Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 4th May 10, 4:41 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Energy prices - should you fix?
    • 4th May 10, 4:41 PM
    MSE News: Energy prices - should you fix? 4th May 10 at 4:41 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"After the cheapest deal was pulled last week amid rising wholesale costs, some experts think you should play safe ..."

Read the full story:

Energy prices: should you fix?

Page 1
    • Joyful
    • By Joyful 4th May 10, 5:10 PM
    • 2,276 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    Joyful
    • 4th May 10, 5:10 PM
    • 4th May 10, 5:10 PM
    I think it depends on whether you want stability or you can play the market. I personally have gone for BG's Websaver 7 having just come off a 5 year deal. I think the prices will still go up in the long term but am happy to pay an exit fee if things change drastically before the end of it. This way I can monitor on the web and news and make an informed decision.

The people I feel for are those who just plod along paying a standard tariff.
    ****Released the reins and am now Self employed****
    • blindmouse
    • By blindmouse 4th May 10, 5:14 PM
    • 138 Posts
    • 278 Thanks
    blindmouse
    • 4th May 10, 5:14 PM
    • 4th May 10, 5:14 PM
    I have decided to switch companies and go onto a standard tariff. I have no idea if its fixed, I think not.

I found the whole thing a nightmare and despite endless calls and trust me I spent hours on this, calling energyhelpline (who were so helpful) but still couldn't seem to tell me just what was my best option. My fixed plan EON came to an end and they offered me a new deal, when I checked online I could have got it cheaper with a different plan which they didn't offer me.... (Apparently they have to only offer the equivalent deal) I just came to the conclusion its all still designed to confuse us and switched. I still think I could have done better if I had a degree in pure maths but hey ho..........

Martin I would love to hear your thoughts........
  • pandora_ann
    • 23rd Jun 10, 6:50 AM
    • 23rd Jun 10, 6:50 AM
    Having just moved into a new flat I decided to switch to EDF, who were the cheapest option for me when I moved two months ago. As the previous tenants had prepayment meters it's taken until now to have them replaced with normal meters. At present I'm not on any of the plans, just a standard tariff, but obviously I need to switch to one of their other tariffs asap. As I've just joined EDF and they've just changed my meters I'm assuming I'll be tied into some sort of contract already?

My question really is should I switch to the cheapest capped plan with EDF which, at present, is estimated to cost me approximately 130 more per year than their cheapest variable plan? I'm assuming that this doesn't take into account the planned price rises. I'm a single person in a small one bedroom flat who works full time so I'm a low energy consumer at home. Does this make a difference?

I'd be very grateful for any opinions.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

125Posts Today

1,749Users online

Martin's Twitter