MMD: Should I let them bury the dog?

Former_MSE_Penelope
Former_MSE_Penelope Posts: 536 Forumite
edited 17 August 2010 at 8:29PM in MoneySaving polls
This is a real life MMD so please bear in mind the MoneySaver in question will read your responses:
Please give this MoneySaver the benefit of your advice...
Should I let them bury the dog?

We're selling our house, and this morning, our prospective buyers turned up to say their Great Dane had died and they wanted to bury it in our garden as they didn't want to leave her behind when they move. They've put in an offer we haven't exchanged yet. Should I take this as a sign of commitment and let them bury the dog, as I don't want to jeopardise the sale?
Click reply to have your say

Previous MMDs: View All

[threadbanner] box [/threadbanner]

Comments

• emidee
    emidee Posts: 71
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    I presume cremating the dog & then having them scatter it's ashes in your garden AFTER you exchange is out of the question?

I'd have reservations about it myself, after all, what if it all falls through? Also, Great Danes are BIG - you don't say how big your garden is but that's gonna be a huge hole!
  • Errata
    Errata Posts: 38,230
    First Post Combo Breaker
    Forumite
    Have a barbie - beer, Pringles and lots of hot dogs !
    .................:)....I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...:)
  • ariba10
    ariba10 Posts: 5,432
    Combo Breaker First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    Why not have a B B Q and have the dog?
    I used to be indecisive but now I am not sure.
  • I'd have to say no. What if the sale falls through? And where is the dog right now?
  • This is the easiest yet. The answer is of course no.

This is for the reason that it is illegal to bury pets in your garden. I'd suggest something along the lines of "I am a law abiding citizen and would not like to aid or abet you in your illegal activites, please leave my property".

I thought better of this site but I guess it's indicative of the downhill ride of this site.
  • Cloudane
    Cloudane Posts: 524
    First Post First Anniversary
    Forumite
    edited 17 August 2010 at 10:10PM
    Hehe these get better and better.

As part of the agreement to them doing it, I think I'd want the deal to be final. Presumably if it fell through they wouldn't want the dog buried there and would remove it, but... it'd be a bit annoying at that point.

Edit: must admit I thought it was common practice amongst pet lovers. It's illegal??

Edit 2: looks like it's legal but has to be where the dog lived (maybe the councils are scared of lost doggy ghosts!) http://www.gardenlaw.co.uk/gardenburial.html
  • ariba10
    Forumite
    jay.tyler wrote: »
    This is the easiest yet. The answer is of course no.

This is for the reason that it is illegal to bury pets in your garden. .

How long has that been law?
  • I believe that it was brought in early 2000s - supposedly for health reasons. I guess the government are still working out how they're going to stop wild animals dying willy Billy and perhaps are setting up a training program to teach them to go to the vet before popping off.

Just because something is wide spread doesn't mean it's legal! Look at DVD piracy!
  • What is the problem with having a dog buried in your garden?
  • ariba10
    Forumite
    There are a few been buried in our garden over the years.

(And no doubt there will be few more.)
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 342.5K Banking & Borrowing
  • 249.9K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.4K Spending & Discounts
  • 234.6K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 172.8K Life & Family
  • 247.4K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure