Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 28th Apr 10, 4:09 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Energy blow as cheapest tariff pulled by Ovo
    • 28th Apr 10, 4:09 PM
    MSE News: Energy blow as cheapest tariff pulled by Ovo 28th Apr 10 at 4:09 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The supplier blames rising wholesale prices, and come as tens of thousands of Npower customers will see hikes in May ..."

Page 1
    • 4$&*($&*(!
    • By 4$&*($&*(! 28th Apr 10, 5:39 PM
    • 988 Posts
    • 981 Thanks
    4$&*($&*(!
    • 28th Apr 10, 5:39 PM
    • 28th Apr 10, 5:39 PM
    They are not the cheapest for me anyway. The term 'cheapest' can be applied in many, many different ways and I take it in its usage in this story the term 'cheapest' has been used for average users.

If you read the Guardian story it is almost the end of the world as we know it according to them. http://www.guardian.co.uk/money/2010/apr/28/consumers-advised-fix-energy-tariffs

My position is simple. There will always be a 'cheapest' for someone, I do not believe for a moment Ovo's change in prices will mean we should all be fixing as the Guardian suggests, and shop around.

The sun will still rise tomorrow, trust me
    • davidgmmafan
    • By davidgmmafan 29th Apr 10, 10:56 AM
    • 1,446 Posts
    • 522 Thanks
    davidgmmafan
    • 29th Apr 10, 10:56 AM
    • 29th Apr 10, 10:56 AM
    I agree, I don't see why people complain about high prices and yet do nothing about it. Most people can save hundreds simply by having an onlnie tariff, yes the companies are to blame but its not just them.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 29th Apr 10, 11:43 AM
    • 3,773 Posts
    • 2,450 Thanks
    glider3560
    • 29th Apr 10, 11:43 AM
    • 29th Apr 10, 11:43 AM
    Does anyone know what is happening to the Variable tariff? My parents arranged a switch a few days ago, but there is now no mention of this tariff on their site?!

• morg_monster
    • By morg_monster 29th Apr 10, 11:52 AM
    • 2,359 Posts
    • 2,136 Thanks
    morg_monster
    • 29th Apr 10, 11:52 AM
    • 29th Apr 10, 11:52 AM
    glider - according to the guardian website they have dropped the variable tariff so new customers can't get on it - but I'm sure your parents switch won't be affected. If your parents want to cancel their switch they probably still can (you have 7 days). I guess the prices will increase though? You'll have to call them to find out what the variable tariff is changing to.
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 29th Apr 10, 12:31 PM
    • 3,773 Posts
    • 2,450 Thanks
    glider3560
    • 29th Apr 10, 12:31 PM
    • 29th Apr 10, 12:31 PM
    glider - according to the guardian website they have dropped the variable tariff so new customers can't get on it - but I'm sure your parents switch won't be affected. If your parents want to cancel their switch they probably still can (you have 7 days). I guess the prices will increase though? You'll have to call them to find out what the variable tariff is changing to.
    Originally posted by morg_monster
    They will definitely switch as they've received the contract through. Will get them to ring later to find the new prices.

• wakeupalarm
    • By wakeupalarm 29th Apr 10, 4:42 PM
    • 738 Posts
    • 316 Thanks
    wakeupalarm
    • 29th Apr 10, 4:42 PM
    • 29th Apr 10, 4:42 PM
    Ovo founder Stephen Fitzpatrick says: "Wholesale prices have risen considerably since we last bought energy – rising by 20% in the last two weeks.

I don't understand, we are constantly told that energy is bought upto 2 years in advance and hence why all they other energy companies have failed to cut prices following the massive drop in wholesale prices. Now all of a sudden wholesale prices have increased in the last 2 weeks and OVO have to increase consumer prices immediately!

Do you think the energy companies have been telling us porkies?

Perhaps Martin, you could raise this with OVO for an explanation.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,484Posts Today

7,270Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @MartinSLewis: YOU DO NOT NEED YOUR POLLING CARD TO VOTE! Just go to your polling station - don't be wrongly put off. Please spread the?

• Today's Twitter Poll: Will you be voting in tomorrows European elections? If so will it be for a party you've no? https://t.co/YJ9XqAZ8u4

• This is a very useful and interesting, factual piece about what the PM's new Brexit proposals mean and how new they? https://t.co/qM1bCz6FZp

• Follow Martin