Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crana999
    • By crana999 8th Mar 05, 7:01 PM
    • 572Posts
    • 270Thanks
    crana999
    Help me use what I've got left
    • 8th Mar 05, 7:01 PM
    Help me use what I've got left 8th Mar 05 at 7:01 PM
    Well, it's now a week and a half until the end of term, so I need to use up as much stuff from my store cupboard as I can, without buying anything else if possible.

Suggestions please made from these and nothing else:

Scraping of marge
    Small amount of cheese
    Couple of wrinkly potatoes
    Lots of onions
    Tin baked beans
    4 tins tomatoes
    Gravy granules
    Jar sweet pickle
    Jar jam
    Jar peanut butter
    Jar Pepperdew pickled peppers
    Spaghetti & Pasta (Lots)
    Rice
    Pack Beanfeast Spag Bol
    Small amounts of dried kidney beans, chickpeas, red lentils, pearl barley, pudding rice, oats
    Larger amts of yellow split peas, dried green lentils
    White & brown sugar
    Carton UHT skimmed milk
    Sultanas
    Apples

Stock cubes, assorted spices, italian herb mix, honey, bit of chilli sauce, lemon juice, soy sauce, tiny amount of olive oil, salt & pepper

I have some ideas, but I'd like to hear yours. Nothing can involve frying! Most meals need to cope with being fridged-and-microwaved, and I need a couple of packed lunches.
Page 1
  • Caz2
    • 8th Mar 05, 7:25 PM
    • 8th Mar 05, 7:25 PM
    Hi quick one
    with first 4 ingrediants do layonaise potatoes-layer potatoes onions and spots of marg cover with milk and cook for about 1 hr then put grated cheese on top and cook for further 10-15 mins.
    all lentils soaked (apart from red) then boiled add all tinned toms, fry onions in olive oil till golden then add, also add soya sauce, chilli sauce, lemon juice add a bit of left over cheese for topping and put in oven, serve with spagetti or pasta.
    Pudding rice. cook with milk (i presume you have some ) add sultanas and cooked apples and a bit of sugar
    all your other stuff like beans and jam etc on toast if you have alot of baked beans cook some pasta and add that and serve with rice (sounds gross) leave some stuff in your pantry or you will have to buy it all again
    • crana999
    • By crana999 8th Mar 05, 7:31 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    crana999
    • 8th Mar 05, 7:31 PM
    • 8th Mar 05, 7:31 PM
    Hi, some good ideas there. I forgot to say that I don't have an oven/grill - just a microwave and electric hobs. I can't fry anything.

I only have a tiny bit of fresh milk for tomorrow's coffee, plus the UHT I mentioned.
    I don't have any bread either.

I really do just have the stuff I mentioned. The only things I didn't mention are some cereal for brekky (the only thing I do need to buy is another carton of soya milk. i cant stand normal milk on my cereal) and some miscellanous choccy, tea/coffee and a couple of biccys.

The thing is, I have to take every single thing I don't eat home with me, or throw it away... so the idea is to eat as many of the tins & packets as possible so I don't have to cart them all the way home! I'll "re-stock" at the start of next term, that's not a problem.
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 8th Mar 05, 7:42 PM
    • 9,818 Posts
    • 24,069 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    • 8th Mar 05, 7:42 PM
    • 8th Mar 05, 7:42 PM
    this student existence eh crana?!!!!!!!

im soo glad i went for a longer contract, so i dont have to clear my room out for the hols
    know thyself

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
    • crana999
    • By crana999 8th Mar 05, 7:47 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    crana999
    • 8th Mar 05, 7:47 PM
    • 8th Mar 05, 7:47 PM
    Lol, yeah, you have it there.

I could apply for an extension to stay for at least part of the holidays, but it has to be approved by your tutor and for academic reasons only - oh and it's an extra 70/week... (10/day vacation rent). I don't really get a chance to go home during term tho so it's quite nice to get out of here and have some time with my family, see my bf without him having to spend hours on the bus, etc.

It would make me much happier if I had a proper kitchen and there wasn't this stupid rule about frying, though!
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 8th Mar 05, 7:58 PM
    • 3,975 Posts
    • 7,514 Thanks
    culpepper
    • 8th Mar 05, 7:58 PM
    • 8th Mar 05, 7:58 PM
    soak kidney beans overnight
    boil rice
    microwave onions
    boil kidney beans,peppers , tomatoes and add the onions
    thicken with gravy granules
    serve with the rice

pudding rice and milk (could boil or microwave)
    add jam

cold cooked pasta with milk and sultanas and cut up apples

nuke the potatoes in jackets,cut open cover in cheese and baked beans

spag with pack of spag bol

porridge with sugar
    • crana999
    • By crana999 8th Mar 05, 8:12 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    crana999
    • 8th Mar 05, 8:12 PM
    • 8th Mar 05, 8:12 PM
    All good ideas! Thanks.
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 8th Mar 05, 9:25 PM
    • 9,818 Posts
    • 24,069 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    • 8th Mar 05, 9:25 PM
    • 8th Mar 05, 9:25 PM
    dont know what the situation is with your flatmates - whether you get on/they know that there are other food groups beyond micro chips and ready meals etc etc - but perhaps there is someone you could 'pool' resources with, to make things more interesting, and perhaps stretch the food further?
    know thyself

• crana999
    • By crana999 8th Mar 05, 9:34 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    crana999
    • 8th Mar 05, 9:34 PM
    • 8th Mar 05, 9:34 PM
    one of them only eats sandwiches, one usually eats in the canteen, and one of them only cooks terrifying chinese and pasta concoctions...and refuses to pool with me (I have asked ) - it doesn't help I'm veggie and they are all firm meat eaters. It's a good idea tho.

Btw, have you ever seen www.beyondbakedbeans.com ? Some good ideas on there - some good ideas for baking & stuff as well you might like?
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 8th Mar 05, 9:46 PM
    • 9,818 Posts
    • 24,069 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    people keep mentioning the site, and i keep meaning to have a look, never getting round to it.

just had a quick nosey, and there are some fab ideas on there. do they get archived or do they just disappear? (should i start manically copying and pasting lol?!) is the book any good? i have several student cookbooks floating around and they're all a bit monotonous. perhaps its time i graduated to the grown up ones

i sympathise with you on the flatmate front. whilst our kitchen is slightly better equipped (two hobs, a grill, oven, fridge and freezer), its still hard to cook when fighting with other people for space.

of my flatmates...most wouldnt know how to cook from scratch if their life depending on it (never mind how to use a sink, some water and a dishcloth, but thats another story ), and you cant get near the freezer for ready meals and oven chips. then theres a girl whose lactose intolerant, and only eats organic, not to mention the weirdo who drowns EVERYTHING in tommy sauce :confused:

god knows how they'll survive in student houses next september lol!
    know thyself

• crana999
    • By crana999 8th Mar 05, 10:05 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    crana999
    lol, sounds ... fun!

The recipes all stay on there as far as I know. I have the "Green" cookbook, the author sent it me free for answering some Qs about what i cook etc, very nice of her! It's good, a lot of the recipes are online tho so I probably wouldn't bother buying it. I haven;t seen the non-veggie one.
  • Galtizz
    I think the recipes only stay on there for a year (so March 2004 was over written by March 2005) I've never been able to find recipes from over a year ago anyway.

BTW - How old did Phillip Schofield get can still remember him from the broom cupboard (the kids TV thing, not a brief encounter)
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
  • furrypig
    beyond baked beans seems to be a good site plus they are donating a penny a hit to fairtrade at the moment so keep looking at the site!!!
    • nicki
    • By nicki 9th Mar 05, 3:14 PM
    • 7,287 Posts
    • 88,338 Thanks
    nicki
    Could I suggest another recipe website that I frequent when I want to stretch the storecupboard :

http://www.cookingbynumbers.com

It's come up with some great recipes that even my fussy partner will eat
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
    • crana999
    • By crana999 14th Mar 05, 12:00 AM
    • 572 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    crana999
    Ok, all I have left now is:
    1 small potato
    1/2 carton UHT milk
    Pickle
    Pickled peppers
    Jam
    2 tins baked beans
    2 tins toms
    small piece of cheese
    small amt of marge (I mean small)
    About 4 onions
    Gravy
    Peanut butter
    Rice
    Pasta
    Spaghetti
    Beanfeast pack
    Lentils, barley, split peas as before.
    Spices etc as before.

Gonna make spaghetti bolognaise.. and probably spaghetti and tomato sauce again.. any more ideas?
    Last edited by crana999; 14-03-2005 at 12:05 AM.
  • greenlogo
    How about making a chilli-ish with the lentils, peppers and toms? Cook the lentils down into a thick soup and add the tomatoes, cook down and add hte chopped up peppers at the last minute (to heat through, rather than cook) add chilli sauce to taste and serve with some of the rice?

You could substitute the chickpeas as sausages for not-sausage casserole - cook the chickpeas up (in stock, made from half a stock cube - keep the cooking liquor back once you drain them) and fork mash them to break them down a little (not to a mush...). brown off one or two onions (depending on how much you like them and how big they are) until it's really soft (done VERY slowly you aren't frying them. In fact you could micro them at lowest power with a little water, but it wouldn't taste as nice) and stir into the chickpeas and add gray and the cooking stock to taste. This might be nicer with a wee bit of the tomatoes (you should probably have some left from the chili ).

Hth
    Pre O/S: what's a vitamin? Does it begin with the letter e?Now: I'm not eating any of that pre-made rubbish...
    • elona
    • By elona 14th Mar 05, 9:25 AM
    • 11,150 Posts
    • 63,454 Thanks
    elona
    How about a spanish omelet or filled pancakes( cheese and peppers ,onions etc rolled up in pancake , sprinkled with cheese and heated through)
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 14th Mar 05, 9:47 AM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    why not use the potatoe, lentils, split peas etc with some water and stockcubes to make a hearty soup - this works for lunchtimes, if you have a flask, or can re-heat.
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
    • crana999
    • By crana999 14th Mar 05, 10:38 AM
    • 572 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    crana999
    some good ideas everyone.. but please stop suggesting yummy things I don't have the ingredients for!
    • elona
    • By elona 14th Mar 05, 11:29 AM
    • 11,150 Posts
    • 63,454 Thanks
    elona
    crana
    If you bought 6 eggs then you could stretch out the ingredients that you already have, and you can adapt any of the ideas posted to make use of what you have.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

541Posts Today

5,728Users online

Martin's Twitter