Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th May 10 at 8:33 PM
    Hi everyone,

Appologies that ithe thread is a little bit later than usual...unfortunately I've been bit wrapped up in real life. Anyway...Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of the year.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2010 at 1:23 AM.
Page 17
    • looie
    • By looie 7th Jun 10, 7:04 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 5,749 Thanks
    looie
    hi all, just updated my signature with my weekend spends. I spent 5.52 in Mr S and 20.92 in Mr A.

I only have 31.54 so I think it is going to be very tight now this month.

Have a good evening everyone
    • shell2001
    • By shell2001 7th Jun 10, 7:54 PM
    • 1,795 Posts
    • 17,992 Thanks
    shell2001
    Keep flitting in and out of this but I must try to do better. My budget is 425 for Me, DH & 2 DD's (7 and 6) and our little woof. This is for all food, toiletries, dog stuff, prescriptions. We were away on holiday for the first week so used 100 of the budget there. Just had a tesco shop delivered today and that is 112.85 but did meal plan and have enough for this week and most of next with just a top up of veggies needed at the weekend. My month runs from 25th till 25th so hopeful I should come in on target this month.
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 7th Jun 10, 8:04 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    Not too bad at all today. Went out for lunch with my friend and it was my turn to pay so it cost 8.94 which I've adjusted my sig. for. Other than that I haven't bought anything. The meal plan was put up on the notice board in the kitchen and brought some moans from DD's - neither of them would try liver tonight so did them meat free burgers from the freezer, however when I had cooked the liver and onions DD2 decided that it looked lovely so she had some! I bought a 300g packet and it was absolutely LOADS - I didn't want to throw away any leftovers but don't know what I will do with the 4 pieces left.... I was so full after mine that I couldn't even have a drink and I fell asleep in the middle of Emmerdale
    I need to go shopping tomorrow but have made a list and am hoping to stick to it. Poppy - your salad sounds lovely - I love fruit in salad! I make a rice salad which is easy and very yummy:

125g brown rice, cooked as per instructions on pack, cooled
    1 apple, chopped
    3 large spring onions,chopped
    2 tbs sultanas
    1tbs mango chutney
    1 tbs curry powder (or less but I like it spicy)
    2 tbs salad cream
    2 tbs low fat mayo
    good squeeze of lemon juice
    chopped corriander (optional)
    salt and pepper

I just mix up the mango chutney, lemon juice, salad cream and mayo and mix it with all the other ingredients. I sometimes put leftover chopped chicken in it (if it's a main meal)and sometimes I put toasted almonds or cashews in. The above amount serves 3 as a main meal and 6 as a side with other salad and poppadums.

Put some inkjet cartridges up on ebay and my unused George foreman oven thingie on Amazon to try and raise some funds!

Off to watch Glee now.....
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
  • rosieben
    ... I make a rice salad which is easy and very yummy ...
    Originally posted by recovering spendaholic
    that sounds good! recipe now in the front page list
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • Herbaholic
    125g brown rice, cooked as per instructions on pack, cooled
    1 apple, chopped
    3 large spring onions,chopped
    2 tbs sultanas
    1tbs mango chutney
    1 tbs curry powder (or less but I like it spicy)
    2 tbs salad cream
    2 tbs low fat mayo
    good squeeze of lemon juice
    chopped corriander (optional)
    salt and pepper
    Originally posted by recovering spendaholic
    Thanks for this Recovering Shall give this a try next week with some chicken and salad.

Herby x
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ; Jun 21/14 ; May : 6/6
    GC 2010: Jul 134.03/150.00 ; Jun 278.86/275.00 ; May 276.13/280.00
    • patentgirl
    • By patentgirl 8th Jun 10, 8:39 AM
    • 886 Posts
    • 12,313 Thanks
    patentgirl
    Morning all

I am struggling this month as really cut back to bare minimum as overspent month before, trying to eat mainly out of storecupboard and freezer although that is getting bit low now, chilli tonight shouldnt need to go to shops till Friday
    Lovely recipe recovering spendaholic will definatly give that a try when got all ingredients or near enough in used last of mayo at weekend determined not to go and buy some as know will end up buying all offers best thing for me is "dont go near shops"!
    February grocery challenge 200
    • pipersky
    • By pipersky 8th Jun 10, 9:09 AM
    • 949 Posts
    • 15,015 Thanks
    pipersky
    Hiya everyone - not kept an eagle eye on spends, however I know I haven't done any proper grocery shopping since the middle of last week until last night - 15.10 spent, but will add another 10 for ready made sandwiches etc bought the last few days. We got the keys to our house (), but have paid the rent on the flat for June so we can clean and decorate the new house before we move in. There is nowhere to store food there at the mo (no fridge/freezer) so take out food is a must and ready made sandwiches are cheapest! I'm going to count 2 days as NSD's (got my sis to make some lunch for us one day and went to parents another). Will update siggy... (and I promise to start keeping track again!)...
    Part time GCer, NSDer, Comper and (Bad)Flylady

A big shot is just a little shot that kept shooting ...
  • Winged one
    I spent €84 this weekend. €34 in the farmer's market and €50 in Mr D (well, OH did there). The FM included a nice piece of organic local rarebreed pork for roasting (€10) (we love their pork chops, but those were sold out), stuffed mushrooms, nice tomatoes (for my lunchtime salads), 4 bottles of apple juice, a smoked mackeral, and elderflower cordial. We didn't need a lot in Mr D, but DD wanted cereal and the 2 of them spotted a large tub of strawbs at 100% extra free (I might have bought them, but those 2 are strawbs fiends!). Had some straight from pack, and made a victoria sponge which I sliced some into - and have half the pack for dessert tonight.

Menu for this week is:
    Sun: Rasher sambos (late arrival home - and needed to use yummy rashers from previous FM trip)
    Mon: Chicken fajitas (had smoked mackeral for lunch with salad)
    Tues: Stuffed mushrooms and salad
    Wed: Prawn tikka masala (from freezer)
    Thurs: Nasi Goreng
    Fri: Chorizo Potatoes
    Sat: Probably a mushroom or fish risotto
    Sun: Roast pork with crackling!!!

Shouldn't need anything else from SM this week - and should be a small shop next week too as I will have lots of salad from plot again, have enough meat in freezer I think, and should only need sambo meat and milk, bread, fruit to keep us going. Oh, and some peppers for salads.
    GC 2010 6,000/ 5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: 6,000/
    5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr 587.82/550 May 453.31 /550
    • ellemm
    • By ellemm 8th Jun 10, 9:29 AM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 51,810 Thanks
    ellemm
    Not posted this week, will update signature later as not at home just now.
    Had to spend a bit more this week stocking up with meat stuff for freezer meals, mostly for OH-

Did a batch cook at the weekend and made:-
    3 portions of beef & sausage for Steak Pie for OH
    3 portions of Greek style pork using a shoulder pork joint from Mr M-ate 2 on Sunday and put other in the freezer.
    12 sausage rolls
    Gammon joint cooked in cola in slow cooker, lovely with salad yesterday and OH has in sandwiches for his lunch today
    8 lamb & feta burgers
    7 jars of pickled beetroot

Plan tonight is to maybe bake (unless the tennis at Queens distracts me ) and make vanilla ice cream.

Took advantage of the half price Velvet toilet rolls in Co-op, bought 2 packs as my stash from last time was getting low

Nice to see all the newbies joining in.

• welshkaz
    8.15 for me today local market for fruit and veg eggs and milk ive given up on nsd at the mo lol
    may groc challenge 167/280...
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 8th Jun 10, 10:05 AM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Hi everyone,

i`ve just totalled up all my receipts and i`m a bit shocked to see that i`ve spent over half my budget already

On the plus side i`ve made a new freezer list as i have to run it right down to be emptied ready to order a new one and we have so much food in there its unbelieveable

Meal plan for the rest of the week is :-

Today - Sausage and onion pasta with red pesto
    Wednesday - Cheats paella & garlic bread
    Thursday - HM pizza
    Friday - Tuna & mayo salad
    Saturday - Tomato dahl & rice

I have the beginnings of a meal plan for the rest of the month that i should be able to loosely stick to by swapping the meals/days around depending on what we fancy or whats convenient as working shifts sometimes scuppers normal plans but i have my fingers crossed.

There`s no way that i can be over budget after upping the amount that i can spend this month, the extra is meant to be spent stocking the new cupboards back up to a normal level, i was shocked to find that i had only one tin of tomatoes and only half a carton of passatta that i`d frozen for another day

Keep up the good work everyone.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
  • FelineFantastic
    Morning All!

Successful NSD yesterday and today- I hope! I have updated my sig for yesterday only at the mo- need to do it for Saturday spend- I won't forget- promise!

Am having a clear out week so will be risotto of some sort tonight I think (after weigh in!! ).

Recovering- hello fellow Gleek!!

Good luck to everyone- you are all so inspirational- I love coming in to get my fix of backbone!

Have a great day and *hugs* for anyone that needs them.
    June Budget= 151.41/150
    10 NSDs (with teenagers !!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 8th Jun 10, 10:44 AM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    hi everyone so excited i bought myself a breadmaker today and its on the go now just hope the bread comes out ok! i bought bread mix to start off with but will eventually be buying bread flour etc, what bread flour does everyone else use? so today ive spent 6.07 in mr s on bread mix plus other bits. Off to update sig and check on the bread
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
  • FelineFantastic
    Help!!!

Can anyone point me in the direction of good breadmaker recipes please- am just off to get one and all the reviews said machine good- recipe book bad!

Also do I have to use packets of yeast or can I use the stuff in the little tin that I already have??

ooooh life is an adventure some days eh?!
    June Budget= 151.41/150
    10 NSDs (with teenagers !!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!
  • MrsBsBlog
    Afternoon all, just popped in to update siggy,

Hope everyone`s fine and dandy. Had a nsd yesterday and hopefully today, but I know i`ll have to buy milk and some other bits and pieces tomorrow.

Catch u all later.
    Grocery Challenge 2010 400 each month
    January 377.67 February 375.18 March 355.43
    April 506.23 May 381.04 June 88.58
  • yummymummy05
    just updating my siggy - the steak came to 30.62 last night but they cut them quite thick (about 6oz each) so I only got 7 meals out of them but at 1.60 they are still cheaper than the supermarket. I might have a look at them and see if I can halve some of them!

Am going to get the kids to help me bake flapjacks this afternoon (my take on the orininal Twinks hobnobs) and we have steak and chips for dinner!!
    FebGC
    wk1 0/100 NSD's 0/7
    wk2
    wk3
    wk4
    Total 0/400
  • Emzy81
    Hi everyone

Would anyone mind if I joined this thread please? Me and my DF keep trying to cut down our spending on food but we never manage it, mostly because (due to past things) ive never really learned how/what to cook, so I end up buying stuff I can 'chuck' on. But ive just seen the recipe list and it looks great, I did say I was going to make an effort to learn a while ago but things got on top of me and I gave up (not good ) But im really determined to make this work
    So heres to less money spent on food and better meals!!.......

(now to find the thread on what can be cooked and frozen and etc...)
  • poppy-glos
    went to mr t and got caught by the offers!

therefore, after the warm glow of being on target i am now over, by 9.60.

To keep my mind focussed i have put the balance in red and will keep it so til i get back to where i should be at that point, ie, under 10/30ths of the budget on the 10th.

i found the value noodles in tesco again, up to 14p each now, and value fromage frais have gone up to their origional price of 45 p rather than the 20p i've enjoyed the last few weeks.

nov grocery challenge, .227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
    • catznine
    • By catznine 8th Jun 10, 1:27 PM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    No spend day today and I've cancelled tomorrows fruit and veg box delivery, saving me 11.95 and we can start to clear out the oddments of fruit and veg in the freezers instead!

Yesterday I hooked out 6 frozen bananas (loads in there) and made 2 doz choc banana muffins, most of which are packed away in the freezer for packed lunches and friends visiting.

Dinner tonight - mash potatoes, turkey breast slices (from yesterdays bargains) froz veg of some kind - prob carrots and runner beans and gravy. Rest of the strawberries for pudding.

By the end of the week I will need to buy some more eggs but can bake some bread from supplies. Really, really need to keep spending down from now!
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge 35.77/120
  • Emzy81
    No spend day today and I've cancelled tomorrows fruit and veg box delivery, saving me 11.95 and we can start to clear out the oddments of fruit and veg in the freezers instead!

Yesterday I hooked out 6 frozen bananas (loads in there) and made 2 doz choc banana muffins, most of which are packed away in the freezer for packed lunches and friends visiting.

Dinner tonight - mash potatoes, turkey breast slices (from yesterdays bargains) froz veg of some kind - prob carrots and runner beans and gravy. Rest of the strawberries for pudding.

By the end of the week I will need to buy some more eggs but can bake some bread from supplies. Really, really need to keep spending down from now!
    Originally posted by catznine
    Sounds like you have things sorted, didn't realise you can freeze banana's im just about to chuck some away, they are well past the ok to eat phase I need to keep on top of things and not waste them.
    When you freeze banana's how long after buying them do you do it?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

207Posts Today

2,836Users online

Martin's Twitter