Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 23rd Feb 05, 5:17 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    0 WOW
    4% off Pay As You Go Mobile Top-ups
    • 23rd Feb 05, 5:17 PM
    0 WOW
    4% off Pay As You Go Mobile Top-ups 23rd Feb 05 at 5:17 PM
    Top up at Boots (when there are no special offers elsewhere) and it pays Advantage points worth 4% of your spend each time. Do it during a triple points promotion and you up that to 12%.

Click reply to discuss.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
  • advantage_card
    • 23rd Feb 05, 6:23 PM
    • 23rd Feb 05, 6:23 PM
    I *always* top-up @ Boots to get my beloved advantage card points and try and do it when it is triple points if possible but seeing as they have yet to do an actual in-store triple points in 2005 yet *there's been one double points and one triple points promotion online mind* this is a bit hard, and there is no way of finding out in advance when they will be doing one as i have tried to gain this in the past and the staff only find out when the signs go up like we do apparetnly.
    my advantage_card is like gold dush
  • Highland_Lass
    • 23rd Feb 05, 11:41 PM
    • 23rd Feb 05, 11:41 PM
    Have used Boots in the past to top up my o2 mobile. Do they do it with others - ie. 3?
    If I had known then what I know now . . .
    Official Boots Tart (I seem to be retired just now though)
  • advantage_card
    • 24th Feb 05, 5:45 PM
    • 24th Feb 05, 5:45 PM
    Not sure if they do top-ups for Three @ Boots, don't think they do for Virgin Mobile if i remember rightly *well they haven't in the past - i remember once wanting to put money on my Orange phone, so this is going back 2yrs at least, and the guy in front wanted Virgin voucher and they didn't have any and i remembered seeing it at woolies so told the guy to go there*.
  • crossleydd42
    • 24th Feb 05, 5:46 PM
    PAYG MOBILE TOP-UPS & 'FRESH' CALL REDUCTIONS
    • 24th Feb 05, 5:46 PM
    If the shop displays the green TOPUP symbol, it will deal with ALL the mobile phone companies, even piggy-back ones (off o2) like Tesco.

BTW - I notice that the Carphone Warehouse have recently reduced their PAYG 'Fresh' call charges to 15ppm (texts to 5p) any network/any time. And free sims to-boot!
  • charlotte3
    • 24th Feb 05, 11:23 PM
    • 24th Feb 05, 11:23 PM
    This may be a silly question, but can you top up online through Boots?
    Sexkitten

Good things come to those who wait......... but the best will be taken by those who got there first

• advantage_card
    • 24th Feb 05, 11:27 PM
    • 24th Feb 05, 11:27 PM
    Well i thought things had maybe changed - in Boots they now just have little things near the tills that allow for top-ups with the little e-top sign and a loyalty card symbol to show that they enable you to get points on top-ups, so maybe they do do Virgin and/or Three now.

Woolies used to have a thing like a mouse-mat displaying all the networks they would top up at the checkout for Lotto transactions, but i have noticed this has recently disappeared, so again they may have changed too. Only notice it because i would put my money for my Lotto on it, never top-up there!
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 24th Feb 05, 11:36 PM
    • 4,326 Posts
    • 2,773 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    • 24th Feb 05, 11:36 PM
    • 24th Feb 05, 11:36 PM
    Safeway used to have 10% off top-up cards, not sure if this is still running now though.
  • crossleydd42
    • 24th Feb 05, 11:59 PM
    • 24th Feb 05, 11:59 PM
    I haven't seen this sort of deal since Morrison took over Safeway. It was always an intermittent offer, anyway.
    • Happy Hippo
    • By Happy Hippo 27th Feb 05, 10:04 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Happy Hippo
    Went to top up Vodaphone yesterday as a result of this tip, got 4% advantage points, 10% extra on my top up through vodaphone for putting 15(+) on and got a 10 limited gift voucher for Braun & 4 other brands to be spent by 15 March. Was needing a new shaver, so used my voucher immediately to get a 30 braun for 20, got another 4% on advantage card and another 10 voucher back! Also all payments by goldfish card so goldfish points on top of everything else. What a save! I think they may have paid me to top up my phone!
  • advantage_card
    Ooh - maybe they did, sounds like you had a good time @ Boots.

I managed to use ONE of my mailed-out coupons on Friday but forgot i needed face cream so could have used another one, will have to go back on Wednesday and stock up on raisins anyway, lol. To use the other 2 i want to i will have to scheme up some way to get to the Retail Park, because i doubt i will spend 7 in taxis just to use coupons on a lunch deal and a packet of crisps, sigh.
    • rangers_fc
    • By rangers_fc 27th Feb 05, 9:32 PM
    • 355 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    rangers_fc
    Ive got a Boots order coming through the mail box very soon 40 spend what vouchers can I expect with it?
  • advantage_card
    Just the 10 electrical beauty ones they are handing out at the moment i am afraid.
    • MrsMondragon
    • By MrsMondragon 28th Feb 05, 9:44 PM
    • 1,855 Posts
    • 3,662 Thanks
    MrsMondragon
    BOOTS TRIPLE POINTS FROM 1st. to 8th. March!
    Its going to be triple points from tomorrow for a week, so youre getting a 12 per cent discount! No one can beat that!
  • advantage_card
    Ooh i just spied that on the website - wonder if it will be in the shops so then i can get my DKNY Be Delcious perfume as it's so new it's not on the website yet?

Didn't notice anything about ONLINE ONLY within the Terms and Conditions mind.

*Doesn't think the mailed-out coupons will be valid at this time though, so can't be bothered to go to the Retail Park*
  • advantage_card
    Apparetnly this offer IS on in the shops but they are imposing a 315 minimum spend this time - so ill HAVE to buy my perfume otherwise i won't spend enough!
  • advantage_card
    Not a happy bunny - they've gone out of stock on the size of the DKNY Be Delcious i want, there's no guarantee it will be in before Triple Points in AND it's not on the website.

Not fair as i only spent 7.90 on bits including something for a mother's day thing and i didn't go over the limit for the triple points - SIGH.
    • lemontart
    • By lemontart 15th Sep 07, 10:13 PM
    • 5,835 Posts
    • 7,416 Thanks
    lemontart
    anyother good ways to save money when topping up a mobile there is of course the tesco club card so get points that way or nectar in other stores ............any other ways?
    • CharleneUK
    • By CharleneUK 15th Sep 07, 11:09 PM
    • 3,170 Posts
    • 1,099 Thanks
    CharleneUK
    Do you know, I walk into Croydon every friday and have never thought of doing this! I always top up my daughters phone over the phone.

I take it this is all networks?
    "I did then, what I knew then. And when I knew better, I did better"

Timberlake Hussy Clique Member No 2
    • mum2one
    • By mum2one 15th Sep 07, 11:13 PM
    • 16,154 Posts
    • 60,024 Thanks
    mum2one
    Do you know, I walk into Croydon every friday and have never thought of doing this! I always top up my daughters phone over the phone.

I take it this is all networks?
    Originally posted by CharleneUK
    Hi
    Its all networks as long as you have a swipe card, I top mine up every mth to get my freebies, after a couple of top ups you get into the hang of using boots.

The points are a bonus esp at xmas x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,671Posts Today

4,756Users online

Martin's Twitter