Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Ruby Pudding
    • By Ruby Pudding 9th Oct 06, 6:59 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    Ruby Pudding
    • 9th Oct 06, 6:59 PM
    • 9th Oct 06, 6:59 PM
    What a great idea - I didn't even know you could use old bean tins.....
    • Addiscomber
    • By Addiscomber 9th Oct 06, 7:07 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    Addiscomber
    • 9th Oct 06, 7:07 PM
    • 9th Oct 06, 7:07 PM
    I have recipe/instructions for exactly this, and know that they work because I cooked about 2 dozen when I was helping to run a Guide unit (the girls had fun decorating them). My typing is very slow, but I will return although possibly not until tomorrow.

Would you believe that when I asked for small clean baked bean tins to be sent in, one mother sent tuna cans
  • superdog
    • 9th Oct 06, 7:11 PM
    • 9th Oct 06, 7:11 PM
    Thanks Addiscomber: look forward to hearing from you!
  • Bambam
    • 9th Oct 06, 7:21 PM
    • 9th Oct 06, 7:21 PM
    What an absolutely brilliant idea. I've only just put my Christmas cake in the oven. Wish I'd read this thread first. This will definitely go into my Christmas ideas book for next year! Thanks.
    • Ruby Pudding
    • By Ruby Pudding 9th Oct 06, 7:23 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    Ruby Pudding
    • 9th Oct 06, 7:23 PM
    • 9th Oct 06, 7:23 PM
    Would you believe that when I asked for small clean baked bean tins to be sent in, one mother sent tuna cans
    by Addiscomber
    Mmmmmmmmmm fish flavour cake
  • Bambam
    • 9th Oct 06, 7:26 PM
    • 9th Oct 06, 7:26 PM
    Mmmmmmmmmm fish flavour cake
    by Ruby Pudding
    Fish cakes???????
    • Ruby Pudding
    • By Ruby Pudding 9th Oct 06, 7:29 PM
    • 888 Posts
    • 1,239 Thanks
    Ruby Pudding
    • 9th Oct 06, 7:29 PM
    • 9th Oct 06, 7:29 PM
    Fish cakes???????
    by Bambam
    Oh very good
  • Bambam
    • 9th Oct 06, 7:30 PM
    • 9th Oct 06, 7:30 PM
    Oh very good
    by Ruby Pudding
    Boom! Boom!
    • Addiscomber
    • By Addiscomber 9th Oct 06, 8:41 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    Addiscomber
    Hadn't looked at the recipe for a long time, and they are surprisingly short, so here you go

Mini Christmas cakes – very good for bazaars or presents for people who live alone and wouldn’t need a large cake. As it is basically a charity recipe there is no booze in order to keep the cost down.
    Sorry - I have had these instructions for years and they are pre-metric.

For 8 cakes baked in baked bean tins 3” size, greased and lined.

6 oz butter
    6 oz caster sugar
    3 eggs
    7 oz plain flour
    1 tsp mixed spice
    3 oz chopped glace cherries
    1 oz chopped nuts
    1 lb 2 oz mixed dried fruit

To decorate (I cannot remember if these amounts are per cake, or for the 8. I think it is probably per cake.)
    2 oz marzipan
    2 oz fondant icing
    decorations – candles, small baubles and coloured sugar balls

Cream together butter and caster sugar until fluffy, beat in the eggs and then mix in the other ingredients. Stir well and divide between tins. Bake at 325F, 160C, Gas 3 for 1˝ hours. Allow to cool completely.

Cover top of each cake with marzipan, then fondant icing.
    Decorate as liked.
    Wrap a strip of Christmas wrapping around the sides and tie with ribbon. In the picture that accompanied the instructions the top edge of the paper had been fringed which looks quite effective.
    • mookybargirl
    • By mookybargirl 10th Oct 06, 10:11 AM
    • 1,370 Posts
    • 2,640 Thanks
    mookybargirl
    Boom! Boom!
    by Bambam
    Boom boom from bambam

Don't the beans tins have a lip on them? Daft question possibly, but how do you get the cakes out? And do you leave them in the tins/cans if you want to feed them?

I've never made a christmas cake in my life!
    Love MSE, Las Vegas and chocolate!
  • bulchy
    This is interesting. Do you use the small bean tins or the large ones? What other tins could be used, please forgive my ignorance, but I've never heard of using food tins to bake with. Its a great idea, is it to give the cakes away as an individual gift or maybe something to sell at a christmas fayre? I'm very interested.
    Sue
    • Addiscomber
    • By Addiscomber 10th Oct 06, 1:00 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    Addiscomber
    The instructions say a 3" tin, which is just about the measurement across the width of the baked beans tins that I get currently. Ideally you would use a tin from a small size of beans, as fiddling in the bottom of a tall tin would not be easy. When I made these several years ago, tins didn't have those flipping ring pulls, so didn't have that rim around the edge. The rim is good in that one is less likely to cut one's fingers, but I reckon it would make it difficult to get the cake out, as it won't be able to slide out. I was wondering last night, after posting the instructions, whether sweetcorn tins might not be better, being a bit better proportioned. They are a little wider so the amount given might only do 6 rather than 8. Really it is a question of searching the supermarket for tins that are about the right size, have contents that won't leave a smell in the tin, and that preferably are old style tins that have to be opened with a tin opener. All you need to do is wash the tins out really well, let them dry and then treat/use exactly as you would a normal cake tin.
    • Addiscomber
    • By Addiscomber 10th Oct 06, 1:04 PM
    • 977 Posts
    • 1,196 Thanks
    Addiscomber
    Sorry - forgot the second part of the question. Yes, make them as gifts or for selling at school fayres or whatever. I think they would make a great addition to a basket of goodies being put together as a present for someone.
    • Strepsy
    • By Strepsy 10th Oct 06, 1:10 PM
    • 5,562 Posts
    • 38,226 Thanks
    Strepsy
    The instructions say a 3" tin, which is just about the measurement across the width of the baked beans tins that I get currently. Ideally you would use a tin from a small size of beans, as fiddling in the bottom of a tall tin would not be easy. When I made these several years ago, tins didn't have those flipping ring pulls, so didn't have that rim around the edge. The rim is good in that one is less likely to cut one's fingers, but I reckon it would make it difficult to get the cake out, as it won't be able to slide out. I was wondering last night, after posting the instructions, whether sweetcorn tins might not be better, being a bit better proportioned. They are a little wider so the amount given might only do 6 rather than 8. Really it is a question of searching the supermarket for tins that are about the right size, have contents that won't leave a smell in the tin, and that preferably are old style tins that have to be opened with a tin opener. All you need to do is wash the tins out really well, let them dry and then treat/use exactly as you would a normal cake tin.
    by Addiscomber
    Would it be easier to open the bottom of the tin with a tin opener when getting them out maybe?

Really cool idea, I might halve the mixture and do 4 to see how I go on.
    • recovering spendaholic
    • By recovering spendaholic 10th Oct 06, 1:18 PM
    • 3,049 Posts
    • 15,426 Thanks
    recovering spendaholic
    We made these in Domestic Science when I was at school and we lined the tins with greasproof paper so that the cake just popped out when it was cooked.
    Jane

ENDIS. Employed, no disposable income or savings!
    • mrs-moneypenny
    • By mrs-moneypenny 10th Oct 06, 3:06 PM
    • 15,518 Posts
    • 198,189 Thanks
    mrs-moneypenny
    We made these in Domestic Science when I was at school and we lined the tins with greasproof paper so that the cake just popped out when it was cooked.
    by recovering spendaholic
    aww that brings back memories "domestic science" when we girls were taught proper cookery in school meal planning budgeting costing and making meals. My ds had to make a pizza at school last year ingredents needed one pizza base tomato puree grated cheese and a couple of mushrooms! no wonder shops sell so many ready meals these days and kids are living on junk we have a whole generation who dont have a clue how to cook unless they get shown at home!

Sorry rant over.

I've just printed off the recipie and will make some of these mini cakes with said children as pressies
    SPC~12 ot 124

In a world that has decided that it's going to lose its mind, be more kind my friend, try to Be More Kind
    • LouBlue
    • By LouBlue 9th Oct 07, 4:29 PM
    • 53,046 Posts
    • 118,963 Thanks
    LouBlue
    Hadn't looked at the recipe for a long time, and they are surprisingly short, so here you go

Mini Christmas cakes – very good for bazaars or presents for people who live alone and wouldn’t need a large cake. As it is basically a charity recipe there is no booze in order to keep the cost down.
    Sorry - I have had these instructions for years and they are pre-metric.

For 8 cakes baked in baked bean tins 3” size, greased and lined.

6 oz butter
    6 oz caster sugar
    3 eggs
    7 oz plain flour
    1 tsp mixed spice
    3 oz chopped glace cherries
    1 oz chopped nuts
    1 lb 2 oz mixed dried fruit

To decorate (I cannot remember if these amounts are per cake, or for the 8. I think it is probably per cake.)
    2 oz marzipan
    2 oz fondant icing
    decorations – candles, small baubles and coloured sugar balls

Cream together butter and caster sugar until fluffy, beat in the eggs and then mix in the other ingredients. Stir well and divide between tins. Bake at 325F, 160C, Gas 3 for 1½ hours. Allow to cool completely.

Cover top of each cake with marzipan, then fondant icing.
    Decorate as liked.
    Wrap a strip of Christmas wrapping around the sides and tie with ribbon. In the picture that accompanied the instructions the top edge of the paper had been fringed which looks quite effective.
    Originally posted by Addiscomber
    What a lovely idea. I have never made a Christmas cake before so might surprise my sis and rest of family with these. The surprise as in being I don't normally bake.

Quick question! How long before Christmas shall I bake them and what is the best way to keep them nice for Christmas Day??
    Last edited by LouBlue; 09-10-2007 at 4:33 PM.
    A cloudy day is no match for a sunny disposition

~ William Arthur Ward ~
    • tru
    • By tru 9th Oct 07, 5:23 PM
    • 8,766 Posts
    • 46,862 Thanks
    tru
    I make tin-sized cakes every year (except last year - couldn't be bothered lol), they make great pressies

Lots of tins are stackable now though, great for in the cupboard, not so great when you need to get both ends off for cake-making :rolleyes:

I use the same recipe as for a normal size cake, line the sides of the tins with greaseproof paper, reduce the oven temp a bit and keep checking them - I have no idea what the proper temp and time should be

Once they're marzipaned and iced, they'll keep for months in pretty much any box/tin
    Bulletproof
    • code-a-holic
    • By code-a-holic 9th Oct 07, 5:39 PM
    • 1,348 Posts
    • 1,120 Thanks
    code-a-holic
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=562318&page=2

Very good thread and a link to photo of baked bean tin xmas cakes!
    Very good recipie too. Im making mine on Thursday
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

2,229Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin