Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 10th Aug 10, 4:31 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Going on holiday? Find out where your pound goes furthest
    • 10th Aug 10, 4:31 PM
    0 WOW
    MSE News: Going on holiday? Find out where your pound goes furthest 10th Aug 10 at 4:31 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"Brits heading to Spain and Portugal will be buoyed by lower prices, but other travellers face hikes ..."

Page 1
  • tryingtogetsolvent
    • 10th Aug 10, 5:28 PM
    • 10th Aug 10, 5:28 PM
    no way is the USA dearer than the UK! It's far far cheaper to eat out in the USA for a starter
    Instant Credit means Instant Debit!

Walking to the pub IS exercise!
    • squowse
    • By squowse 11th Aug 10, 9:32 AM
    • 87 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    squowse
    • 11th Aug 10, 9:32 AM
    off the beaten track?
    • 11th Aug 10, 9:32 AM
    i'm interested in the price of food, drink and accommodation in turkey for example? can it really be so much more than the UK?
    also how hard is it to "get off the beaten track" there. i was thinking about hiring a car.
    I was there as a teenager (1985 to be exact) with my parents and it seemed pretty rough and ready from memory.
  • metalgal
    • 11th Aug 10, 10:02 AM
    • 11th Aug 10, 10:02 AM
    sometimes its better to pay more travel further then get loads from your money when your there. i went to vietnam in june for 10 days and it cost 1000 for flights and accommodation pp. but when we got there it was so cheap we came home with money! our most expensive dinner was $18 usd. that was for three courses two drinks and a cocktail for two people. i brought approx 500 with me but came home with 100 and a suitcase full and a very happy belly.

europe is cheap to get to yes, but its much more expensive for everyday things like food, attraction costs, etc.
  • duckeggblue
    • 11th Aug 10, 2:44 PM
    • 11th Aug 10, 2:44 PM
    I found tunisia very cheap
    If you don't leap, you'll never know what it is to fly
  • bezzza
    • 11th Aug 10, 3:09 PM
    • 11th Aug 10, 3:09 PM
    The prices for Turkey must be the prices they expect you to pay at Dalaman airport (3 for a can of coke although I believe it's even more this year!) because every time I've been to Turkey over last 4 years it's been dirt cheap (less than 10 weeks until our next visit) - obviously each year prices increase but nowhere near what is being implied - think it all depends on where you shop and your standards. I actually found Spain more expensive this year than last year but that doesn't stop me visiting on cheap flights LOL
    Total Prize Value 2012 - 1835
    Thanx to all the good people that post comps (and answers!)
    Be Good, Be Lucky, Be Happy
    • JDPower
    • By JDPower 13th Aug 10, 9:20 PM
    • 1,589 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    JDPower
    • 13th Aug 10, 9:20 PM
    • 13th Aug 10, 9:20 PM
    The prices for Turkey must be the prices they expect you to pay at Dalaman airport (3 for a can of coke although I believe it's even more this year!) because every time I've been to Turkey over last 4 years it's been dirt cheap
    Originally posted by bezzza
    I concur with that, my parents go every year to Turkey BECAUSE it's so cheap.
    Yet they've just come back from Greece complaining of how extortionately expensive everything was, but according to that table the prices are virtually the same as Turkey.

Sorry but that comparison table is twaddle

Oh and one other thing - in the basket contents, a "larger" what? Or has someone being relying too heavily on the spell-checker?
  • pinkcandyflossprincess
    • 15th Aug 10, 12:30 AM
    • 15th Aug 10, 12:30 AM
    i found that lanzarote was basically the same as living in uk-apart from cigs n booze, im sure thats what people survive on
    ***MSE...My.Special.Escape***
  • Flightjunkie
    • 22nd May 11, 5:40 PM
    Spain
    • 22nd May 11, 5:40 PM
    Spain is amazing and has so much to offer, Lanzarote and Malaga I guess are one kind but Granada,Cadiz,Tarrifa,Barcelona,palma all of those are quiet an amazing experience with allot to offer if you are looking for sea and sun with character this is the place!

Travelers who pay more ? not in the USA nor INDIA/MEXIXO/MAROCCO/THAILAND/BRAZIL/ARGENTINA all of those are fairly cheap once you are there, my poin is..the cheapest flights would always be to the closest by destinations,thats a given...but for a brit-it's pretty cheap to travel.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

88Posts Today

1,165Users online

Martin's Twitter