Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th May 10, 8:33 PM
    June 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th May 10 at 8:33 PM
    Hi everyone,

Appologies that ithe thread is a little bit later than usual...unfortunately I've been bit wrapped up in real life. Anyway...Welcome to the sixth Grocery Challenge of the year.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your May budget, then keep on posting in the May 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz
    Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #5 and #6 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #3 and #4 on this thread.

Wishing you all a great month!

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-05-2010 at 1:23 AM.
Page 16
    • guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 7th Jun 10, 11:10 AM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    well i reported yesterday that i was only going to buy banana's today and ive stuck to my word so ive spent 76p in mr s. tomorrow nsd
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
    • Pablosmummy
    • By Pablosmummy 7th Jun 10, 11:24 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Pablosmummy
    update
    well my shopping was delivered yesterday which should last two weeks (apart from bread but I wouldnt have fit another loaf in the freezer)

Had chicken dinner yesterday, having chicken curry tonight, and today I'll be making chicken pie for the freezer. I was looking at making a soup with the leftovers but I cant find out how! I want to use the chicken for some kind of base for the soup? I've searched but all I can find is that people have made soup from leftover chicken and not how! Do just stick it in a big saucepan???

Help me!!!
    Thanks
    May Grocery Challenge -216/400
  • wssla00
    Pablosmummy..... I just stick the carcass in with a halved onion, two carrots halved and two celery sticks halved. Then I add about a pint of water and a bit of wine and salt and pepper and simmer slooowwwly for a good few hours. Taste the broth to see if you like the flavour and then remove the chicken carcass and the veggies. If you want to intensify the flavour then boil it for a few more minutes to allow it to reduce. Then you can add some finely diced carrots, some leeks or onions cooked in butter, finely diced celery and any left over chicken you have. Delicious!
    Feb GC: 200 Spent: 190.79
    • Pablosmummy
    • By Pablosmummy 7th Jun 10, 12:07 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 2,825 Thanks
    Pablosmummy
    Thank you!! I dont usually eat much meat (as in only have it about once a month) so this whole chicken thing is scary!! but its worked out really cheap, considering I'm making three main meals, soup and 1 bbq chicken salad (for my lunch) from one chicken!

I'm off to cook
    May Grocery Challenge -216/400
  • rosieben
    Winchelsea, thinking of you and your OH

had a really difficult couple of months my younger daughter been diagnosed with crohens disease cant believe we are heere again. ...
    Originally posted by andrinaperry
    so sorry to hear that; whilst you're looking after your family please don't forget to take care of yourself

Welcome to all our newbies, great to see so many new faces joining us

I've updated the front page recipe list with -

Sweet potato and pea curry
    Indian curried pork patties recipe and
    falafel burgers

and I put in the link to Weezl's Family Recipes website too (in external links at bottom of the list)

Thanks for your input girls

I've had a few nsd's, been busy playing in my new craft room - its a great distraction from spending!

Positive thoughts and <<hugs>> to all who are ill or coping with family illness

Take care everyone, and good luck with the challenge
    Last edited by rosieben; 07-06-2010 at 12:23 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
  • sadsadjenjen
    Hello All
    missed the start of this thread (duh). anyway the shopping is not going great. I can not belive the price of fruit and veg. OH says i need to visit the market for these rather than supermarkets and see if this reduces costs. The problem with this is that I can only go on Sat mornings, it is a bus ride away, I like to go swimming with DD, OH is at work so no one else to take swimming, cuts into the rest of my day
    Right enough moaning I need to reduce costs. I will find a way to fit this in I think my lie in will have to go. up and out for 7am back home around 9am (gulp) wish me luck
    Last edited by sadsadjenjen; 07-06-2010 at 12:44 PM.
    SadSadJenJen
    url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]http://tickers.myfitnesspal.com/tick...40/3652140.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
    • Lindy - Loo
    • By Lindy - Loo 7th Jun 10, 12:41 PM
    • 800 Posts
    • 8,403 Thanks
    Lindy - Loo
    Tesco shop has arrived and that will be the last shop till 21st june. Have bought fruit, veg and offer bits in netto so hopefully just milk and bread this week and wraps as I forgot them on the inline order! Next week shud just be fruit, veg, milk and bread. Sig updated x
    Mum, wife and dinnerlady!
    • pammyj74
    • By pammyj74 7th Jun 10, 1:22 PM
    • 3,164 Posts
    • 17,364 Thanks
    pammyj74
    Have spent 36.43 so far, hoping to keep on target this month again

MPs left feb '08 276- Dec 13 36 MB Jan 10 ~ 82,377 Dec 13 ~ 29987
    EMFD was Feb 32 NOW Dec 2013 its Dec 2016
    MF new target Dec 16 REACHED!!
  • wssla00
    Thank you!! I dont usually eat much meat (as in only have it about once a month) so this whole chicken thing is scary!! but its worked out really cheap, considering I'm making three main meals, soup and 1 bbq chicken salad (for my lunch) from one chicken!

I'm off to cook
    Originally posted by Pablosmummy
    Good oh have you seen the benefits of mince and lentils yet?

Famous last words about two NSD's have just defrosted my freezer and am seriously lacking in chicken and fish fillets so will need to go to get them at some point!
    Last edited by wssla00; 07-06-2010 at 1:39 PM.
    • franby64
    • By franby64 7th Jun 10, 1:48 PM
    • 894 Posts
    • 10,920 Thanks
    franby64
    Hi all

Spent 4.37 today on bread, pate, a cucumber and some salad leaves.

So I'm 15.80 over for this week which I will knock off next week. Meal plan and online shop done for next week (though I shall probably faff around with the shop a bit more before the day is out).

I'm already playing catch-up... Who'd have guessed!!
    Starting weight on 22/6 14st 00lbs. Weight on 15/2 10st 11lbs. Lost 3st 3lbs.Target 9st 12lbs. 13lbs left.
  • booskyeboo
    Hi all,

Had a small spend on much needed toiletries 2.38 and 3.50 fruit/veg.

Just updating my signature so far so good, but I am only on the first week.

Tea tonight is Feta Cheese and Spinach Tart with Salad
    WW start date 31/8/2011

weight lost so far:- 32lbs
  • wssla00
    8.59 spent in Asda today. Got, 2 big bags of prawn crackers (my favourite treat) chicken breasts, fish fillets, chocolate digestives, Aunt Bessies frozen mash and a big bag of Soda bread flour. Yay! Scotland finally sells it! Will update my sig!
    • ASC
    • By ASC 7th Jun 10, 3:32 PM
    • 152 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    ASC
    Morning all Aiming for an NSD for today and tomorrow as not venturing out today and am at the hospital tomorrow so wont be in the mood to spend any money!

Going to make some snacks. Perhaps some cheese biscuits- does anyone have any recipes? I may take a look on the begining of the thread, some sausage rolls, perhaps some muffins and a quiche.

Well... better go and clean up! Have a good day!
    Originally posted by wssla00
    Hi, I've been making cheese scones a lot lately. I don't know if there's a recipe on the front page but I roughly follow this:

8 oz SR flour
    1 tsp salt
    2 oz butter
    1 medium egg
    4 tbls milk
    2 oz cheese
    1/2 tsp mustard
    1/4 tsp black pepper

(Although I do up the cheese, pepper and mustard a little) I tend to blitz the dry stuff in a food processor first, then add the wet and it all comes together nicely. I don't bother rolling out, just roll small amounts in your hands and blob onto a greased baking tray. Brush with milk or egg and cook at GM7 for about 10-12 minutes. Taste so good hot from the oven but nice cold too!

HTH
    A x

PS. I've got some pastry and sausagemeat in the freezer so I'm planning to try sausage rolls myself soon.
    • boultdj
    • By boultdj 7th Jun 10, 3:33 PM
    • 4,504 Posts
    • 33,115 Thanks
    boultdj
    Milk off this morning,so trip to Mr M's got some of the stuff on offer that we like and that we were running out off, total spend $21.58 but that also include's the stamp's for the saving's card.
  • wssla00
    Hi, I've been making cheese scones a lot lately. I don't know if there's a recipe on the front page but I roughly follow this:

8 oz SR flour
    1 tsp salt
    2 oz butter
    1 medium egg
    4 tbls milk
    2 oz cheese
    1/2 tsp mustard
    1/4 tsp black pepper

(Although I do up the cheese, pepper and mustard a little) I tend to blitz the dry stuff in a food processor first, then add the wet and it all comes together nicely. I don't bother rolling out, just roll small amounts in your hands and blob onto a greased baking tray. Brush with milk or egg and cook at GM7 for about 10-12 minutes. Taste so good hot from the oven but nice cold too!

HTH
    A x

PS. I've got some pastry and sausagemeat in the freezer so I'm planning to try sausage rolls myself soon.
    Originally posted by ASC
    Thanks for this! Will give them a go!

I made sausage and spring onion sausage rolls last week and they were great!
  • poppy-glos

eggs 3.25 ( 30 free range straight from the farm)
    2 x 55p tin coconut milk from co-op.

for the first time since starting the grocery challenge i haven't overspent in the first 7 days, horrah!

made a rice salad for lunch today, not sure if i've posted it before

i mug basmati rice - boiled and drained
    2 tablespoons mayo
    some black pepper
    small tin drained mandarin oranges (drained and drank the juice)
    four spring/salad onions chopped
    mix all the above, then at last minute scatter with salted peanuts (i use the 25 p value ones from tesco)

nov grocery challenge, .227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
    • angelatgraceland
    • By angelatgraceland 7th Jun 10, 3:57 PM
    • 3,318 Posts
    • 23,074 Thanks
    angelatgraceland
    Not been on here much-lack of time--but still focused on budget and have kept my spending diary uptodate. Shortage of paid work but the extra time allows extra vigilance on the budgetfront! Just made a pizza type meal with jusrol puff pastry which is a naughty treat for me. Salads have been a favourite the last few weeks using the lettuces from the garden and sprouted chickpeas and mungbeans plus the usual salady stuff from shops. Ive returned to Lidl as my main shop for their prices and unusual cold meats. Same quality as Waitrose meats the deli section but a fraction of the cost.
    Now have breadmaker on for a nice loaf-going to bake it in the oven though. Had to buy bits and pieces for house and garden which add up rather fast and have found "Proper Job" are excellent on prices-if you have one locally do take a look. I will update my totals later today as they are way behind!
    Annual Grocery budget 2018 is 1500 pa 125 calendar month 28.84 pw for 3 adults
  • welshkaz
    rainy day here in wales but only a small spend to add 3.00 onto sig x
    may groc challenge 167/280...
  • rosieben
    ... made a rice salad for lunch today, not sure if i've posted it before ...
    Originally posted by poppy-glos
    Yes you did, its already in the front page list

ASC - your cheese scone recipe is now in the front page recipe list!
    Last edited by rosieben; 07-06-2010 at 5:19 PM.
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 7th Jun 10, 5:25 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    freakygore - what is the toilet roll offer in Co-op?
    Originally posted by recovering spendaholic
    They have a 9 pack of Triple Velvet for 2.50 (Somerfield should too, but I don't have one near). I didn't stop on my way home so will pop in tomorrow and see if they have any. Or I may wander down later.

2.39 spent today - got some bananas in Sainsburys which usually have 8 in a bag, but found a bag with 10 big ones!

Oh, and some more Kettle Chips. No more!!
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,167Posts Today

6,946Users online

Martin's Twitter