Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    mink35
    Tea: inspiration needed!
    • 7th Mar 05, 3:05 PM
    Tea: inspiration needed! 7th Mar 05 at 3:05 PM
    My brain's not in gear today and I need help! We had a very large chicken for roast yesterday and I have about half a breast and the rest of the chicken left.
    What can I do with it!

Curry is out as daughter won't eat it and I don't have time tonight to make 2 meals. Sweet and sour out as well.

Got loads herbs, mushrooms, tomatoes - fresh, tinned and pureed - pasta, potatoes, bacon, eggs, garlic, baked beans, frozen peas and carrots, fresh cabbage.

Got other stuff as well but just can't think!

All help gratefully received! Aim to be eating around 6 pm if that's any help!
    Mink
Page 1
  • Lillibet
    • 7th Mar 05, 3:07 PM
    • 7th Mar 05, 3:07 PM
    What about a chicken-pasta bake using cooked pasta & a sauce made out of tinned tomatos, garlic & mushrooms?
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    • vanoonoo
    • By vanoonoo 7th Mar 05, 3:15 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    vanoonoo
    • 7th Mar 05, 3:15 PM
    • 7th Mar 05, 3:15 PM
    got any tinned mushroom or creamy type soup - chicken or celery?

fry some onion mushroom garlic bacon if youl ike and some shredded chicken add a tin of creamy soup and serve with pasta or mashed spuds or rice could add other veg to the sauce too and even serve with cabbage!

or just a regualr stir fry with soy sauce (dont bother with sweet and sour)

finely sliced cabbage with the other veggies and some chicken and stuff would work fine
    Blah
    • vanoonoo
    • By vanoonoo 7th Mar 05, 3:17 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    vanoonoo
    • 7th Mar 05, 3:17 PM
    • 7th Mar 05, 3:17 PM
    or freeze the chicken and have bacon egg chips mushrooms and beans for tea
    Blah
  • mink35
    • 7th Mar 05, 3:23 PM
    • 7th Mar 05, 3:23 PM
    or freeze the chicken and have bacon egg chips mushrooms and beans for tea
    by vanoonoo
    this is the one my hubby would go for, lol!

Think I've got some mushroom soup. Like both yours and Lillibet's ideas. Think I will give children the choice of which one (but not the bacon egg and chips one!).

Thanks ladies - I knew someone would come up trumps
    Mink
  • Queenie
    • 7th Mar 05, 5:56 PM
    • 7th Mar 05, 5:56 PM
    Bit late to help you out today, but, maybe for another time ... I sometimes make a chicken crumble with leftovers (depending on the veg at hand, it could be chicken and sweetcorn, chicken and mushroom ).

Just make a basic white sauce, add the chopped chicken/veg pop into a shallow oven dish, top with crumble topping (w/out the sugar!), bake in the oven and serve with side veggies.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: 57.53 Pigsback Pot: 23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  • mink35
    • 7th Mar 05, 7:23 PM
    • 7th Mar 05, 7:23 PM
    Bit late to help you out today, but, maybe for another time ... I sometimes make a chicken crumble with leftovers (depending on the veg at hand, it could be chicken and sweetcorn, chicken and mushroom ).

Just make a basic white sauce, add the chopped chicken/veg pop into a shallow oven dish, top with crumble topping (w/out the sugar!), bake in the oven and serve with side veggies.
    by Queenie
    That sounds lovely Queenie - might have to try that. What's it like with other meat?

Ended up doing a combination of Lillibet/Noo's ideas! Fried onion, bacon, garlic, mushrooms. Added chicken then mixed with chicken soup (didn't have mushroom) stirred in the pasta and baked, covered with grated cheese. Served with salad and fresh crusty bread! Was yummy
    Mink
    • vanoonoo
    • By vanoonoo 7th Mar 05, 7:40 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    vanoonoo
    • 7th Mar 05, 7:40 PM
    • 7th Mar 05, 7:40 PM
    hoorah - success! sounds delicious
    Blah
  • Queenie
    • 7th Mar 05, 7:49 PM
    • 7th Mar 05, 7:49 PM
    That sounds lovely Queenie - might have to try that. What's it like with other meat?

Ended up doing a combination of Lillibet/Noo's ideas! Fried onion, bacon, garlic, mushrooms. Added chicken then mixed with chicken soup (didn't have mushroom) stirred in the pasta and baked, covered with grated cheese. Served with salad and fresh crusty bread! Was yummy
    by mink35
    You can certainly have a bash with other meats, but I would alter the basic white sauce ie, with leftover beef/ham I would use an onion sauce.

Wow! Your supper sounds D-LISH, well done!
    • Liz19
    • By Liz19 11th Apr 05, 2:11 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    Liz19
    Have sausages out for tea tonight and looking for inspiration as to what to do with them. I have seen sausage recipes on here before but I have searched all over and cannot find them. Please can anyone help?
  • Queenie
    Scroll though this thread and you find ideas for sausages

Toad in the hole?
    Sausage mash and beans?
    Sausage Omlette?
    • tiff
    • By tiff 11th Apr 05, 3:08 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    Sausage casserole

8 thick sausages
    tin tomatoes
    tin baked beans
    worcestershire sauce
    1 red pepper sliced
    1 green pepper sliced

Brown the sausages, then add all the other ingredients and simmer until cooked. Add more worcestershire sauce if needed, could add mushrooms if you dont have enough peppers etc.
    • Liz19
    • By Liz19 11th Apr 05, 3:37 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    Liz19
    Thanks Queenie and Tiff for suggestions. Tiff, that was the sausage casserole recipe I had been looking for!
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 11th Apr 05, 3:41 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Thanks Queenie and Tiff for suggestions. Tiff, that was the sausage casserole recipe I had been looking for!
    by Liz19
    Ok, but if you bung in a good dollop of golden syrup and a LOT more worcestershire sauce [and/[or soy] you get a barbecue sauce type version of things.

Shrug. Whoever said a recipe was carved in stone?
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • Liz19
    • By Liz19 11th Apr 05, 3:45 PM
    • 645 Posts
    • 196 Thanks
    Liz19
    Yum! That does sound good - will definitely be giving that a try.
    • tiff
    • By tiff 11th Apr 05, 6:04 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    Ok, but if you bung in a good dollop of golden syrup and a LOT more worcestershire sauce [and/[or soy] you get a barbecue sauce type version of things.

Shrug. Whoever said a recipe was carved in stone?
    by rwsteele
    Brilliant, I've been looking at recipes for BBQ sauce. I recently bought a tin of golden syrup to make a coating for popcorn but wondered what to do with the rest of the tin, otherwise it will sit on the shelf until I throw it out because the lid will be stuck on!

BBQ sauce with chicken in the slow cooker is lovely
    • tiff
    • By tiff 11th Apr 05, 6:05 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    by Liz19
    You could also make a giant yorkishire pudding and serve the casserole inside the Yorkie with mashed potato, my family love this.
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 11th Apr 05, 9:37 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Brilliant, I've been looking at recipes for BBQ sauce. I recently bought a tin of golden syrup to make a coating for popcorn but wondered what to do with the rest of the tin, otherwise it will sit on the shelf until I throw it out because the lid will be stuck on!
    by tiff
    You're very welcome, but I'm sure there must be plenty of good recipes out there somewhere.

BBQ sauce with chicken in the slow cooker is lovely
    by tiff
    I believe you. Honest
    Last edited by rwsteele; 11-04-2005 at 9:39 PM.
    Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• tiff
    • By tiff 12th Apr 05, 7:22 AM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    Hmm, ok I wont thank you in future then!
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 12th Apr 05, 9:41 AM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    Hmm, ok I wont thank you in future then!
    by tiff
    LOL I've actually printed it rather than simply saved it so that I can make it later in the week. So you see - I do believe you.
    Nyer

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,715Posts Today

7,308Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin