Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 2nd Mar 05, 12:54 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Improve your screen's clarity for Free
    • 2nd Mar 05, 12:54 PM
    Improve your screen's clarity for Free 2nd Mar 05 at 12:54 PM
    A tip to improve some computer's screen clarity (and worsen others, so try it, it's easy to reverse). Go to your computer's control panel, click Display, then Appearances, then effects and change your screen font from "standard" to "clear type".

Click reply to discuss.
    Last edited by MSE Martin; 02-03-2005 at 6:06 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • gatita
    • By gatita 2nd Mar 05, 1:14 PM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 392 Thanks
    gatita
    • 2nd Mar 05, 1:14 PM
    • 2nd Mar 05, 1:14 PM
    Hi Martin,
    I did what you suggested but found it very 'blurry!' wonder why?
    When man sacrifices the Love of POWER for the Power of Love, there will be peace on earth.
    • NellyLock
    • By NellyLock 2nd Mar 05, 1:39 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    NellyLock
    • 2nd Mar 05, 1:39 PM
    • 2nd Mar 05, 1:39 PM
    now i believe clear type is mainly to be used with flat screen monitors...microsoft have a little walk thru application to see if clear type is for you...
    http://www.microsoft.com/typography/cleartype/tuner/1.htm

neil

*edit: you need to be using internet explorer to make this little app work
    ** No links in signatures - Edited by Abuse Controller **
    • blinky
    • By blinky 2nd Mar 05, 2:29 PM
    • 1,678 Posts
    • 2,603 Thanks
    blinky
    • 2nd Mar 05, 2:29 PM
    • 2nd Mar 05, 2:29 PM
    Even with the tuner process I find the text too blurry with Cleartype on my flat screen. I think it's really for the older LCD (pre-TFT) laptop screens.
    • happytobehere
    • By happytobehere 3rd Mar 05, 2:45 PM
    • 41 Posts
    • 50 Thanks
    happytobehere
    • 3rd Mar 05, 2:45 PM
    • 3rd Mar 05, 2:45 PM
    I tried it on my computer which is XP and a couple of years old, and I think it's great! I'm going to use it on my laptop as well. Much easier to read and a lot clearer. I think it's something to try and if you don't like it, it's easy to reverse. Any more computer tips?
    Last edited by happytobehere; 03-03-2005 at 2:48 PM.
    • RowaN
    • By RowaN 3rd Mar 05, 4:18 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    RowaN
    • 3rd Mar 05, 4:18 PM
    • 3rd Mar 05, 4:18 PM
    Blinky - it works fine on TFT screens. But it is NOT for CRT monitors (will look worse)! Cleartype is microsofts nickname for sub pixel font rendering, something introduced into Windows XP. Mac OSes have been using it since the 80's IIRC. For a tech explanation of how (and why!) sub pixel font rendering works check out http://www.grc.com/cleartype.htm
    Last edited by RowaN; 03-03-2005 at 4:51 PM.
    I hear the cry of the silence around me.
  • peter the planter
    • 3rd Mar 05, 4:36 PM
    • 3rd Mar 05, 4:36 PM
    Got no probs on my CRT screen, I think it definately looks clearer. Mind you I have just had a letter from the opticions.
    Down south where, unfortunately, the government does remember us.
  • Viz
    • 3rd Mar 05, 4:43 PM
    • 3rd Mar 05, 4:43 PM
    I have an 18 inch Dell TFT and it made it more blurry. I switched back to standard.
    Never buy a stupid dwarf -
    Its not big and its not clever.
    • RowaN
    • By RowaN 3rd Mar 05, 4:49 PM
    • 178 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    RowaN
    • 3rd Mar 05, 4:49 PM
    • 3rd Mar 05, 4:49 PM
    by defintition of this technology (see GRC link above) there is no reason why it makes sense for use on CRT screens. Yet Microsoft says "Readability on CRT screens can also be somewhat improved." but how.. I'm not sure. Looks a mess when I tried it on a CRT screen (as expected).
    I hear the cry of the silence around me.
    • NellyLock
    • By NellyLock 3rd Mar 05, 4:53 PM
    • 481 Posts
    • 147 Thanks
    NellyLock
    I have an 18 inch Dell TFT and it made it more blurry. I switched back to standard.
    by Viz
    is that the ultrasharp 1800?? if so did u use the application above...i believe dell have used "BGR ClearType configuration" which is diff to normal c/type...try the app if u didnt already if not each to their own eh?

neil
    ** No links in signatures - Edited by Abuse Controller **
  • pennyminnow
    Cleartype
    Just Changed To Clear Type As Tip Above.
    Guess I Won`t Need Those Cheap Glasses From Glassesdirect After All
    Free Tip And Saved Money
    Can`t Be Bad
  • Viz
    is that the ultrasharp 1800??
    neil
    by NellyLock
    Yes 18" Ultrasharp. Did as above and was worse.
  • ATR
    Great Word timesaver
    Martin invites our favourite tips - but where to post them?

For what it's worth this is my favourite time-saver.

If you mis-type a chunk of text in Word as upper or lower case when you wanted the other one (I do whole sentences in capitals by accident before I look up and go 'Doh!') highlight the text and press SHIFT F3. This toggles between three case-types: all upper case, all lower case and capital-letter-at-the-beginning-of-each-word.

Saves me loads of re-typing.
  • Viz
    Nice !

I always leave the caps lock on by mistake !
  • Edinburghlass
    I just tried this and it is definately clearer on my TFT BUT when emailing the font has gone a bit funny? Anyone else found this, I know my glasses need cleaned and that might help :confused:

edited to add, that I am old enough to remember that machine called a typewriter...I liken the clarity as to when you changed the ribbon
  • lipidicman
    Its good, but you can see the colours in the letters. At least I can!
  • emerydown
    Martin invites our favourite tips - but where to post them?

For what it's worth this is my favourite time-saver.

If you mis-type a chunk of text in Word as upper or lower case when you wanted the other one (I do whole sentences in capitals by accident before I look up and go 'Doh!') highlight the text and press SHIFT F3. This toggles between three case-types: all upper case, all lower case and capital-letter-at-the-beginning-of-each-word.

Saves me loads of re-typing.
    by ATR
    Good tip ATR I always leave the caps lock on as well .
    Spread your wings and take flight
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 4th Mar 05, 10:40 PM
    • 4,326 Posts
    • 2,773 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    I stumbled across this feature when I got Windows XP a couple of years ago but had forgotten all about it. I had previously used it on a 14" CRT monitor but it works better on a TFT.

Did not know about the link that NellyLock gave for fine-tuning ClearType, so here it is again for good measure:

http://www.microsoft.com/typography...ype/tuner/1.htm
  • peter the planter
    Couldn't work out why the fine tuner did not work, then I twigged that it would not work in Firefox. Wouldn't it have been funny if it had?
    Down south where, unfortunately, the government does remember us.
  • shrek101
    I bene using this for years. There is a powertoy for it so you cna tune the cleartype. It resides in the control panel

http://www.microsoft.com/typography/ClearTypePowerToy.mspx
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,151Posts Today

7,568Users online

Martin's Twitter