Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • cathy
    • 21st Aug 04, 11:25 PM
    Re: Flapjacks
    • 21st Aug 04, 11:25 PM
    its all in the temperature Traff

http://duramecho.com/Food/Flapjack/

Put margarine, golden syrup in saucepan (or microwaveable bowl if using a microwave oven) and heat until it is all liquid.
    Meanwhile line the baking tin with greaseproof paper.
    Mix all the oats into the liquid.

Put the mixture into the baking tin & press flat.
    Bake at 175 deg C (Gas Mark 4) for 25 to 30 minutes. Warning: the timing is tolerant but accuracy in temperature is critical.

Slice into 8 fingers !before it sets but leave in place in tin.
    Leave to cool and set.

for a
    Crunchy Flapjack
    The recipe is identical to chewy version but cook at 15 deg (one Gas Mark) hotter.

The chewy and brittle versions can be make simultaneously from the same mix by baking them on different shelves in the same oven provided the oven does not have a fan !by utilising the temperature differences between shelves.

In my gas oven, I can bake chewy flapjack on the middle shelve whilst baking brittle flapjack on the top shelf.
    The rolled oats are not vital. Flapjack can be made from pure porridge oats but the texture is less interesting. however, pure rolled oats does not work well because the resulting cake is very fragile.
    I have not calibrated my oven (I just relied on its thermostat) so please check your oven produces flapjack the way you like it and adjust the temperature accordingly before producing a big batch. My oven, being a gas one, reaches its final temperature quickly; if your is an electric one without a fan assist it will take far longer to warm up and save time & electricity by cooking as it warms up then the nominal settings may be very different.
  • trafalgar
    • 21st Aug 04, 11:27 PM
    • 21st Aug 04, 11:27 PM
    Brilliant,thanks cathy.............I can't stand the soggy ones ;D ;D
  • trafalgar
    • 21st Aug 04, 11:36 PM
    • 21st Aug 04, 11:36 PM
    Oh Heck,just read the bottom part

I have a fan-assisted oven :-/

I'll do little testers tomorrow and see
    • By 16011996 23rd Aug 04, 6:23 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 23rd Aug 04, 6:23 PM
    • 23rd Aug 04, 6:23 PM
    tried these last night in elec oven (nt fan assisted) they did go crunchy ish. :-/
  • halloweenqueen
    • 6th Sep 04, 10:06 PM
    • 6th Sep 04, 10:06 PM
    These are good! (even if I do say so myself!!) ;D
    4.5 oz/half cup butter
    2.75oz/thrid cup caster suage
    1 tbsp golden syrup
    12 oz/ 4 cups porridge oats
    2.75 oz / half cup chocolate chips
    1.75 oz / third cup sultanas

Lightly grease a shallow 8" square cake tin.
    Place butter, sugar and syrup in a saucepan - cook over a low heat until butter and suagr melt and mixture is well combined.
    Remove from pan, stir in oats until well coated, add choccy chips and sultanas and make sure eveything is well coated.
    Turn into prepared tin and press down well.
    Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes (about half that time for fan oven).
    Cool slightly then mark into squares, when almost cold cut into squares and transfer to wire rack.
    You can replace some of the oats with nuts, sunflowers seeds and extra dried fruit.
    Incidently - they are meant to keep for a week - I've never found out!
    • By 16011996 7th Sep 04, 9:46 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 7th Sep 04, 9:46 AM
    • 7th Sep 04, 9:46 AM
    did yours last night halloweenqueen, kids loved them. ;D but they all went in one sitting watchng a film and i got none. > thanks though. think'll make some more while they're at school.
  • halloweenqueen
    • 7th Sep 04, 10:52 AM
    • 7th Sep 04, 10:52 AM
    Glad you liked them - my yongest bought me a book from Tesco on cooking with chocolate (no interest to her you understand!). I have to admit she got a good deal the book was 2.99 and its excellent, she also bought me a DVD and ended up paying 4 - vouchers were printed off and used!!
    She has turned into my mini me - she knows which bits to go to for the reduced bargains and which tills are likely coupon takers, but loves the self serves as they take 6!
    • By 16011996 7th Sep 04, 11:43 AM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    • 7th Sep 04, 11:43 AM
    • 7th Sep 04, 11:43 AM
    whats self serves??
  • halloweenqueen
    The self serve checkouts- you scan your own shopping, clubcard and vouchers and then pay with a card or cash.
    • By 16011996 29th Sep 04, 8:35 PM
    • 8,140 Posts
    • 3,704 Thanks
    i can't use them, i always worry i missed something and will be arrested, so have only done it once, and then i scanned somethings twice and paid the extra. for a change in the flapjacks try runny honey instead of syrup. is lovel and sweet.
    • taurusgb
    • By taurusgb 26th Apr 06, 3:29 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 7,366 Thanks
    taurusgb
    Healthy Flapjack type biscuits (dead easy!)
    Hello All

Just made a batch of these biscuits, which I make VERY often, as they 'hide' lots of good stuff I find difficult to get into at least one of my children...thought someone might like the recipe - ideal for lunch boxes as well as after school snack:-

8oz oats
    6 oz butter or margerine
    2 to 3 oz sugar (depending on how sweet you like things)
    2 oz dessicated or shredded coconut
    1 good handful of crushed cornflakes (ideal way of using up the powdery bits at the bottom of the box)
    1 heaped tablespoon of wheatgerm
    1 heaped tablespoon of crushed seeds (I use a mix of linseed, sunflower, sesame and poppy...I grind a potful at a time and keep in fridge for easy use)

Melt butter in large bowl in microwave, add everything and stir well, press down into lined flat tin, cook at 190 deg for about 10 to 15 minutes (depending how brown and crispy you like them).

Very easy to make when you've got time and then leave them until you put the oven on for dinner before cooking.

Eat and enjoy!
    People Say that life's the thing - but I prefer reading
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
    • Rachie B
    • By Rachie B 26th Apr 06, 3:33 PM
    • 8,719 Posts
    • 5,329 Thanks
    Rachie B
    yum gonna definitely try them ,thanks
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 26th Apr 06, 3:35 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    Why not add the receipe to the OS index.
    2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is 4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
    • taurusgb
    • By taurusgb 26th Apr 06, 3:48 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 7,366 Thanks
    taurusgb
    Ummm....how do I do this please?....H-E-L-P !!!!!! :confused:
    The difference between a misfortune and a calamity is this: If Gladstone fell jnto the Thames it would be a misfortune. But if someone dragged him out again, that would be a calamity - Benjamin Disreali
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 26th Apr 06, 3:55 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    Just go to the old style index and follow the instructions. CLICK HERE
    2 Coins Savings Club 2012 is 4 .............................NCFC member No: 00005.........

.................................................. ....................TCNC member No: 00008
    NPFM 21
    • taurusgb
    • By taurusgb 26th Apr 06, 4:01 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 7,366 Thanks
    taurusgb
    Oh..OH..Ohhhhhh!!!...I think I did it, I managed to post it on the recipe board.... (passes out on the spot with shock)
    • ellas9602
    • By ellas9602 26th Apr 06, 4:32 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 860 Thanks
    ellas9602

Healthy Flapjack type biscuits (dead easy!)

Just made a batch of these biscuits, which I make VERY often, as they 'hide' lots of good stuff I find difficult to get into at least one of my children...thought someone might like the recipe - ideal for lunch boxes as well as after school snack:-

8oz oats
    6 oz butter or margerine
    2 to 3 oz sugar (depending on how sweet you like things)
    2 oz dessicated or shredded coconut
    1 good handful of crushed cornflakes (ideal way of using up the powdery bits at the bottom of the box)
    1 heaped tablespoon of wheatgerm
    1 heaped tablespoon of crushed seeds (I use a mix of linseed, sunflower, sesame and poppy...I grind a potful at a time and keep in fridge for easy use)

Melt butter in large bowl in microwave, add everything and stir well, press down into lined flat tin, cook at 190 deg for about 10 to 15 minutes (depending how brown and crispy you like them).

Very easy to make when you've got time and then leave them until you put the oven on for dinner before cooking.

Eat and enjoy!
    by taurusgb
    Hello

I've just been off to make these with my daughter and the mixture seems a bit dry. Is this normal? (I always seem t produce crumbly flapjack so want to avoid this so its sitable for lunch boxes) will it set?

Thanks
    • taurusgb
    • By taurusgb 26th Apr 06, 4:46 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 7,366 Thanks
    taurusgb
    Hi
    Yes it is a bit dry when you put it in the tin...make sure you press it down well - but makes a lovely crisp biscuit when baked.
    • ellas9602
    • By ellas9602 26th Apr 06, 5:39 PM
    • 703 Posts
    • 860 Thanks
    ellas9602
    these are really really lovely. kids love em. I just added linseed this time but will try sneaking more stuff in at a later date. I'm more impressed that I was able to cut it without it breaking it (the last lot I made had to be eaten by the bowlfull.....with a spoon! so the quantities are just right) No more kit kats at lunch times.

Thanks a lot
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

966Posts Today

7,254Users online

Martin's Twitter