Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 25th Jun 10, 3:59 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Sky to block cheap calls
    • 25th Jun 10, 3:59 PM
    MSE News: Sky to block cheap calls 25th Jun 10 at 3:59 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The satellite firm will no longer allow customers to override its system and use prefix numbers to cut costs from July ..."

Read the full story:
    Sky to block cheap calls

Page 1
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 25th Jun 10, 4:09 PM
    • 11,038 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    Heinz
    • 25th Jun 10, 4:09 PM
    • 25th Jun 10, 4:09 PM
    We're talking about Sky here. Is anyone surprised at this news?

I've already re-written my daughter's Orchid program but she'll still end up paying more than if she'd left her line rental with BT.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
    • OldGreyFox
    • By OldGreyFox 25th Jun 10, 4:33 PM
    • 1,351 Posts
    • 642 Thanks
    OldGreyFox
    • 25th Jun 10, 4:33 PM
    • 25th Jun 10, 4:33 PM
    Is anyone surprised at this news?
    Originally posted by Heinz
    I doubt it. It was posted on here in April and has been discussed a couple of times since.

Heres the link to the 18185 service you can still use http://www.18185.co.uk/mobilerates.php
    via their 0808 freephone number. ( different rates apply).
    Last edited by OldGreyFox; 25-06-2010 at 4:36 PM.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 25th Jun 10, 9:40 PM
    • 31,482 Posts
    • 185,624 Thanks
    Karmacat
    • 25th Jun 10, 9:40 PM
    • 25th Jun 10, 9:40 PM
    "Virgin Media says, like with the upcoming Sky policy, you cannot access 18185 via its lines unless you dial its 0808 alternative number. For other prefix numbers, it recommends you call to check."

The above is a quote from Archna's article (so thats what she looks like! Love the free games, Archna, I wish they weren't so addictive tho )

Anyway .... I'm with Virgin, for my sins, and I didn't know anything about this 0808 alternative number of theirs. Hands up who else is surprised. Anyone? Anyone? Can anyone enlighten me how to muck about with getting a discount number? Tho I have been able to dial a discount number to speak to France, I've not been able to do it to get a discount to a mobile number in this country.
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • Heinz
    • By Heinz 25th Jun 10, 9:51 PM
    • 11,038 Posts
    • 4,449 Thanks
    Heinz
    • 25th Jun 10, 9:51 PM
    • 25th Jun 10, 9:51 PM
    Anyway .... I'm with Virgin, for my sins, and I didn't know anything about this 0808 alternative number of theirs. Can anyone enlighten me how to muck about with getting a discount number?
    Originally posted by Karmacat

When it goes live, dial 0808 1 703 703 and listen for instructions on how to proceed.

Dial the UK mobile number you want to contact.

The cost will be 5p connection + 6p/minute at weekends or 5p connection + 10p/minute during the week.
    Last edited by Heinz; 25-06-2010 at 9:59 PM.
    Time has moved on (much quicker than it used to - or so it seems at my age) and my previous advice on residential telephony has been or is now gradually being overtaken by changes in the retail market. Hence, I have now deleted links to my previous 'pearls of wisdom'. I sincerely hope they helped save some of you money.
    • Karmacat
    • By Karmacat 25th Jun 10, 9:56 PM
    • 31,482 Posts
    • 185,624 Thanks
    Karmacat
    • 25th Jun 10, 9:56 PM
    • 25th Jun 10, 9:56 PM
    Thanks Heinz!
    Downsized and paid off mortgage 2010
    Retired August 2016
    Paid off French mortgage September 2018
    • stoneman
    • By stoneman 25th Jun 10, 9:59 PM
    • 4,289 Posts
    • 3,231 Thanks
    stoneman
    • 25th Jun 10, 9:59 PM
    • 25th Jun 10, 9:59 PM
    I wonder if this is considered as Sky substantially altering the T&C so allowing you to cancel (or negotiate)
    The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.
    • Ypaymore
    • By Ypaymore 26th Jun 10, 12:49 AM
    • 2,702 Posts
    • 1,032 Thanks
    Ypaymore
    • 26th Jun 10, 12:49 AM
    • 26th Jun 10, 12:49 AM
    I wonder if this is considered as Sky substantially altering the T&C so allowing you to cancel (or negotiate)
    Originally posted by stoneman
    Only BT have to provide access to indirect access codes the fact that Sky did was bunce.

Although you probaly had a chance to get out of your contract recently when Sky changed evening calls start time from 6 to 7pm.
    • buglawton
    • By buglawton 26th Jun 10, 4:41 PM
    • 8,315 Posts
    • 5,089 Thanks
    buglawton
    • 26th Jun 10, 4:41 PM
    • 26th Jun 10, 4:41 PM
    Recent OFCOM ruling means it will cost 70% less to cancel any landline contract - you only pay a small proportion of the remaining term rental instead of the full contracted amount. Wonder if this can apply to whole Sky package too?

This news just reconfirms for me, stick to BT for landline, though I am now looking at Primus too as they do allow 18185 prefix. Then again, how long for I wonder?
    • Stuart_W
    • By Stuart_W 26th Jun 10, 5:21 PM
    • 1,426 Posts
    • 689 Thanks
    Stuart_W
    For short UK calls or daytime mobile calls, Telesave's 0800 override service beats 18185's 0808 override number.

http://www.telesave.co.uk/athome/national.htm
    To join up: 0800 066 4000 from the phone you want to register
    A 10 credit/debit card top up necessary
    To make a call: 0800 066 2266

UK National Daytime 1.5p/min
    UK National Evening 1p/min
    UK National Weekend 1pmin
    UK Mobile * (any time/any day) 9.5p/min
    No connection fee, 4p min call charge.
  • moonrakerz
    Lot easier and cheaper, and more options to stay with BT for line rental !
    • waqasahmed
    • By waqasahmed 27th Jun 10, 2:53 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    waqasahmed
    That depends though doesnt it. We're moving to O2 and BT(line rental), as we had a VM connection in the house and an inactive BT line. When we called Orange(we were thinking of going to them first), they told us to get BT to install the line for us, and then we could get BB

Any way, like us, there are many people who rarely have the need to use 18185.co.uk or other sites, as lots of people no longer use landlines and a lot of numbers can also be found through the saynoto0870 database

For this reason, you may as well move your line from BT for a cheaper service, if you're like us and rarely use the home telephone
    • hairymonster2000
    • By hairymonster2000 27th Jun 10, 5:13 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    hairymonster2000
    Why not just open an account with a voip provider like mydivert.com. UK landline calls 0.8 euro cent per minute and mobiles at 8.5 euro cent a minute - no connection fees.
    • waqasahmed
    • By waqasahmed 27th Jun 10, 5:33 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    waqasahmed
    For those that rarely use the telephone, its not really worth paying for a VOIP phone is it
  • moonrakerz
    For this reason, you may as well move your line from BT for a cheaper service,
    Originally posted by waqasahmed
    I am afraid that you may have unwittingly proved my point there !

Most of the "cheaper" providers are still actually using a BT line, if there is a problem they will have to get BT to fix it. For all their faults, BT will probably fix their own customer's faults first and "cheaper" will end up meaning worse for the rest.
  • Mark_In_Hampshire
    I am afraid that you may have unwittingly proved my point there !

Most of the "cheaper" providers are still actually using a BT line, if there is a problem they will have to get BT to fix it. For all their faults, BT will probably fix their own customer's faults first and "cheaper" will end up meaning worse for the rest.
    Originally posted by moonrakerz
    The maintenance of the lines is carried out by a division called Openreach who don't know who the client is, so there's no advantage in being with BT from that perspective.
    • waqasahmed
    • By waqasahmed 27th Jun 10, 6:46 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    waqasahmed
    This is what would normally happen if your BT line isnt working
    1. You call your ISP(normally your ISP) from another phone, and tell them of your problem
    2. The ISP contacts BT
    3. BT will then get Openreach out to fix the line

If you are with BT, you simply get a quicker service. I cant say if their service is any good though, as we have only just got a BT line installed
    • billsavings
    • By billsavings 27th Jun 10, 7:02 PM
    • 1,945 Posts
    • 778 Thanks
    billsavings
    This is what would normally happen if your BT line isnt working
    1. You call your ISP(normally your ISP) from another phone, and tell them of your problem
    2. The ISP contacts BT
    3. BT will then get Openreach out to fix the line

If you are with BT, you simply get a quicker service. I cant say if their service is any good though, as we have only just got a BT line installed
    Originally posted by waqasahmed
    The Non BT Supplier contacts Openreach direct.
    • waqasahmed
    • By waqasahmed 27th Jun 10, 7:15 PM
    • 1,036 Posts
    • 284 Thanks
    waqasahmed
    Then, there really is no point in going to BT, unless of course they have a better service than others, and unless of course you are moving to an ADSL line, where you didnt already have an ADSL line
    • flyforfun
    • By flyforfun 28th Jun 10, 8:53 PM
    • 64 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    flyforfun
    What's the fuss? Just because you have dial a few extra numbers? Can't you use the 08xx numbers instead?

I use Telediscount or Telestunt and pay 1p for calls to Oz. When I came over here 19 years ago I was paying 1 a minute at payphone. When Mercury started it went down to 25p (and having to stand on a very cold street corner!!!) then the bypass numbers started.

Basically, everyone has to assess whether it's worth the hassle and cost and decide to switch back to BT or not. It's one of the reasons I stayed, but then my calls rarely amount to over 3 a quarter.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

68Posts Today

1,646Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin