Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Jul 10, 12:34 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    August 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th Jul 10, 12:34 PM
    August 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th Jul 10 at 12:34 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the eighth Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your July budget, then keep on posting in the July 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great Moneysaving Month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-07-2010 at 12:14 AM.
Page 13
  • JayJay14
    Just over a week into my August challenge and I have got up to a really good start - only 9.46 spent and so far 5 NSD's out of 8.

The main thing is I'm not going to Asda as often but I will need to spend some serious money soon - I've been running down the freezers to use up some of the long term stores and they will need to be replenished soon. I need to batch cook some chilli and a few other things so that wil be a job for the weekend. Made a huge batch of ratatouille last weekend so that will keep OH happy for a while.

Need to make myself a proper shopping list for tomorrow evening to minimise the risk of overspending so I will do that while I'm watching Midsomer - see, multitasking.
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 4th Aug 10, 7:31 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 10,894 Thanks
    Sue14
    Had my first grocery spend of the month today, 2.61 for milk and 2 bananas, but I'm going to do a bigger shop tomorrow as I've run out of a few things.
    Weight loss challenge 3/10lbs
    Total weight loss 21lbs

• cw18
    • By cw18 4th Aug 10, 8:01 PM
    • 8,081 Posts
    • 86,080 Thanks
    cw18
    NSD yesterday

90p spend today on 10 packs (yes, 10 packs) of G0 Ahe@d bars

There have to be some perks to working for a supermarket, and access to heavily discounted out-of-date goods is one of them (These were on yesterdays date, and should eke out the meage supplies I had left until the end of the year, as I use 7/week by having one each break at work since I started running and such 10 weeks ago)

I've also allocated 19p for a loaf of bread I'm hoping will be waiting for me tomorrow..... We had two of the new featured flavour headed into reductions tonight, but as I was off to the gym for a Spin class I couldn't get in after final reductions and before the store closed So I had a quick work with the lady who relieved me, and if there was one left to be processed through the waste she promised to put it to one side (with a note stating it's for me, and no-one else is to waste it before I get in tomorrow) and I'll pick it up and pay for it then
    Cheryl
    • NickJW
    • By NickJW 4th Aug 10, 8:47 PM
    • 678 Posts
    • 13,646 Thanks
    NickJW
    I wish I had an A*da, Morris*ons, L*dl or A*di near me. You all seem to get such good deals! I checked online and the nearest ones are 3 miles away, and since I don't drive living in London they require 2 to 3 changes on different buses. Not great when you've got a few bags on you. I've got Sainsb**ys where I live, and 2 Sainsb**ys Local's near work, so when I get my debit card bill it just says 'Sainsb**ys 5, Sainsb**ys 9, Sainsb**s 13' Lol!

Happy I don't have to cook tonight - chicken is happily marinating in the fridge for tomorrow.

Keep strong everyone
    Grocery Challenge 14 Jan 14 46.05/130

Grocery Challenge 13 -spent 1453.06
    Grocery Challenge 12 -spent 1565.51

DFD 1st March 2011
  • seductivesmile
    Evening!
    I finally got around to that pork chop, and it was yummy, accompanied by cabbage and dwarf beans both gifted to me, with a baked potato and oxo cube gravy... all in all it was very yummy and i have just taken an apple and raisin loaf out of the oven... my flat smells delicious! Unfortunately i am at a funeral tomorrow but i have been told the wake will feed me for years, according the the person making the food. so although i have got my cajun beef out of the freezer, i may not eat it tomorrow and if thats the case i will eat it on friday! can't believe how many hiccups have happened this week, yet i still havent been to the shops! yay! so saved some food and not spent any pennies... another case of that was at work today i went into the kitchen at lunchtime to make my ham sandwich (i hadnt made it in the morn as i ran out of time so grabbed the bread, ham, butter out of the fridge, but then when i was about to make it i was offered some chips to make a chip butty! awesome! lol) Also got given 3 left over oranges from my activities for the day. . .
    Anyhow - i still don't think i need to go shopping til next week.
    Have a good rest of the week!
    SS x
    Each day is a new beginning, look at what you have an be grateful for every tiny thing. You don't know when it may be taken away.
    • muffin man 7
    • By muffin man 7 4th Aug 10, 9:47 PM
    • 742 Posts
    • 7,753 Thanks
    muffin man 7
    monday was my shop day 26.02 in mrA and 2.10 in little veg shop total 28.12 plus some pain killers 1.25 i needed them THANK YOU to the people that said primark was a good place fo clothes on a budget my son needed a few clothes now winter on the way his budget was 25 HE GOT jeans 6 3 T shirts 6 and a full zip top with hood 12 =24 he was well happy and is going to save up to go again thanks i saw a few things but i'm going to wait till november hoping to loose some weight and keep it off this time so i need some serious nsd if i can give up chocolate used to go through a big bar in a day hardly touch it now i can manage as least 15 nsd's hopefully more i should do it i've 91 88 left =say 3.50 a day fridays and saturdays are nsd so that's at least 8 and i've already had 3 nsd's will do a check on what we've got and what we need that should lower it more i hope and try to shop only twice a week i've found if i buy it all in one go (especially summer holidays) its all gone before end of month if it's there they assume its ok if i space it out it works better but i still budget for the whole month
    Last edited by muffin man 7; 04-08-2010 at 10:16 PM. Reason: some writing missing
  • XLucky_PennyX
    Hi Folks

It's the 4th day into my August challenge and yesterday was my first grocery spend totalling 4.99 after a visit to Mr M's. It should have been 5.38 but DD paid for 39p whoopsie 4 pack of iced doughnuts out of her pocket money (even gave one to her money saving mother! bless ).

Pleased with how it's going so far however will really need to get more organised and meal plan if I want to stay on target!!!

4.99/ 150

Nite xx
    • suzybloo
    • By suzybloo 5th Aug 10, 6:47 AM
    • 1,081 Posts
    • 8,740 Thanks
    suzybloo
    Hello folks, not doing too badly so far. Yesterday was a trip to the bakers which was 1.12 for 4 morning rolls, 4 in the butchers for two mini-quiche, smoked ribs and some roast pork for hubbys sandwiches On passing the fish shop decided to get some haddock for tea - where did that meal planning go!!!!! - which cost 7 for 3 pieces!!!!!!!! then met my sister and gave in to having a couple of cups of coffee in the local coffee shop, so yesterdays total came to just over 14
    The fish didnt even get used last night, I forgot Hubby had a large meal at lunchtime meeting, DD2 was not coming home and I had arranged to go to pick up a suite for someone with a works van so could have kept the 7 for another time - never mind fish pie for tonight.
    This weekend is DD2's 21st so have a fair bit shopping for that but have a seperate budget to cover that as it is for about 30 people at the house and it is for 'buffet food' not real food,

hope you all have agood day,
    Suz
    Every days a School day!
  • Winky, The House Elf
    I managed to resist temptation by buying my milk from the corner shop which was not expensive 1.34 for 4 pints. My Aunt gave me 7 eggs which go out of date today, so I am turning them into a quiche which will be taken back to her for lunch today! I've turned into meals on wheels! It makes me feel like I am contributing to my Mums recovery from the stroke, and as the GP has signed me off for a month, saying no housework etc that I need to rest for the babys sake, it gives me something practical and productive to do...off to track down the recipe for pastry...
    Right now I'm having amnesia and deja- vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before
  • Changingme
    Small shop for me yesterday that came to 13.88 so have added to my total,really need to get to the butchers as freezer is getting low.
    Save 4500 in 2014
  • WelshWoofer
    It may have to be a small spend today as OH needs some bread rolls for packed lunch tomorrow (god forbid that he uses some of the sliced loaf for 1 day!) and something to put in them.
    Everything else can wait until the big shop on Saturday.
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 5th Aug 10, 10:06 AM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Good morning all,

Just popping on to update with the online order made yesterday evening. I did it the convoluted way through Quidco to My Supermarket and then sent the trolley to MrS who were surprisingly cheapest of the three options (no w***r**e/o***o here). Even if I had used the 5 off from MrT it still would have worked out cheaper from MrS especially as I'd also had a free delivery code from them. So all in all worked out some 8 cheaper on goods and another 4.50 cheaper as no delivery charge.

Not planning any more stocking up/main shopping (so only f&v, milk and meat) now until week beginning 16th when we'll probably blow the budget for the first time due to party purchasing.

The sig is updated.

Have a great day everyone,
    Spigs
    Mortgage Free October 2013
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 5th Aug 10, 10:37 AM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Hi peeps hows everyone doing?

Thanks to usual bunch for the thread, really appreciate it!

Well the past few days I have been shopping from the freezer and cupboard so its going good. Think Ive finally used up all the cooked chicken form the freezer; I like to get it used within three months. So now thats gone. Not sure what were having tonight will have a look in the freezer and see what they is.

Not sure if anyone wants these recipes, Im planning in making some soon so thought I would post it here as well.

Vegetable samosa recipe.

Instructions
    1. Making Filling:
    2. Cool boiled potatoes peel and cut them into very small cubes.
    3. Heat oil in a wok or a frying pan.
    4. Add cumin seeds and allow seed to splutter or turn brown, not burn.
    5. Add ginger and green chillies, fry for a minute.
    6. Add potatoes, peas, salt, coriander powder, roasted cumin, garam masala, chilli powder, amchoor (dry mango powder) or lemon juice. Stir well to coat potatoes and peas with spices. Cook on low heat for 5-6 minutes, stirring gently, until almost cooked. You do not want to overcook and mash the potatoes.
    7. Adjust salt and seasoning and lemon juice. Add coriander leaves and mix.
    8. Turn the heat off and leave the mixture open, to cool.

Or just use a curry paste instead.

9. Making Pastry:
    10. Place flour, salt and oil in a bowl. Rub with your fingers, like pastry flour. It should look like bread crumbs.
    11. Make firm dough, adding a little water at a time. I tend to make mine in a food processor these days. If making by hand, knead it well.
    12. Keep aside for 20 minutes and then knead again, until smooth.
    13. Making Samosas:
    14. Make a little glue by adding 2-3 tbs. water to 1 tbs. of plain flour and mixing to a thick liquid. Keep aside.
    15. Divide the dough into 8-9 portions and make balls, using greased hands. Keep covered with a moist muslin/handkerchief or 'j' cloth.
    16. Mix 1 tsp. flour with 2 tbs. water, to make a 'glue' Keep it aside.
    17. Roll out one ball at a time on a greased surface, into a 7-8 inch circle/chapatti, approximately 2-3 mm thick. Cut it into half using a knife. You now have 2 half circles
    18. Lift one half in your palm and bring edges together, overlapping one over the other, making a cone.
    19. Brush a little glue on one of the overlapping edges and press the other edge over it gently with a 4-5 mm. overlap, to give the cone a good seal. If not sealed properly, it opens up during frying.
    20. Now fill one cone with approximately 2 tbs. of the potato mix. You should have enough edge left at the top (4-5 mm.) to get a good seal. Using 'glue', press and seal the top edges together.
    21. Make all samosas like this. Keep them covered with a moist cloth. If pastry is allowed to dry, it is more likely to burst during frying.
    22. Heat the oil in a pan to medium heat. If the oil is too hot, samosas will be soggy and not crisp. Oil should not be 'smoking'. Test by putting a small piece of dough into it, it should sizzle and rise gently to the top.
    23. Put as many samosas as will spread out easily in your pan and fry gently to golden brown. Turn them over gently a few times to ensure even browning. Take out and place on kitchen paper, to absorb surplus oil.

To make a meat filling just do the same as above but without some of the veg. Generally meat samosas always have onion in them so make sure you them in as it help the spices to bind together.
    Onion bhaji's

100g /4oz chick pea flour or gram flour
    1/4 tsp mild chilli powder
    1/2 tsp turmeric
    1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/2 tsp ground cumin (or more to taste)
    1-2 large onions, halved and thinly sliced (or other chopped/sliced veg)
    1 green chilli, deseeded and finely chopped (optional)
    25g /1oz finely chopped fresh coriander (optional)
    Cold water to mix
    Vegetable oil for deep frying
    Sift the flour, chilli, turmeric, cumin and baking powder into a large mixing bowl. Add the chopped coriander, onions and chopped chilli and mix well.

Preheat the deep fat fryer to 180C / 350F.

Gradually add enough water to the flour mixture to form a thick batter, mixing very well so the onions are well coated.

Very carefully drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the hot oil and fry until golden brown. Drain on kitchen paper and keep warm whilst you cook the remaining bhajis.

Makes 10 -12

enjoy

kerry
    • pipersky
    • By pipersky 5th Aug 10, 10:50 AM
    • 949 Posts
    • 15,015 Thanks
    pipersky
    Hi all

Been MIA for a while because time just flies!

Any way - total spends so far for August are = 10.40 at A1di and 3.78 at Tesc0.

Am on holi-bobs from Sunday, so am going to try to spend only on essentials. My sis went on her holidays today and has asked me to go and sort through her fridge and use up stuff that won't be fresh when she gets back so maybe will be able to scrape thru with that plus what I have already
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady

A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 5th Aug 10, 11:19 AM
    • 5,135 Posts
    • 49,952 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Spent €67.75 yesterday in Lidl, bringing me to almost half my budget for August....must cop on, needed what I got yesterday but will be using freezer and cupboards for rest of week at least.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
  • Long tall sally
    Oh dear. I went into Iceland yesterday for some bread which I couldn't get as they didn't have the one I wanted but still managed to spend 11 on Rice Krispies, squash, fish fingers, coleslaw, mixed peppers & packets of rice. Then went to Sainsburys to get cheese, fruit shoots, fem hygiene stuff, gluten free cereal and cartons of apple juice & these plus some crisps & chocolate bars came to another 24. I still need to go to the co op today for some bread as I can't be bothered to go back to Iceland today.

We had cous cous that I bought yesterday for our dinner last night with pork kebabs. Yuk! Not to my liking at all & I couldn't even eat it. Even OH who eats most things wasn't very impressed so the last of the pork chops will be served with rice tonight.

Can someone tell me whether I need to wilt the spinach that I bought first or can I just put the bag in the freezer as it is? Also any ideas for using up 5 lemons? Not sure how long they will keep for as I don't feel like baking today.
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
  • ~moneysavingnovice~
    Just spent another 5 in Mr S. I hate that the Mr S where I work in central London charges more for the same products than the Mr S near my home does. Grr.

Anyway, spent 70 now, have been budgeting 70 per week, and am a week into my August challenge, so could be worse!
    Mortgage148,725 Student loan13,050 HSBC loan12,221
    AprGC:/320
  • Kadeeae
    Just been to the butcher, 38.85, should be our meats for the next two weeks - still some in the freezer too

As it stands now we should only need perishables for the next fortnight, I need to get back to menu planning regularly! Can't seem to get "in the mood" for it when the weather is warm, plus it is a bit harder to plan ahead when you're eating more salads etc....things that don't keep well. Least that's my excuse

Must try harder for the coming week!!
    • Downsizing _for_sanity
    • By Downsizing _for_sanity 5th Aug 10, 12:34 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 1,434 Thanks
    Downsizing _for_sanity
    Long Tall Sally,

Lemons should last for ages, but you could always zest and juice them and freeze this (separately) in ice cubes or freezer bags. Spinach... never tried to freeze it but I would guess that like lettuce etc it will just go mushy and yuck. I would pour boiling water over it in a colander into the sink, cool, squeeze out the excess water and freeze in portion size amounts. I would probably take it a step further and add some veg/chicken stock, some nutmeg and blend to make a quick soup. Add some creme fraiche or single cream once defrosted and reheated. Yum!
    (PS - you might need to rinse it in cold water before starting as some spinach can be gritty.)

DFS
    • kezlou
    • By kezlou 5th Aug 10, 12:41 PM
    • 3,280 Posts
    • 43,067 Thanks
    kezlou
    Can someone tell me whether I need to wilt the spinach that I bought first or can I just put the bag in the freezer as it is? Also any ideas for using up 5 lemons? Not sure how long they will keep for as I don't feel like baking today.
    Originally posted by Long tall sally
    spinach i just bung in the freezer in a bag, no washing, unless its full of mud). When you come to cook do it frozen then it still retains its shape and form. I do this all the time.

Lemons : - they should last a fair while in the fridge.Or you could make cordial with them, or just zest and juice them and freeze for another day.

Just used more food from the freezer so i've now got more space in there. We now have lots of mini sausage rolls to eat and have made a flapjack for later. For tea i've decided were having macaroni cheese and i'm making some wholemeal buns for sandwiches. Just waiting for the dough to come out of the machine.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

702Posts Today

6,567Users online

Martin's Twitter