Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 30th Mar 10, 8:32 PM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,854 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    • 30th Mar 10, 8:32 PM
    • 30th Mar 10, 8:32 PM
    She should fess up; she wouldn't be expected to pay; many clothing retailers have Faulty labels and just mark these up and offer a discount on the item to anyone else wanting to buy it.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 30th Mar 10, 9:26 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 30th Mar 10, 9:26 PM
    • 30th Mar 10, 9:26 PM
    If she can't take her clothes off properly without tearing them she should have to pay and go to bed with no supper.
    • poppy10
    • By poppy10 30th Mar 10, 10:07 PM
    • 6,034 Posts
    • 7,297 Thanks
    poppy10
    • 30th Mar 10, 10:07 PM
    • 30th Mar 10, 10:07 PM
    If it tears so easily it can't be very good quality - she should certainly not buy another one, although it's only fair to buy the one she damaged.
    • Greatgimp
    • By Greatgimp 30th Mar 10, 10:10 PM
    • 823 Posts
    • 916 Thanks
    Greatgimp
    • 30th Mar 10, 10:10 PM
    • 30th Mar 10, 10:10 PM
    If you feel you have a moral obligation to pay for damage you caused to anything up for sale, it should be to the value of what the shop bought it for and not for the retail value.
    The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.
    • elizabethhull
    • By elizabethhull 30th Mar 10, 10:20 PM
    • 279 Posts
    • 1,812 Thanks
    elizabethhull
    • 30th Mar 10, 10:20 PM
    Confess or not?
    • 30th Mar 10, 10:20 PM
    Well everyone knows what they SHOULD do in this situation, but I bet a lot don't. It's so easy to 'get away with it', it's embarrassing to admit what you've done, and you feel that if you say nothing that no-one will know. But I imagine that in fact you will probably not be made to pay. When I admitted tearing a catalogue dress, I was just told to return it & got a full refiund. Anyway, just think of the glow of virtue you will have for doing the right thing - priceless.
    • geri1965
    • By geri1965 30th Mar 10, 10:23 PM
    • 8,366 Posts
    • 14,004 Thanks
    geri1965
    • 30th Mar 10, 10:23 PM
    • 30th Mar 10, 10:23 PM
    No way. I would just leave it, if anyone else wants to buy it afterwards they should be able to get some money off.
  • ThatAmericanGirl
    • 30th Mar 10, 10:27 PM
    • 30th Mar 10, 10:27 PM
    This actually happened to me not too long ago. I was trying on a gorgeous dress for a wedding, and the salesgirl brought me a pair of amazing shoes to try on with it... silk dress, sharp heels, not paying attention, I know, I know... straight through the side seam in the lining. I was horrified, but knew I couldn't face myself if I didn't say something, even though the rip was in the lining and not visible... so I took a deep breath and pointed it out to them. So sweet and sympathetic, they told me not to worry, they'd noticed the linings were pretty flimsy, and put it on a "return to factory" rack in the back. Yes - it definitely made me want to buy something from them the next time. I suppose the moral is that the truth is often less painful than we think.
    • keet83
    • By keet83 31st Mar 10, 12:45 AM
    • 211 Posts
    • 94 Thanks
    keet83
    • 31st Mar 10, 12:45 AM
    • 31st Mar 10, 12:45 AM
    if she does pay then it should only be the wholesale price due to legal reasons, if you damage an item in the shop and it is your sole fault then you need to pay how much the item cost for the shop owner.
    Beggars cant be choosers, but savers can!
    That used to be the case
  • LOUY
    I suggest she points out that it is damaged, so another customer doesnt pay good money for a damaged product. It would also help the retailer as they would not want to sell damaged products as it will affect their brand name as well.

She doesnt have to admit that the damage was her fault. Eitherway, retailers understand and expect damages and breakages for which they budget for.
    Mortgage when started (Dec 2005): 120,000
    Current mortgage (March 2011): 98,563
    Update (Jan 2014): 89,639
    Mortgage free day: Jan 2034
  • mr-tom
    She should certainly confess. After all, if somebody tore a hole in her car, she'd be upset if they didn't...
    • Ebenezer_Screwj
    • By Ebenezer_Screwj 31st Mar 10, 7:40 AM
    • 420 Posts
    • 229 Thanks
    Ebenezer_Screwj
    Pointing out the damage to the garment would be the honest thing to do, but I doubt if the shop would charge her or even make her buy it.
    • Tigsteroonie
    • By Tigsteroonie 31st Mar 10, 9:08 AM
    • 22,973 Posts
    • 57,594 Thanks
    Tigsteroonie
    Should she confess & offer to pay for the torn dress? Yes.

Would I? Now there's a different question .............
    Mrs Marleyboy

MSE: many of the benefits of a helpful family, without disadvantages like having to compete for the tv remote

Proud Parents to an Au-some son
    • Tulgey Wood
    • By Tulgey Wood 31st Mar 10, 9:51 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 52 Thanks
    Tulgey Wood
    NO WAY!
    The merchant has a choice, as a business, whether to allow potential customers to try before they buy. This entails a risk assessment of the likelihood of garments being accidentally damaged, balanced against the increased likelihood of making a sale (and therfore a profit) where garments may be tried. There will always be some risk, and the potential cost to the retailer is reflected in the prices we pay for ALL of the goods at the point of sale.
  • LoadZaFunk
    Mmmmmm!
    I believe legally she's liable to pay only the wholesale cost to the store of the dress... however; if it was me I'd shut up, pay for the other item & make a hasty exit
    • Martinslovechild
    • By Martinslovechild 31st Mar 10, 10:18 AM
    • 1,543 Posts
    • 1,641 Thanks
    Martinslovechild
    If she can't take her clothes off properly without tearing them she should have to pay and go to bed with no supper.
    Originally posted by scotsbob
    I'll happily help her take her clothes off
    Mortgage Feb 2001 - 129,000
    Mortgage July 2007 - 0
    Original Mortgage Termination Date - Nov 2018
    Mortgage Interest saved - 63790.60
    ISA Profit since Jan 1st 2015 - 69.6% (updated 17 May 2018)
    Save 12K in 2018 Challenger #111 - 13,500/20,000 (updated 31 August 2018)
    • A.Jones
    • By A.Jones 31st Mar 10, 10:25 AM
    • 506 Posts
    • 441 Thanks
    A.Jones
    I wouldn't buy the damaged or a new one. They are obviously quite poor quality if they rip so easily, and if she is likely to want to wear the necklace with the top, then the same thing could happen with the new one.

I'd just leave both and not say anything. The shop allows try before you buy, so they have to expect some damage.
    • Flickering Ember
    • By Flickering Ember 31st Mar 10, 10:29 AM
    • 11,623 Posts
    • 128,854 Thanks
    Flickering Ember
    Should she confess & offer to pay for the torn dress? Yes.

Would I? Now there's a different question .............
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    Same here.

Legally, IF a store chooses to make you pay for damage, they can ONLY charge you the wholesale price of them item(s), NOT the retail price.
    Flickering Embers grow higher and higher...I need a break and I wanna be a paperback writer!
    • juliamarsh
    • By juliamarsh 31st Mar 10, 10:30 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 393 Thanks
    juliamarsh
    Well there's no way I would own up - I'm surprised how many people are saying they would! Perhaps I'm just horribly dishonest and amoral!!
    • RuthnJasper
    • By RuthnJasper 31st Mar 10, 10:36 AM
    • 3,615 Posts
    • 8,638 Thanks
    RuthnJasper
    Oh no! This is a tough one. I would be sooo tempted to keep schtum and buy a perfect item... but I know I couldn't live with myself, so I'd have to 'fess up.

Stores usually have insurance or factory-returns policies to deal with such mishaps - after all, it WAS an accident and Beatrice didn't deliberately or maliciously rip the dress. I imagine that the vast majority of outlets would say "Don't worry about it, these things happen." - but, in case they didn't, I'd buy the dress I accidentally damaged and repair it myself at home with a few stitches.

Best to be honest, I feel. And, these days, Beatrice has probably been filmed on CCTV sneakily replacing the ripped dress on the rail and picking out a new one...!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,324Posts Today

8,156Users online

Martin's Twitter