##########
    As I understood it, this 'doubling' element finished at the time of last quarter's statements i.e. 24/7.
    As I have a CC+ it was even more valuable to me.
    Can anyone confirm whether or not the 'double points on every £ spent' still applies. I don't see it on any receipts now.
    Thankyou.

Withabix - I suspect we are alike. I cannot bear to see people using vouchers against in-store shopping. Such a waste!
    Last edited by ampersand; 23-08-2010 at 8:57 AM.
    CAP[UK]for FREE EXPERT DEBT&BUDGET HELP:01274 760720, freephone0800 328 0006
    'People don't want much. They want: "Someone to love, somewhere to live, somewhere to work and something to hope for."
    Norman Kirk, NZLP- Prime Minister, 1972
    ***JE SUIS CHARLIE***
    'It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere' François-Marie AROUET

• helshaw2002
    Double points is still on.

It is not the case that no flights are available for airmiles during holidays. This year we booked with Airmiles to go to Boston in April during the school holidays 8 weeks before we travelled. Had to try a few different dates but go what we wanted. Even better got the internal flight from Glasgow to Heathrow included as well. These seats are obviously very popular so if you do have specific dates in mind, book as far in advance as you can.
    • veryintrigued
    • By veryintrigued 28th Nov 10, 2:15 PM
    • 2,816 Posts
    • 2,390 Thanks
    veryintrigued
    I followed these instructions and was advised to send my vouchers in to Tescos with a covering letter.

Two weeks of chasing and I have received an email from Customer.Relations@TescoFreetime.com stating that they havent received the letter (and vouchers and a copy of this article). More concerning is that they are trying to renege on this agreement.

i.e. those of us within the Christmas saver (who were unable to take the airmiles at the higher rate as we in the afore mentioned saving scheme) are supposed to be resigned to be happy at getting a worse deal than 'normal clubcard savers' who were able swap these.

I have now asked the Customer Service Manager to escalate this.

In parrallel I will be asking Guy Anker who wrote this article to investigate and highlight this.

I've also just come out of the Christmas Saver scheme too.

Poor service this so far from Tescos.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,903Posts Today

7,301Users online

Martin's Twitter