Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 28th Feb 05, 4:18 PM
    • 9,818Posts
    • 24,069Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    drinks
    • 28th Feb 05, 4:18 PM
    drinks 28th Feb 05 at 4:18 PM
    ok, a multi-pronged attack here

a) not being a tea/coffee drinker, i tend to stick to squash, water, flavoured water,milk,or hot chocolate on occasions. im not really big on pop, will only drink it if im realy in the mood.

was just wondering if you had any ideas as to how i could make my fluid intake more exciting (im not drinking enough *giggle*). i do sometimes add carbonated water to squash to give it a bit of fizz, but not all that often as tap water is cheaper still!!!!!!!

alsoooooo

does anyone have any ideas how i could go about making my own flaoured water? infusion i believe would be the term?

how about a recipe for homemade lemonade? anyone?

thankies!
    know thyself

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
Page 1
    • vanoonoo
    • By vanoonoo 28th Feb 05, 4:33 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    vanoonoo
    • 28th Feb 05, 4:33 PM
    • 28th Feb 05, 4:33 PM
    really quick one cos I am off out to slimming world - but in the summer I made some infused water for mum with those herbal tea bags - the berry fruity type ones turned out the best

super delicious - dunno if the herbal healing qualities remain but they tasted good and were better than plain water and hospital water which she hated
    Blah
    • elona
    • By elona 28th Feb 05, 4:35 PM
    • 11,149 Posts
    • 63,451 Thanks
    elona
    • 28th Feb 05, 4:35 PM
    • 28th Feb 05, 4:35 PM
    You could also try peppermint tea bags with a little sweetener in it .
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • fazer6
    • 1st Mar 05, 9:14 AM
    • 1st Mar 05, 9:14 AM
    I have a fruit tea each day to increasy my fluid intake too, add a teaspoon of sugar or sweetener and it'll taste like hot vimto. If you don't know what you'd like get the typho berry collection so you can try a few. Personally I like the cherry ones the best.
  • Lillibet
    • 1st Mar 05, 9:47 AM
    • 1st Mar 05, 9:47 AM
    I make lemonade using fresh lemon juice to taste, lemon rind, light sugar or sweetner & boiling water, stir well & allow to sit until well & truly cooled then strain to get the rind out & chill really well. Can add a tiny bit of mint to make a change if you like.

Hot water & a slice of lemon is very refreshing first thing in the morning & good for your liver!

Chilled tap water with fruity ice cubes : try freezing just one or 2 raspberries/blackberries in each ice cube! This works very well with tinned fruit too.
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    • Spendless
    • By Spendless 1st Mar 05, 10:26 AM
    • 20,530 Posts
    • 34,248 Thanks
    Spendless
    • 1st Mar 05, 10:26 AM
    • 1st Mar 05, 10:26 AM

Hot water & a slice of lemon is very refreshing first thing in the morning & good for your liver!

Chilled tap water with fruity ice cubes : try freezing just one or 2 raspberries/blackberries in each ice cube! This works very well with tinned fruit too.
    by Lillibet
    I did this the other day to encourage the kids to drink water at the dinner table. They were quite excited - husband said "do you mind if i drink pop?"!!!!!!

He got hissed at very loudly "yes i do mind"!!!!
  • mink35
    • 1st Mar 05, 10:35 AM
    • 1st Mar 05, 10:35 AM
    I did this the other day to encourage the kids to drink water at the dinner table. They were quite excited - husband said "do you mind if i drink pop?"!!!!!!

He got hissed at very loudly "yes i do mind"!!!!
    by Spendless

LMAO Spendless! You just can't get the support you need nowadays can you!!!
    Mink
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 1st Mar 05, 12:19 PM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    • 1st Mar 05, 12:19 PM
    • 1st Mar 05, 12:19 PM
    re: drinking more.

I find that I drink more if I carry a bottle of water around with me. I buy one every now and againa dn just keep refilling it from the tap. I have one on my desk at work, which remind me to drink whenever I look at it.

mind you - I don't ever think that I could drink the 2 litres a day that is recommended. I would forever be in the bathroom!
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
  • fazer6
    • 1st Mar 05, 1:01 PM
    • 1st Mar 05, 1:01 PM
    I work at one end of a corridor and the loo is at the other end. I'd like to drink more water but I just wouldn't be bothered with going to the loo all the time either.
  • halloweenqueen
    Theres a lemonade in my mixer book, you need to use a liquidiser (try and get lemons at tesco in the evening, they have them reduced so often i haven't bought full priced ones for ages!)
    Cut I washed thin skinned lemon in half and place in the liquidiser, with 2 tbsp sugar, 6 large ice cubes, I pint of chilled water and 1 whole egg - complete with shell (shudder!). blend at max for 10-20 seconds.
    Strain through a sieve into a jug and serve with extra ice cubes and lemon slices (and maybe the hint of salmonella ).
  • halloweenqueen
    Citrus presse

1 orange
    1 lemon
    1 lime
    1 grapefruit.
    6 oz sugar
    1 1/2 pints boiling water

Halve all the fruits and extract the juice, pour into large heatproof jug and stir in the sugar, add boiling water and stir well. Cover and laeve to cool then chill for 1-2 hours. Add a ew lemon slices and ice cubes just before serving.
    • Debt_Free_Chick
    • By Debt_Free_Chick 1st Mar 05, 1:23 PM
    • 13,149 Posts
    • 9,492 Thanks
    Debt_Free_Chick
    We find that iced herb tea is good, especially the fruit ones

Also, we can't take "full strength" fruit juice so mix it 50:50 with tap water.
  • halloweenqueen
    Fizzy lemonade (you may want to play about with the amount of sugar in some of these!

4 lemons halved
    8 oz sugar
    chilled sparkling mineral water toserve.
    Extract the juice from the lemon halves, puor into a small saucepan add the sugar and heat gently, stirring continuously until sugar has dissolved, transfer to a jug cover and leave to cool.
    To serve pour a little of the concentrate into a glass and top up with the water.
  • fazer6
    What about making your own ginger beer?

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=16725&highlight=ginger+beer

Apparantly you can make 8 pints for less than 75p. Has anyone actually tried this?
    • pavlovs_dog
    • By pavlovs_dog 2nd Mar 05, 11:26 PM
    • 9,818 Posts
    • 24,069 Thanks
    pavlovs_dog
    never tried ginger beer, so i be dubious about making it 'less i knew i'd like the fruits of my labour.

think the fruit in ice cubes is a good idea, will give that a try.

as for this fruit tea business....i'm trying to not let myself be scared off by the word 'tea', and i will at least try them now whereas before i just turned my nose up !!! of the ones i have tried, i havent been all that impressed, between the taste and the smell etc. jasmine tea, for example was far from a hit, and im having enough sleep problems as it is so wouldnt dream of going near camomile (the stories i've heard !!!!)

there are whittards in home and uni town, so i do take the opportunity to taste whatever wares are available to sample at that moment. again, that can be very hit and miss (often made up too weak or too strong), but i tried a malibu inspired one which was tolerable (ahhh the eternal alcoholic in me lives on !!!) and an orange one which was drinkable. its not a route i would choose to go down of first choice, but dehydration IS causing problems by affecting my energy and concentration levels, so it IS an issue that i need to look into seriously.
    Last edited by pavlovs_dog; 02-03-2005 at 11:28 PM. Reason: god what is with my spelling tonight?!!!
    know thyself

Nid wy'n gofyn bywyd moethus...
    • tiff
    • By tiff 3rd Mar 05, 7:04 AM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    I decided to give up on buying squash the other day due to the bad stuff thats in it, I managed to get my kids all excited about having slices of lemon or lime in their glass of water (from the water filter). They loved it, if you leave the slices to stand for a while in the water it tastes better. Will also freeze some slices so we can just put them in frozen.
    A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,332Posts Today

5,580Users online

Martin's Twitter