Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th May 10 at 8:33 PM
    Hi everyone,

Appologies that ithe thread is a little bit later than usual...unfortunately I've been bit wrapped up in real life. Anyway...Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of the year.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2010 at 1:23 AM.
Page 26
    • greent
    • By greent 13th Jun 10, 3:23 PM
    • 8,105 Posts
    • 82,326 Thanks
    greent
    Then went to the farm shop, by Heligan Gardens, I spent £49.37 in there, but that will last for ages, by the time I've had a cooking session.
    Originally posted by pepsi-kins

Mmmmm..... Lobbs....... yummy!!!!
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £1972.10/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £173.62/£500
    • skilly
    • By skilly 13th Jun 10, 3:27 PM
    • 882 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    skilly
    afternoon all,small spend today of £16.72 in mr a's.and i am up to nine nsd so far .got alot of birthdays this month which does not come out of this challenge but i still end up spending money on somethink !
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue
    • hex2
    • By hex2 13th Jun 10, 3:31 PM
    • 4,722 Posts
    • 80,174 Thanks
    hex2
    highland fling and yummy mummy - may I suggest misers white choc cheesecake which I have been making for years...

If you use supermarket value/basic stuff it is cheap - but I am always asked for the recipe.... Costings below are Mr. S. I notice the soft cheese has gone up from 27p on my last delivery, and the butter is 98p when it was 85p

misers white chocolate cheesecake
    100g digestive biscuit crumbs (8p) and 50g melted butter (20p)for your base

200g white value chocolate (54p)
    142ml double cream (56p)
    200g value soft cheese (45p)
    decent vanilla essence (optional but nice)

whip the cream, add soft cheese, add a bit of decent vanilla essence if you have it then stir in slow melted white chocolate. Put it on top of the base and leave for a few hours or overnight. Much cheaper and a lot less faffing then gelatine, etc.

I have made it with raspberries stirred through but my lot preferred it plain. A fruit coulis made with frozen summer fruits (25p for 1/4 frozen packet) and a bit of sugar goes down very well.
    Last edited by hex2; 13-06-2010 at 3:41 PM.
    'If you have a garden and a library, you have everything you need' Marcus Tullius Cicero
  • poppy-glos
    nsd today

dd made soup towards sunday lunch (delish! her second time making the recipe so just a little supervision this time)

and i've made some soft flour tortilla for lunchboxes tomorrow.

really fancied popping to mr t for the whoopsies but i would defo have wanted non whoopsie treats too so best i stayed away

hope everyone enjoying the sun

poppy x
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 13th Jun 10, 4:22 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Oh Dear. I fear it is starting to go a bit wrong...... I got up this morning with a list for my shopping but didn't feel too well (TOTM) - I decided to make do for today and go shopping tomorrow. DD's were not amused that we had to have tesco light choices sausages, beans and Sainsbury's basics mash for dinner and boy did they let me knowit! Anyway after lunch I decided to do a bit of baking for packed lunches and realised that I needed eggs and dog food (not for the baking obviously but..) so I went round to the little tesco express and spent £20.99 on dog food (enough for the week), a Good Housekeeping magazine (I used to just throw these in my trolley before I joined here, and I got home and was horrified to find that it was £3.60), eggs, 3 packs of pork loin steaks (on offer for £10) and 2 milky ways. I am going to have to make sure that I get back on the straight and narrow PDQ. My meal plan is done but has gone to pot today but it should be okay for the rest of the week. All I need to buy for the meal plan is a chicken, milk, f+v and bread, so I hope I don't fall back into bad habits as I am really skint and my income has gone down by nearly £500 a month due to tax credits

Wssla - the only cinemas we have around here are Odeon, Vue and a little independent one but that card sounds great!

Hex2 - that cheesecake sounds lovely! I have all the ingredients in except for the digestives and the chocolate so that might be a cheap option for a dessert in the week.

Hope you are enjoying the weekend - it's pouring rain here today!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • Long tall sally
    3 NSD for me.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • JayJay14
    Just popping in to update sig.

All the talk of the cineworld cards has brought back memories. Back in 2000 we all had one each in this family (5 of us) but I knew where my kids were during the school hols
    Thay have been cancelled one by one as the kids left home and OH and I finally gave ours up about 18 months ago but they were so good. I stand here and admit I saw Pirates of the Carribbean 23 times and I won't tell you how many times I saw Lord of the Rings but I used to take a packed Lunch to the 12 noon showing every Thursday.

GC not going as well as hoped this month but have plenty in so might be able to turn it round yet. The diet is going well but I have just printed out the cheesecake receipe - oh dear.....
    • AnnieG
    • By AnnieG 13th Jun 10, 6:17 PM
    • 736 Posts
    • 5,313 Thanks
    AnnieG
    I stand here and admit I saw Pirates of the Carribbean 23 times and I won't tell you how many times I saw Lord of the Rings but I used to take a packed Lunch to the 12 noon showing every Thursday.
    Originally posted by JayJay14
    Hahaha that's really funny... good idea though!!

Thanks all for the tips on freezer boxes, I've planned a trip to Ikea for later in the week and will pick some up then.

GC not been great this weekend, will add it up tomorrow and update then. I was compelled to buy beer and ice cream yesterday... Mr S had carte d'or on bogof, so I got some chocolate for DS and some caffe machiato for me.... YUM!!!!
    Say what you mean.. mean what you say... without being mean.
  • Sunny Donny
    Have failed this month and it's only half way. total so far £160.02 so think will have to raise total for next couple of months back to £175.00 will be well over this month!!!
    Mortgage free as at 1/9/13
    To start work on the credit cards now!!
  • wssla00

wssla00 I also have a Cineworld card- I normally use it a couple of times a month so £13.50 is such good value (its £8 a ticket here).
    Originally posted by FelineFantastic
    It's £8.95 here but saw death at a funeral and it was pretty funny...wouldn't see it again though.....

Still...cheap night! Just come home and bolognaise waiting for me!

Have a good night everyone
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
    • vatic
    • By vatic 13th Jun 10, 7:01 PM
    • 182 Posts
    • 2,437 Thanks
    vatic
    So far so good for us this month, despite having a big bday bbq yesterday! At the rate we're going, we should be able to meet this month's target, which I will be very pleased about since it's my first time joining in the challenge.

We seemed to do a very good job of buying just enough food for the party, we had no leftover food after the bbq aside from crisps!

So we now have enough of those to feed a small army along with bottles of soda and received bottles of other fizzy goodies as pressies which will cut out £5 out each week of what I normally allow myself for wine.
    March win: Fair Squared organic spa skincare set
    It isn't where you came from; it's where you're going that counts -- Ella Fitzgerald

• catznine
    • By catznine 13th Jun 10, 7:05 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    I didn't get around to making any bread and dh went out to buy some for his packed lunch, £1.44 for a seeded batch! I have stashed 8 slices away in the freezer so that it doesn't get wasted! (just the 2 of us here) I must make sure I get the bm back in use asap!

Had the M $ S roasted chicken today (very nice) with mash potatoes and asparagus (locally grown) and there is enough meat left for a curry, sandwiches and stock (bubbling away in the sc) for some soup. We made the meal deal profiteroles last for 2 days and the wine is on the wine rack for later.

I'm finding that if I think something won't be used up right away then it is wise to pop it into the freezer for later, trouble is the freezer is now full of odds and ends!

Almost out of potatoes so will be working on the packets of AF couscous next week!

18 days to go!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 13th Jun 10, 7:13 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    hope everyone has had a good weekend. Its been a NSD for me today at last. My cousin cooked a lovely roast dinner for us all topped off with choc gateau Tomorrow i need to get bananas and bread, my dd wont eat the homemade bread, shes 4 and prefers the shop bought i did use the HM for her packed lunch one day last week but they came home uneaten so the little moo knows the difference but shes one fussy kid anyway. Tomorrow im going to try and stick to the bare minimum when i go out and not get lots of bargains
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • huxley
    Hi all, nsd for me the chicken for the roast today was very small so going to be hard to stretch anything from it maybe just a spot the meat stew! Been to the allotment to collect lettuce, radish and thinings of carrots so free shopping . Was going to do some batch cooking this evening but they are all in a very hungry picky mood and seeing as the sponge I made today for snacks (I use a roasting tin so it was a fair size!) has already gone! Think I wont do anymore baking until they are out of the way tomorrow and it may stand a chance of making it to the freezer!
    • Billie-jo
    • By Billie-jo 13th Jun 10, 8:12 PM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 15,892 Thanks
    Billie-jo
    Spent £13.74 at the weekend which was mostly fruit and veg and some yoghurt as had run out.
    Never got around to making the pork and apple burgers on Saturday as we came in far to late so put the mince in the freezer along with the other pack that was already in there. It will get used when next do meal plans. Plated up an extra roast dinner today which son will have tomorrow as we are out again most of day and will just grab soup and sandwich when we get home.

At the moment any money left at the end of the months GC is just going into our every day account we already have but next month may think about opening one just for these savings, I think it will perhaps make it seem more ‘real’.
    [COLOR="Purple"][B] MARCH £62.38/250 [B][COLOR="Purple"]
  • elizabunny
    Hi all, still here. So little time though at the moment as very busy growing my own. Have been stuck under a lettuce and rocket mountain all week and trying to find inventive ways to use it up. Made Rocket Soup yesterday, hmmmm ok, but very heavy on the rocket and a bit bitter, DH struggled through most of he's as did I, but unfortunately the rest ended up in the compost heap, I need a new recipe. Have a fairly big T*s*o shop coming tomorrow and hopefully I'll be able to stretch it. Must update my sig. asap as all behind with that too. I'll do my best.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
    • CRANKY40
    • By CRANKY40 13th Jun 10, 8:39 PM
    • 3,286 Posts
    • 36,166 Thanks
    CRANKY40
    This weeks spend was £32.79, so total so far is £61.79.
    • tinkerbell73
    • By tinkerbell73 13th Jun 10, 9:00 PM
    • 98 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    tinkerbell73
    So far so good :-)
    Here we are half way through the month nearly and i seem to be doing really well I have had NSD fri and spent 1.50 on drinks sat and 2 on bread and fruit bags today. This from the girl who spent 500 on food in may!!! Needs must payday is 15th and so at the moment i have nothing in my purse - food wise think we have eaten the best we have in ages because i have actually planned what we are going to eat in advance and have been baking twinks hobnobs and weetabix brownies on a regular basis - they go down very quickly

Tesco shop arrives Tues day (payday) and includes a bottle of malibu - its my birthday next saturday !! - and enough food to make main meals til the end of the month and pack lunch stuff for at least a week - so i think i should come in well under budget this month but currently i am avoiding the takeaway but that may call to me on my b'day weekend.

If i can come in under 350 this month i will be ecstatic cause that means maybe in a few months i will be able to start putting some cash away each month rather than having no money by the end of the month.
    Last edited by tinkerbell73; 13-06-2010 at 9:04 PM.
    Been stupid but have no regrets starting to slowly sort my finances now the kids are growing
    • meanmarie
    • By meanmarie 13th Jun 10, 9:27 PM
    • 5,091 Posts
    • 49,542 Thanks
    meanmarie
    Another NSD for me and managed to use up several things from freezer....still several dinnersworth of protein in there, hoping to have most of it gone by end of the month.

Marie
    Weight 08 February 86kg
    • Sue14
    • By Sue14 13th Jun 10, 9:50 PM
    • 899 Posts
    • 10,894 Thanks
    Sue14
    Had to get some fruit, veg, milk and a few other bits today, which came to £25.27, but I had £4.50 in vouchers so only £20.77 spent out of budget. Total spent on groceries so far this month £89.92 out of £160, and freezer is almost full so hopefully I won't have to buy too much more before the end of the month.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,192Posts Today

8,643Users online

Martin's Twitter