Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 8th Apr 10, 2:54 PM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Petrol prices hit record high
    • 8th Apr 10, 2:54 PM
    MSE News: Petrol prices hit record high 8th Apr 10 at 2:54 PM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE News Story:

"The average cost of a litre of unleaded at the pumps is now 120p, eclipsing the previous peak of 119.7p ..."

Read the full story:
    Petrol prices hit record high

Page 1
    • LeeSouthEast
    • By LeeSouthEast 8th Apr 10, 3:25 PM
    • 3,768 Posts
    • 2,948 Thanks
    LeeSouthEast
    • 8th Apr 10, 3:25 PM
    • 8th Apr 10, 3:25 PM
    120p/litre would be nice. We surpassed that a few weeks ago down south. I filled up the other day at the cheapest station I could find in the area at 124.9p/litre ! Although I do have some Texaco 3p/litre off vouchers I'd forgotten about, so I shall be making good use of those over the coming weeks methinks.
    Starting Debt: ~20,000 01/01/2009. DFD: 20/11/2009
    Do something amazing. GIVE BLOOD.
  • kolin
    • 8th Apr 10, 3:46 PM
    • 8th Apr 10, 3:46 PM
    and when you've done everything recommended, then how do you save money on fuel?
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 8th Apr 10, 4:23 PM
    • 18,689 Posts
    • 11,513 Thanks
    motorguy
    • 8th Apr 10, 4:23 PM
    • 8th Apr 10, 4:23 PM
    and when you've done everything recommended, then how do you save money on fuel?
    Originally posted by kolin
    What have you done so far?
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
  • flyingscotno1
    • 8th Apr 10, 4:28 PM
    • 8th Apr 10, 4:28 PM
    Managed to fill up at 116.9p on Tuesday night. Think that is as cheap as it will be for a wee while anyway!
    • LeeSouthEast
    • By LeeSouthEast 8th Apr 10, 5:14 PM
    • 3,768 Posts
    • 2,948 Thanks
    LeeSouthEast
    • 8th Apr 10, 5:14 PM
    • 8th Apr 10, 5:14 PM
    I'm just thankful a full tank gives me close to 700 miles when driven properly! If I had a 300-mile-per-tank petrol car, I'd be crying about now.
  • ventureuk
    • 8th Apr 10, 6:39 PM
    • 8th Apr 10, 6:39 PM
    I'm just thankful a full tank gives me close to 700 miles when driven properly! If I had a 300-mile-per-tank petrol car, I'd be crying about now.
    Originally posted by LeeSouthEast
    I am happy to burn petrol at below 30mpg with a 2.0l petrol turbo on the drive and a new 2.0l petrol turbo convertible currently on the production line. Having had a few years eeking out 60mpg I realised life is for living, petrol is for burning and the drudge of commuting and other dull local journeys are best done under your own power and on two wheels.

Just drive a little less but when you do drive enjoy it and ignore the fuel gauge.
    • LeeSouthEast
    • By LeeSouthEast 8th Apr 10, 6:55 PM
    • 3,768 Posts
    • 2,948 Thanks
    LeeSouthEast
    • 8th Apr 10, 6:55 PM
    • 8th Apr 10, 6:55 PM
    Unfortunately driving less is not really an option. Work is a 60 mile round trip and the better half is a 120 mile round trip! I don't do many local journeys as it is.

Life is for living, and not for feeding to petrol companies.
  • Sandrock
    • 8th Apr 10, 7:03 PM
    • 8th Apr 10, 7:03 PM
    The most I've ever paid is 121.9p during the fuel shortage of Summer 2008. My local stations are now knocking on the door of 120p/litre (South) so I expect to surpass that record shortly!

My daily driver does 36mpg, but I've taken it off the road for a few jobs at the moment and borrowing a car which averages 20mpg. Eek.
    Self confessed nerd when it comes to anything financial and/or numerical!
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 8th Apr 10, 7:29 PM
    • 18,689 Posts
    • 11,513 Thanks
    motorguy

Life is for living, and not for feeding to petrol companies.
    Have to agree.
    "We have normality. I repeat, we have normality. Anything you still can't cope with is therefore your own problem."
    • motorguy
    • By motorguy 8th Apr 10, 7:31 PM
    • 18,689 Posts
    • 11,513 Thanks
    motorguy
    and ignore the fuel gauge.
    Originally posted by ventureuk
    Ignoring the fuel gauge used to cost me 500 a month in fuel.
    • glossyhair
    • By glossyhair 8th Apr 10, 8:16 PM
    • 133 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    glossyhair
    I used to be in the position of having to drive an 80 mile round trip to work every day and it cost me a fortune five years ago . . . glad I'm not there any more!! I really do have sympathy for those people who have no viable alternatives.

I have managed to get my car /petrol usage down to about 50 miles (12.50) a month by simply using my car much less . . . mostly for heavy grocery shops. Otherwise I use the bus / tram or I walk / cycle and incorporate that into my fitness routine so it's good for my health and the environment as well as my purse. A year ago I would have been lost without my car but a massive drop in income meant that my habits were forced to change. Now I have started to consider if I could manage without a car completely . . .
    Last edited by glossyhair; 08-04-2010 at 8:19 PM.
    mmmm, still seeking something witty to be my auto-signature . . . so this will have to suffice for now
    • wealdroam
    • By wealdroam 8th Apr 10, 10:21 PM
    • 18,660 Posts
    • 15,598 Thanks
    wealdroam
    Unfortunately driving less is not really an option. Work is a 60 mile round trip and the better half is a 120 mile round trip! I don't do many local journeys as it is.
    If nothing you want or need is nearby, have you thought that perhaps you might be living in the wrong place?

Last edited by wealdroam; 08-04-2010 at 10:23 PM.
  • mikey72
    Just filled up my Ducato from empty.
    • LeeSouthEast
    • By LeeSouthEast 8th Apr 10, 11:50 PM
    • 3,768 Posts
    • 2,948 Thanks
    LeeSouthEast
    If nothing you want or need is nearby, have you thought that perhaps you might be living in the wrong place?

Originally posted by wealdroam
    Frequently. It's something I'm actively looking to resolve in the next 10-14 months!
    • MiserlyMartin
    • By MiserlyMartin 9th Apr 10, 12:58 AM
    • 1,904 Posts
    • 1,361 Thanks
    MiserlyMartin
    I've been driving like this since petrol stations stopped displaying the price in gallons. Its common sense. So this 120p a litre is painful and nothing any sensible money saver can do will help because we have all been doing it anyway. Those who race around like mad just don't care about stuff like this are too stupid to educate. Or maybe its their right to drive fast.

Anyway the fact of the matter is - petrol and especially diesel is far too highly taxed in the UK. And no party is recognising this or has plans to reverse this.
    • Pincher
    • By Pincher 9th Apr 10, 2:50 AM
    • 6,516 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    Pincher
    I had thought the electric car was the future, until Mitsubishi announced the 38,699 price tag. I am still waiting for somebody to say April Fools!, but it's for real.

So it looks like a steam engine car running on wood soon.
  • kolin
    What have you done so far?
    Originally posted by pgilc1
    Drive light (no clutter)
    Drive a diesel
    Don't race the engine (will go max 65 on motorways)
    No roofracks
    Tyre Pressure checked at every fill up.
    Short journeys taken by bike instead of car.
    Car kept clean on outside
    Usually fill up to 3/4 full tank.

Filled up full this morning (51 Litres) - 60.00, should do me for around 600 miles.

The commute to work is 26.7 miles each way, can move closer as we live exactly halfway between mine and my gf's place of work.

I JUST WANT PETROL PRICES TO COME DOWN!! alas, that is never ever going to happen.
  • Inactive
    Car kept clean on outside

Originally posted by kolin
    Nice idea, but it will not save any fuel.
    • davetrousers
    • By davetrousers 9th Apr 10, 9:30 AM
    • 5,639 Posts
    • 4,881 Thanks
    davetrousers
    Petrol getting more expensive IS NOT NEWS! It aint ever going to get cheaper.

I'm amazed that Philip Holsworth hasn't been posted yet on this thread! lol

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

300Posts Today

1,367Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Mini MSE is on half term next week, so I'm excited to be taking the week off to be daddy. As normal I'm signing of? https://t.co/G3366shWh1

• I once blurted out on @gmb "Theresa May hasn't been given a poisoned chalice - she's been given a poisoned chalice? https://t.co/onfRbY3XVg

• It'd be fascinating to know how history will judge Theresa May's premiership. Currently, it is hard to see it as a? https://t.co/eH77G0O9LA

• Follow Martin