Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th May 10 at 8:33 PM
    Hi everyone,

Appologies that ithe thread is a little bit later than usual...unfortunately I've been bit wrapped up in real life. Anyway...Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of the year.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2010 at 1:23 AM.
Page 18
    • greent
    • By greent 8th Jun 10, 1:59 PM
    • 8,105 Posts
    • 82,326 Thanks
    greent
    Sounds like you have things sorted, didn't realise you can freeze banana's im just about to chuck some away, they are well past the ok to eat phase I need to keep on top of things and not waste them.
    When you freeze banana's how long after buying them do you do it?
    Originally posted by Emzy81
    I freeze them when they're brown - not just a little bit (DS3 will eat them if spotted) but very brown! I use them in muffins, banana bread, banana cake, banana porridge and banana & strawberry crumble - yum! Some people freeze in skins, I believe - but I don't
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £1972.10/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £173.62/£500
    • spendaholic
    • By spendaholic 8th Jun 10, 2:37 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 7,664 Thanks
    spendaholic
    I often think that my weekly budget is set a bit high compared to everyone else - I budget £40 per week for one person and 2 cats, but that's for EVERYTHING. Pet food, toiletries, detergents, groceries, everything. It's what I buy in one weekly shop from Tesco and that's how I work it out. If I took all of the extras out and put them in their own budget, my shopping budget would be a lot smaller.

Either way, though, my budget is £40 per week and this weekend just gone I spent £40.79. Slightly over but good enough.
    Highest debt: £35k (2005); Current debt: £6k (2018)
    MY WINS

2 tickets to the Home Building & Renovation show; £50 to spend on chocolate; 2 tickets to see the Harlem Globetrotters; designer cat food caddy; £2,500 cash; £36 cash; Jesus Christ Superstar tickets + 2 t-shirts; Creative Craft Show tickets; Birmingham City v Barnsley FC tickets; Marillion tickets; Beyond the Pole DVD; £1,000 cash; Legend of the Guardians goody bag; Dancing on Ice tickets; Barnsley FC v Millwall tickets
  • brodie1
    Hi,
    found with my new breadmaer I need the little packs. Tried the yeast from a tin that Iusually need and it didnt work. Found out in bm booklet must use the fast acting. My local deli/hfood shop let me have a case of 24 with 10% off
    Good luck
    Brodie1
    Brodie 1/ july 300/330.62August300/322.49
    September 300/239.78Oct300/258.50Nov 250/282.24 December 300/300.01 JAN 2011 300/288.72 . September 300/319.19, October 300/351.59Three adults, 1 dog and 1 cats and cleaning stuff, toiletries, beer.
    • ASC
    • By ASC 8th Jun 10, 2:52 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    ASC
    Rubbish, rubbish, rubbish, It’s official, I have no willpower.

I went to the C0-0p (well $ommerfield) to get some half price Cathedral City but there was none. I did however, emerge £11.16 lighter having picked up some half price cereal, a whoopsied box of wine (yes, a box) and a danish pastry. I am so angry with myself, I shouldn’t be allowed out on my own…

Hope you’re all having a better day than me. Signature updated

A x

Almost forgot. Re the yeast, I used to use the little packets but now I buy a packet of Doves Farm yeast (small orange pack) which works out cheaper. As long as it says fast acting somewhere on the pack, it will be okay in a breadmaker.
  • rentawitch
    On target for another NSD! Boss bought us posh lunch at the gastropub today - result.
    Sealed Pot challenge 3 - #969
    20ps and £2 coins and other bits.

July grocery challenge £167.40/£175

NSD challenge July 9/10
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 8th Jun 10, 3:08 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Found out today that I can use my "£10 off a £50 shop" Sainsburys voucher at Tesco so went along there this morning. I haven't done a proper shop there for a while and I have to say I thought it was a bit expensive compared to Asda. Anyway I spent £47.40 and got quite a bit of stuff - got cathedreal city lighter on BOGOF, Cravendale 2 for £3, and lots of frozen cod and haddock, chicken breast fillets, fruit and veg, dog food and some half price McCains sage and onion wedges. Most of what I got was from my list but there were a couple of impulse purchases - Oreos were half price so bought 2 packs (just had two with a cup of coffee) and the sage and onion wedges which I thought looked nice and some whoopsied bread for the freezer.

Was feeling quite pleased with myself and then came home and started the ironing. DD phoned up and I was cradling the phone talking to her whilst ironing at the same time and I dropped the iron and it smashed o pieces It is a four year old steam generator and I would be lost without it! So, I have just spent an hour trawling the internet trying to find a bargain replacement. I have no money in any budget for this and so will have to probably take it from the Grocery budget. Found a Swan one in TJ Hughes's for £49.99 - 2300 watts and 90g steam, which is a bit better than the one I broke, which was 2000 watts and 70g steam. Just when I think I am getting a bit ahead......

I also freeze bananas - I peel them and then put a wooden kebab stick in the bottom and wrap them in cling film. They make delicious "lolly ices" they have to be quite over-ripe or else they don't taste nice frozen.

Tea tonight is quarterpounder and oven chips with a big salad. Mullerlight and fruit for afters.
    Last edited by recovering spendaholic; 08-06-2010 at 3:11 PM.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 8th Jun 10, 3:20 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    just a quick update- my bread has turned out delicious so will def be using the BM as a regular thing On the downside ive ordered pizza for dinner so thats £17 to add to my sig but i will enjoy eating it
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
    • pipersky
    • By pipersky 8th Jun 10, 3:24 PM
    • 949 Posts
    • 15,015 Thanks
    pipersky
    Yesterday I hooked out 6 frozen bananas (loads in there) and made 2 doz choc banana muffins, most of which are packed away in the freezer for packed lunches and friends visiting.
    Originally posted by catznine
    Sorry if this is cheeky but I would love the recipe you use for choc banana muffins please I always freeze bananas and currently only make banana bread with them but would love a chocolatey change
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady

A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
  • Emzy81
    I freeze them when they're brown - not just a little bit (DS3 will eat them if spotted) but very brown! I use them in muffins, banana bread, banana cake, banana porridge and banana & strawberry crumble - yum! Some people freeze in skins, I believe - but I don't
    Originally posted by greent

thats great, thanks

Lol ASC sounds like something id do!

Yay well done rentawitch!

Recoveringspendaholic Ice lollys sound good! Shame about your iron

Lol guccigoo enjoy your pizza tonight and well done on the bread... I must fetch mine out of the cupboard and give it something to do
  • FelineFantastic
    Thanks ASC and Brodie1- had to park in Tesco's to get to breadmaker shop so got some just in case- will have a look out for the Dove Farm one when I do a proper shop

Bread is in the machine doing its thing- I will be pleasantly surprised if its edible but hey ho! Guccigoo what recipe did you use- did you try one from the threads?

ASC- one reason for the breadmaker is the lack of willpower! I also have a milkman for the same reason

Recovering- have just finished my oreo's!!

Will update on spend (and bread) later- *waves* hope you are all having a really good day
    June Budget= £151.41/£150
    10 NSDs (with teenagers !!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!
  • Emzy81
    Sorry if this is cheeky but I would love the recipe you use for choc banana muffins please I always freeze bananas and currently only make banana bread with them but would love a chocolatey change
    Originally posted by pipersky
    Ooo me too please
  • rentawitch
    @felinefantastic
    breadmaker bread is usually lovely BUT it goes stale VERY quickly!
    Be ready to eat it up fast
    Sealed Pot challenge 3 - #969
    20ps and £2 coins and other bits.

July grocery challenge £167.40/£175

NSD challenge July 9/10
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 8th Jun 10, 4:19 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    felinefantastic...... i bought hovis bread mix as i used it for the first time, really delicious, its 89p from mr s but still cheaper than a loaf u buy. Im going to be trying the recipes in the booklet that came with the BM so will nedd to buy bread flour etc. Just hope they come out as good
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 8th Jun 10, 4:34 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    @felinefantastic
    breadmaker bread is usually lovely BUT it goes stale VERY quickly!
    Be ready to eat it up fast
    Originally posted by rentawitch
    That's why I can't buy a breadmaker or else I would look like I was on It's a Knockout!
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • catznine
    • By catznine 8th Jun 10, 5:02 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    Sounds like you have things sorted, didn't realise you can freeze banana's im just about to chuck some away, they are well past the ok to eat phase I need to keep on top of things and not waste them.
    When you freeze banana's how long after buying them do you do it?
    Originally posted by Emzy81
    Soon as they go very brown and are def well past eating! I just freeze them in their skins. Take them out the freezer about 1/2 an hour before you need them, cut the end off with scissors and then squish into the cake mix! Also great processed with some orange juice for a lovely smoothie!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • wssla00
    Hello all a NSD day today and back to work tomorrow so will need to make me a lunch soon! Have a good day!
    Feb GC: £200 Spent: £190.79
    • catznine
    • By catznine 8th Jun 10, 5:12 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    Originally posted by pipersky
    lol not cheeky at all! Actually I use my banana bread recipe but bake mix in muffin cases, works well! I just added a good tablespoon of cocoa to the mixture!
    Here is the recipe:-
    Banana bread
    (great for using up those over ripe bananas)

3 very ripe bananas (almost walking) or use defrosted frozen bananas!
    pinch of salt (I don’t add this)
    6oz melted butter
    1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda dissolved in 1 tablespoon water
    6 oz caster sugar
    1 egg
    9 - 10 oz plain flour

Smash bananas (food processor is great for this recipe).

Add remaining ingredients, mix together. Pour into 2 greased or paper lined 1lb loaf tins or 1 lined 2lb tin.

Bake in moderate oven (180C/350F/Gas mark 4) for 45 minutes. Will also make as muffins, freezes well and is lovely sliced, toasted & dripping with melted butter. A good tablespoon of cocoa to the mix makes a lovely change!
    Last edited by catznine; 08-06-2010 at 5:16 PM.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 8th Jun 10, 6:13 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    The instructions / recipe booklets are available on the panny website - free to download for anyone wanting breadmaker recipes.

Mine doesn`t usually last too long but slice it and freeze it if you think it may go stale and just take out how many slices that you need from the freezer - keeps ages

Must dash.

HTH

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
    • Lindy - Loo
    • By Lindy - Loo 8th Jun 10, 6:48 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 8,403 Thanks
    Lindy - Loo
    Spent again today £4.07 in farmfoods. Bread, milk, apple juice and 3 bottles of cordial
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
    • franby64
    • By franby64 8th Jun 10, 6:51 PM
    • 894 Posts
    • 10,920 Thanks
    franby64
    Evening all

Got this week's A*da delivery today and also spent about £10 at the local shops to try and set us up for the week.

My total is up to £204.15 leaving me £15.85 until next Wednesday. I've tried to think of everything and am wondering what it is that I'll run out of first - what's going to get me!?
    Anyway - hoping for at least a couple of NSD's - I've just hidden half a packet of chocolate biscuits so some will be left for tomorrow! Getting devious!
    Last edited by franby64; 08-06-2010 at 6:55 PM.
    Starting weight on 22/6 14st 00lbs. Weight on 15/2 10st 11lbs. Lost 3st 3lbs.Target 9st 12lbs. 13lbs left.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,050Posts Today

8,853Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Channel 4 really screwed up not doing this on the Tory leaders debate last night, just think of the ratings... https://t.co/eYYfAYGdck

• Teacher/head in a London(ish) senior school? I want film a 1hr ish talk to 16-18 yr olds on student finance (to put? https://t.co/dSsSp1UVDF

• RT @thismorning: As a ban on rip-off bank fees is announced, @MartinSLewis explains if you can reclaim, and how to cut your overdraft costs?

• Follow Martin