Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Jul 10, 12:34 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    August 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th Jul 10, 12:34 PM
    August 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th Jul 10 at 12:34 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the eighth Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your July budget, then keep on posting in the July 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-07-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Page 28
  • sofababe
    Another £4.24 in As*a for the weekend's veg supplies.
    • unhappy_shopper
    • By unhappy_shopper 13th Aug 10, 3:03 PM
    • 1,294 Posts
    • 7,062 Thanks
    unhappy_shopper
    I was hoping for a NSD today. Still £1 for 2x4 pints of milk at MrT is not bad.
    Mortgage: @ Feb. 2007: £133,200; Apr. 2011: £24,373; May 2011: £175,999; Jun 2013: ~£97K; Mar. 2014 £392,212.73; Dec. 2015: £327,051.77; Mar. 2016: ~£480K; Mar. 2017 £444,445.74
  • KITTY
    After saying I didn't need anything I've been and spent another £11.05 in Mr M

They've got the Fibre plus bars on BOGOF so had to get 6 boxes plus a few other necessities.....

I really need to stay away from the shops. Thankfully I'm back to work Monday so I'll be away from temptation.

Merry Christmas
    • gailey
    • By gailey 13th Aug 10, 5:22 PM
    • 2,303 Posts
    • 17,249 Thanks
    gailey
    As paydays 15th august challange starts here hate starting later than others

After a serious overspend last month trying again.

Went to farmfood for 1st time bulk brought milk as 2 4pints for 1.50 we been paying 1.56 in sainsburys and brought 8.
    Sugar 58p a pack brought 6
    hovis 2 for quid so 50p each brought 6.
    lots of frozen veg, chips ect quite impressed.

Went to butchers spent 27quid brought huge gammon joint as we like our proper ham and its pricey so hoping saving there, lots of beef for casserole, some lovley steaks eating tonight and lots sausages will freeze sausage casserole and bangers and mash.
    Also lots of bacon-we like bacon in pasta a cheap way to add meat for meat loving hubby.

Spent 6quid in newfarm shop was hoping it be cheap and looking for huge bag of poatoes but sadly found neither.

So far spent 106/250budget would prefer 200 but hubby thinks 250 more realistic will see.

Hes just gone sainsburys shopping for his mother and getting few bots probably 5-10quids worth as well as filling up with petrol and getting his fags.
    will update later.

Still working out meal plans for august as hubbys fed up of lasagne so think im planning on batchcooking and freezeing

casseroles
    bangers and mash
    shepards pie
    fish pie
    beef pie.
    quiche.
    cornish pasties.

Not sure what else need inspiration.

will go co-op sunday in hope of good reductions.everything else too pricey.

will go lidls and morrisions proabably next week then bar milk and bread I hope we done for month.

Need to step up the biscuits and cakes as dident do as much as I wanted last month.

This month need to buy more sugar, flour, butter and eggs.

Freezers worrying full mostly with foraged fruit so might have to start the jams and chutneys soonish.
    pad by xmas2010 £14,636.65/£20,000:
    Pay off as much as I can 2011 £15008.02/£15,000

new grocery challenge £200/£250 feb

KEEP CALM AND CARRY ON,Onwards and upward2013
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 13th Aug 10, 5:41 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    just popping in to report NSD today
    Having a chinese later but im not buying so even better
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 13th Aug 10, 5:55 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    I'd grate in just a square or two to a quite big panful. You aren't meant to taste chocolate at all, it just imparts a sort of richness and depth of flavour to the chilli rather than being another flavour itself, so don't worry about it making the chilli sweet and chocolatey or anything like that. Unless of course you sling the entire bar in there! If you think about it, the sort of very dark chocolate like this that you are meant to use has a kind of savoury taste rather than being sweet anyway.
    Originally posted by CupOfChai
    Well I was using mini-Hershey bars! (We get buy them every blue moon from Costco) The dark ones are the last to go so I added 2 bite size bars, about 2 normal choclate squares to a very large pot. So I'd try one for a normal pan of chilli.

It didn't taste at all of chocolate, just richer somehow.

Hope that helps

Winky x
    Originally posted by Winky, The House Elf
    Thanks to both of you for your replies. I'll probably make some in the next couple of weeks so will give it a go!

Officially I spent today, but it won't be counted. Approximately £15 on cakes for work (it's my birthday tomorrow). But I didn't realise it is also someone elses too, so we'd both brought cakes etc in! Usually the amount i'd bought would easily have been eaten by everyone, but not today so there was quite a lot leftover which some people took home and we've kept some for next week. I knew I should have taken them in on Monday! I have 5 chocolate doughnuts, 2 apple pies, a bakewell tart and some caramel shortbread stuff, so will attempt to freeze some and eat what definitely won't freeze...what a shame

Took 5 courgettes off my plants when I got home (woohoo!) so will use them up during the week.

I'm out with my brother and sister tomorrow so will probably do a bit of shopping then. We're going out for dinner and then to the theatre so should be a nice day
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
    • suzybloo
    • By suzybloo 13th Aug 10, 6:03 PM
    • 1,079 Posts
    • 8,715 Thanks
    suzybloo
    Just updating my totals.Still not spending much with all the gifted food I got from SIL freezer disaster.I had some conditional spends for MrT so stocked up on shaving gel and deoderant but it feels funny having to run past the reduced section so I dont get tempted! Off out for lunch tomorrow for my birthday.Free ferry to an island restaurant and always take small bottles of wine and a diddy wee cake for scoffing on the beach afters.It better be sunny! Take care.
    Originally posted by russetred

that sounds idyllic - I see you are on a wee island on the west coast of Scotland, there could be no place better sitting on a beach with a bottle of wine, some of these beaches are fantastic I hope you get the weather you are looking for - the east coast is to have lovely sunny weather - for a changeso hopefully we can share it with you too!
    Every days a School day!
    • jayII
    • By jayII 13th Aug 10, 6:07 PM
    • 38,158 Posts
    • 107,076 Thanks
    jayII
    Walked into town this afternoon and bought some bits, including poundshop academic diaries, apples for my jam, and lots more. I trawled all over to get the best/cheapest offers, and only spent £11.28, on lots of things I really needed.

Off to update siggy.
    Fighting the biggest battle of my life. Started 30th January 2018.
    • CupOfChai
    • By CupOfChai 13th Aug 10, 7:20 PM
    • 1,319 Posts
    • 7,295 Thanks
    CupOfChai
    Hello there, got my week's shop in tonight so adding £21.60 to bring me up to £63.83 thus far. Yikes, getting close to target now! Need to pop in over the weekend or on Monday for a bag of pasta and one of rice, I didn't get these while I was there tonight in the end as my basket was already quite heavy and I thought it would be quite a struggle to carry it all back if I added another 2kg to the weight.
  • katholicos
    Ok, i haven't adjusted my signature yet but before i forget i want to mention that yesterday i spent 39p on a cake and today i spent £4 in the Co-op and £5.10 in Asda on groceries. Well chuffed though because in ASda i picked up 3 x pilau rice whoopsied to 20p each and 3 x thai curry (had been priced at £2.98 each previously!) etc for 20p each and these can all be frozen. I also picked up crusty batons x 3 at only 3p each and i bought 5 x jars of smartprice sweet and sour sauce because i want the jars for chutney making and i love sweet and sour sauce meals. All in all i am thrilled with my bargains. Will go and adjust my siggy now.
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • wssla00
    £15 spend on my yummy monthly take away will update my sig in a mo! I am away next week so no food needed, and then will think about food after that!

Have a good day all
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
  • Hippeechiq
    Welcome to all the newbies

So many of you are doing well this month - well done

I'm not one of them, but well done to everyone, who, like me, isn't having the best of month's, but is still trying

Just £1.10 spent today on some milk, so my total so far is £148.39 out of £275
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
  • wssla00
    I was thinking tomorrow about making rumbledythumps for dinner to use up all the bits in my fridge. Here it is for anyone who has things to use up

Potatoes cubed, par boiled
    Cabbage/Kale/Spring greens finely chopped
    Onion finely sliced
    Grated cheese
    Bacon finely chopped fried

Fry the bacon until it's almost cooked, add the onion and soften, add the cubed potato and fry to crisp up, finally add the greens to wilt then mix in the grated cheese

Enjoy xxx
    • Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 13th Aug 10, 9:09 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    Hi everyone,

not been about for ages or even had chance to read any of the posts.
    Unfortunately due to overwhelming work load and commitments I am not going to be able to continue for the rest of this month plus should be away the first week of Sept. I hope to be back on board with you again from around the 12th Sept and will hopefully get back into the challenge.

Wishing everyone the best of luck and happy savings. See you all soon.

BJ x
    [COLOR="Purple"][B] MARCH £62.38/250 [B][COLOR="Purple"]
  • Hippeechiq
    I was thinking tomorrow about making rumbledythumps for dinner to use up all the bits in my fridge. Here it is for anyone who has things to use up

Potatoes cubed, par boiled
    Cabbage/Kale/Spring greens finely chopped
    Onion finely sliced
    Grated cheese
    Bacon finely chopped fried

Fry the bacon until it's almost cooked, add the onion and soften, add the cubed potato and fry to crisp up, finally add the greens to wilt then mix in the grated cheese

Enjoy xxx
    Originally posted by wssla00
    Mmmmm - that sounds nummy wssla00 does it matter what quantities you use of each?....I'm not a lot of good at guessing. Some people are a chuck-it-in-and-see type cook, but I'm not one of them - I'm hopeless without a recipe, especially when it comes to quantities of ingredients

Could you give me a rough idea of what amounts you use please?
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
    • muffin man 7
    • By muffin man 7 13th Aug 10, 9:34 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    muffin man 7
    been trying to use up stuff from cupboard not doing too bad although i'm not so happy about the amount of stuff that out of date it doesn't bother me so much except anything with milk in but kids think different if it just veg beans or spag in tins dates going back to sept 09 they should be ok ? any help on this would be good don't normaly get so behind on checking stores my migraines have been stopping me for days at a time must try to check more often or just wait til cupboard empty and start again ready for winter anyhow small spend bread milk £2.50 plus bacon for my son £3.60=£6.10 will add to my total tomorrow as we will need more milk and bread again My daughter kindly gave us bread and milk when i looked after my granddaughters eldest one (9 )started calling me carrot granny all because she counted 15 tins of carrots still in date and a few more just out of date which i said will be in my tum soon she was not impressed (didn't tell her about the carrots in the freezer or the other cupboard what can i say i love carrots and with a bit of gravy and mash make a quick cheap meal when its just me hopefully by sorting cupboard i might just make it this month I've also made 2 hampers for my daughters friend she moved house today made a food box and a non food box with a 5yr old and a 2yr old she won't feel like shopping for a day or to it will just get her started and she was a star on my daughters Wedding Day in june she did her hair and make up she looked beautiful so it was my way of saying thank you
    • MadamMim2013
    • By MadamMim2013 13th Aug 10, 9:56 PM
    • 804 Posts
    • 10,180 Thanks
    MadamMim2013
    Yippie, have managed 4 NSD's so far this week & hoping tomorrow will be one as well....

Made a carrot/veggie soup with the extras in the fridge, it didn't taste like I hoped it would but our dog loved it!

Keep up the good work all
    Last edited by MadamMim2013; 13-08-2010 at 9:57 PM. Reason: ooops spelling... again!
    "There's a little witch in all of us"
    2018 GC 93 2019 GC 3 2 JUNE GC £192.92/£300
    : DEBT FREE 06/2018
  • wssla00
    Mmmmm - that sounds nummy wssla00 does it matter what quantities you use of each?....I'm not a lot of good at guessing. Some people are a chuck-it-in-and-see type cook, but I'm not one of them - I'm hopeless without a recipe, especially when it comes to quantities of ingredients

Could you give me a rough idea of what amounts you use please?
    Originally posted by Hippeechiq
    Hello

I usually use 2 pots, a quarter of a cabbage 2 pieces of streaky half an onion and a good handful of grated cheese for two portions

I am definitely a chuck it in and see type of cook!
    • muffin man 7
    • By muffin man 7 13th Aug 10, 10:18 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    muffin man 7
    gdyr1945 as you are already making a picnic why not make a flask of coffee at least it will taste like coffee or what we used to do not every one likes coffee so wed take 2 or 3 2litre flaskes( more than 6 of us at that time) filled with boiling water and the individual coffee sachets and tea bags it was much cheaper i saved more than the cost of the stainless steel flaskes in 1 summer if you only need say 1or2 drinks sometimes you can get the smaller ones in £land inside of one i got was plastic but much better than the old glass ones you might hurt your toes if you drop it but it won't smash and we still got to have our drinks. Mrsgibb1503 thanks for the reminder another reason i get tins carrots is i use them to make a quick soup i really don't like ready made soups yuk
  • laisbojar83
    Morninggggg Everyone,

What a miserable day. Our trip to the park has been cancelled because of the rain
    Today is deffo a SPEND DAY, not that I am happy about it!
    Also, I cheated last night.. and we ordered Dominos, I keep telling myself it was only because any pizza was 10 pounds! Deep down I know there was no need, as we had a big meal but oh well, at least hubby went to bed happy lolol. Down to 3 NSD .
    Made a lovely macarroni cheese last night, I added some streaky bacon i had in the fridge.. YUMMYYYYYYYYYYYY. It was such a massive dish, I have frozen 2 portions YIPPEEEEE
    Also froze the whole batch of pancakes my hubby made yesterday.
    And I have a portion of prawn curry, pork goulash and chicken cassarole in the freezer as well
    That should bring my food shopping down next wednesday.
    I am actually excited about going shopping next week just to see how much I am going to save.
    Thats it for me. We are going to the aqua park today and tomorrow!! Its the kids favourite activity anyway and costs less than a tenner for the 4 of us.
    I hope you all have a lovely Saturdayyyy xx
    LB
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,059Posts Today

9,534Users online

Martin's Twitter