Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th May 10 at 8:33 PM
    Hi everyone,

Appologies that ithe thread is a little bit later than usual...unfortunately I've been bit wrapped up in real life. Anyway...Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of the year.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2010 at 1:23 AM.
Page 25
    • Want2BMoneySavvy
    • By Want2BMoneySavvy 12th Jun 10, 6:09 PM
    • 142 Posts
    • 1,777 Thanks
    Want2BMoneySavvy
    HI all, hope everyone is enjoying the weekend

Those marinaded spare ribs sound delicious, yum yum yum.

First meal cooked in the new slow cooker - was good although I need to learn to adjust liquid quantities as it doesn't reduce down the way my stew normally would.

Had an unintentional NSD today - my son was rummaging around in the garden and a rock fell on his foot and scraped the top layer of skin off his toe No way could we get a shoe on it, so it was a sofa and duvet day for the kids, and a cleaning day for me!

Got a voucher through the post today - 15 off a 50 online shop at Waitrose! Never ordered from them before, but from what I can see it's free delivery on all orders, so a really good deal. Am planning on using it to stock up on meat, fish and a few nice dessert goodies which should see us through the rest of June and some of July.
    2015 wins: 100 Moda in Pelle gift card, signed James Martin 'Sweet' recipe book and Stellar bakeware, 100 Dunelm Mill gift card

2016 wins: iPad Air 2! Tickets to Wizard of Oz
    • purplevamp
    • By purplevamp 12th Jun 10, 8:34 PM
    • 8,368 Posts
    • 398,953 Thanks
    purplevamp
    Got the weekly shopping from Mr S today, so adding 61.02. Then yesterday I bought some cupcakes and icing pens from Mr A, totalling 3.74.
    Mortgage: Was: 154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: 123,375.38 Jan 2038

Swagbucks ~ 150 (2018 ~ 350)
    Surveys ~ 122.60 (2018 ~ 287.85)
    PTC, etc ~ $59.95 ~ (2018 ~ $287.34)

I Love You" "I Know"
  • rosieben
    Want2BMoneySavvy might be worth a look at the Complete Slow Cooker Collection
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • yummymummy05
    Highland fling - could I have the recipe for the cheesecake - it sounds yummy!!

I just tried the banana and chocolate muffins - they are so scrummy we've eaten half of them already!
    FebGC
    wk1 0/100 NSD's 0/7
    wk2
    wk3
    wk4
    Total 0/400
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 13th Jun 10, 12:51 AM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Went to the pictures tonight with DD1 to see Sex and the City 2. I agreed to get some Ben & Jerry's and popcorn as we don't normally and the whole outing cost 36.70Popcorn and a diet coke was 8 and the tickets were 8.75 each
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • Want2BMoneySavvy
    • By Want2BMoneySavvy 13th Jun 10, 7:10 AM
    • 142 Posts
    • 1,777 Thanks
    Want2BMoneySavvy
    The cinema is a total rip-off isn't it?

We normally go to ASDA before we go, and get our drinks and a PicNMix there (same sweets, a fraction of the cost), or they sell Ben&Jerry's individual tubs for around a pound.

Do you have a Vue near you? Ours do Cheap Tuesdays, where all tickets all day are around 4. You have to register for a card, but it takes two mins and is free. If you have one of their money off slips it can work out as cheap as 2.50 to get in!

Had some mash left over from stew last night, so have mixed it with a bowl of tuna and some spinach, and then breadcrumbed them for fishcakes for tea tonight.

My husband came home with 55 in pound coins from a fruit machine last night, so I'm just off to work out what debt to put the money towards....
    2015 wins: 100 Moda in Pelle gift card, signed James Martin 'Sweet' recipe book and Stellar bakeware, 100 Dunelm Mill gift card

2016 wins: iPad Air 2! Tickets to Wizard of Oz
    • franby64
    • By franby64 13th Jun 10, 7:38 AM
    • 894 Posts
    • 10,920 Thanks
    franby64
    Morning all

I managed to avoid the shops for 3 days until yesterday and found it quite difficult to part with my money when I went back. Everything seems so expensive!

Anyway I had to go as we had run out of fruit and I needed some rolls. Also got some veg for today and I'm really hoping I don't need to go back 'til tomorrow...need to find something to bake or a nice pud.

Hope everybody's having a good weekend.

ETA Felinefantastic - thank you for the tip on M*llerlights..T*sco will get my weekly shop this week!
    Last edited by franby64; 13-06-2010 at 7:47 AM.
    Starting weight on 22/6 14st 00lbs. Weight on 15/2 10st 11lbs. Lost 3st 3lbs.Target 9st 12lbs. 13lbs left.
  • rentawitch
    The cinema is a total rip-off isn't it?

We normally go to ASDA before we go, and get our drinks and a PicNMix there (same sweets, a fraction of the cost), or they sell Ben&Jerry's individual tubs for around a pound.

Do you have a Vue near you? Ours do Cheap Tuesdays, where all tickets all day are around 4. You have to register for a card, but it takes two mins and is free. If you have one of their money off slips it can work out as cheap as 2.50 to get in!

Had some mash left over from stew last night, so have mixed it with a bowl of tuna and some spinach, and then breadcrumbed them for fishcakes for tea tonight.

My husband came home with 55 in pound coins from a fruit machine last night, so I'm just off to work out what debt to put the money towards....
    Originally posted by Want2BMoneySavvy
    Do you know about orange wednesday. You can get an orange sim or two - for free and put them in old phones and get in 2 4 1 on Wednesdays I always smuggle my own food and drink in
    Sealed Pot challenge 3 - #969
    20ps and 2 coins and other bits.

July grocery challenge 167.40/175

NSD challenge July 9/10
    • catznine
    • By catznine 13th Jun 10, 8:31 AM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    Couldn't resist the dine in for 2 offer from M $ S (Chicken, potatoes, profiteroles and a bottle of cabernet) also some jaffa bars (yum)so 11.29 spent. The chicken will be stretched though, I bought the biggest on the shelf!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge 35.77/120
  • WelshWoofer
    I'm continiung my shop locally as far as possible experiment this month - it seems to be the greengrocer for F&V, butchers for meat, Mr S or Mr T for tins etc.
    This is the breakdown for yesterday's shopping...

Mr S 24.40 (did include bits to take to a bring your own food party)
    F&V - 7.50
    Poundshop 2 (shampoo and conditioner)
    Butchers - 4
    FF - 4.50

Total = 42.50

My budget is 45 for the week so managed to stay within that with a few pounds to spare for the milk needed in the week.

Seems to be working so far........
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
  • highland fling
    Good morning everyone,

very wet here so will not venture far today I think. Plan on making some muffins for lunch box today and having pork steaks and veg for dinner.

yummymummy05: here is the recipe you requested. It's from the philadelphia cookbook. I swapped rasps for mixed summer fruits yesterday but I really prefer rasps. I buy the little bars of white chocolate from Aldi 5x40g bars.

Ingredients:
    200g digestive biscuits, crushed
    50g butter, melted
    400g Philadelphia, softened
    150g caster sugar
    1tsp grated lemon zest, optional
    1x11g sachet of gelatine
    200g white chocolate, melted
    200ml whipping cream, lightly whipped
    150g frozen raspberries, (do not defrost)

To decorate:
    200g fresh raspberries and icing sugar (or anything you fancy really)

Line base of a 20cm springform cake tin.
    Combine the biscuit crumbs and butter and press into the base of the prepared tin.

Beat the Philly, sugar and zest using an electric mixer until smooth. Dissolve the gelatine in 50ml of water, over a pan of hot water.
    Stir in the gelatine mixture and the melted chocolate until smooth, then fold in the cream and frozen raspberries.

Pour the filling into the prepared base and refridgerate for 3 hours or until set.
    Decorate with raspberries and dust with icing sugar to serve.

tip: fresh raspberries can be used in place of frozen in the cheesecake but use 2x11g sachets of gelatin to ensure the cheesecake sets.
    It takes a long time to eat an elephant and I'm doing it a bite at a time!!!
    • becky170
    • By becky170 13th Jun 10, 9:13 AM
    • 518 Posts
    • 4,309 Thanks
    becky170
    My weekly shop came to 19.11 yesterday, and I'm going to try and only buy some milk during the week. Got 64 to last the rest of the month, but I've got to feed my mum and dad for a week when they visit me, so getting slightly concerned that I'm going to go over budget. I've got no idea what to cook for them whilst they're here...but at least they are going to take me out for dinner for me birthday My dad's not keen on things like pasta so may be salads, shepards pie and curry for them!
    MFW 2019 #7 926/1615
    Grocery challenge June 440/450
    • savvyshe
    • By savvyshe 13th Jun 10, 9:14 AM
    • 96 Posts
    • 1,342 Thanks
    savvyshe
    Have just spent ages posting and everything has disappeared!! Was really difficult too as I have not been very good this month and have been burying my head in the sand and not posting. Have had an unexpected an unplanned free!! holiday (got loan of mums caravan for a few days at half term) so everything gone to pot, Just added total for June and added up to 182.64!! so far thats an amazing 52.64 over for June!!got 10 days to go yet so got to be good now. Was my birthday on Friday so we are having all the family over today so spent quite a lot on bbq stuff for today that is if weather keeps up if not we will have an indoor one but I am looking forward to seeing them all.
    Went to Mr Al** yesterday and they have lots of salad stuff for 39p each 6 tomatoes, little gem lettuces, radishes and cucumber. Was shocked at how prices have gone up these last few weeks!
    Was very good last week, had 4 NSD days and posted a meal plan which we more a less stuck to and I am going to do the same next week and live out of fridge and freezer. Anyway off to bake some burger buns and cakes for this afternoon so have a lovely day everyone and hope you do better than me. Savvyshe xx
    Last edited by savvyshe; 13-06-2010 at 9:26 AM.
    M&S 2,200.00
    Barclaycard 3840.00
  • wssla00
    Went to the pictures tonight with DD1 to see Sex and the City 2. I agreed to get some Ben & Jerry's and popcorn as we don't normally and the whole outing cost 36.70Popcorn and a diet coke was 8 and the tickets were 8.75 each
    Originally posted by recovering spendaholic
    That's why I have a cineworld ticket. Use it on orange wednesdays and another person goes free and I take my own stuff in my bag to munch on I'm off to see death at a funeral today on it so should be a good laugh! The card is 13.50 a month and is unlimited (although you pay an extra 1.50 if you want to see a 3d film) but it covers almost all of my entertainment for the month, plus a friend every week so it's pretty good value.

A NSD day today for me- death at a funeral and going to pick some free plants up too

Have a good day all!

ETA: Happy birthday savvy she!
    Last edited by wssla00; 13-06-2010 at 10:04 AM.
    Feb GC: 200 Spent: 190.79
  • sianlee
    Hi,
    May I join you this month? This is my first time with the challenge but I do try to keep a note of my spending. Since I moved house in February my spending has gone through the roof. I simply cannot afford it. Eventually the money you borrow from Peter to pay Paul needs to be repaid to Peter!
    My payday is 16th of the month so I will be starting my June grocery spending then. My budget is 150 for myself, two boys & 1 pigeon murdering cat (Wish she'd eat her kills as I'd spend less on catfood!!).
    I have a full freezer & some storecupboard items so I plan to take an inventory & mealplan so I hope to have at least a weeks worth of main meals & puds.

Well done to everyone so far xx
    When I grow up I want to be a M.S.E.!!
  • Emzy81
    Well Ive had about 4 no spend days so Ive been very good. I did my topup shop today and stuck to only what I needed-all in Iceland 12 eggs,8 pints of milk and 2 loaves of Kingsmill bread so caost was: 4.70. Could be an expensive day at the dentist tomorrow though as my tooth has broken and the filling come out eating the free toffees brought back from Devon from my friend. Now-I do know better! If you are over 40-you "suck" toffees! Also did my first "Avon" round today sop popped out my brochures,met new customers and did shopping in just over an hour. Even managed to pop into a playgroup with a big bag of cardboard and paper Id scrounged from our packaging at work over the last few months.
    Time- saving/moneysaving/earning and recycling in one and a quarter hours! Just don't mention installing routers fror friends and things that won't work with out any reasonable explanation! Used up-lots of goodwill and patience but I shall recover!
    Originally posted by angelatgraceland
    Hope you do well with Avon, Ive been thinking about it but I don't think id do very well around here.

Ok-whoopsies are the reduced items-either close to their end of shelf life/dispay until date or damaged in some way.

Re the pork-they tell you this in case you don't have a decent freezer. No reason pork shouldnt be ok for 6 months.
    After all-if it was frozen pork it would have a lot longer than a month on it and it was fresh originally. Always freeze meat as fresh as possible though-straight in the freezer when you get it home rather than a few days later. There no meat only a month old in my freezer!
    Originally posted by angelatgraceland
    Thanks for that advice and I love getting whoopsies, makes sticking to my budget easier

check out the Gammon and Coke thread here

Whoopsies are reduced items, usually yellow-stickered;
    Originally posted by rosieben
    thanks for the link ill have to try that out

Well I went over my budget this week but only a little, so need to try harder next week. Ill update my signature soon.
    Went for a BBQ so it should have been a NSD but didn't like taking nothing with me so I bought stuff to make a strawberry & raspberry flan and cup cakes

Ill have to find out if there is a waitrose near me, the whoopsies sound good there

At Mr S Friday I got 3 lots of fresh meatballs knocked down to 45p a pack so they went in the freezer

Lol Felinefantastic not leaving the house is a good way of getting a NSD

Highlandfling That recipe sounds lovely ill have to try that

Well im off to try and make a meal plan for next week, my first time so hopefully I do it and stick to it!

ETA: Happy Belated Birthday to W2BMS & Mrs Woolfe & Savvyshe!!!
    • shell2001
    • By shell2001 13th Jun 10, 1:17 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 17,992 Thanks
    shell2001
    Well I had a bit of a blip so signature updated accordingly. 3 bottles of wine, crisps and other bits we did not really need bought but life is for living and fingers crossed that by being good with the meal planning this month. Did stock up on some 1 clover whilst in the co-op.

Bit annoyed that the chicken breasts I had delivered that are dated till the 15th stink to high heaven so instead of making the nuggets for the freezer they have gone in the bin!

I have made flapjacks, double chocolate brownies and a roast dinner today. Will pop the bread machine on in a mo to make rolls for pack-ups. Chicken will be used up on sandwiches during the week and I will make a stew/soup with the carcass for my lunches this week. Meal plan done for this week but need to get more milk, fruit and cereal so will do small shop to get me through week and then I will keep out of the shops!!
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 13th Jun 10, 2:06 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    Please can I change my total to 60.00?

I have upped my total by 10.00 as have bought some bits that I don't actually need at the moment, but want to make sure I have enough stuff for when i'm off work. I went to Asda last night and got teabags, sugar, pasta, oil, washing liquid, bleach and body spray amongst other things, but these are all things I will need in the next few weeks. Also got some toilet rolls in Coop this morning which are on offer. That was my fourth visit in a week to try and get them, so glad they had them as I was starting to look a bit weird

Asda - 18.53
    Coop - 2.95
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
  • FelineFantastic
    Afternoon All!

Fab NSD yesterday but had to face Mr T's today as cats had run out of dry food and one of them squeaks for England when none of that for him!

So spent about 42 so will update sig when I can be bothered to go and get it from downstairs! For anyone intertested Mu**lerlights still on offer at 8 for 2 and also Whisk3rs at 3 for 7 which is good value if your cats will eat it (mine are so fickle its hard to telll!) . Also 2 Finish 30's for 8 which is also not bad value wise (or the normal ones are 100% free for 8). Don't normally shop in Mr T's but this week it was worth it.

wssla00 I also have a Cineworld card- I normally use it a couple of times a month so 13.50 is such good value (its 8 a ticket here).

Have a great day everyone- will get receipt at some point and be good and proper with my sig! In my defence have done batch cooking for the week along with dinner

Smell of fresh bread from the kitchen is calling me away....
    June Budget= 151.41/150
    10 NSDs (with teenagers !!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!
    • boultdj
    • By boultdj 13th Jun 10, 2:49 PM
    • 4,504 Posts
    • 33,115 Thanks
    boultdj
    OH told me this morning he'd run out of pop,at him he could have told me yesterday,so been to Mr.S'sand spent $9.10 then called at corner shop to get some more sugar and other bit's that was cheaper there so $5.03 more gone so total today is $14.13.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

117Posts Today

2,326Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • So how much work do I actually do on the MSE weekly email these days, now I?m in the exhaulted position of ?Executi? https://t.co/b8XWxPiUwn

• Dear gumtree - I feel I've been sold a kipper. You're advertising has my face on it but I don't do adverts. If yo? https://t.co/kJAuziloOM

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ????This chap ????@MSE_GuyAnker is responsible for delivering MSE's Weekly Email to 14 million people, 52 weeks of the year.?

• Follow Martin