Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lee
    Great 'Coins Down the Back of Your Sofa' Hunt
    • 9th Aug 10, 2:38 PM
    Great 'Coins Down the Back of Your Sofa' Hunt 9th Aug 10 at 2:38 PM
    Great 'Coins Down the Back of Your Sofa' Hunt

It’s been reported this week there’s 42,900,000 of coins stuck down the back of the sofa. So this week I want to set all MoneySavers a challenge, to snoop in the nooks and crannies of and see what you can find – a collective clear out. Then report how much you got, where you got it, and what you’re going to do with it.

Place to check

Back of sofas
    Back of car seats
    Pockets of old clothes
    Bottom of the washing basket
    Back of 'man' drawer
    Swimming pool lockers
    Bottom of wardrobe
    Lint trap of tumble dryer

PLEASE ADD MORE BELOW - WE'LL UPDATE THIS

View past Great Hunts

This Forum Tip was included in MoneySavingExpert's weekly email

Don't miss out on new deals, loopholes, and vouchers

Last edited by Former MSE Lee; 16-08-2010 at 3:45 PM.
Page 1
  • phantom7
    • 11th Aug 10, 12:29 AM
    Nothing...
    • 11th Aug 10, 12:29 AM
    Nothing down the back of my sofa or anywhere else... Vacuum there every other day... Would be fun if I didnt! I would've found an unexpected fraction of the millions! :-(
  • mickbhall
    • 11th Aug 10, 12:39 AM
    • 11th Aug 10, 12:39 AM
    Nothing down the sofa. Although in my last cat there must of been atleast 15 under the seat runnner imposible to get,
    Major design floor i thought.
    il check my current car way better at not losing money may be 20p or so.
    Last edited by mickbhall; 11-08-2010 at 12:41 AM.
    • Antispam
    • By Antispam 11th Aug 10, 12:46 AM
    • 3,933 Posts
    • 3,466 Thanks
    Antispam
    • 11th Aug 10, 12:46 AM
    • 11th Aug 10, 12:46 AM
    Wont be much if anything down my sofa dont carry much money most purchases are paid by debt card and anything substantial in cash is only in house when we have to pay for something in cash like workmen
    • skintdragon
    • By skintdragon 11th Aug 10, 1:28 AM
    • 290 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    skintdragon
    • 11th Aug 10, 1:28 AM
    blimey!
    • 11th Aug 10, 1:28 AM
    That's a HUGE mission; I have change all over my flat!

This is going to take me WEEKS!

(scurries off and looks for loose pennies etc...)

Will report back in over a fortnight; off to work at fantasy land that is the North Sea...
    Hindsight is a wonderful thing...
    One of Mike's Mob! yea!!!
    F
    inally settled full balance of RBS personal loan ahead of schedule on 10th August 2010

DEBT FREE AT LAST... BUT FOR HOW LONG?!
    • skintdragon
    • By skintdragon 11th Aug 10, 1:30 AM
    • 290 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    skintdragon
    • 11th Aug 10, 1:30 AM
    • 11th Aug 10, 1:30 AM
    Nothing down the sofa. Although in my last cat there must of been atleast 15 under the seat runnner imposible to get,
    Major design floor i thought.
    il check my current car way better at not losing money may be 20p or so.
    Originally posted by mickbhall
    "Cat" or was that a typo?

Poor kitty- cat!
    F
    inally settled full balance of RBS personal loan ahead of schedule on 10th August 2010

• skintmostofthetime
    • By skintmostofthetime 11th Aug 10, 10:27 AM
    • 294 Posts
    • 204 Thanks
    skintmostofthetime
    • 11th Aug 10, 10:27 AM
    • 11th Aug 10, 10:27 AM
    We can beat this - gone away free because my employers were paying - in this huge hotal -now burnt down in Harrogate - sitting in the lounge waiting for my bosses to arrive, husband got bored and started putting his hand down side of the huge sofas - found 2 then more - 20 in pound coins all in. Bonus. !!
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 13-08-2010 at 11:10 AM.
    • skintdragon
    • By skintdragon 11th Aug 10, 10:38 AM
    • 290 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    skintdragon
    • 11th Aug 10, 10:38 AM
    • 11th Aug 10, 10:38 AM
    Damn, was going to ask where in Harrogate... I would've nipped over there in the car to hunt out the cash!!
    F

• Andrea24
    • 11th Aug 10, 11:07 AM
    Look inside old books!
    • 11th Aug 10, 11:07 AM
    I found a very old (but crisp) one-pound note inside an old book while clearing out last week.
    • kevanf1
    • By kevanf1 11th Aug 10, 12:16 PM
    • 297 Posts
    • 210 Thanks
    kevanf1
    I can beat all of you so far :-)

Now, strictly speaking this has not come from down the backs of sofas etc so forgive me... My wife and I do not have a problem with picking up the discarded 1p, 2p, 5p, 10 p and increasingly 20p coins that so many folks seem to just throw on the floor as soon as they walk out of a shop. We have been collecting these for a few years now and at the last count we had about 35 in total. All of this for free because others didn't want it.

Keep on chucking it away folks I say.

Take care.

Kevan
  • mickbhall
    "Cat" or was that a typo?

Poor kitty- cat!
    Originally posted by skintdragon
    Typoo im not that cruel to do that to kitty kat
    • InaPickle
    • By InaPickle 11th Aug 10, 1:55 PM
    • 5,924 Posts
    • 32,938 Thanks
    InaPickle
    This reminds me of the Comic Relief year when they asked everyone to donate their spare change. It was a huge success and just goes to show that looking after the pennies really does look after the pounds.
    Please call me 'Pickle'
    No More Buying Books: ???
    No More Buying DVDs: ???
    NMB Toiletries ??? and I've gone back for my Masters at the University of Use Ups!
    P
    roud to be dealing with her debts 1198~

• MattieCat
    • By MattieCat 11th Aug 10, 2:14 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    MattieCat
    Not down the sofa ....
    ... but I often find money in the street. Usually the odd 20p or 10p but I will pick up a 1p. I have also found a 10 note. I did not keep it but gave it to the Poppy Appeal.
    • dobbiesloan
    • By dobbiesloan 11th Aug 10, 2:43 PM
    • 1,540 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    dobbiesloan
    Why do they think they are lost. I know exactly where mine are. I have 3 demijohns full of 1's 2's & 5.s. anyone want to count them?
    GONE ENGLAND
  • burgesst
    I did this a little while ago. I have a pot where I throw all my change, and being a bloke, I normally only put a few pound coins in my pocket when I go out and use notes or cards for the rest, so it tends to build up.

I emptied the pot and counted it up, and was amazed to total over 250 ! There was 90+ in pound coins alone!

The 1s, 2s, 5s, 10s and 20s went in the supermarket coin sorter, the rest I'm attempting to spend.

And last weekend, I cleared out the loft and found another 10 in coins that I used to keep in the car for emergencies!
    • Kate78
    • By Kate78 11th Aug 10, 3:08 PM
    • 516 Posts
    • 627 Thanks
    Kate78
    My OH confessed to me he has a guilty pleasure of checking the lockers at the swimming pool (when no-one's looking) for abandoned pound coins.
    Barclaycard 0% - 1688.37 Paid off 10.06.12
    • mememememe
    • By mememememe 11th Aug 10, 3:20 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 26 Thanks
    mememememe
    I did this a little while ago. I have a pot where I throw all my change, and being a bloke, I normally only put a few pound coins in my pocket when I go out and use notes or cards for the rest, so it tends to build up.

I emptied the pot and counted it up, and was amazed to total over 250 ! There was 90+ in pound coins alone!

The 1s, 2s, 5s, 10s and 20s went in the supermarket coin sorter, the rest I'm attempting to spend.

And last weekend, I cleared out the loft and found another 10 in coins that I used to keep in the car for emergencies!
    Originally posted by burgesst
    For future reference it might be better to pay the coins into your bank account rather than using coin-sorting machines as these charge a fee.
    • Chanty17
    • By Chanty17 11th Aug 10, 3:21 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Chanty17
    Not quite - but sort of!
    OK - not quite the same as down the back of the sofa but in the man drawer (those of you who've seen the Michael Macintyre DVD will know what I mean!) Upon booking a recent trip to Vegas, my husband went to look in the nooks and crannies to see if he had any American coins anywhere - he found $700 he didn't know he had!! Not only did that make us feel great - but also the knowledge that we would have got a much better exchange rate on it when it was purchased then if we bought it now!
    Last edited by Former MSE Penelope; 13-08-2010 at 11:17 AM.
  • burgesst
    For future reference it might be better to pay the coins into your bank account rather than using coin-sorting machines as these charge a fee.
    Originally posted by mememememe
    Yes, you're quite right, they take a commission of about 8%. That's why only the small ones went in, I couldn't be bothered sorting them!
    • luxor4t
    • By luxor4t 11th Aug 10, 3:50 PM
    • 10,297 Posts
    • 37,132 Thanks
    luxor4t
    Absolutely nothing: I check weekly

Please see my signature for our 'road kill' total so far this year, July raised us 91p alone
    Last edited by luxor4t; 11-08-2010 at 3:52 PM.
    I can cook and sew, make flowers grow.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,151Posts Today

7,568Users online

Martin's Twitter