Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Jul 10, 12:34 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    August 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th Jul 10, 12:34 PM
    August 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th Jul 10 at 12:34 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the eighth Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your July budget, then keep on posting in the July 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-07-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Page 17
  • Trinny
    £65 spent today - we had run out of just about everything.

Still have half the budget to spend though so far so good.

Trin
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May £39.47/£55. June £47.20/£50. July £38.44/£50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    £2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011
    • Lindy - Loo
    • By Lindy - Loo 7th Aug 10, 6:40 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 8,403 Thanks
    Lindy - Loo
    Had my first and last online shop delivered from asda. bits missing, rang customer services and was told we would be refunded then get a call from the store saying they will deliver the missing bags of shopping within an hour and cancel the refund. Two hours later no shopping and another call to asda to be told that they wouldnt deliver as the refund had been done and thanked for being patient as I waited in!

Spent £33.90, still need to get bits on monday. Even the £10 off and free delivery didnt make it worth it
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
  • Hippeechiq
    I have to confess - I reckon the first 6 or so online orders I received from A$da were a shambles, this was before I was made redundant and I refused to spend my precious days off grocery shopping, so I stuck with it.

And all of a sudden it all came together. I never allow any substitutes, that way, if they haven't got what I've ordered, I don't end up with something I really don't want, and I'm not charged for it. That said, the A$da store that my order was being "picked" from, changed, and that's when it all fell into place. So I think it has a lot to do with the standard of the "pickers" in whatever store your order comes from.

Small spend today on milk and flora of £3.60 bring total spends so far this month to £131.12 out of a £275 budget.....think I'm gonna seriously have to consider trying not to have my 2nd fortnightly shop of the month on the 18th to have any chance of coming in on budget .....it could be done I feel sure, as my cupboards are full as is my freezer, and I can buy $limfast for my daughter locally, as and when needed. It's worth pondering on.

Should at least have a NSD tomorrow - hopefully
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
    • cw18
    • By cw18 7th Aug 10, 7:55 PM
    • 8,081 Posts
    • 86,080 Thanks
    cw18
    Unfortunately I didn't add it up as I went round, so didn't know what the total was until it was all put through the till, otherwise I would have made it up to £40. The voucher is only valid until Sunday, but I do have another one that is valid for next week so maybe I'll use that one.
    Originally posted by Sue14
    Some supermarkets (and I know Mr M is one of them, as I work there and have seen it done) can 'park' your shopping while you go back for something you've forgotten/go home for the bank card/purse you forgot. Basically this means the till spits out what looks like a receipt with a bar code (that they retain), then allows them to carry on with the next customer. When you get back to the till they scan the 'receipt' which puts the till back to the original position and then add on your additional bits (and you normally get to queue jump as well, as they want your loaded trolley moving on ).

So if this ever happens to you anywhere again, it's always worth asking if it's possible to do this
    Cheryl
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 7th Aug 10, 7:56 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    hi spent £14 in i**land today on bits and pieces for roast tomorrow, weathers been a bit rubbish here today so didnt stay out for long.

I also made the spanish sausage casserole that someone mentioned on here and we all enjoyed it my son and oh even asked for more

Going to look for more recipes now to try out
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
    • cw18
    • By cw18 7th Aug 10, 8:08 PM
    • 8,081 Posts
    • 86,080 Thanks
    cw18
    Spent 90p yesterday, on 10 packs of part baked baguettes (2 to a pack, and should have been 39p/pack).

This was my only spend of the day, but I figured the saving was worth losing an NSD for..... now I just need to figure out how to turn some of them into garlic baguettes

Spent rather more today, but need to tot it up yet as it was split over 3 stores and the spend in 2 of them include non-GC items as well

(was never going to be an NSD as was taking DD and GDs out for a 'birthday trip' for GD1 - she decided she'd get loads of pressies from the friends who came to her party and wanted days out from family/god-parents etc...... and she only turned 7 last week too, so I'm very proud of her for saying that this would save her Mummy from having to find things for them to do during the school holiday )
    Cheryl
    • pepsi-kins
    • By pepsi-kins 7th Aug 10, 8:18 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 1,984 Thanks
    pepsi-kins
    Hi All,
    I'm up to £108.92 out of a total budget of £150, which as its only the 7th sounds bad, however I do only need fruit, veg and yogurts for the rest of the month. We've had a few new meals this week, as I am determined to use stuff up from the cupboards, rather than buy more things, and I saw some good whoopsies. I made courgette fritters, and had with jacket potatoe and salad (DH said he hates courgette, can't stand the texture of them!??!!) they were really nice we both cleared our plates, so cougette can't be that bad!! And I made yesterday red lentil pasta sauce, and that was really nice too, I didn't think it would be, but was really surprised. So thats two new meals for the menu planner.

I've done a bit of baking today, and made lemon and cranberry muffins, orange breakfast muffins and mincemeat crumble bars (sainsbury's had 800g jar of mincemeat reduced from £1.40 ish down to 40p, its got BBD of Sept 2011.

Take care everyone x
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 7th Aug 10, 8:45 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    I've done a bit of baking today, and made lemon and cranberry muffins
    Originally posted by pepsi-kins
    They sound yummy! Any chance of the recipe please?
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
    • Winchelsea
    • By Winchelsea 7th Aug 10, 8:51 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 9,316 Thanks
    Winchelsea
    Did what is for me a BIG shop this morning at S**nsb*ry, and spent £26.06, which means I have £22.51 left, to last until 31st. Had 3 big bags of shopping for that. And, I did something new for me - bought the "meal deal" - main course, side dish, dessert and a bottle of wine all for £10. DD2 and I had the main and side for our lunch, but didn't break in to the cheese - there looks to be enough there to see me through the rest of the month. Same with the wine - DD had to drive back to Wales, so wine not a good idea - but I will make one bottle of wine last 6 days.
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 7th Aug 10, 9:13 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Some supermarkets (and I know Mr M is one of them, as I work there and have seen it done) can 'park' your shopping while you go back for something you've forgotten/go home for the bank card/purse you forgot. Basically this means the till spits out what looks like a receipt with a bar code (that they retain), then allows them to carry on with the next customer. When you get back to the till they scan the 'receipt' which puts the till back to the original position and then add on your additional bits (and you normally get to queue jump as well, as they want your loaded trolley moving on ).

So if this ever happens to you anywhere again, it's always worth asking if it's possible to do this
    Originally posted by cw18
    Yes-we used to do this in Iceland for various customers at times-we called it a suspended sale. Number on ticket can then be simply typed in the till and it all comes back like magic!
    My present workplace also do this-a very useful facility.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • muffin man 7
    • By muffin man 7 7th Aug 10, 9:26 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    muffin man 7
    Cw18 to turn part baked baguettes into garlic ones slice across diagonally but not all the way through mix butter marg which ever have with mashed up garlic or if i run out i use garlic granules and a sprinkle of dried parsley spread into the cuts you made the put in oven 10 mins I haven't had any for a while and i've got some part baked ones need using up so thanks for reminding me hope that helps
    Last edited by muffin man 7; 07-08-2010 at 9:26 PM. Reason: text missing
    • greent
    • By greent 7th Aug 10, 9:31 PM
    • 8,189 Posts
    • 83,195 Thanks
    greent
    Chocolate Courgette Cake
    [QUOTE=Mrsgibbs1503;35449361]
    . I've also made 2 chocolate courgette cakes QUOTE]

Yummy... sounds good!! is the recipie on here somewhere??
    Originally posted by greent

Ingredients:
    350gm S/R flour
    1 tsp baking powder
    75gm cocoa powder
    1/2 tsp mixed spice (but I used just freshly grated nutmeg last time & a pinch of cinnamon)
    50gm dark choc (70% min), finely grated
    350gm caster sugar
    3 eggs
    175ml olive oil (can use sunflower)
    2 tsp vanilla essence
    500ml (by volume in a jug) of finely grated courgette (inc skin)
    Optional: 100gm chopped nuts (whatever sort you like)

Method:
    Mix dry ingredients in one bowl. Mix wet ingredients in another (inc courgettes). Combine wet and dry ingredients until just mixed together.

Bake at 160degrees (fan) / 180degrees for approx 45-55minutes until skewer comes out clean.

Quite a moist cake and not overly sweet. Keeps for quite a while (thanks to the oil, I believe)
    500ml grated courgette (by volume in a measuring jug)
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £3757/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £513.64/£500
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 7th Aug 10, 9:32 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Garlic baguettes-My dd did these too-a different way-but depends if you like it strong and crispy! She sliced through lengthways-cut and crushed garlic cloves and spread them on top in ample amounts. Baked the bread as instructed on the packet. Rather strong and so yummy I could have stuffed myself on garlic baguettes all day. Any homemade version is far superior to anything readymade and after eating these I will never buy them ready done again. I think you will be a convert!
    Last edited by angelatgraceland; 07-08-2010 at 9:51 PM.
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is £1500 pa £125 calendar month £28.84 pw for 3 adults
    • pepsi-kins
    • By pepsi-kins 7th Aug 10, 9:50 PM
    • 94 Posts
    • 1,984 Thanks
    pepsi-kins
    They sound yummy! Any chance of the recipe please?
    Originally posted by freakyogre
    Lemon and Cranberry Muffins

Mix 150g of plain flour with 50g sugar, 1/2 tsp of baking powder and a pinch of salt. Grate the zest of one lemon, and add, along with 75g of cranberries

Melt 50g of butter and leave to cool.

Beat an egg, add the juice of the lemon, and add 50 - 100mls of milk

Mix the wet with the dry. Cook on 200c for 20 - 25 mins
  • ChocClare
    Am feeling quite holy today because I did my first-ever online shop through my supermarket via quidco and actually managed to keep the price down PLUS I went onto Weezl's site and made this recipe for supper using onions from the garden, eggs from the hens, some ancient flour and even more ancient mustard powder and (admittedly quite a lot of) BOGOF cheddar. I don't think I could eat only what's on that site for a whole month, but I shall be dipping back in to pinch recipes as they have nice veggie-looking ones.

Having spent practically the whole day running backwards and forwards to deal with farriers/unwilling horses/husband risking his life with very grumpy bees, I'll update my signature tomorrow - wish I could say I've had some NSDs, but you can't have everything. Investment in the future, that's the word...
  • Hippeechiq
    I've made that Onion Tart twice now, and although I know one shouldn't blow ones own trumpet - it's one of the damned finest things I've ever eaten! A fabulous Weezl recipe!

I'd also love to eat more recipes from the site, but my family are too fussy.

I've bought the flour and the yeast to give the No Knead Bread a go, but can't quite build myself up to making it, as I only want to make one loaf which would require quantity adjustments and I'm a bit concerned if wont come out right....still, I suppose I won't know if I don't try

The Carrot Cake is lush by the way - and so very simple.
    Aug11 £193.29/£240

Oct10 £266.72 /£275 Nov10 £276.71/£275 Dec10 £311.33 / £275 Jan11 £242.25/ £250 Feb11 £243.14/ £250 Mar11 £221.99/ £230
    Apr11 £237.39 /£240 May11 £237.71/£240 Jun11 £244.03/ £240 July11 £244.89/ £240
    Xmas 2011 Fund £220
    • muffin man 7
    • By muffin man 7 7th Aug 10, 11:23 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    muffin man 7
    I was hoping saturday would be a nsd but no chance after a bad day (washing machine decided to flood the kitchen again this time though i had 2 little helpers to chuck towels on floor i think they actualy thought it was fun ..if only)I had to get milk the milk i'd got from shop by us had gone sour so i thought i might as well see if i could get any of the thigs for next week today while I was there I ended up spending a total of £38.87 which brings my spend total so far to £68.24 leave £51.76 to end of month good job i'monly counting food I dread to think what my total would be with cleaning and toiletries i'm so glad I did over buy those items when on offer must get total down though as non-food stuff won't last forever
  • katholicos
    Have managed not to do much grocery shopping so far. I do have rather a large stock of discounted food in the pantry and also the freezer is full to the brim. I am very thankful for this being so.

Depending if AF has any good offers on next week, i will probably not do any supermarket shopping so hopefully i am goign to stay on target for this month like i did last month. Here's to a good month for us all
    Grocery Challenge for October: £135/£200

NSD Challenge: October 0/14
  • 4kids4cats
    Hello everyone, I haven't posted on here for ages and I sort of lost the plot at the end of June which carried on into July. Hoping to be back on track for August. I am keeping my budget the same although I did wonder if I would spend more with it being school holidays. However, we had a fantastic (and fantastically cheap) holiday the first week and the lack of packed lunches to buy for seems to be keeping my costs down so far. Fingers crossed!
    So, rather belatedly, could I be put down for £500 for August.
    Only going for 6 NSD's this month as they seem harder to achieve with the kids off!

• highland fling
    Good morning everyone,
    at last the sun is shining this morning so washing machine will be on all day and hopefully washing will be able to dry outside.
    Was given potatoes, cabbage and red and white onions from brother's allotment yesterday. Have just finished using onions he gave me last year. Hung them in pairs of old tights in cupboard under the stairs and they lasted for a whole year.
    So dinner today is pork steaks, cabbage, potatoes and gravy.
    If weather holds will spend some time in garden today. Need to do some weeding and I am also harvesting some seeds.
    Gardens are lovely this time of year. Have a beautiful display of lavender I cut from garden in my front room and it smells heavenly also large vase of crocosmia in kitchen. I love fresh flowers and often buy them in shops but at this time of year the garden provides all I need so that is another little saving.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

648Posts Today

6,151Users online

Martin's Twitter