Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 26th Apr 10, 2:53 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    May 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 26th Apr 10, 2:53 PM
    May 2010 Grocery Challenge 26th Apr 10 at 2:53 PM
    Guidelines for posting on the Grocery Challenge thread.

What is the Grocery Challenge thread?
    This is a thread where people who are taking part in the Grocery Challenge can post for help encouragement and support and talk about anything related to grocery shopping. We ask that you try to keep on topic and post things that are relevant to the challenge.

Posting grocery budgets and spends for the month
    Some people like to post their grocery budget and final spend for each month. If you wish to be included in the master list then please post these in red and in a large font as this makes it easier for the volunteers to keep a record of everyone’s totals.

Number of posts
    In order to make the thread easier to read it would be helpful if users would try not to post multiple posts in quick succession.

Chat
    Chatty posts that are relevant to the Challenge are fine. Irrelevant chat or posts simply saying ‘Good morning/Goodnight’, ‘just popping on to say hello’, ‘I’ve sent you a pm’ etc aren’t, as they clutter up the thread and may be removed to make the thread easier for others to read. Unfortunately the board guides simply don't have the time to pm users individually when posts are removed to keep the thread on topic. If your post has been removed and you are unhappy with the decision, please feel free to send us a pm.

If you want to say thanks to another user please use the thanks button and please post any chat not related to the Grocery Challenge into the Daily Thread or use the pm function.

No Spend days (NSD’s)
    A number of people like to record that they have had a no spend day. Again to reduce the number of posts we would ask that rather than post just that you had a no spend day you record it in your signature and/or add it to a post that is directly relevant to the Grocery Challenge.

Pictures
    Please keep these relevant to the challenge. While photographs of produce or cooking are great, pictures of semi-naked men or large clip art aren’t.

Bargains
    Please don’t forget to check out the Grabbit and Shop but Don’t drop boards for any bargains and the Discount Codes 'n Vouchers (online & offline) board to see if there are any current vouchers around.

Questions about recipes, freezing, techniques etc
    These don’t always fit into the Grocery Challenge. There are a number of threads where it may be more appropriate to ask questions. There is a wealth of information available on the Old Style board so please do a search to see if there is a better thread for your question. For more help with searching see here or feel free to send a private message to a board guide who will be happy to help.

Useful Links to threads on the Old Style board

Quick Questions thread

Recipe thread

Cheap recipe threads

Don't throw food away challenge...

The Complete Cooking Collection

Old Style Daily thread General chat about Old Style (new thread started daily)

Flylady thread Cleaning thread (new thread weekly)

Enough is Enough (decluttering)

Lose weight the Old Style way

Finally if you are new to Old Style and want help to find your way around, this thread may help: Welcome to Old Style and there is some excellent practical help and advice on posting on MSE chat forums in this thread: Unofficial A-Z (Look here first)
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-04-2010 at 5:30 PM.
Page 27
    • skilly
    • By skilly 18th May 10, 8:45 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    skilly
    morning all,spent£9.00 yesterday at corner shop on bread,milk,bacon and crisps. felt is would better to go there and shop because if i went to mr a's i would have spent a lot more on thing's that i did not need.
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue
  • FelineFantastic
    Morning All!

Have updated signature- did some Co-op shopping last night (they have Flora on offer and Utterly Butterly, also nice tortilla wraps and something else... minds gone blank!) and Tesco this morning for the elusive spray oil I keep forgetting to buy!! (its my age my nephew keeps telling me!!)

Am going to find something to bake now on the recipes page because you are all inspiring me- something I don't want to eat of course!

ASC- I am going to start to align my budget to beginning/ end of month- I did it before but can't remember how/when I made the switch!! I found it easier! Thanks for the support tho- I think this is indeed one of the most supportive boards ever!

The Bees- I am inspired to try the cheese sauce freezing because it will give me more quick meal options and with a milk delivery regularly I sometimes have milk to use up.

Spiggle- not just me with the toiletries stash then!! Just as I was making headway with the hundredweight of body lotions I got more for my birthday!! Mind you at least I know it will get used!

Have a fab day everyone... off to do some work before recipe perusal later!
    June Budget= £151.41/£150
    10 NSDs (with teenagers !!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!
    • OrangeFairy
    • By OrangeFairy 18th May 10, 9:23 AM
    • 2,629 Posts
    • 9,069 Thanks
    OrangeFairy
    I have £33 left of this months budget! Not doing too shabbily at all!!! i have bottled water, hand wash, milk and some veg to get and that should be it!!! Fingers crossed! My goal is £220 but my 'secret' goal is £200. I reckon we will end up being just slightly over

Really pleased with this month. We have at least 8 meals ready in the freezer for June too. Seeing as we only have 4 days eating properly at home a week that isn't bad!
    Orange Fairy
    House Purchased April 19 CC1=? CC2=? DH CC= Mortgage Overpay = £0 Savings = £0 Xmas savings = £0 Weightloss = 0 lb

• positivelypurple
    • By positivelypurple 18th May 10, 10:32 AM
    • 400 Posts
    • 3,877 Thanks
    positivelypurple
    I've been keeping a close eye on our spending this month to see if I could get away with a four week budget. It's not looking good I still have two 'shops' before the end of the month. I'll have to be very creative next week to try and use up everything in the freezer. It desparately needs defrosting anyway so perhaps shortness of money is a good reason to get it done.
    CC1 £930 CC2 £5850 Total Debt May 14 £7087.50 £6780
    NSDs October 0/20
    Weight Loss 0/10
    Pay off £3000 by 31st December 2015
    • SAHARA
    • By SAHARA 18th May 10, 10:46 AM
    • 184 Posts
    • 194 Thanks
    SAHARA
    Hello, long time lurker here, really trying to cut down the grocery spend, I'm normally ok for the first couple of weeks of the month, but about now actually, it seems to go out of the window!
    Got a budget of £160, until 5th June, and upto now, have spent £107.83. Got a freezer full of bread, which we seem to fly through, and meat etc. Despirately need to run that down as we go on holiday on 6th June and I would like to unplug the freezer and defrost it before we go. Hoping that i don't need to set foot in a shop for at least the rest of this week, but we'll see how it goes. Relying on the support of my fellow OS'ers to keep me on the straight and narrow
    • purplevamp
    • By purplevamp 18th May 10, 12:14 PM
    • 8,449 Posts
    • 402,846 Thanks
    purplevamp
    ...i have bottled water...
    Originally posted by littlekel
    Hi littlekel ~ we used to buy bottled water (6 x 2ltr) every week at least sometimes double that. We then stopped buying it and bought a filter jug. We've saved a fortune doing this, not to mention less plastic to recycle. We kept a couple of bottles to fill with filtered water and honestly we can't tell any difference and we live in an area with very hard water that sometimes tastes like TCP straight from the tap . (although they say you have to change the filters after so many litres we keep them going until we can taste that they need changing iykwim?!)

Also ~ NSD for me
    Mortgage: Was: £154,495 Oct 2039
    Now: £121,090.26 Jan 2038

Swagbucks ~ £280 (2018 ~ £350)
    Surveys ~ £215.35 (2018 ~ £287.85)
    PTC, etc ~ $119.75 ~ (2018 ~ $287.34)

“I Love You" "I Know"
    • gien
    • By gien 18th May 10, 12:28 PM
    • 1,645 Posts
    • 15,704 Thanks
    gien
    Afternoon everyone,
    I'm doing well thus far - spent another 27.80 yesterday and will need to get fruit etc. today. but I'm still well within budget, which surprised me a little bit!
    I've had sick children at home os not gone out quite so much as usual, and therefore less temptation I suppose.
    We're away this weekend, so that will be a little more expensive I think as DH usually does a little bit of shopping and he likes the extras!
    Trying to keep in budget.

• Long tall sally
    I've blown my budget. I don't know how much by at the moment cos I can't be bothered to go downstairs & get all the receipts but I do know that it is well & truly blown! Will report back later.
    Grocery aim £450pm.Spent £519 August, £584 July, £544 June, £541 May, £549 April, £517 March, £517 Feb,£555 Jan, £573 Dec, £465Nov, £561Oct, £493Sept, £426Aug,£496 Jul, £528Jun, £506May,£498April, £558 March, £500Feb, £500 Jan, £490 Dec, £555 Nov,£566 Oct, £505Sept, £450Aug, £410 July, £437 June, £491 May, £471 April, £440 March, £552Feb, £462Jan
  • poppy-glos
    mr t shop this morning, £17 to top me up, hopefully til next monday.

made a scrummy rice salad for lunch (and for part of tea), here's the recipe;

summer rice salad

boil up 3/4 of a large mug of basmati rice, drain and cool. Mix with 3 chopped spring onions, and the drained contents of a small can of mandarin orange segments. (dd likes the juice in a wine glass!) Add some ground black pepper, and a couple of dollops of mayo (nice without mayo if dieting, or with french dressing if no mayo!). Mix. serve scattered with some salted peanuts (used to mix them in but don't like how the taste/texture of the peanuts changes sitting in the 'wet' salad.

Good luck all

poppy x
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
    • Spiggle
    • By Spiggle 18th May 10, 6:46 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 14,202 Thanks
    Spiggle
    Hi all,

OK, this is the recipe I used for the malt loaf on Saturday (and yes we have sweet teeth! ).

6 oz Raisins & sultanas (chopped 2 oz dry and soaked remainder in black tea)
    10 oz SR flour
    large half teaspoon Bicarb
    3 oz demerara sugar
    180 ml milk
    1 large egg (forked/whisked a bit)
    2 tbsp Malt extract
    2 tbs Black Treacle
    1/2-1 tbsp Golden Syrup (not quite full spoon 'cos I was feeling guilty about the calories!)

Mixed the dry ingedients together in a bowl. Put milk in a saucepan to warm (not boiling just enough to melt the next things) then added malt, treacle and golden syrup. Stirred together until the gloopy things had dissolved into the milk. Added the soaked fruit to the dry ingredients in the bowl and mixed around then added the egg and mixed around a bit more. Finally added the milk and gloop mix slowly while stirring and kept mixing until satisfied all was really well distributed. Chucked it into a 2lb loaf tin and put it in my top oven at 170c for about 45 - 50 mins.

As I said before this was far more moist then the basic recipe (on front page) from my Mum's Good housekeeping book. But still not as dark as soreen, grrrr. I'm thinking next one I may drop the milk and use the tea instead as the carrier for the melt, etc. If that fails then it'll have to be gravy browning!

Welcome SAHARA and good luck with your challenge.

FelineFantastic how are you running your using up of toiletries stash? I'm still counting my dates because I haven't bought anything since February that hadn't already run out (e.g GD is particular about her toothpaste and so I use it as well instead of buying zillions of varieties some of which my OH is in the process of finishing off). And I haven't bought a single shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, bath gel, face wash, etc since Feb. As friends and family have said I could sink a battleship with the amount I have! It is going down though and I get one heck of a kick every time I finish something off.

Friend has just arrived so off to have a cuppa with her.

Take care all,
    Spigs

PS nsd today too
    Mortgage Free October 2013
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 18th May 10, 7:40 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    59p on a bag of apples at Aldi yesterday. Will need milk before the end of the week, but hopefully not much else.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
    • slowandsteady
    • By slowandsteady 18th May 10, 8:14 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 3,289 Thanks
    slowandsteady
    Hiya,

have updated signature, ended up buying more groceries today-the bacon i have been trying to remember for about a week, and some eggs from the butchers, then Mr T on some bits i forgot in town and then to Mr A later because dh is working for an agency at the moment, which was originally just for one day last friday but each day they say they want him in again tommorow, which is great, but i havent planned for his lunches. He is driving all day delivering all over the North West, so have to make sure he has plenty to keep him going, cant have him heading for the nearest motorway services and blowing cash! So went and stocked up on snacks from Mr A which we dont normally have in cos im dieting and he doesnt bother!

So altogether spent a little over £35 today. I might go over a bit this month, but thats ok because i know where the money has gone and its ok, plus had a random WTC and CTC payment so have a little spare money, must have had an underpayment or something last tax year, they havent wrote to me since i did my renewal though-very confusing system!

Only have another week left of my month, i will be doing my weekly 'proper' shop at weekend where i get my main meal stuff, so think i will be going a little over but hopefully not as bad as last month!

Night xx
    • looie
    • By looie 18th May 10, 8:56 PM
    • 701 Posts
    • 5,749 Thanks
    looie
    hi all, just popped on to update my sig. Spent £7.94 in Mr S tonight.

Not going too bad at the moment but it could be blown next week as I am off work for a week. I just hope it's not by too much
    • Winchelsea
    • By Winchelsea 18th May 10, 8:58 PM
    • 691 Posts
    • 9,316 Thanks
    Winchelsea
    Updated my sig earlier with a little £3.34 shop, but didn't deduct today's veg box (£11.65), so will do so now.

Went to Mr S. and got money back from eye drops supposedly bought on Sat (but got an empty box)!

Will put the money in my sealed pot, but not yet, as need some change tomorrow for parking (going to Stroud to meet DD3 and DGD3 - having a break while DH is looked after by Crossroads carer).
    Keeping three cats, the car and myself on a small budget, and enjoying life while we're at it!
  • Winged one
    Have made good progress in sticking to the plan this week, and using up freezer stuff. The beef pie on Monday was actually more edible than I expected, and DD wanted more of that than her own chicken nuggets. I used the whole pack of sausages last night (5 between DH and I in tom sauce with pasta, DD had a whole one beside plain pasta) and they were tasty too - whoopsied to half price; and I remembered to cook the garlic bread too (which everyone loves)!. I have a slice of lasagne for tonight, and a mini-pizza for DD, as DH is out.

Won't be at the shops again until Sat, and then it should be the butcher, F&V and local corner store rather than big supermarket.
    GC 2010 €6,000/ €5,897

GC 2011:Overall Target: €6,000/
    €5,442 by October

Back on the wagon again in 2014
    Apr €587.82/€550 May €453.31 /€550
  • Herbaholic
    Like Winged one I'm also doing well this week , changing the meal plan today, still having sausages but decided to do mash, and onion gravy with the spring cabbage and carrots we have in that need using up instead of the sausage casserole and wedges I was going to do, which is a change for me using up what we have before it goes manky and ends up in compost land! I noticed yesterday that the rhubarb plant in the garden has given us a lovely crop this year, so I'm going to pick some this afternoon and make DH a crumble for pud with it, noticed it was £2.67 in A$da yesterday for a 400g pack and something like £6.60 a kilo Didn't buy anything though just picked up the prescription as planned so another NSD yesterday 2 so far since I rejoined GC

Can I ask... Some of you have things like NSD 5/16 in your signatures, is this the number of days that you've achieved and a target number for the month or somethingh? How do you all keep track of your NSD's? I'd got back into the habit of going to the local supermarket almost daily whether we needed anything or not and I always came out of the shop with a bag full of stuff. So I want to try and achive at least 14 NSD's a month.

Also Spiddle... I have a soap, shampoo and shower gel mountain and really have to learn to say no to buying more and use up what I have, what challenge are you doing to curb your bubble buying urges?

Herby x
    NSD Challenge 2010:Jul 12/12 ; Jun 21/14 ; May : 6/6
    GC 2010: Jul £134.03/£150.00 ; Jun £278.86/£275.00 ; May £276.13/£280.00
  • FelineFantastic
    Morning All!!

Am in a v good mood as still at target weight (just) last night even after all the chocolate and mini-milks!!

Spiggle- no scientific way to beat the mountain! I go by date, amount left in previously abandoned bottle and then get two of everything out so that I can rotate and not get bored!! Biggest hurdle is the bottle of L'Ocitane shower gel that has been going strong for 8 months and still has no foreseeable end! I too only but one lot of toothpaste now- its much easier! I am actually quite pleased that I haven't been buying face stuff at the rate of knots I usually do- I am the advertisers dream audience I think!

Herbaholic- NSD's- I stick my finger in the air, guess and then try to beat the target! Having a milkman helps so that I don't buy bags of stuff when getting milk which is what used to happen!

Have library book, lunch and will sit and avoid the shops today

have a fab day everyone!
    June Budget= £151.41/£150
    10 NSDs (with teenagers !!)= 8
    Reduced my overdraft a little today- slow but sure!
  • bevan840
    Currently at £135.75/£250

Got some lamb mince from the butcher who delivers to where I work, 1kg for £4.40 Split it into 3 bags. Made a spaghetti bolognese at the weekend which was lovely. Got 2 tubs left over in the freezer. Making Shepherd pie this weekend which should mean 1 leftover meal for me in the week. Hoping to do Lasagne next weekend with the 3rd portion of mince

Last weeks shopping was rather high due to deals in A*da, 11 fusion blades for £20, checked last night and for 6 blades its £13.50! And the brita maxtra cartridges a box of 4 for £10, a box of 2 is normally around £8 so snapped them up too Came to £70 last week which is way higher than usual due to the bargains so needed to make sure this weeks was little and only spent £14.76

I don't have to buy any shower gel/bath bubbles for me for a while as I went a little bubble crazy when I worked at a Boots shop for a Christmas lol As well as John Freida shampoo lol But I don't have a shower at home so can't use that shampoo at the moment as I can't get all the soap out Hopefully moving soon where I will have a shower so I can stop buying shampoo

Got £114.25 left, should be no problems with that this month
    Jan 09. Debt @ LBM - £11936.55 Debt at worst - £12600.55 Current Debt (01/03/2012) £8,859.51 29.7% Paid off
    Honeymoon Fund £410.40/£6000 House Deposit £1.50
    Proud to be dealing with my debts. DFW Nerd 1177
    • greent
    • By greent 19th May 10, 9:57 AM
    • 8,192 Posts
    • 83,223 Thanks
    greent
    Will put the money in my sealed pot, but not yet, as need some change tomorrow for parking (going to Stroud to meet DD3 and DGD3 - having a break while DH is looked after by Crossroads carer).
    Originally posted by Winchelsea

totally non GC related - but just had to say that that's by me - I live in Quedgeley and like Stroud Farmer's Market

greent x

ETA : POst has just arrived and Mr S have sent me 2 more £8 off £40 shop vouchers - lovely, but I have to use one by month end, and the temptation when in there to spend more is too much.... Shall avoid it this week (she says!) and then next week I *should* be ok budget wise to use it if I just stick to my list this week........
    Last edited by greent; 19-05-2010 at 10:14 AM.
    I am the master of my fate; I am the captain of my soul
    Repaid mtge early (orig 11/25) 01/09 £124616 01/10 £104927 01/11 £89873 01/12 £76317 01/13 £52546 01/14 £35356 01/15 £12133 07/15 £NIL
    BTL Mtge 12/16 £69786 12/18 £54829 2019 OPs (#18) £3757/£5K
    Net sales 2019 £518.64/£500
  • Keiss 21
    Can I ask... Some of you have things like NSD 5/16 in your signatures, is this the number of days that you've achieved and a target number for the month or somethingh? How do you all keep track of your NSD's? I'd got back into the habit of going to the local supermarket almost daily whether we needed anything or not and I always came out of the shop with a bag full of stuff. So I want to try and achive at least 14 NSD's a month. Herby x
    Originally posted by Herbaholic
    Hya Herby

I post regularly on the NSD thread, where there are lots of wonder people offering loads of help and support..we are a bit loopy too, having monthly virtual "nights out"!

Spoon keeps an eye on NDSs posted, and updates the list on the front page
    daily. Personally I keep track of all my spends on a spreadsheet, including NSDs. It's nothing fancy, and I tend to tweak it every month or so. I started on 10 NSDs a few months ago and have upped my target to 15, reasoning that it is a good idea to try and not spend for half the month. Looks like I might beat this target this month, though not sure if I want to up the total for next month.

My NSDs happen when I (and DH) don't spend anything at all (excluding DD and SOs), others do it differently. It is up to you, just so long as it is a system that works for you and helps you to reduce your spending. I now try and combine spends all on one day...which works quite well, though I do have keep an eye on how much I spend!

I am hoping to make my GC target this month, but it is going to be tight! I have also dropped it down by £50 from last month. Compared to others, ours is quite a high-ish monthly GC total (including all food and household stuff), considering there are ony three of us (DH, DS2 and myself) and the dog, with the odd visit from DS1 from Uni (he tends to go to GF's though!). In my defence, DS2 is diabetic and a serious rugby player (in Scotland U-17 team this year), so there is a lot of baking and feeding going on (he eats about 5000 calories a day! ). This way I can keep the sugar and fat down, and hopefully cut costs.

Doing both the GC and NSD challenges has certainly reduced my spending, which is sooo much less than I was doing a year ago. So although we may be able to go even lower in the future, I am pretty pleased with what we are achieving at the moment.

Hope this helps, sorry for the ramble!

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

379Posts Today

4,877Users online

Martin's Twitter