Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Lee
    0 WOW
    Free Portal game download, worth 17
    • 13th May 10, 12:58 PM
    0 WOW
    Free Portal game download, worth 17 13th May 10 at 12:58 PM
    What's the deal?

Software site, Valve, is giving away puzzle game Portal for free for PCs and Macs if you download it before 23 May. The game usually retails on Valve' site for 16.99, so grab it while you can!

To get the game

Simply go to download service Steam, and follow the simple instructions to get the game on your PC or MAC before 24 May.

Why's it doing this?

Canny MoneySavers below have suggested that it's because Portal 2 is due to come out very soon so it's trying to hook you in now in the hope you'll buy the new one. But it's free so don't look a gift horse in the mouth!

About the game

Game nerds at MSE Towers say this is similar to the popular Half Life series of games.

Massive game review site, Eurogamer, says:

"The portal gun is the most exciting thing to happen to FPS games since the gravity gun, and it's no surprise to discover that Valve is agonising over whether to give it to Gordon Freeman. Its function is simple: bridging gaps. But, in doing so, it alters the way in which you approach an FPS environment so radically that it's hard to think past it. Give it to Gordon, and Half-Life will never be the same. Better to keep it in the family, but away from the action. That's what Portal does, and the results are interesting."

See the full review
    Thanks to MoneySaver mihaiburea for the top spot

Don't miss another deal! Get MoneySavingExpert's Weekly Email
    It's full of new guides, tips, & loopholes; free & spam free
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 18-05-2010 at 9:30 PM.
Page 3
    • naughtybish
    • By naughtybish 23rd May 10, 10:30 AM
    • 108 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    naughtybish
    older pc ?

then try the ever popular FREE online multiplayer game "Enemy territory"
    (257Mb download )

http://returntocastlewolfenstein.filefront.com/file/Enemy_Territory;14380 (version 2.55 )

then you can update it to the latest patch ( version 2.60 )
    http://returntocastlewolfenstein.filefront.com/file/ET_Patch_Windows;39483

i am still a regular in a clan on the T2x server

http://www.gametracker.com/server_info/213.108.31.36:27010/b/

Bishmena x
    • brenda10
    • By brenda10 23rd May 10, 1:04 PM
    • 318 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    brenda10
    Impossible to download Portal, It is a joke and just not possible.
    • indelacio
    • By indelacio 23rd May 10, 1:18 PM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    indelacio
    Impossible to download Portal, It is a joke and just not possible.
    Originally posted by brenda10
    Thier servers probaby getting raped with all the free downloads lol. Was fine when I did it for my orange box and I had the entire thing downloading not just portal. and you've gotta make sure you allow access and all that

I tried looking for the code you enter in the control panel to make it very low res for those with lower spec computers but couldnt find it, could only find the ones for spawning half life 2 characters like zombines and all that, but it is out there somewhere, I saw it on youtube.
    • peat
    • By peat 23rd May 10, 2:55 PM
    • 471 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    peat
    Indelacio, if you do find the code could you please pm it to me along with idiot-proof instructions for its use as Portal is very jumpy and slow to respond on my machine.
    Cheers
    • indelacio
    • By indelacio 23rd May 10, 5:53 PM
    • 1,443 Posts
    • 1,694 Thanks
    indelacio
    I had a long look again but still couldnt find it, sorry, if I see it Ill let u know

but yeah if Id logged into steam Idve noticed theres a free trial on 2 games this weekend theres only two hours left, ones football manager, the others a game called altitude, both in your library just click download if you want to trail them.
  • geordie_lass
    If Portal is jumpy and slow to respond, try adding "32 bit" to the Steam launch options, worked for me.

Another thing to try is adding -novid to your launch options, this stops the Steam video from playing prior to the launch of the game which is when it seems to have problems.
  • Prashant
    Awh shame, I missed out

Is the Wolfenstien game posted up there the full game or just a demo?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

109Posts Today

1,266Users online

Martin's Twitter