Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Juicy_Tube
    Savoury nibbles!
    • 26th Feb 05, 8:23 PM
    Savoury nibbles! 26th Feb 05 at 8:23 PM
    A fave of mine!

Grate approx 250g of parmesan, mix with 2 rosemary sticks(remove leaves and finely chop).

Line baking sheet with paper and place teaspoons of mixture, allowing space for spreading, flatten a little with spoon. Bake for 8-10 mins at 180 til golden, allow to cool, then remove from baking paper. Always line baking sheet with paper so they don't stick!

Can keep for 2 days in airtight container in fridge.

Do you have any other easy-peasy snacks or nibbles?

JT x
    It's great in here!
Page 1
  • Juicy_Tube
    • 26th Feb 05, 9:04 PM
    • 26th Feb 05, 9:04 PM
    Use small bread sticks. Brush end with a little olive oil, wrap a couple of basil leaves around it, wrap with parma ham. Make loads, they go down extremely well!!

JT x
    It's great in here!
    • hilstep2000
    • By hilstep2000 27th Feb 05, 5:52 PM
    • 3,035 Posts
    • 17,709 Thanks
    hilstep2000
    • 27th Feb 05, 5:52 PM
    • 27th Feb 05, 5:52 PM
    Believe it or not, deep fried potato peelings! My kids luv em!
    I Believe in saving money!!!
    A Bargain is only a bargain if you need it!

• tiff
    • By tiff 27th Feb 05, 10:13 PM
    • 6,551 Posts
    • 8,597 Thanks
    tiff
    • 27th Feb 05, 10:13 PM
    • 27th Feb 05, 10:13 PM
    This is a tip from when I went to Slimming World.

Drain a can of chick peas and put them on a tray in the oven for a while. They taste just like nuts but without the calories
    A budget is telling your money where to go instead of wondering where it went. - Dave Ramsey
    • elona
    • By elona 28th Feb 05, 8:02 AM
    • 11,149 Posts
    • 63,451 Thanks
    elona
    • 28th Feb 05, 8:02 AM
    • 28th Feb 05, 8:02 AM
    I have a tip from Slimming World as well

Get some sheets of lasagne and put in boiling water till soft - then drain - cut into squares or triangles- put on baking tray pre squirted with fry lite spray- put salt or pepper or curry powder etc on top- then bake in oven till golden.

Taste like crisps and no sins on a green day . You feel as if you are being really wicked.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • MonkeyGirl
    • 29th Nov 05, 9:43 PM
    Party snacks / nibbles
    • 29th Nov 05, 9:43 PM
    Not sure if this has been posted before. But does anyone have any quick and easy recipes for this kinda thing? I have too many allergies so thought I would make my own stuff this year. Hear are a few recipes I have made which went down really well.

Cheese Straws

Metric Ingredients Imperial
    100g plain wholemeal flour 4oz
    pinch salt and pepper pinch
    1 egg 1
    50g butter 2oz
    2tbsp water 2tbsp
    50g grated cheese 2oz

1. Add salt and pepper to flour and blend in butter and grated cheese with a fork to reach breadcrumb consistency.
    2. Separate egg and use yolk to bind dough with water as required.
    3. Roll out pastry and cut into straws. Brush with egg white and bake for 15 minutes on a greased baking tray in an oven preheated to 180C/350F/Gas Mk4.

Onion Bhajis

Ingredients

100g / 4oz Chick-Pea Flour or Gram Flour * I used normal flour*
    1/4 teasp Chilli Powder
    1/2 teasp Turmeric
    1/2 teasp Baking Powder
    Salt
    1/2 teasp Ground Cumin *didn't have any*
    1 Large Onion, halved and thinly sliced
    1 Green Chilli, deseeded and finely chopped *didnt have any*
    25g / 1oz finely chopped Fresh Coriander
    Cold water to mix
    Vegetable oil for deep frying

Method
    Sift the flour, chilli, turmeric, cumin, baking powder and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add the chopped coriander, onions and chillis and mix well.
    Preheat the deep fat fryer to 180C / 350F.
    Gradually add enough water to the flour mixture to form a thick batter mixing very well so the onions are well coated.
    Very carefully drop spoonfuls of the mixture into the hot oil and fry until keep warm whilst you cook the remaining bhajis.
    Drain well on kitchen paper and serve very hot.
    Makes 10 -12

SAMOSAS

1 tbsp. oil
    1 clove garlic, crushed
    6 oz. minced lamb * I used beef*
    1 potato, grated
    2 oz. peas
    1/4 tsp. turmeric
    Salt and freshly ground pepper
    Oil for deep frying

PASTRY:

8 oz. plain flour
    1/2 tsp. salt
    4 oz. butter
    4 1/2 tbsp. milk

Heat oil in a frying pan. Saute garlic and lamb until browned. Stir in potato, peas, turmeric, and cook, stirring to prevent the mixture from sticking for about 5 minutes. Season and leave to cool.
    Make pastry. Sift flour and salt into a bowl, rub in butter until mixture resembles bread crumbs. Mix in milk to make tacky dough. Flour hands, break off pieces of dough, size of a walnut. Roll out on well-floured board to make thin circle.

In center of each circle, place a good teaspoon of filling. Dampen edges, fold over to make triangular patty. Deep fry a few at a time until golden brown. Makes 25.

Hope these are of some help to people.

MonkeyGirl
  • chardonnay
    • 29th Nov 05, 10:52 PM
    • 29th Nov 05, 10:52 PM
    i had thought about starting a thread similar to this. the shops are full of party food which i'm sure could be done for much less at home. it would be great if someone with the knowhow could tell us how to make this stuff. pre oldstyle i would have just bought it, now i look at it and think bet you could make that much cheaper (if someone told me how) lol!

sort of things i've seen them selling is mini sausage rolls, mini toad in the hole, mini pizzas, mini quiches, vol a vents, chicken kebabs, chicken pakora, chicken spring rolls etc
  • jcr16
    • 30th Nov 05, 1:37 PM
    • 30th Nov 05, 1:37 PM
    i make my own sausage rolls and they are devine. i buy puff pasty ( i just can't make it) and roll it out. then skin about 8 sausages and roll them to make then thinner, then wrap the pastry around them , just enough so the pasty meets up, brush on a battered egg , and sprinkle grated cheese on , then i put them in oven gas mark 6 i think for about 20 min. but just check them. as my oven sometimes takes 10 mins but on other occasions takes 20.

sorry if i haven't written this very well. but i find describing how to do something very difficult. i wouldn't say making your own are cheaper but they certainly taste better.
    i find u need a proper sausage to do this , like butcher own or somthing. i buy a pack or 6 from safeways and i think they 1.99 . but they are just gorgeous.
    Very proud mummy to 4 wonderful children aged 8,7 and 4 and 1 months. And our beautiful little angel in heaven she will never be forgotten .My children and Husband are my world.I'm a sahm and enjoying every minute to the full even if sometimes it can seem a bit tough x
    • elona
    • By elona 30th Nov 05, 1:54 PM
    • 11,149 Posts
    • 63,451 Thanks
    elona
    • 30th Nov 05, 1:54 PM
    • 30th Nov 05, 1:54 PM
    I make my own pizza but even buying a shop pizza and using cutters to make loads of mini pizzas should be cheaper.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
  • tootles
    Get some smoked salmon bits, Take them out of the wrapping and squeeze a lemon over, put in the fridge for 30 minutes to 'cook' in the lemon juice. Cut the crust off slices of bread, spread with butter, put the bits of salmon on the bread and roll up overwrap in foil and put into the fridge until just before you want to serve them, unwrap and slice through to make wheels........salmon pinwheels.

Cook cocktail sausages in the oven, when they are cooked drizzle with honey and sprinkle with seseme seeds, then spear on cocktail sticks, if you cannot pake pizza get a couple of good quaility ones, square off when they are cooked and cut into pizza fingers, the kids will eat the bits........

Mash up tuna with a tablespoon of mayo and spread on slices of toast then cut into triangles and cut the triangles into halves, mini tuna toasts.....
    • squeaky
    • By squeaky 30th Nov 05, 2:19 PM
    • 13,808 Posts
    • 15,843 Thanks
    squeaky
    There loads of threads on pizzas including making them with scone bases instead of yeast and dough - so they're really simple.

A search on pizza comes up with quite a lot of threads but the main ones are these:-

Can I make pizza without yeast
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=93980

How do I make pizza?
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=93687

HM pasta sauces and pizza dough
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=79095

Hm pizzas
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=98756

Pizza question
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=78335

Quickest pizza ever!
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=57341

Hi, I'm a Board Guide on the Old Style and the Consumer Rights boards which means I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly and can move and merge posts there. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. It is not part of my role to deal with reportable posts. Any views are mine and are not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence.
    DTFAC: Y.T.D = 5.20 Apr 0.50
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 30th Nov 05, 6:44 PM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    mix a little cointreau (or any other liqueur) into mascapone and stuff fresh dates with it. Top with slices of apricot or a quarter of a walnut.
    Lovely!
    • foreverskint
    • By foreverskint 30th Nov 05, 9:37 PM
    • 1,003 Posts
    • 919 Thanks
    foreverskint
    here are a couple of things I do

Thinly slice some fench bread slightly on the diagonal into lots of slices.
    Drizzle with some olive oil and cook at about 180oC until lightly toasted. whilst still hot rub with a cut side of a garlic clove.
    Top with chopped tomatoes, muixed with chopped onions and basil and a thin slice of mozzarella, topp with a basil leaf for garnish.
    Or top with some pesto and mozzarella and return to the oven briefly to heat and elt the mozzarella.

toss some Partysize chipolata sausages in honey and wholegrain mustard to lightly coat and cook in the oven until cooked through, go retro and serve with cocktails sticks!
  • julybride
    a few other ideas
    Pitta bread toasted adn cut into fingers served with home made...
    Dahl, Hummous, dip etc

My favourite dip Dip - cayene peper with natural yoghurt or red pesto if you aren't keen on spicy. (add creme fresche if you like it thick)

or sour cream and add your own finely chopped spring onions or chives!!! so much cheaper than the shop bought ones.

Also Dark german bread is fabulous topped with a little bit of smoked salmon pate cut into small square they make fabulous Canapes.
    Smoked salmon pate off cuts of smoked salmon (hot smoked salmon fillet if you prefer but more pricely) mixed with cream cheese and a little horse radish (lemon juice salt and pepper to taste).
    julybride

DFD 18th Dec2007 We did it!!!
    • Chris25
    • By Chris25 3rd Dec 05, 8:12 AM
    • 12,776 Posts
    • 12,609 Thanks
    Chris25
    There are loads of ideas and recipes for special snacks on here...........
    http://holidays.about.com/od/holidayrecipes/a/party_snacks.htm
    • Katgoddess
    • By Katgoddess 8th Dec 05, 12:10 AM
    • 1,798 Posts
    • 1,426 Thanks
    Katgoddess
    Something cool I saw in the Morrisons "Best" booklet that was full of posh ready made party food.

The cocktail sticks had the ends wrapped in tinfoil to make them look pretty.
    "A baby will make love stronger, days shorter, nights longer, bankroll smaller, home happier, clothes shabbier, the past forgotten, and the future worth living for."
  • intel
    Baked HedgeHog, Comes with its own Tooth Picks....
    • HopeElizzy
    • By HopeElizzy 2nd Mar 06, 4:19 PM
    • 603 Posts
    • 2,238 Thanks
    HopeElizzy
    Bookclub nibbles and snacks
    Hi everyone

I wonder if any of you can help? It is my turn to host a bookclub meeting I'm a member of on Saturday and wondered if anybody has any good ideas for eats. We usually just have drinks with nibbles and snacks - anything quick and easy is good but I'm willing to have a try at most things.

Thanks
    "all endings are also beginnings. We just don't know it at the time..."
  • MrsB
    Jamie Olivers Cheesey tortillas (Cant remember if that's their official name!!)

In a large bowl mix grated cheese, finely diced spring onion, finely chopped pepper (any colour), finely chopped red chilli, and chopped corriander leaf. mix well. Take a tortilla, cover with some of mix, top with another tortilla and fry in a dry pan - turning to brown both tortillas. The cheese mix melts and glues the tortillas together. When done (when the cheese is melted and the tortillas are golden) remove from pan and slice like pizza. keep going until all mix and tortillas used!

Fab finger food, but best served warm if poss. Serve with sour cream and guacamole or on their own.
    I'd rather be a could-be if I cannot be an are; because a could-be is a maybe who is reaching for a star. I'd rather be a has-been than a might-have-been, by far; for a might have-been has never been, but a has was once an are Milton Berle
  • Mrsbojangles
    vegetables and dips!
    February Grocery Challenge 250.00

Spend so far 230!! (Ohhh my days HELP) still got almost 2 weeks left!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,858Posts Today

7,621Users online

Martin's Twitter