Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 1
  • catnatlady
    • 18th Aug 10, 2:41 AM
    Planting veggies
    • 18th Aug 10, 2:41 AM
    It's still not too late to plant certain veggies- carrots, onions, late potatoes - and they taste so much better than shop bought stuff. Any surplus can be frozen, preserved or distributed to friends.
  • trulymiserable
    • 18th Aug 10, 11:11 AM
    • 18th Aug 10, 11:11 AM
    It's still not too late to plant certain veggies- carrots, onions, late potatoes - and they taste so much better than shop bought stuff. Any surplus can be frozen, preserved or distributed to friends.
    Originally posted by catnatlady
    Can these all be planted into pots and do you mean from the packets of seeds , sorry never planted anything before just thought it would be a fun thing for the kids to get involved in and save money too !
    HOPING TO BE DEBT FREE IN THIS LIFETIME!:rolleyes: Until then Reclaimed 3100 PPi on Llyods loan , sealed pot challenge to be opened june 2011! Total debt at lightbulb moment 28000 now at 17000 long way to go yet.......
    http://www.quidco.com/user/383837/7805
  • sparkiedoll
    • 18th Aug 10, 1:42 PM
    forage for free
    • 18th Aug 10, 1:42 PM
    Go and pick blackberries, apples, damsons, sloes, wimberries (fondly remembered childhood on Dartmoor) are all there for the picking... I have already had loads of blackberries and they are particularly good this year. Eat now or make jam, sloe gin, freeze, wine...make up for gifts....jars of blackberry and apple and a jar of 'crumble mix' with festive fabric lid covers....a great idea for gifts for neighbours, older 'got all they need' friends and family....could keep going but think I will go pick more blackberries with the kids right now!
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 20-08-2010 at 12:50 PM.
  • smiths84
    • 18th Aug 10, 2:27 PM
    • 18th Aug 10, 2:27 PM
    Get your sewing machine serviced. I had a local chap come round and do mine for 35. It now runs like a dream (I hadn't realised the tension was totally screwed) and I have already knocked up some waterproof cushion covers and tablecloth for the patio set and the prototype of a bag which I hope to get into production for Xmas pressies etc over the dark evenings ahead.
  • fluffytrollop
    • 18th Aug 10, 2:48 PM
    late summer planting
    • 18th Aug 10, 2:48 PM
    beetroot, broccoli (for next spring) spuds (for as early as xmas) can all go in pots, of whatever origin you like.anything will do as long as it holds the soil in and lets water drain out. I have mine in plastic tubs, buckets, trays from supermarket fruits, and a couple of bags. Carrots - sow them in smaller plant pots, have some of them on your windowsill. For a bit of extra moneysaving - cut the top 1cm off, replace that in the soil and you'll get another, smaller taproot to eat from that (kids think its interesting but it may be a bit of the miserly side eh) turnip can be planted now. Walllflowers, foxgloves, poppies and a heap of other flowers for your visiting bees.

spinach, lettuce and rocket can also be sown now for a late crop, onions garlic etc, many will get on with it whatever time you plant or sow. Its worth heading off for a couple of bags of cow poo from your nearby farm - and forking that in to the top soil. There are loads of things you can plant or sow now. There are loads of good gardening websites - bbc does a pretty easy to understand one.
    Good luck! would be nice to ohear how you get on.

Compost bins are invaluable - dont forget one of these - freecycle/freegle often have them.
  • Snazbaz
    • 18th Aug 10, 8:34 PM
    Conserving, maintaining, and saving
    • 18th Aug 10, 8:34 PM
    Making sure your loft has enough insulation, fitting draught excluders round doors, letterboxes etc, maintaining the outside of your house (eg painting to protect it from the elements - you should book decorators in early Spring really, as all the best ones get booked up early for the summer), getting your boiler serviced, getting your car serviced, topping up your heating oil tank, comparing your electricity/gas suppliers and switching to a cheaper one before the big bills start rolling in, making your own Xmas cards and gifts, hitting the summer sales for Xmas presents ...
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 20-08-2010 at 12:51 PM.
  • r2d2
    • 18th Aug 10, 8:51 PM
    Loft Insulation
    • 18th Aug 10, 8:51 PM
    We're doing this one, you get the added bonus of clearing the junk out of the attic & potentially making some income from Ebay, and/or clothing some third world residents.

Only cost 150 with Eon (knocked 50 off the door to door salesman price of 200 that was offered with a 'supposed' 80% government grant)
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 20-08-2010 at 12:52 PM. Reason: spelling error!
  • Snazbaz
    • 18th Aug 10, 8:56 PM
    • 18th Aug 10, 8:56 PM
    That's a good one - forgot about the eBay thing!
  • elfen
    One for those with kids - take advantage if the weather is nice and go for walks - possibly make them nature walks by finding leaves, looking at animals and insects. Also, wet days you could get magazines and get them to cut pictures out or draw a simple person figure on paper and make clothes for them out of paper. Keeps them busy and means less money needs to be spent
    ** Total debt: 6950.82 May NSDs 1/10 **
    ** Fat Bum Shrinking: -7/56lbs **
    **SPC 2012 #1498 -152 and 1499 ***
    I do it all because I'm scared.
    • Syman
    • By Syman 19th Aug 10, 7:43 AM
    • 2,504 Posts
    • 6,173 Thanks
    Syman
    Go to a west end show!!

there are still some free child places available for west end shows. Have to buy a full price adult ticket though.

http://www.kidsweek.co.uk/
    Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today!
    Cos if you do it today and like it...You can do it again tomorrow..

Bookworm's Thread 2018 reading Challenge total :- 60/48
  • LondonLady
    EventsApp - iPhone
    Hi all,

For all the iPhone users out there is a great and free App which you must try before the end of summer!

The app is called "EventsApp" and can be downloaded from the App store.

It provides listings for all the popular events going on in London and you can find out all the details through the App and even book too!

This has been a great way for me to keep the kids entertained over the summer as you can get daily, weekly and two weekly listings for events.

We have used the App several times and are currently trying to decide on the next best event to attend as you really are spoilt for choice!

Another bonus is that when you go to an event which is listed within the App, it detects that you are there and sends you additional information to help you make the most of your day out in London!

I recommend this App as it is incredibly helpful, allows you to make the most of summer, is simple to use and best of all its FREE!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,852Posts Today

7,367Users online

Martin's Twitter