Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 8th Mar 05, 8:26 AM
    • 9,818Posts
    • 24,069Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    baking
    • 8th Mar 05, 8:26 AM
    baking 8th Mar 05 at 8:26 AM
    after my prolific session on sunday (made a loaf of bread, a banana loaf/cake and made and decorated happy birthday/mothers day cake). i seem to have got the hang of it very quickly, and have so gone baking crazy! (much to the family's delight )

what i was thinking of doing was having another prolific cake day (make a few at the same time) to then slice and freeze, to be used as and when required.

was just wondering if anyone had any recipes or cake freezing hints and tips they would like to share?

we're an adventurous lot, and will try almost anything, but we are going through a big thing for fruit cake/loaf etc, so if people have different ideas along those lines that would be great.

the marble sponge i made on sunday was a great success, thinking my next few attempts may include a victoria sponge, chocolate and coffee cake, carrot cake....

also, if i was to make scones/rock cakes/HM biscuits - would these freeze successfully?
    know thyself

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
Page 1
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 8th Mar 05, 9:31 AM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    • 8th Mar 05, 9:31 AM
    • 8th Mar 05, 9:31 AM
    PD - In my experience victoria sponges freeze well, as do tea loaves/banana loaves etc. I would freeze these whole though, or at most, cut in half. Sometimes they can go a little crumbly when defrosted, but still taste great!

I wouldn't freeze an iced cake - and it's a quick and easy addition to make afterwards anyway.

I have never managed to freeze scones without them turning into rock hard, heavy lumps. But that could be just my baking!!!!

let us know how you get on. I am now feeling inspired.
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
  • bugs
    • 8th Mar 05, 10:21 AM
    • 8th Mar 05, 10:21 AM
    Never frozen cakes but I do often make large quantities of Scotch pancakes and grill them. No problems with sticking together, and no need to defrost, just put them under the grill as you would with "bought" ones.

Most biscuits will keep well for up to a month in a good airtight tin. So they tell me, I've never had a chance to find out! You could also look for "refrigerator biscuits" - you make a roll of dough, which you can keep in the fridge for a week or so, or slice, and put in the freezer.

Rock cakes and scones are generally thought to be best fresh, I suppose the lack of butter is to blame, they are pretty quick to make and cook compared to real cakes so I do - bit of a mess with the doughy fingers and washing up, but worth it.
  • Galtizz
    • 8th Mar 05, 11:27 AM
    • 8th Mar 05, 11:27 AM
    You could also look for "refrigerator biscuits" - you make a roll of dough, which you can keep in the fridge for a week or so, or slice, and put in the freezer.
    by bugs
    There was a recipe for these by Anthony Warrell Thompson in the lastest Good Food mag (3 copies for 3 on the grabbit board, mag sub thread) I'll see if I can find it and post it.
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
  • furrypig
    • 8th Mar 05, 12:34 PM
    • 8th Mar 05, 12:34 PM
    There was a recipe for these by Anthony Warrell Thompson in the lastest Good Food mag (3 copies for 3 on the grabbit board, mag sub thread) I'll see if I can find it and post it.
    by Galtizz
    Galtizz hope you manage to find it as it sounds divine!
  • Galtizz
    • 8th Mar 05, 12:35 PM
    • 8th Mar 05, 12:35 PM
    we're an adventurous lot, and will try almost anything, but we are going through a big thing for fruit cake/loaf etc, so if people have different ideas along those lines that would be great.
    by pavlovs_dog
    Have a look at this thread:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=11894
    2 great malt loaf type recipes on here

we're an adventurous lot, and will try almost anything,
    by pavlovs_dog
    How adventurous?? Are you brave enough to try Chocolate Beetroot cake or Tomato soup cake? recipe is here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=4156

I have tried the beetroot one and it is really nice, not beetrooty at all.

Carrot cake and courgette cake here:
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=3990
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 8th Mar 05, 7:13 PM
    • 9,818 Posts
    • 24,069 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    • 8th Mar 05, 7:13 PM
    • 8th Mar 05, 7:13 PM
    well firstly, thanks for your replies

r.mac - do you think that thicker slices would help with this at all? the idea is that if its just lying around the kitchen, people eat it because they feel they NEED to eat it before it goes off. i was hoping that by freezing things, we could it is "as required" rather than because we feel we "need" to.

galtizz - if i dont tell them whats in it, they wont be none the wiser!!! and if it doesnt go down well, i'll know not to make it again.

have a recipe for tomato soup cake in the depths of my inbox somewhere (campbells soup email me with recipe ideas). shall dig it out
    know thyself

• Caz2
    • 8th Mar 05, 7:59 PM
    • 8th Mar 05, 7:59 PM
    Hi
    I make 4 packups every morning so i'm always baking, cakes, buns bread pasties etc.
    For buns I use 8oz of butter, 8oz golden caster sugar, a few drops of proper vanilla essence ( 9 quid a bottle but lasts forever) 4 eggs and 8oz of self raising i do it in processer making sure each ingrediant is well mixed before adding next. when done i top with dairy milk chocolate. this makes 24 buns i freeze half of them. For chocolate cake this mixture makes 2 cakes (skintflint) I add cocoa in with other ingrediants before cooking and just enough so it looks like its got chocolate in. for filling i put 4oz of butter in processor and whiz then add 8oz of icing sugar-whiz and add about a spoonful of milk ( evaporated milk gives it a luxury taste)-thats filling then dairy milk choc on top bit and any topping on that, that is bogof like smarties, mini eggs etc. for scones if you make them big enough they freeze well. Coffee cake- same as above but mix coffee powder with a small amount hot water and let it cool before adding. Best is orange or lemon using the peel chopped very small to the above. In my experience the vanille essence, golden granulated sugar and a nice topping makes them go fast.
    Good luck and get cooking.
    • foreverskint
    • By foreverskint 8th Mar 05, 8:17 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    foreverskint
    • 8th Mar 05, 8:17 PM
    • 8th Mar 05, 8:17 PM
    posted a recipie on page 23 of march grocery challenge thread, for my apple & pear cake,. can't copy it to hear cos I don't know how.
    can't vouch for it's freezer qualities as it rarely lasts a day in this house, but i can't see any reason why it wouldn't freeze.

Make scones with buttermilk and no eggs for a lighter scone and better freezer quality.

You can also make the scone mix up to the add liquid stage. keep the rubbed in mix in the fridge in a sealed plastic container,(for uo to a week) and when you fancy some add buttermilk and bake. I make up to 2lb of flour 40z butter and then use a 1/4 at a time.

enjoy
    • aycor
    • By aycor 8th Mar 05, 9:01 PM
    • 276 Posts
    • 149 Thanks
    aycor
    previous thread
    ideas on this thread for your baking as well good luck
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=27778&page=1&pp=10
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 8th Mar 05, 9:22 PM
    • 9,818 Posts
    • 24,069 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    Try this for a lovely homemade cake that also includes fruit for the children.

6 oz S.R Flour
    1 tsp baaking powder
    6 oz sugar
    6 Oz Butter or Marg
    3 Eggs
    2 apples chopped & peeled
    tin of pear halves
    hand full of walnuts or sultananas
    1-s teaspoons mixed spice.

put all ingredients into bowl except for the fruits and nuts.

Mix with mixer/ processor or wooden spoon, stir in the apples and nuts/dried fruit.

Pour into a 9 x 11 inch tin. Arrange pear halves on top and bake at 160 c for about 1 hour.

This can also be sprinkled with chopped nuts mixed with sugar to make it extra special, but not so good for the teeth.

Delicious served hot or cold and especially nice with lidls walnut icecream
    all credit to foreverskint for the recipe, it sounds gorgeous!!!!

im feeling so inspired and motivated thanks to you guys, im really looking forward to this now.

i know there's nothing nicer than fresh cake for special occasions, but i think this is the perfect solution for day to day use- ideal for lunch boxes or a snack with a cuppa.
    know thyself

• Galtizz
    There was a recipe for these by Antony Worrall Thompson in the lastest Good Food mag (3 copies for 3 on the grabbit board, mag sub thread) I'll see if I can find it and post it.
    by Galtizz
    Refrigerator biscuits

8oz butter
    6oz light muscovado sugar
    1/2 tsp vanilla extract
    1 eg
    12oz self raising flour
    *2oz chopped dates
    *1oz raisins
    *2oz dried blueberries

1. Beat together butter, sugar, vanilla then beat in the eggs. sift over the flour and stir to combine finally fold in fruit

2. Shape mixture into a log about 4cm in diameter, wrap in clingfilm and place in the fridge until quite firm (about 30 mins) will keep upto 2 weeks like this in fridge.

3. When ready to cook, slice into 1cm thick circles, place on a baking tray and bake for 10 - 15mins and 180c/ gas mark 4.

* I think you could probably replace these items with whatever you've got in (up to the total weight) i.e use 5oz finely chopped chocolate instead (bashed smarties work well in cookies).
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 9th Mar 05, 8:56 AM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    galtizz,

I like this idea - just backe when you want a couple. Am going to try this out.

Thanks
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
  • furrypig
    galtizz

have had lots of fun readin up on Tomatoe and beetroot cake recipes (seperate cakes not the 2 mixed together!!) Would love to find the recipe for carrot and courgette cake as I made it years ago and it was lovely. Still lots of new ones to try now!!

Have just bought 4 packs of cookies (bogof obviously!) but think the refrigerator biscuits will be a much better option for the future, I want to do more baking with the kids so will try it on Saturday and cook lots to take to Legoland on Sunday!!!

thanks again
  • Galtizz
    Sorry to bump up an old thread, but I managed to find a chocolate courgette cake HERE no luck on finding carrot and cougette cake though.
  • furrypig
    Thank you all!
    Just wanted to say a big TA!to everyone for the fab recipes.

I have made the apple and pear cake (very moist and yummy), the beetroot and chocolate cake (fav bit was watching everyones face when I told them what was in it!) and the refrigerator biscuits.

They have been a great sucess and we have had fun baking, especially as we have all had flu so have had to cancel our plans for the last 3 weekends and the baking gave us some funtime together.

ps still searching for the carrot and courgette cake thanks for looking Galtizz
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 22nd Mar 05, 1:22 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    I have made the apple and pear cake (very moist and yummy),
    by furrypig
    Ooooooohhhh where was that???? I have a surplus lot of apples and pears atm the moment that I could make this with

(Maybe I'll start the diet next month ... did I say that last month too? )

Edit: s'ok I found it up top ... should open my eyes before posting :rolleyes:

If you find the courgette cake recipe though that would be great and another way for me to get the curry prince to eat courgettes!!!
    Last edited by Curry_Queen; 22-03-2005 at 1:25 PM.
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 22nd Mar 05, 1:52 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    Yoghurt Cake
    For a dead easy foolproof cake that even the kids can make, try a yoghurt cake. It's dead simple and all you need is a bowl, a 150ml yoghurt tub (or equivalent measure if you use big pot yoghurts) and a wooden spoon

Obviously you need a tin to cook it in and the ingredients to make it

Ok, here's the ingredients, all measured using the yoghurt tub ...

150ml tub plain yoghurt
    2 tubs of sugar
    3 tubs of SR Flour
    1 tub sunflower oil
    2 eggs, beaten

Put all ingredients into the bowl and mix thoroughly. Turn into a greased/lined tin (8" or 9" round deep tin) and bake in oven, gas 4, for 50-60 mins till inserted knife comes out clean.

Told you it was simple, didn't I

You can use different flavoured yoghurts for variation, or if you want a chocolate cake then substitute half a cup of flour for cocoa powder. I've even added fresh raspberries with raspberry yoghurt to make it into a pudding cake and it came out lovely. It makes a fairly deep cake (3") so you can slice it and sandwich with butter icing or cream. Anything you want really ... experiment!!!
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

• furrypig
    Yoghurt cake sounds yummy and easy
    thanks curryqueen another recipe to try out!
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 23rd Mar 05, 7:34 AM
    • 9,818 Posts
    • 24,069 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    never posted my banana loaf/cake recipe did i? you must try it, it gets better everyu single time.

its always variation on a theme, depending on what surprises the storecupboard has in store for us that day, but the core ingredients are:

4oz marg
    40z sugar (can be reduced - naturally a very sweet cake)
    8oz self raising flour
    pinch salt
    2 eggs
    3-4 bananas (doesnt matter if they are manky!)

optional ingredients:
    4oz mixed dried fruit
    mixed spice
    cinammon
    nutmeg
    honey- if using, reduce sugar content by at least 50%

heat oven to 300F/150C/gas mark 2-3
    grease 2lb loaf tin

add marg and sugar into mixing bowl. sieve in flour and salt. add eggs, beat well.

slice bananas into a bowl and mash, then add to cake mix. add any of the optional ingredients at this point and mix well.

spoon into the baking tin, and pop in the oven. it will take at least 1 and half hours to cook, often needs longer - when you can put a knife into it and it comes out clean then you know its cooked.

after removing from the oven, leave to cool in tin for a few minutes before turning it out onto a cooling rack. BE CAREFUL - it tends to be crumbly.

if you can be disciplined enough to wait, it tastes better after 24hours....so no nibbling!
    know thyself

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,777Posts Today

6,599Users online

Martin's Twitter