Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
  • garthdp
    • 29th Apr 10, 10:09 AM
    • 29th Apr 10, 10:09 AM
    I kind of think he nailed it there.Nice one martin
    garth
  • brycemcc
    • 29th Apr 10, 10:20 AM
    • 29th Apr 10, 10:20 AM
    Well spoken that man. He is showing to his team who is the boss, that's what a PM should be doing.
    something missing
  • B.W. Fox
    • 29th Apr 10, 10:27 AM
    Spot on.
    US student loan (2.48%): $19,152.65 $2700.19
    Egg Money (500 limit, 12.9%): paid off in full each month
    Post Office Platinum (3200 limit, 0% to Aug '10): 1544.70
    Barclaycard Platinum (2500 limit, 0% to Jan '11): 2106.25
    Debt free by Oct 2012
    DFW NERD #511 - PROUD TO BE DEALING WITH MY DEBT
    • sidsmum
    • By sidsmum 29th Apr 10, 10:27 AM
    • 44 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    sidsmum
    I saw Mrs Duffy being hovered over by presenters from Sky News and the BBC just after this happened. During her "chat" with them, her mobile went and the Sky News man, who was wearing a bright blue tie to show the Murdoch allegiance said something abut "Tell them you're on Sky News" or words to that effect.

Far be it from me to accuse anyone or suggest a conspiracy, but the presenters' reactions and the way they appreard to be trying to be putting words into the lady's mouth did make it just slightly appear that Gordon had been stitched up...... or am I seeing conspiracies where there are none?

As a former union rep, I used to be horrified by some of the things the rank and file alleged about immigrants- it was the time when refugees from the former Yugoslavia were allegedly being given houses, leather jackets and huge sums of income support. It's nothing new, and I feel it a bit myself. Particularly as you can't tell who they are till they start talking in foreign languages
    • robbies_gal
    • By robbies_gal 29th Apr 10, 10:29 AM
    • 7,677 Posts
    • 151,945 Thanks
    robbies_gal
    • 29th Apr 10, 10:29 AM
    • 29th Apr 10, 10:29 AM
    sorry i still think hes an idiot she asked a question about immigration he calls her a bigot-maybe he should listen when people are talking to him
    What goes around-comes around
    • amersall
    • By amersall 29th Apr 10, 10:34 AM
    • 16,844 Posts
    • 18,928 Thanks
    amersall
    • 29th Apr 10, 10:34 AM
    • 29th Apr 10, 10:34 AM
    i think it was a set up too, the media have a lot to answer for.

• telsco
    • By telsco 29th Apr 10, 10:36 AM
    • 102 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    telsco
    • 29th Apr 10, 10:36 AM
    She asked him too many flocking questions.
    • daska
    • By daska 29th Apr 10, 10:36 AM
    • 6,011 Posts
    • 11,915 Thanks
    daska
    bigot
    /biggt/

• noun a person who is prejudiced in their views and intolerant of the opinions of others.
    how exactly does 15 seconds of someone asking a question adequately demonstrate bigotry? it was a question! It may be that in a more relaxed environment he would have discovered (as it appears he did when he visited her) that her opinions were not as fixed as he assumed.

assume
    @$$ / u / me
  • simply simon
    While I can understand that Gordon Brown was feeling stressed, this is a man who wants to continue to run the country. Losing his temper over questions from a former labour activist hardly fills the voter with confidence that Brown can keep it together when real pressure, such as a major international crisis, occurs...
    • Optimist
    • By Optimist 29th Apr 10, 10:39 AM
    • 4,416 Posts
    • 5,481 Thanks
    Optimist
    i think it was a set up too, the media have a lot to answer for.
    Originally posted by amersall

Given that he was wearing a microphone at the request of the labour party I guess it was a inside job !
    "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

Bertrand Russell. British author, mathematician, & philosopher (1872 - 1970)
    • foreign correspondent
    • By foreign correspondent 29th Apr 10, 11:04 AM
    • 9,028 Posts
    • 19,091 Thanks
    foreign correspondent
    We have all done it - we all have a public and private face... anyone who claims never to have done this is a hypocrite. Shame that yet again, personalities is dominating the discusson over policy. This article makes some good points too:
    http://uk.news.yahoo.com/elections/talking-elections-post/post/talking_election/25/comment-the-attack-on-brown-is-hypocritical.html
    • DKLS
    • By DKLS 29th Apr 10, 11:11 AM
    • 12,761 Posts
    • 21,519 Thanks
    DKLS
    So what Gordon doesnt like everyone he meets, I cant see the what all the fuss is about. I dont like everyone I meet, and on occasion have been known to make disparaging remarks after the event.
  • mumsy
    Gordon's Gaffe.
    Can't believe I'm disagreeing with you Martin, but I'm afraid I do this time. GB completely overreacted to a seemingly very pleasant, polite person asking relevant questions at a very critical time for us all, and she'd already said she was a Labour supporter. What an idiot he is, not to have recognised her concerns, sorry but he just doesn't deserve anyones support, and as for immediatley looking for someone else to blame, well, that's what children do! Yes, he may well have been 'stitched' up, but where were his 'Minders'? I think it's a given that win or lose, he'll be looking for a new job next week, Mandelson can't wait to get rid of him. Phew, that feel better!
  • pandora_ann
    Whilst the questions she asked may (or may not) be relevant, she asked far too many in too short a space of time, the poor man tried to answer but didn't have time before another question came. The questions themselves were almost phrased as accusations.

Martin's right, it was a private conversation in which an off the cuff remark was made out of frustration. The media vultures couldn't wait to swoop and obviously had no consideration for the woman's feelings at all. Brown has apologised yet the circus continues. Silly me for expecting people to act fairly and responsibly during election campaign time.
    • snowberry
    • By snowberry 29th Apr 10, 11:23 AM
    • 72 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    snowberry
    I'm paid to smile at & serve customers & generally bend over backwards for them. However, there is the odd time when I mutter something under my breath (once they've gone!) when the need arises! I think my most recent *grrr!* moment was a lady who ordered earl grey tea & then came back 5 minutes later to tell me she couldn't drink it as she had just remembered that she was allergic to bergermont! Silly woman! Surely you'd know that one beforehand!
    So, yes, we all do it, It just proves GB is the same as us all.
  • skhwoody
    cannot stand the man, personally and with all the tripe he has been spouting recently, it was only a matter time before this happened.

He was complaining essentially about not been put in that position with that woman, however she was a member of the public who for once was not a stage managed supporter.

I cannot condemn him for his comment, as most people will spout off some steam one time or another, however for me it brought to light the totally controlled environment the politicians are within, and anything not controlled by them always shows up controversy as they do not know how to converse with normal people on their level, no matter which party they are from.

What i was annoyed about in this whole matter was when he went to apologise to the woman, he held court with the reporters outside her house apologising while grinning inanely and removing any sincerity he was showing from his apology.
  • MadMac
    Well put Martin, I have to admit I laughed when I heard Gordon's comments played back! We are all human, we all slip up. He let his guard down for a few seconds and he will probably pay for it, he won't make the same mistake twice!

I won't comment on what the lady was saying to him, but I couldn't personally have stood there listening to her so I guess I was hearing it in much the same way as he was. Everything is open to interpretation and the world would be a dull place otherwise. I wouldn't be a politician, however much you paid me!

• skhwoody
    but I couldn't personally have stood there listening to her so I guess I was hearing it in much the same way as he was. Everything is open to interpretation and the world would be a dull place otherwise. I wouldn't be a politician, however much you paid me!
    Originally posted by MadMac
    Surely as a politician that is the bread and butter of his job, listening to people.... i think this is where all politicians have gone wrong.
  • JenniO
    Without wanting to get lynched here, maybe the man was just calling a spade a spade?

My elderly neighbour says enough off colour remarks to me about people of differing ethnic origins to her that puts the shudders up me.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

530Posts Today

5,849Users online

Martin's Twitter