Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • pollyzanna
    • By pollyzanna 12th May 10, 10:00 AM
    • 75 Posts
    • 108 Thanks
    pollyzanna
    • 12th May 10, 10:00 AM
    Help for Alzheimers sufferers
    • 12th May 10, 10:00 AM
    My mum does online banking and shopping. However, as she suffers from (early onset) Alzheimers, she is finding it increasingly difficult to remember her passwords . Often she will enter the wrong ones and then need to reset her password and they won't allow one that she has used before. She does keep a coded list but forgets to update it .
    The banks are often quite unhelpful and unsympathetic .
    This is surely going to become a more common problem as the older generations become more computer literate?
    Are there any specific strategies that can be used? Or is it a case of educating the banks/supermarkets etc?
  • MisterMick
    • 12th May 10, 10:16 AM
    Memory Aid
    • 12th May 10, 10:16 AM
    What about getting hold of an old mobile phone that she can switch on when needed, numbers / names can be disguised as family contacts as well having genuine numbers listed should it fall in the hands of thieves or lost.
    MisterMick
  • bayernq
    • 12th May 10, 11:27 AM
    • 12th May 10, 11:27 AM
    I am a single father to children aged 10 and 11. It's bad enough that prices go up during the school holidays but what is even more frustrating is having to pay a supplement on ANY holiday booking.
    Does anybody know of any reasonable holiday firms that don't charge this rediculous fee?
  • jhnalford
    • 12th May 10, 12:51 PM
    Here you go - at least for Europe
    • 12th May 10, 12:51 PM
    I've always used this one for ferries in europe, aferry.com

We have flight comparison sites but getting ferry prices is extremely time intensive, any ideas?
    Originally posted by kegless.co.uk
  • Songe
    • 12th May 10, 6:04 PM
    Forgetting passwords
    • 12th May 10, 6:04 PM
    I uise password safe, it's free, download off the internet. You only enter one password and can store all of your passwords and details etc in an encrypted database.

Also some online banks, e.g. first direct offer an online service where you can control all of your accounts - they don't have to be first direct accounts in one place.
  • old-fashioned
    • 12th May 10, 9:27 PM
    Caring For Carers
    • 12th May 10, 9:27 PM
    Many people are left caring for an older,younger or handicapped mamber of thier family.
    Many of these carers hold down part-time jobs, or no no jobs in order to look after a relative.
    there is some official support out there but no one will advise carers on what they are entitled to claim for except carers allowance.
    And are left to struggle on thier own
    Is ther any advice?
  • roddycam
    • 12th May 10, 9:29 PM
    Best Companies
    • 12th May 10, 9:29 PM
    I would like to see people nominating companies who give good service and value for money. I know it's subjective and a bit hit-and-miss, but people can always add an opposing point of view.

For what it's worth, I nominate Cotton Traders for value and quick delivery, Morrisons as the best supermarket and my local newsagents, Browns in Kelso!
    • Smartie24
    • By Smartie24 12th May 10, 10:51 PM
    • 14 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    Smartie24
    • 12th May 10, 10:51 PM
    • 12th May 10, 10:51 PM
    How about tips for saving money on diy?
    Maybe that's a bit too general, but I've spent a year doing up my house (tiling, plastering, woodwork, new windows, kitchen, bathroom) and have learnt things the hard way, picking up a few tips as I've gone along but lots I wish I'd known before I started. e.g. cheaper products which are just as good as expensive ones (and when not to buy cheapest!), best diy store reward cards, things you can do yourself instead of paying a tradesman etc etc
  • Okeydokey
    Stationery and computer consumables
    How to save money on stationery and computer consumables would be really helpful. For example, some things in Poundland are great value (envelopes, sticky tape), but others are a waste of time (CDRW, pencils), or where to get the cheapest inkjet cartridges etc.
  • HazardousWaster
    With the World Cup coming it would be great to know if there any any places doing deals on all the England gear!
    • airgead
    • By airgead 14th May 10, 8:46 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    airgead
    Care, capacity, wills and inheritance
    Not everyone's favourite topics for discussion, but it affects us all and there must be a wealth of experience and advice out there. e.g. Consumer rights as a user of residential care, how to find a good care home, how funding works, how to complain/appeal. Who looks after you financial affairs if you lose mental capacity? etc.
    • airgead
    • By airgead 14th May 10, 9:04 PM
    • 34 Posts
    • 138 Thanks
    airgead
    How about tips for saving money on diy?
    Maybe that's a bit too general, but I've spent a year doing up my house (tiling, plastering, woodwork, new windows, kitchen, bathroom) and have learnt things the hard way, picking up a few tips as I've gone along but lots I wish I'd known before I started. e.g. cheaper products which are just as good as expensive ones (and when not to buy cheapest!), best diy store reward cards, things you can do yourself instead of paying a tradesman etc etc
    Originally posted by Smartie24
    We've just self-built a house and similrily have learned a lot - so we would agree this is a great suggestion for a great hunt!
    • kittykitten
    • By kittykitten 15th May 10, 4:23 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 1,018 Thanks
    kittykitten
    I like the DIY suggestion. As more people are turning to DIY trying to do things cheaper in the current financial climate, the knwledge of good DIY bargains, and places to look, would surely benefit a large number of MSE users?
    • irishwench69
    • By irishwench69 16th May 10, 9:59 PM
    • 794 Posts
    • 5,634 Thanks
    irishwench69
    Also agree the DIY one would be great and useful - or a gardening one - lots of people (including me ) redoing the garden at the minute (am sure the topics could be linked anyway.....)

IW x
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 222
    Debt free wannabe - Proud to be dealing with my debts!

Remember the MoneySaving mantras!

IF YOU'RE SKINT......
    Do I need it? Can I afford it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?

IF YOU'RE NOT SKINT......
    Will I use it? Is it worth it? Can I find it cheaper anywhere else?
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 18th May 10, 7:20 AM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,854 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    A couple of thoughts:

More student moneysaving tips; after my rent is paid on the cheapest halls in my city, I'll have around 700 for the YEAR for my food, books and the software I have to have for this course (it's a technical course)...any ways to save money would be appreciated, having already looked at the Grant Grabber section and also applied to various charitable trusts.

Also, the issue of booking fees on concert tickets; other than going to the box office in person which isn't always practical, the fees are excessive.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • Victoria Meldrew
    • By Victoria Meldrew 29th May 10, 3:58 PM
    • 769 Posts
    • 1,930 Thanks
    Victoria Meldrew
    Dental charges
    Not sure this is the place but I think it's time dental charges were reviewed and standardised. Many people (myself included) feel they have been ripped off by their dentist eg. they say you need to visit the hygienist but conveniently after the two months which would have included the cost with your check up, thereby charging you twice.
    It's 5 o'clock somewhere!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,668Posts Today

9,756Users online

Martin's Twitter