Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • crana999
    • By crana999 27th Feb 05, 9:55 PM
    • 572Posts
    • 270Thanks
    crana999
    Cous cous
    • 27th Feb 05, 9:55 PM
    Cous cous 27th Feb 05 at 9:55 PM
    Has anyone got any good recipes for cous cous? I do like the flavoured ones you can get in packets, but I haven't had them for ages.. and it's probably quite a lot cheaper to make your own?
Page 1
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 27th Feb 05, 10:28 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    • 27th Feb 05, 10:28 PM
    • 27th Feb 05, 10:28 PM
    I use boiling water flavoured with a a stock cube to cook the cous-cous. Then stir in mint sauce (amount depends on your taste). Serve with lamb cutlets and oven roasted vegetables (courgettes, peppers, mushrooms and garlic drizzled with olive oil).

If your doing it for a special occasion.......mould cous-cous into a mound in the middle of the plate (I use a sugar bowl for this) and alternate three lamb cutlets leaning on the mound with small piles of roasted veg.

Hope this makes sense.

Pink
    • crana999
    • By crana999 27th Feb 05, 10:32 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 270 Thanks
    crana999
    • 27th Feb 05, 10:32 PM
    • 27th Feb 05, 10:32 PM
    That sounds nice. Won't be cooking that exact meal any time soon, as I don't eat meat and don't have an oven.. which is a shame because oven roasted veg would be lovely with it. I wonder what else would be good with it? Maybe a vegetable tagine type thing? I can't fry anything either and I don't have a grill, so I can't do any kind of veggie burger type things..
    • vanoonoo
    • By vanoonoo 28th Feb 05, 1:06 AM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    vanoonoo
    • 28th Feb 05, 1:06 AM
    • 28th Feb 05, 1:06 AM
    cous cous and chickpeas is a good combo - and you could microwave things like peppers or courgettes to soften them, mmmm. making me hungry thinking about it

yum.
    Blah
  • happy-L
    • 28th Feb 05, 1:02 PM
    • 28th Feb 05, 1:02 PM
    there is a nice recipe on one of the feta cheese bottles you buy in the shops
    stay lucky!
    Steve.
  • sonic
    • 28th Feb 05, 1:11 PM
    • 28th Feb 05, 1:11 PM
    there is a nice recipe on one of the feta cheese bottles you buy in the shops
    by happy-L
    Cheese in a bottle?? That just sounds wrong!
  • Bordera
    • 28th Feb 05, 1:17 PM
    • 28th Feb 05, 1:17 PM
    Try chopping some veg, corgette mushroons, brocolli, anything really, melt a little oil or butter in the heaviest pan you have, add the veg and cook to your taste.
    Make the cous cous separately according to the directions, but use veg stock for the liquid.
    Quick, easy, and very yum. Experiment to get the flabvours you prefer.
  • maggie1976
    • 28th Feb 05, 1:33 PM
    • 28th Feb 05, 1:33 PM
    Ooh I love cous cous! There are lots of things you can do to jazz it up. If you use the same ratio of cous cous to water that you find on the packets of the pre-flavoured stuff then you end up with the right consistency.

I use any mixture of the following:

chopped spring onions
    toasted pine nuts
    cumin powder (or crushed cumin seeds)
    saffron strands (pricey though )
    lemon juice (lots of!)

Roasted veggies are very nice with it, if you have a gas hob you can 'roast' peppers in the flame if you hold them with some BBQ tongs or similar. Bung the pepper in a plastic bag for 10 minutes then you can peel off the charred skin and voila!

Or, you could serve it with ratatouille which would be delish!

Cor, I'm hungry now

Maggie.
    Last edited by maggie1976; 28-02-2005 at 1:35 PM.
  • Lillibet
    • 28th Feb 05, 1:50 PM
    • 28th Feb 05, 1:50 PM
    I like lemon cous cous (flavour with juice & rind of a lemon) with fish, throw in a handful of sulatanas if you are feeling adventuerous. Especially good with grilled salmon, steamed cod. grilled fresh sardines, grilled mackerel or steamed trout.
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    • billieboy
    • By billieboy 28th Feb 05, 2:10 PM
    • 1,358 Posts
    • 2,496 Thanks
    billieboy
    Soak 8oz couscous in 14 fl oz boiling water mixed with a teaspoon of vegetable stock powder. Cover with cling film for just four minutes.

Chop 6oz mushrooms and half a bunch of spring onions, halve 250g cherry toms (sorry to mix imperial with metric but doing this off the top of my head). When couscous has finished soaking fluff up with a fork and stir in 1-2 tabs olive oil and 2-3 tabs pesto. Mix in veg and add a handful of pine nuts toasted or not. I prefer it cold but you can eat it warm. Delicious with fish! Yum yum.
    • Trow
    • By Trow 28th Feb 05, 2:19 PM
    • 2,263 Posts
    • 2,597 Thanks
    Trow
    yes, I go with the chickpeas suggestion - make a chickpea stew moroccan style - whith whatever veg and tinned tomatoes and cumin and a little nutmeg. Some creamed co!!!! for a luxrious touch. Yum!
  • Noozan
    I always freeze meat bones and make my own stock when I have enough; roasting the bones first gives a more intense flavour.

Anyway, sweat finely diced onion, carrot, clery and garlic for a few minutes. Add stock and simmer until veg is soft. Take off heat and add cous cous. When it's absorbed the stock, I use it to fill pepper halves (leave stalks on to hold them together) or large field mushrooms (stalks removed; you can dice these and put them in cous cous too), put a piece of mozarella on top. Place in dish with about 1/2 cm of hot water and bake at gas mark hot for 20 to 25 mins. Nice as a light lunch with green salad or garnished with a juicy steak!
    I have the mind of a criminal genius. I keep it in the freezer next to Mother....
  • freyaluck
    what can i do with cous cous
    We are having a family day out tomorrow and need to take a packed lunch to a local arboretum.
    I have a big bag of cous cous that I would like to use, but the dish needs to be virtually fat free (at slimming world) and child friendly, any one got any ideas. I don't really want to use meat, but fish would be good.

Any ideas?
    cheers in advance guys
    Saving for the future of the earth
  • MORPH3US
    Stuffed peppers, cook the cous cous, hollow out the peppers and then fill with cous cous, oven for about 10 minutes!

Will work better if its flavoured cous cous though!
    • Rikki
    • By Rikki 14th Oct 05, 3:21 PM
    • 20,648 Posts
    • 21,773 Thanks
    Rikki
    You can buy couscous seasoning which you mix in before you add the water. It just gives the couscous some flavour otherwise it could be quite bland.
    Couscous can be cooked and then mixed with chopped apple and sultanas and mixed with curry powder, much the same as you would a rice salad.
    • scotgirl
    • By scotgirl 14th Oct 05, 3:22 PM
    • 802 Posts
    • 307 Thanks
    scotgirl
    I think cous cous is nicest in a Moroccan style.

I like it with garlic, red and yellow peppers, onion, sultanas, paprika, cinnamon, ground ginger and tumeric all fried up in a bit of olive oil (or fry light for Slimming world!) and then bung in some tomatoes and mix it with the cous cous. Normally I would serve it with lamb, but it can be a veggie dish too.

Hope you enjoy!
    The Best Things in Life Are Free
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 14th Oct 05, 3:33 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    I love couscous with oven roasted vegetables. You could probably use any combination, but these are the ones that I like.

Roast mushrooms, courgettes, red and green peppers, red onion, cherry tomatoes and sliced garlic in a very hight heat in the oven drizzled with a little olive oil.

Make couscous up using a stock cube.

Add the roasted vegetables and some black pepper.

Pink
    Last edited by Pink.; 19-05-2006 at 11:07 PM.
    • misty
    • By misty 14th Oct 05, 4:56 PM
    • 1,031 Posts
    • 700 Thanks
    misty
    I love couscous with oven roasted vegetables. You could probably use any combination, but these are the ones that I like.

Roast mushrooms, courgettes, red and green peppers, red onion, cherry tomatoes and garlic in the sliced and on a very hight heat in the oven drizzled with a little olive oil.

Make couscous up using a stock cube.

Add the roasted vegetables and some black pepper.

Pink
    by Pink-winged
    That sounds nice. Whenever I make couscous it tastes like grit or what I imagine grit would tastle like if I ever tried it. I've tried lots of different types of couscous and followed the instructions and advice from friends but all I get it is grit.
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 14th Oct 05, 5:51 PM
    • 17,431 Posts
    • 40,365 Thanks
    Pink.
    Misty,

Are you adding enough liquid? Sometimes I find it takes more than it says on the packet instructions. Don't forget to keep fluffing it all up with a fork while its absorbing the liquid.

Pink
    • Curry Queen
    • By Curry Queen 14th Oct 05, 5:58 PM
    • 5,482 Posts
    • 3,081 Thanks
    Curry Queen
    I always add double quantity of boiling water to cous cous and then pop a plate or something over the bowl to cover it so it steams itself for 5-10 mins too. Quick fluff up with a fork and add whatever spices, veggies etc you want to use and it's done!

I put all sorts in mine, depending what I'm having with it. Sometimes have it cold with chopped red onions, tomatoes, pine nuts etc or hot with spices and chick peas or just lemon and parsley. Have it with stews, roast veggies, salads, on it's own!

There's no end of things you can do with cous cous and you're only limited by your imagination
    "An Ye Harm None, Do What Ye Will"
    ~
    It is that what you do, good or bad,
    will come back to you three times as strong!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,699Posts Today

6,460Users online

Martin's Twitter