Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 14th Nov 06, 11:08 AM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Pimp My Bin Old-Stylers!
    • 14th Nov 06, 11:08 AM
    Pimp My Bin Old-Stylers! 14th Nov 06 at 11:08 AM
    This competition is now closed. And the winner is....Jessicamb for her
    Dusty Bin creation!

Old Stylers Pimp My Bin... Go On I dare you (£50 quid for the best)

It seems wheelie bin thefts are becoming more common and many local authorities charge you to replace them so losing one could cost you.

I recently came across a site with a unique idea for making your wheelie bin look nicer and helping prevent it being stolen (yes, it happens!) and I thought you'd like to see it.

Pimp My Bin

Wheelie bin sticker retailer Pimpmybin will sell you a special bin sticker which it suggests will make your bin so eye-catching thieves won't touch it. At £11.99 for the cheapest I'm not suggesting you go out and get one - it's not exactly MoneySaving but some of the designs certainly caught my eye!

The Old-Style Pimp My Bin Challenge

Right Old-Stylers, you can decorate houses, cook and clean on the cheap and thrifty, but can you Pimp My Bin on a budget? I want an easy to use way of bin pimping.... £50 for the best instruction/suggestions. Let me just make it double clear - it's not just the design, it's how you do it!

Entries close by 12pm 21 Nov.

Want to hear me lay down the challenge?

I did this officially as part of this week's mutterings commentary on the weekly email. You can hear the clip of it here
    Pimp My Bin Muttering (or even better watch it from the video version though this isn't a clip, it's the whole thing, the PMB stuff is at the end).

Martin

Last edited by MSE Jenny; 28-11-2006 at 3:04 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
  • Edinburghlass
    • 14th Nov 06, 6:53 PM
    • 14th Nov 06, 6:53 PM
    I'd recommend this one for the MSG

Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • TNG
    • 14th Nov 06, 6:55 PM
    • 14th Nov 06, 6:55 PM
    Stencil 'OSers bin - remove at your peril' on it in that sticky burglar deterrent paint that never quite dries....

:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

gets the ball rolling, hopefully....

edit : except, of course, that edi beat me to it
    There's a real buzz about the neighbourhood
  • emma_b
    • 14th Nov 06, 6:56 PM
    i LOVE the pimp my bin things!
    erm........pimp my bin mse stylee, how about getting some of that sticky back plastic stuff that you used to use for covering school books and then cut out pictures from mags,

or even a photo blown up HUGE (eg use www.truprint.co.uk they do poster photos) and then every1 will know its YOUR bin?!

if some1 nicks it the neighbours willsay "hey thats emmas bin!" and push it back for you.....bargain!

or cut out letters saying "this bin is the property of......... and thieves WILL be prosecuted" out of newspaper titles so the font is nice and big ad then cover it with the see through plastic stuff ?

okay so my ideas might be pants but they made me smile

i wanna pimp my bin!
  • D&DD
    Well this time of the year I always seem to have an excess of sticky back plastic which is left over from covering the kids school books.I have see through and patterned so I would use the see through to attach/cover over a large picture of something scary..(how big do you reckon I can blow up that picture of Martin.. ) then cut out my door numbers in the holographic bright stuff.
    C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Marketing Manager
  • Edinburghlass
    • 14th Nov 06, 6:57 PM
    Actually I saw a similar thing in an airport queue where the kids behind us had obviously "pimped" their suitcases, using their own drawings and pva glue. It was very effective and certainly no-one else would have the same and so easily spotted on the luggage thingy
    Martin has asked me to tell you that I'm the Board Guide of the Telephones, Reclaim Bank Charges, Silver Savers and Scotland boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and I can move and merge threads there. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides don't deal with this. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • emma_b
    skull and cross bones?
  • Squishy
    • 14th Nov 06, 6:58 PM
    • 14th Nov 06, 6:58 PM
    That sounds quite fun As we had to pay for our bin anyway (the council didn't provide bins for the development!) I'm always worried something might happen to it.....

I know I have a lot of various stickers in the House (I make a lot of cards ) so I'm sure I could do something with those....and maybe put some varnish over the top to make sure they didn't peel off? I would think you could cut out lots of cool pictures from magazines etc. and varnish them over, or if you're artistic paint your own (or get your kids to do it!) You could also recycle any cards given to you - lots of cards have great pictures on them. I know I would quite like a floral design (as I have lots of floral stickers) so could make a gardenscape or something.....its a bit more difficult for men: thats where 'choose your own pics' from magazines could help: cars etc. would work.

Another option is paint - I'm sure many of us have odd bits of cans lying about somewhere - hand them over to your kids and let them go crazy! You get a 'pimped' bin, AND you've arranged a cheap and fun activity for the kids to do on a weekend - bonus!

The possibilities are endless!
    Last edited by Squishy; 14-11-2006 at 7:37 PM.
  • emma_b
    • 14th Nov 06, 6:59 PM
    • 14th Nov 06, 6:59 PM
    my dad painted his address on his in white paint it never got stolen again, althought to be fair i dont think it was maliciously stolen it was more like the bin men didnt put it back and then the neighbours just went and "chose" a bin gawd knows how my dad knew the one he pushed back wasnt his?!
  • emma_b
    Martin, when do you choose the best idea? got my ideas in just in time!
    • apprentice tycoon
    • By apprentice tycoon 14th Nov 06, 7:01 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 2,939 Thanks
    apprentice tycoon
    You can't get cheaper than free - but it might take a while - use all the stickers you find on fruit (Braeburn, Golden Delicious etc) to make an attractive design, maybe your house number spelled out? - is this a bit Viz ?
  • Edinburghlass
    A load of MSE car stickers and PVA glue

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=297036
  • Bambam
    When we got our bin my OH scratched (quite deep) our house number into it then painted over it with white paint. The paint has now worn away except where it sank into the scratches, so the number is still legible. And its permanent.

I'm sure some of you artists out there could do something a bit more imaginative than house numbers
    Last edited by Bambam; 14-11-2006 at 7:54 PM.
    It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice.
    • Strepsy
    • By Strepsy 14th Nov 06, 7:12 PM
    • 5,562 Posts
    • 38,226 Thanks
    Strepsy
    You could use carrier bags to create a nice paint-scrunched effect over the bin.

A couple of old belts attached together might look funky near the top.

Mine's green, so I could turn the lid into a frog's head.
    • nearlyrich
    • By nearlyrich 14th Nov 06, 7:25 PM
    • 13,335 Posts
    • 16,542 Thanks
    nearlyrich
    I would love to buy one of the stickers on the site LOL my neighbours across would be horrified LOL they are proper wheelie bin snobs, they have tape on the handles so no-one pinches theirs by mistake.
    Free impartial debt advice from: National Debtline or Stepchange[/CENTER]
    • jessicamb
    • By jessicamb 14th Nov 06, 7:25 PM
    • 10,066 Posts
    • 5,985 Thanks
    jessicamb
    I'm going to imitate the biggest rubbish celebrity going.... no not Jason Donovan in the jungle...... but Dusty Bin

I guess these would be the instructions:

1. If it isn't already - paint it grey
    2. Pinch your dads old trainers (don't use your own - thats not moneysaving) and glue them to the bottom of the bin.
    3. The squashed football thats been at the bottom of the garden for the last six months will make a fab nose
    4. You might need to get the felt tip pens out for the face
    5. Sticks and old rubber gloves for the hands

I am so tempted to go and pimp my bin now
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 28-11-2006 at 12:04 PM.
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
  • vivaladiva
    If we're thinking wheelie bin theif deterrent, I quite fancy a take on the Dr Who episode where Rose's boyfriend got eaten by the wheelie bin. Not sure how the actual design would go short of getting quite complicated with chicken wire/papier mache (thanks DD14) and a pair of old trousers!
    Maybe I'm too wierd. :rolleyes:
    I have plenty of willpower - it's won't power I need.
    • Strepsy
    • By Strepsy 14th Nov 06, 7:38 PM
    • 5,562 Posts
    • 38,226 Thanks
    Strepsy
    You could work a nice trellis effect over it or a chess board with black insulation tape. If you have a few colours and thicknesses you could do a weave or tartan effect.

Create a funky disco-style bin with old cds and PVA glue.

Blow up choice words in interesting fonts and print out. Then cut out and glue with PVA. (I might actually do this one, just need to think of good words... Recycle, Green...)
    • jessicamb
    • By jessicamb 14th Nov 06, 7:45 PM
    • 10,066 Posts
    • 5,985 Thanks
    jessicamb
    Or if you are really good at art a Trompe l'oeil that blended in with the background - a brick wall or garden fence. Then nobody would be able to see it to pinch it
    The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese
    • Strepsy
    • By Strepsy 14th Nov 06, 7:55 PM
    • 5,562 Posts
    • 38,226 Thanks
    Strepsy
    How cool would like bargain basement 70s wallpaper look. I guess you'd have to coat it it PVA or something... http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/betty_bee/wallpaper-60s-70s-DHD.jpg Oh yeah.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

199Posts Today

1,942Users online

Martin's Twitter