Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    kacy75
    red lentils
    • 13th Jul 06, 9:37 AM
    red lentils 13th Jul 06 at 9:37 AM
    Ive decided to try and get my family to eat better and the last time I went shopping bought red lentils, only I have no idea what to do with them, Ive thought about doing a simple soup anyone got any recipes for that. When do u use lentils. Hope you can help especially if you have any war time recipes. Im trying to spend much less on food because we waste so much and have found some of the wartime recipes are a great wasy of making something out of nothing when your due to go shopping and your cupboards are empty.
    Thank you
    Never look back if you want to move forwards

Piggyback rewards - 10 costa coffee voucher, one 10 arcadia voucher, 20 boots vouchers,
Page 4
    • Penelope Penguin
    • By Penelope Penguin 24th Jun 08, 1:03 PM
    • 17,087 Posts
    • 132,754 Thanks
    Penelope Penguin
    Hi, there! I throw red lentils into sauces with the tinned tomatoes. I find I need to add more liquid, as the lentils soak up quite a lot.

We have an older thread on lentils, so I'll add this one, to keep suggestions together.

Penny. x
    Sheep, pigs, hens and bees on our Teesdale smallholding
  • jcr16
    lentils galore
    ok forgive me if i've asked this before or if there is a similar post as i can't find it.

but i have stacks of red lentils, green lentils, yellow spilt peas. now i usually add them to stews etc. and i have a fab recipe for a spilt pea and carrot loaf which is yum. but i fancy something different.

i am thinking maybe something with rice or potatos but i don't know what. i have most herbs and spices etc in cupboard. hubby not keen on lentils or pulses so i need to make something to impress him.

all ideas welcomed.
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
    • carriebradshaw
    • By carriebradshaw 4th Jun 10, 10:39 AM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 3,548 Thanks
    carriebradshaw
    I love this recipe it's very moreish I sometimes use a mixture of split peas and lentils instead of just lentils,tastes just as good to me

Cheese & Lentil Loaf

150g cheese, grated (I use cheddar or red leicester) up to you to use what you like really though
    225g red lentils,rinsed well and cooked
    100g porridge oats or breadcrumbs
    100g mushrooms, finely chopped
    100g mixed peppers, finely chopped
    1 large onion, finely chopped
    3 cloves garlic, grated
    2 large carrots, or parsnips or 1 of each grated,
    1 beaten egg
    a good handful of chopped herbs I use mainly thyme & a little bit of rosemary(not too much Rosemary it can taste soapy) from my garden,but have also used mint and parsley as I grow those as well.You would use less if using dried herbs as they are stronger so Im told

salt & pepper to your taste

Pre-heat oven to 180c & line your loaf tin with greasproof paper then grease the paper or it will stick
    Cook lentils in 500ml water until soft and have absorbed most of the water.
    In another pan with a small amount of oil,gently soften onions & peppers,add garlic,mushrooms & grated carrots and cook for a few more mins then tip it all into a large bowl
    Add the lentils, cheese,oats & herbs & mix well, season with salt and pepper,and stir in the beaten egg.
    Pour into lined 2lb loaf tin bake for 30-40 mins, until top is golden.
    Remove from oven and place a plate over the top,then a heavy weight or some tins on top of that to press for about 15mins half an hour.This will make it easier/firmer to turn out and slice up.

Then turn out onto a plate, peel off the paper and slice up how you want it and eat.

I love this served hot with some veggies or cold with salad, would be nice with some tattie wedges or chips too I should imagine.
  • jcr16
    that sounds gorgeous. think my hubby might go for that. would it also slice up cold for lunch boxes ? to have with quiche and salad type light lunches ?
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
  • AussieLass
    I made a lovely curried lentil lasagne a few weeks back. It was so nice. I'm off to bed now and can't be !!!!!d to go downstairs and grab my recipe book but if you want the recipe I'll type it out in the morning.
    Don't worry about the world coming to an end today. It's already tomorrow in Australia.

• mi jardin
    Lentil curry is nice, even my meat loving hubby likes that once in a while.

• carriebradshaw
    • By carriebradshaw 4th Jun 10, 11:55 AM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 3,548 Thanks
    carriebradshaw
    that sounds gorgeous. think my hubby might go for that. would it also slice up cold for lunch boxes ? to have with quiche and salad type light lunches ?
    Originally posted by jcr16
    yes it's even better cold
  • Hippeechiq
    I love this recipe it's very moreish I sometimes use a mixture of split peas and lentils instead of just lentils,tastes just as good to me

Cheese & Lentil Loaf

150g cheese, grated (I use cheddar or red leicester) up to you to use what you like really though
    3 cloves garlic, grated
    1 beaten egg
    a good handful of chopped herbs I use mainly thyme & a little bit of rosemary(not too much Rosemary it can taste soapy) from my garden,but have also used mint and parsley as I grow those as well.You would use less if using dried herbs as they are stronger so Im told

Pre-heat oven to 180c & line your loaf tin with greasproof paper then grease the paper or it will stick
    In another pan with a small amount of oil,gently soften onions & peppers,add garlic,mushrooms & grated carrots and cook for a few more mins then tip it all into a large bowl
    Add the lentils, cheese,oats & herbs & mix well, season with salt and pepper,and stir in the beaten egg.
    Remove from oven and place a plate over the top,then a heavy weight or some tins on top of that to press for about 15mins half an hour.This will make it easier/firmer to turn out and slice up.

Then turn out onto a plate, peel off the paper and slice up how you want it and eat.

I love this served hot with some veggies or cold with salad, would be nice with some tattie wedges or chips too I should imagine.
    Originally posted by carriebradshaw
    Oh my carriebradshaw, that sounds mighty fine!

Many (cough) years ago now Holl@nd & Barretts used to make a vegetarian tray bake that you could buy by the slice - can't remember what it was called, but it was divine. Sadly, they don't do it anymore. Although I seem to remember theirs having sunflower seeds in it, this sounds like it may be quite similar.

I have to confess that I've never made anything even remotely like this before but I'm sorely tempted to give it a bash. I'd probably be the only one in the family who'd eat it though - does it freeze well?
    • carriebradshaw
    • By carriebradshaw 5th Jun 10, 4:42 AM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 3,548 Thanks
    carriebradshaw
    yes it freezes very well
  • Lesley Gaye

Cheese & Lentil Loaf

3 cloves garlic, grated
    1 beaten egg

that sounds utterly delish, I'll def be giving this one a go
  • BOGOF Queen
    I make a chilli con carne with lentils instead of using mince, use red lentils usually. I boil the lentils for 3 minutes in the microwave first and then add them to the browned onions and garlic. Add a can of tomatoes, dried kidney beans (boiled for 20 mins first to remove the toxins), some dried chilli & some dried herbs, some black pepper and usually a glug or two of red wine if I happen to have a bottle open. Bit of tomato puree to thicken and then simmer for 40 minutes or so - goes with rice and even my meat eating dh &ds enjoy it. Also make a spag bol in much the same way - just leave out the kidney beans and the chilli. A couple of meals like this each week saves quite a bit of money in not having to buy meat - also lentils have quite a lot of health benefits.
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 5th Jun 10, 1:05 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    Hi Jcr

I love the sound of that cheese and lentil loaf!

I must admit i need to be more adventurous with lentils! Lentil curry is always good - or have you tried making a dahl? My fave lentil recipe is using a ham hock to make carrot and lentil soup

Red lentils

Lentils - the super cheap super food

Lentilles verte and puy (green) lentils

What to do with dried split peas

Please help me find a way to like beans and pulses

Buying tinned pulses or cooking pulses

Pulses novice needs help

Pulses quick questions

Some of the threads cover things you haven't asked about - butter beans for example, but i thought i would link to them anyway to give you more inspiration.

Let us know how you get on, and I'll merge this later once you get more input

thanks
    Zip
    A little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men
    Norn Iron club member #380

• Hippeechiq
    yes it freezes very well
    Excellent! Definitely gonna have a bash at it now. Thank you Though frustratingly, it'll have to wait until next week as my mushrooms are spoken for in this weekends' recipe
    I make a chilli con carne with lentils instead of using mince, use red lentils usually. I boil the lentils for 3 minutes in the microwave first and then add them to the browned onions and garlic. Add a can of tomatoes, dried kidney beans (boiled for 20 mins first to remove the toxins), some dried chilli & some dried herbs, some black pepper and usually a glug or two of red wine if I happen to have a bottle open. Bit of tomato puree to thicken and then simmer for 40 minutes or so - goes with rice and even my meat eating dh &ds enjoy it. Also make a spag bol in much the same way - just leave out the kidney beans and the chilli. A couple of meals like this each week saves quite a bit of money in not having to buy meat - also lentils have quite a lot of health benefits.
    That's a very good idea BOGOF Queen and the above sound very nice indeed. I'm in the process of trying to incorporate at least one veggie meal a week. Lentils and pulses are all a bit new to me, and I have to have an exact recipe to follow as I'm still unsure how much to use, especially when using lentils, but I'm enjoying the discovery

What I've started to do this last month is to try out 1 new vegetarian recipe each weekend. Couple of weeks ago it was Shepherdess Pie, which was lush, last weekend it was Ratatouille Pasta with Feta Cheese which was quite vile although I've no idea why. This weekend it's Spicy Mushroom & Bean Chilli, which I'm hoping will be nice I figure if every other recipe is a success, I'll soon have enough recipes to have one veggie meal a week and thus cut down on my food bill too - if I can find enough recipes for two a week, even better
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 5th Jun 10, 1:36 PM
    • 15,431 Posts
    • 150,554 Thanks
    mardatha
    Home made soup?
    • carriebradshaw
    • By carriebradshaw 5th Jun 10, 1:54 PM
    • 1,337 Posts
    • 3,548 Thanks
    carriebradshaw
    Excellent! Definitely gonna have a bash at it now. Thank you Though frustratingly, it'll have to wait until next week as my mushrooms are spoken for in this weekends' recipe
    Originally posted by Hippeechiq
    just make it without them, I used to and it's just as nice
  • Hippeechiq
    Don't suppose I'll be lucky enough to find anyone online, but just in case....I feel fairly stupid for having to ask but the fact is I've never boiled lentils before and I'm not sure what I should expect them to look like

I brought them to the boil in the 500ml of water, but they were tender almost immediately, so to prevent them from ending up as 'mush' I took them off the cooker. There is still a little water in the saucepan and I'm unclear whether to drain the pan, or whether the liquid should go into the loaf or not? I'm ready to mix it all together, but don't know what to do with the little excess water that there is....anyone out there? (she asks hopefully)
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 5th Jun 10, 4:54 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    I;ve never cooked lentils on their own, but they do go mushy. If they have "bite" i would guess they are undercooked. Or, i completely overcook my lentils he he!

I would drain the water as the egg is the binding ingredient.

I would also be crossing my fingers and hope it worked he he!

• Hippeechiq
    You're a little star - thank you

Tis now in the oven I've no idea what it was supposed to look like prior to cooking, or how 'stiff' or 'loose' the mixture was supposed to be, but it looked promising in it's 'raw' state.

Will try and get back on later to tell you how it turned out, if not, it may be tomorrow.

Thanks again for your help zippychick
    • zippychick
    • By zippychick 5th Jun 10, 5:53 PM
    • 9,343 Posts
    • 17,889 Thanks
    zippychick
    Ah great! Not a problem - I hope i gave the right advice

• liz545
    • By liz545 5th Jun 10, 8:09 PM
    • 1,713 Posts
    • 16,706 Thanks
    liz545
    i have a fab recipe for a spilt pea and carrot loaf which is yum. but i fancy something different.
    Originally posted by jcr16
    Could you post the split pea and carrot loaf recipe? I've got tonnes of split peas because I keep thinking I've run out when I'm doing the shopping!
    2015 comp wins - 370.25
    Recent wins: gym class, baby stuff
    Thanks to everyone who posts freebies and comps!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,389Posts Today

8,289Users online

Martin's Twitter