Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Trow
    • By Trow 2nd Mar 05, 3:30 PM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    Trow
    • 2nd Mar 05, 3:30 PM
    • 2nd Mar 05, 3:30 PM
    You don't need a popcorn maker - it can be done in a pan with a lid, heat up some oil in the bottom with the kernels - just make sure you don't put too much in - a layer of one kernel is usually enough!

To make it sweet melt some butter/marg in a pan with some syrup and pour over. Yum!
  • Lillibet
    • 2nd Mar 05, 3:31 PM
    • 2nd Mar 05, 3:31 PM
    I make it all the time but don't have a machine. I used to buy the microwave stuff but have now found that the old fashioned way in a saucepan makes it even nicer & is cheaper still, after popping I add a little salt to make it savoury or icing sugar (works better than granulated) to make it sweet.
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Galtizz
    • 2nd Mar 05, 3:36 PM
    • 2nd Mar 05, 3:36 PM
    Where do you get the kernals from?
    When life hands you a lemon, make sure you ask for tequilla and salt
  • fazer6
    • 2nd Mar 05, 3:42 PM
    • 2nd Mar 05, 3:42 PM
    Booths. I find Asda don't always have it so it's either booths or a health food shop. About 99p for a 250g bag so it's dirt cheap.

I've found you burn less in a popcornmaker, the corns are bigger (perhaps the temp is higher or something), and there's no oil so the popcornmaker's easier to clean than a pan. I was given mine as a prezzie so it didn't cost anything. Butter and a bit of sugar in the bit on top of where the popcorn jumps out and it'll melt nicely.

I think I might make a batch tonight too.

Does anyone have a toffee style coating recipie? How do they make sweet stuff at the cinema? It's so tasty.
  • Quackers
    • 2nd Mar 05, 3:56 PM
    • 2nd Mar 05, 3:56 PM
    by Galtizz
    I get mine from sainsburys - its the only place that always has them in stock.

I'm hopeless as making coatings for my popcorn - they never seem to turn out right. We do like it 'as it comes' though so we're ok. It was my daughters birthday yesterday & as Dad was at work we had a 'girls night in'. Bridget Jones 2, popcorn, strawberries, grapes and a bowl of melted chocolate to dip it all in

Oh, we have this jazzy little duck which cost us just 10 from Makro a couple of years ago & its fab. You fill his hat with kernels, chuck it in his head & get a huge bowlful of popcorn out of his beak :

Sometimes it's important to work for that pot of gold...But other times it's essential to take time off and to make sure that your most important decision in the day simply consists of choosing which color to slide down on the rainbow...
  • Lillibet
    • 2nd Mar 05, 4:21 PM
    • 2nd Mar 05, 4:21 PM
    by Galtizz
    Tescos. It in the crisps aisle.
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • frizz_head
    • 3rd Mar 05, 8:34 AM
    • 3rd Mar 05, 8:34 AM
    Popcorn Recipes Here

Frizz

P.S. I get mine in Sainburys - with all the lentils and stuff.
    Only 5% of those who can give blood, actually do!
    Do Something Amazing Today.
    Save a Life - Give Blood.
    20 pints donated!
  • furrypig
    • 3rd Mar 05, 9:02 AM
    • 3rd Mar 05, 9:02 AM
    [url="http://www.recipegoldmine.com/popcorn/popcorn.html"]Popcorn Recipes Here[/url.
    by frizz_head

Wow I have made a sauce for my popcorn before but never realsied there were so many recipes out there!!

I have the duck popcorn maker (or should I say my daughter does!) and I also buy the kernals from sainsburys.

We also have a candy floss maker so we often have a cinema at home with all the family watching a dvd and eating popcorn and occassionally candy floss (messier and not so healthy!)
  • fazer6
    I can't believe how many popcorn recipies there are, I can't believe I've only ever done butter and sugar, how boring.

How good must irish coffee cruch taste.
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 3rd Mar 05, 1:14 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    I buy my popcorn kernals from Sainsbury's. A small bag makes loads of popped corn (enough to feed armies of tennagers) and costs about 60p. Very good value.

I also don't bother with a special machine - but if you use a pan, keep the pan moving over the heat and use as heavy bottomed one as you have.

yes, you guessed it. This has been gleaned for personal experience!
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
  • filigree
    I already mentioned my trusty popcorn machine on the Gadgets thread. Mine was a present so it cost nothing, but since they usually cost less than 15 it would pay for itself if you eat lots of popcorn like I do.

The popcorn kernels appear all over the place, even in several places in one supermarket. I find them with the lentils, in the West Indian section (Dunn River brand), the Greek section (Cypressa brand) and the crisps aisle. The price difference is usually only pennies though.

I have had loads of success taking the popcorn maker to PTA fundraising events. The excitement of watching the corn pop keeps the kids amused and there are usually queues waiting to buy the stuff. Because it's so cheap we make a HUGE profit margin on the sales!
  • halloweenqueen
    Have used the oil/pan method for years but got a ducky last year and it is better popcorn and so healthy...until half the sugar bowl disappears on it! I bought some butter coating powder in US last year yum yum!!
    • tiff
    • By tiff 16th Mar 05, 10:18 AM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    I already mentioned my trusty popcorn machine on the Gadgets thread. Mine was a present so it cost nothing, but since they usually cost less than 15 it would pay for itself if you eat lots of popcorn like I do.

The popcorn kernels appear all over the place, even in several places in one supermarket. I find them with the lentils, in the West Indian section (Dunn River brand), the Greek section (Cypressa brand) and the crisps aisle. The price difference is usually only pennies though.

I have had loads of success taking the popcorn maker to PTA fundraising events. The excitement of watching the corn pop keeps the kids amused and there are usually queues waiting to buy the stuff. Because it's so cheap we make a HUGE profit margin on the sales!
    by filigree
    I was in Holland and Barrett today, their popcorn kernels are 99p for a 1kg bag at the moment, on special offer. I bought a bag and remembered this thread. I love the idea of selling them at PTA events, our PTA always sets up a very large stall of sweets which annoys me really so I might tactfully suggest eventually giving up the sweets and doing popcorn instead. Thanks for the idea.
    A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
    • lynzpower
    • By lynzpower 10th May 06, 6:42 PM
    • 24,745 Posts
    • 39,940 Thanks
    lynzpower
    Quick popcorn question
    Hi there
    wanting to pop some corn in pan

Do I melt butter or oil in it?

How much do I put in for adequate amount for 2 hungry people watching the final of apprentice?
    Well aint funny how its the little things in life that mean the most? Not where you live, the car you drive or the price tag on your clothes.
    Theres no dollar sign on piece of mind
    This Ive come to know...
    So if you agree have a drink with me, raise your glasses for a toast
  • Gingham Ribbon
    I heat up about a tablespoon of sunflower oil, throw in a random amount, put the lid on and stand back. It keeps well in a tub so I don't mind if I do too much.

(As long as the stuff you keep doesn't have sauce on it. In which case, it goes soggy!)

It really does make a huge amount so go easy and use the biggest pan you can!
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 10th May 06, 6:48 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Hi linzpower,

Oil works ok, but butter definitely gives a better flavour.

Pink
  • Kazonline
    1 tsp oil (I use corn)
    2 heaped tbsp Corn

LARGE PAN (I use pressure cooker)

KAz
  • Gingham Ribbon
    Hmm. I'm off to try it out with butter.
    May all your dots fall silently to the ground.
  • henhog
    You can use icing sugar to make it sweet - but watch out as it gets very hot! You add it to the pan at the end when your pop corn has popped!
    BTW - can't wait for Apprentice final - love the Brummie but think the blonde will win!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

79Posts Today

3,004Users online

Martin's Twitter