Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Old Wrinkly
    • By Old Wrinkly 22nd Apr 10, 2:59 PM
    • 4,918 Posts
    • 8,450 Thanks
    Old Wrinkly
    • 22nd Apr 10, 2:59 PM
    • 22nd Apr 10, 2:59 PM
    I think MSE Guy deserves a 'right of reply'.
    • Smiley_Mum
    • By Smiley_Mum 22nd Apr 10, 4:54 PM
    • 3,779 Posts
    • 2,914 Thanks
    Smiley_Mum
    • 22nd Apr 10, 4:54 PM
    • 22nd Apr 10, 4:54 PM
    Jelly babies are lovely. Hard to resist when they are right under your nose. On offer at Tesco for 67p a bag too. Percy pigs from M&S are good too but not such a bargain. :-)
    “Ordinary riches can be stolen, real riches cannot. In your soul are infinitely precious things that cannot be taken from you.” - Oscar Wilde
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 22nd Apr 10, 5:33 PM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    • 22nd Apr 10, 5:33 PM
    • 22nd Apr 10, 5:33 PM
    MSE Guy is entitled to a right of reply - but he's probably too busy crunching kit kats the wrong way
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
  • LucyTheDwarf
    • 22nd Apr 10, 9:18 PM
    • 22nd Apr 10, 9:18 PM
    Well, it made us giggle in the office! The amount of times I've been sitting on hold for ages to some understaffed call centre and they choose to pick up the moment I stuff my face with something... but national radio - priceless!
    Target Cash Net Worth: £25K by January 2012
    Progress
    May-08
    19.0%; May-09 40.0%; May-10 63.0%; May-11 58.4%; Jun-11 58.5%; Jul-11 58.9%; Aug-11 58.7%; Sep-11 59.0%
    • bylromarha
    • By bylromarha 22nd Apr 10, 9:29 PM
    • 9,960 Posts
    • 13,248 Thanks
    bylromarha
    • 22nd Apr 10, 9:29 PM
    • 22nd Apr 10, 9:29 PM
    "But in the same circumstances, with jelly babies under your nose, could you have refused?"

I truly hope I am never on national radio talking about the chaos caused by a volcano...if I ever were in that situation, I shall try and remember to not have a packet of jelly babies, nor any other tempting sweet within reaching distance.

Thanks for another piece of sound advice
    Who made hogs and dogs and frogs?
  • irrelevant
    • 23rd Apr 10, 12:25 AM
    • 23rd Apr 10, 12:25 AM
    Jelly babies? Nope. Can't resist them.

My 3yo has left a pack here that her granddad bought her... she's going to have to finish them off real soon or there won't be any left!!
    • DarkConvict
    • By DarkConvict 23rd Apr 10, 11:38 AM
    • 6,249 Posts
    • 3,056 Thanks
    DarkConvict
    • 23rd Apr 10, 11:38 AM
    • 23rd Apr 10, 11:38 AM
    So Martin can resist everything except temptation. tut tut...
    Although no trees were harmed during the creation of this post, a large number of electrons were greatly inconvenienced.

There are two ways of constructing a software design: One way is to make it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies, and the other way is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies
  • katthehat
    • 23rd Apr 10, 2:17 PM
    • 23rd Apr 10, 2:17 PM
    lol great blog, i could refuse the orange one's, can't stand any orange sweets and don't know why, they all have a certain taste to them that i find awfull, if all sweets were orange i would leave them alone!! as they're not, i don't, so the answer is NO!!!!
    Kat
    • Gordon the Moron
    • By Gordon the Moron 23rd Apr 10, 5:08 PM
    • 1,453 Posts
    • 739 Thanks
    Gordon the Moron
    Yes I could easily have resisted, I'm a vegetarian and jelly babies contain gelatine and cochineal.
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
    • MothballsWallet
    • By MothballsWallet 23rd Apr 10, 7:53 PM
    • 13,536 Posts
    • 18,795 Thanks
    MothballsWallet
    > In the post mortem afterwards MSE Guy rather churlishly refused to
    > accept responsibility for the entire incident. But in the same circumstances,
    > with jelly babies under your nose, could you have refused?
    Yes, I could have refused - I'd rather have these.
    Always ask yourself one question: What would Gibbs do?

I live in the UK City of Culture 2021
  • Errata
    It's never a good idea to mix business with pleasure. It's also never a good idea for the boss to blame the workies when he's clearly at fault.
    .....................I'm smiling because I have no idea what's going on ...
    • pmduk
    • By pmduk 23rd Apr 10, 8:17 PM
    • 10,133 Posts
    • 7,755 Thanks
    pmduk
    It'll certainly teach MSE Guy not to leave his sweets within your reach!
    • Oscar The Grouch
    • By Oscar The Grouch 24th Apr 10, 7:39 AM
    • 2,187 Posts
    • 1,228 Thanks
    Oscar The Grouch
    Ok; so let's get this straight.

1. Lunch Skipping
    So being aware that you were going on the radio, you decided that skipping lunch was a good idea did you? At 7:30am, you could have made yourself a sandwich and when MSE Guy was setting everything up and offering round the JB's, you could have declined with dignity and had your tuna mayo on 50/50 instead.

2. Mummy, can I have jelly babies for lunch too?
    Ha!! You hadn't thought of that!!! Your lunchtime chats with Mr Vine are listened to by many a mother (or father) looking after their small children. The future moneysavers are learning their trade by their exposure to the truth at an early age. Your lack of willpower now means that hundreds, nay, thousands of children across the UK will believe that if it's ok for Martin to have jelly babies for lunch WHILST BEING INTERVIEWED then that's good enough for me too. Think of the bills you have created for those unable to find a decent NHS dentist!

3. Bassett's new advert
    And there we have it! Bassett's can now argue that their jelly babies are endorsed by MSE and you get no royalties!! Is this moneysaving? I think not!!

4. Thief!
    You clearly indicate in your blog that MSE Guy passed round the jelly babies and the took the bag with him when he began setting everything up. He moved the bag slightly to make room for the gear required FOR YOUR INTERVIEW and you took the opportunity to STEAL one of his jelly babies. There can be no defence to this; you admit the crime in your blog!!

5. No more jelly baby gates for you
    No! I say "No!" to this awful pun and use of child safety equipment in your blog titles (and I bet you forgot to get sponsorship from Mothercare). You have failed in your moneysaving role by your inability to spot (admittedly ludicrous) opportunities to raise funds, confessed to a crime and caused potential disaster for the future of our country's dental health! No more baby gates for you, Mr Lewis!! I think we all know that where you're going the bars are much stronger (and I don't mean you're off to the pub to get your free pint of IPA).

Shame on you, Mr Lewis. Shame!!!
    Last edited by Oscar The Grouch; 26-04-2010 at 6:25 PM. Reason: another typo
    In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry and was widely regarded as a bad move.
    The late, great, Douglas Adams.
    • boofuls1
    • By boofuls1 24th Apr 10, 11:48 AM
    • 23 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    boofuls1
    jelly baby boob??
    As you can see from my name, I am a Jelly Baby fan. Hence why I got the green one tattooed on my boob!!!

EVERYONE SHOULD ENJOY A JELLY BABY EVERY DAY!!
    • DaveAshton
    • By DaveAshton 24th Apr 10, 3:06 PM
    • 7,032 Posts
    • 14,741 Thanks
    DaveAshton
    What colour was the one that got you in trouble?

Bet it was a red one
    Back on MSE after a 5 year hiatus.

Rhi
    • Gordon the Moron
    • By Gordon the Moron 25th Apr 10, 11:24 AM
    • 1,453 Posts
    • 739 Thanks
    Gordon the Moron
    What colour was the one that got you in trouble?

Bet it was a red one
    Originally posted by DaveAshton
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal

This might help people if they can't resist red jelly babies
    If you don't like what I say slap me around with a large trout and PM me to tell me why.

If you do like it please hit the thanks button.
    • boofuls1
    • By boofuls1 25th Apr 10, 12:00 PM
    • 23 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    boofuls1
    thats gross!!!!
    • glider3560
    • By glider3560 25th Apr 10, 12:38 PM
    • 3,788 Posts
    • 2,467 Thanks
    glider3560
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cochineal

This might help people if they can't resist red jelly babies
    Originally posted by Gordon the Moron
    At least there are no artificial colours!!!

If the "anti-artificial brigade" knew about where their dyes come from, they might not be so keen on "natural" products anymore!

• MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 25th Apr 10, 6:02 PM
    • 8,115 Posts
    • 42,285 Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Oscar the grouch - you've got me banged to rights guv!
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

380Posts Today

5,809Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Snap post #BBCOurNextPM poll: Who do you think did best. (I had to have two in one category, so I picked randoml? https://t.co/gYTNBBn3SP

• Emily Maitliss being v mean to Boris using his own past quotes against him on Heathrow, having an election when lea? https://t.co/4baNAlmMid

• Wow - impressive performance from the 15 year old climate change activist. Not sure I'd have had such confidence when still at school.

• Follow Martin