Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 14th Nov 06, 11:32 AM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    The Great Cheap Christmas Booze Hunt
    • 14th Nov 06, 11:32 AM
    The Great Cheap Christmas Booze Hunt 14th Nov 06 at 11:32 AM
    What's the deal?

Now's the time supermarkets and shops are starting to offer special deals and discounts on booze for your Christmas stash.

So I thought I'd tap MoneySavers' collective knowledge to find the cheapest bottles of wine, whiskey/whisky, liqeur, beer etc to stock up.

What you need to do

Click reply to add your find.

Please include what it is, where it's from, how much and, if online a link, and whether there's a charge for delivery.

Martin

Last edited by MSE Andrea; 14-11-2006 at 12:10 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • clarabell1984
    • By clarabell1984 14th Nov 06, 1:00 PM
    • 1,152 Posts
    • 410 Thanks
    clarabell1984
    • 14th Nov 06, 1:00 PM
    • 14th Nov 06, 1:00 PM
    Asda are doing bottles of Beringer white zinfandel wine in store for just over 3 a bottle instead of the usual 6 bottle. I am gonna stock up once I get paid!
    • jetty
    • By jetty 14th Nov 06, 1:55 PM
    • 2,933 Posts
    • 3,546 Thanks
    jetty
    • 14th Nov 06, 1:55 PM
    • 14th Nov 06, 1:55 PM
    tescos have 1 litre bottles of Teachers going for £11.99, their own 1 litre brand is the same price! also Carolans for £6.98 and their Baileys is now under a tenner
  • CathChat
    • 14th Nov 06, 2:53 PM
    • 14th Nov 06, 2:53 PM
    Sainsburys are doing 2 70cl bottles of:

Smirnoff
    Baileys
    Bacardi
    Bells

2 mix and match for £18.00.

I bought a bottle of baileys and smirnoff friday ready for Christmas. But the Baileys magicly dissapeared ; ).
  • softuk
    • 15th Nov 06, 8:47 AM
    • 15th Nov 06, 8:47 AM
    If you're thinking about a quick booze cruise to Calais, then consider the offer by Majestic (called wine and beer world in France) If you pre-order 300 worth of booze - not a lot if there are four of you) then they will either pay for a fast ferry ticket for the car and passengers, or if you prefer as my friend and I do to go by Eurotunnel, then they give 30.00 towards the cost.
    We've done this a few times, and it saves a lot of time - more for shopping for other goodies.
    http://www.majestic.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/StoreCatalogDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10051& langId=-1
    • andi2
    • By andi2 15th Nov 06, 9:55 AM
    • 674 Posts
    • 807 Thanks
    andi2
    • 15th Nov 06, 9:55 AM
    • 15th Nov 06, 9:55 AM
    Asda are doing 3 packs of lager/beer/cider for 24 in store

6 packs for 48 on the website

3.99 delivery charge

but if you use one of the 10 on-line vouchers then it's 41.99 including delivery

http://www.asda.com/asda_shop/sys/web_deep_link.jsp?link_type=promotions&promo_type= multibuy

for some reason it doesn't come up with the full discount when you put it in your basket, I contacted customer services who told me to phone them if it wasn't right when it was delivered. All the discounts came off on delivery though. :>))
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • stuwilky
    • 15th Nov 06, 10:26 AM
    • 15th Nov 06, 10:26 AM
    Andi, most of the vouchers are 10 off for a min 50 spend (EX p&p), add a 4 pack of something to add the extra 2+

Asda Internet Customer Services are very hit and miss in theose circumstances.

Stu
    • andi2
    • By andi2 15th Nov 06, 10:42 AM
    • 674 Posts
    • 807 Thanks
    andi2
    • 15th Nov 06, 10:42 AM
    • 15th Nov 06, 10:42 AM
    Andi, most of the vouchers are £10 off for a min £50 spend (EX p&p), add a 4 pack of something to add the extra £2+

Asda Internet Customer Services are very hit and miss in theose circumstances.

Stu
    by stuwilky

There's a £10 off £35 at the moment :>))

edited to add : it wasn't the voucher code that I had problems with - it's the actual discount for buying 6 packs that doesn't show up correctly on-line.
    Last edited by andi2; 15-11-2006 at 10:44 AM.
    Smile and be happy, things can usually get worse!
  • stuwilky
    • 15th Nov 06, 10:59 AM
    • 15th Nov 06, 10:59 AM
    Apologies Andi, jumping to conclusions again!! ;-)
  • teddyco
    I am actually intrigued with this upcoming ruling that is set to allow online ordering of alcohol and cigarettes after November 23rd, 2006 if the EU court passes it into law.

I can only imagine the deals and the savings........willing to wait and see.
    • lgys15653
    • By lgys15653 15th Nov 06, 11:49 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 31 Thanks
    lgys15653
    cheap booze hunt
    Well no one seems to have mentioned it yet, but what about to new ruling thats happening the EU test case on duty already paid in the country of purchase. A report in the sun (14.11.06. ) goes on about the cost of product that we can order from a EU country and delivered to your door. the duty & taxes already being paid in the country of origin so we pay the cost from that country plus p+p. Sounds good if it happens, we don't seem to get much from the EU and the other member countrys seem to get better deals than we do. Well thats my little moan done with.
    Just to quote the sun prices we can order from latvia.
    kronenbourg 1664 24 x44cl for 9.20 plus p+p
    fosters 24 x 50cl 8.50 plus p+p
    stella artois 24 x25cl 4.75 plus p+p
    bell's whiskey 1 litre 10.83 plus p+p
    bacardi 1 litre 10.05 plus p+p
    just to mention a few.
    and if anybodys intrested 200 lambert & butler are 6.90 from latvia.

If you were to buy one of each of the above mentioned in the uk it would have cost 152.98 but from latvia 50.23 plus about 15.00 p+p saving 87.75 not a bad saving. only problem the paper does not say where to order these. ( unless anybody knows a web site to order these items) so watch out for the 23rd nov to see the outcome of this EU ruling.

And if not the coop are doing a 1 litre bottle of glen moray single malt for 14.99 was 24.99.
  • mervous
    Irish cream Liqueur
    This is a great tip I found on the internet at homespirits.co.uk. and i tweaked it to suit my taste
    You can buy the Asda own brand of cream liqueur but it's a bit.. well you decide, but it is cheap.
    Or.. Take 500ml of warm filtered water
    Add 400g of Asda coffee whitener (90p for 500g)
    add 150g sugar and a dessertspoon full of glucose powder

Add a few drops of vanilla flavouring and a bottle of the roughest cheapest full strength whisky you can get.
    You now have 2 bottles of actually very good Irish-ish cream liqueur, it's pale but can be darkened with food colouring or hot choc powder.
    You can buy the Irish cream essences from brew shops and use cheap vodka instead of Whisky and vanilla.
    As there is no fresh cream in this the shelf life is AGES!
  • nomad111
    When I by Cava Freixenet £7.99 a bottle I ask to by a crate and get a discounted to £38. Which is a saving of £10 just by asking. £6.33 a bottle!. I’m doing this at my local Off-licence I’m sure you can get better deals than this
  • bosseye
    24 bottles of wine for only 69.99 plus p&p
    Laithwaites Wines are offering a free case of wine with your first order - you can choose either a mixt case or whites/reds only - for just 69.99 plus 5.99 per order and it doesn't seem to matter how many initial cases you order you can have the freebie case with each one placed on the order!That works out at under 3 a bottle - great price for the seasonal party!
    All i had to do was register and the offer came both by post and by e-mail
    try this link - not sure it's correct,but worth a try!!
    http://www.laithwaites.co.uk
    Let me know if you too enjoy a merry christmas
    • Queen.Bess
    • By Queen.Bess 15th Nov 06, 12:41 PM
    • 1,051 Posts
    • 1,289 Thanks
    Queen.Bess
    I am a big sherry fan, which means I should be about 60, but I know what I like! And the other day in Sainsbury's I was looking at the Croft and the Harvey's etc, but thought I would try Sainsbury's own Pale Cream sherry, only 1 litre for 5.40, which is a lot cheaper than the named brands. I was hoping to wait until Christmas before opening it, but that didn't last long! I couldn't taste the difference, so it's worth checking out own brands instead!
    Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 20-11-2006 at 4:24 PM.
    Official DFW Nerd Club #20 Proud To Be Dealing With My Debts DFW Long Hauler #109

Slowly, Slowly = Oct '09: 30693, Aug '15: 14820. Could Be Debt Free April 2020, but hoping for sooner!
  • leeegglestone
    Laithwaites Wines are offering a free case of wine with your first order - you can choose either a mixt case or whites/reds only - for just 69.99 plus 5.99 per order and it doesn't seem to matter how many initial cases you order you can have the freebie case with each one placed on the order!That works out at under 3 a bottle - great price for the seasonal party!
    All i had to do was register and the offer came both by post and by e-mail
    try this link - not sure it's correct,but worth a try!!
    http://www.laithwaites.co.uk
    Let me know if you too enjoy a merry christmas
    by bosseye
    I may have seen Discount Vouchers for laithwaites or cashback somewhere. check the usual sources just incase.
  • shandyf
    I'm throwing a party at Christmas and want to find the best champagne deal. I need 6 bottles of "good" plonk preferably with a name/reputation.
    Tesco are doing 6 bottles of "Andrew Carpentier" champers for 56.94 (9.49 a bottle).
    Anyone know of any better deals around???
  • XOO
    I bought Whiskey from Asda
    While in Asda this morning...
    I bought a bottle of Glenlivet 18 yr old for 26.98, reduced from 34.98; and a bottle of Talisker 10yr old for 19.97 reduced from 24.97.
    A saving of 13! I just hope it will stay put away til christmas!!
  • XOO
    I don't drink Sherry, but a friend recommends the one from Lidl, says you can't taste the difference and it's a lot cheaper!
    • alangent
    • By alangent 15th Nov 06, 2:44 PM
    • 19 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    alangent
    Morrisons
    Morrisons are doing own label Islay malt whisky. It must be someone elses (obviously) BUT its only 11.99 a bottle! Compare that to their very competitive Bowmore at 18.99 a bottle

Also they currently have a champagne on offer at 9.89 a bottle. Again it HAS to be champagne, so what have you got to lose???

Get in there!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,659Posts Today

5,181Users online

Martin's Twitter