Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 17th Oct 06, 12:56 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    The Great Cheap, Safe Fireworks Hunt
    • 17th Oct 06, 12:56 PM
    0 WOW
    The Great Cheap, Safe Fireworks Hunt 17th Oct 06 at 12:56 PM
    This Great Hunt was first started in 2006 so some of the discussion might be old.

What's it about?

As we're approaching the festive season and many people want to get their party going with a bang I thought I'd tap MoneySavers knowledge to find the cheapest and safest fireworks around.

The Info Needed

If you spot a decent bargain, if you can report the store/website, and price of various different fireworks. Though please don't report and fireworks that don't have the BS 7114 safety standard on.
    That's it. And just to help I've included the Fireworks code below, have a wonderful, cheap and safe bonfire night/Diwali/anything else you're using them for.

Martin

The Firework Safety Code

Plus for safety's sake I thought I'd include the firework safety code to make sure you're buying the right fireworks and stay safe.
    • Only buy fireworks that conform to British Safety Standards which are ones marked BS 7114 on the box.
    • Don't drink alcohol if setting off fireworks.
    • Keep fireworks in a closed box.
    • Follow the instructions on each firework.
    • Light at arm's length, using a taper.
    • Stand well back.
    • Never go near a firework that has been lit. Even if it hasn't gone off, it could still explode.
    • Never put fireworks in your pocket or throw them.
    • Always supervise children around fireworks.
    • Light sparklers one at a time and wear gloves.
    • Never give sparklers to a child under five.
    • Keep pets indoors.
    and don't forget...
    • It is an offence to let fireworks off between 11pm and 7am, except on Bonfire Night (midnight), Diwali, New Year, and Chinese New Year (1am).
    • It is against the law to carry fireworks in public if you're under 18.
    • It is against the law to throw or set off fireworks in the street.
    • Fireworks must not be sold to anyone who is under 18.
    Last edited by MSE Archna; 28-10-2008 at 6:24 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,659Posts Today

5,181Users online

Martin's Twitter