Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • TAZ
    • By TAZ 22nd Feb 05, 4:10 PM
    • 221Posts
    • 55Thanks
    TAZ
    ok my first dip into this pool of knowledge
    • 22nd Feb 05, 4:10 PM
    ok my first dip into this pool of knowledge 22nd Feb 05 at 4:10 PM
    After reading all the advice on here i am trying out some ideas but need some filling, far reaching rescipes.

The reason, money is tight and am cutting back on many things, hoping to reduce my food bill. I have 5 lads that can all eat like their father even the 5 year old eats a full sized adult meal. they are sick of chips but are no great veg eaters. i do the usual spag bol and stews etc but with my lot i always need to buy loads of meat even spag bol takes 5ib mince

any ideas
Page 1
  • Lillibet
    • 22nd Feb 05, 4:36 PM
    • 22nd Feb 05, 4:36 PM
    Hi Taz

Don't know if you might have already tried these ideas but here goes :

Mince can be bulked out with lentils or grated carrotts, the carnivores in your family may not notice if you don't tell them.
    Just decrease the amount of meat in portions & slightly increasy the pasta/rice/potato portion to compensate.
    Try serving bread & a glass of chilled water with a meal to pad it out
    Mix mashed parsnips in with mashed potato
    Put veggies in the sauce to bulk it out, they may not be bothered to pick them out if they are all mixed in!
    Garlic bread is a cheap alternative to chips
    Try parsnip chips for a change & a healthy alternative (Tecos Value parsnips & cheap & good quality!) Again, if you don't tell them they may not notice!
    Try waffles or hash brows as an alternative type of potato, I often see these on BOGOF so they are economical too but would be cheaper still if you could make your own.
    Baked beans are helathy & cheap & a good alternative to veggies but with 5 sons you might want to go easy on these!

Thats all I can think of for now but others with far greater receipe ranges will be along soon.

Good luck!
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
    • MATH
    • By MATH 22nd Feb 05, 5:48 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    • 22nd Feb 05, 5:48 PM
    • 22nd Feb 05, 5:48 PM
    OOOOHHHH It's very dangerous to dip yourself into this pool. Some have been known to fully submerge themselves in Ol'Style culture never to surface and see the light of day again. Welcome by the way.

When serving chicken always buy a whole chicken rather than thighs or breasts it is much cheaper. Boil the carcass and use ths stock for soup or the base for pasta dishes the next day. As Lilibet says when using mince bulk it out. I can make a shepherd's pie which feeds 8 (and yes my kidz eat adult portions too) with one pound of mince once I've added the onions, peppers, mushrooms, chopped carrot, sweetcorn, chopped tomatoes, courgette, cuddly toy and a fondue set (do ya get the idea?) heheheh. They havn't noticed the amount of meat and therefore the price has gone down.
    Let us know how you get on.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 22nd Feb 05, 7:02 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 22nd Feb 05, 7:02 PM
    • 22nd Feb 05, 7:02 PM
    Welcome Taz

I agree with MATH - you can find yourself addicted to these old sytle threads ( MATH and Ssaver are my gurus )

Apart from 'padding things out' as mentioned above, which I do mainly to reduce the amount of meat we all eat, does everyone eat as much as they do because they are used to eating that much? Without in any way getting at you because I don't know your circs, a lot of people simply overeat because they have got used to eating that much (Mr TM is a prime example) I also eat bigger portions than I need to and the only reason I'm not the size of a house is because I tend to eat lots of fruit/veg and low fat . Maybe you could just slowly reduce the amount they are getting - I know, harder than it sounds. Have you told Mr Taz and even the older Tazlets that money is tight so they will have to eat slightly smaller portions?

A drink of water 10 mins before food will take the edge of their appetite.

Try making something completely different - that way you can try ingredients not used before.

Try making the all-bran cakes (recent thread) They really aren't as disgusting as they sound - quite sweet and sticky. So, everyone will think they are having a treat and it's both good for them and fills them up.

I'll keep thinking.

(PS Does MATH have a fan club? I wanna join)
    • Ticklemouse
    • By Ticklemouse 22nd Feb 05, 7:05 PM
    • 4,896 Posts
    • 5,486 Thanks
    Ticklemouse
    • 22nd Feb 05, 7:05 PM
    • 22nd Feb 05, 7:05 PM
    Oooh, another quick thought.

My mum was saying recently, that when we were little and money was really tight, she used to buy marrow bones from the butchers as they were used to thicken up soups/stews etc, make them go further and good for you. I haven't got a clue as to any recipes, but maybe someone else has. I'm sure they must still be cheap.
    • vanoonoo
    • By vanoonoo 22nd Feb 05, 7:15 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    vanoonoo
    • 22nd Feb 05, 7:15 PM
    • 22nd Feb 05, 7:15 PM
    try them out with things like chilli (using lots of kidney beans) which could be served with jacket spuds or rice

how about home made tray bake type pies?

somewhere in the depths of the boards the joys of oatmeal was discussed relating to mixing it in with mince to make it go further. i'll do a quick search and see if I can find a link for you.

things like toad in the hole and sausage casserole are good value and relatively easy on industrial sized portions

is there no way you can encourage them to eat veg as a side dish?

I think the portion control is a great suggestion along with water and bread with all meals.

(one of) my ex(es) came from a family of four boys where the mum and dad also had another male relative living with them - meal times were interesting to say the least and there was often a buffet type affair on a firday night in order to use up the odds and sods from the freezer (single burgers, lonely sausages, solitary shepherds pie that kinda thing) and there were often the four lads, the four girlfriends, the mum and dad and the random relative eating at the same table - which is on a par with your size family - I have no idea how the mum managed it - but she did and very well too. oh I remember - they managed cos the dad brewed his own beer and wine and they were drunk the whole time! hoorah!

seriously though - by addressing the issue you will conquer it and as you have presumably realised - these boards are fab for help with trimming budgets.

do you have a price book? do you know how much your average shop is and also if you are getting the best value products each shop?
    Blah
    • vanoonoo
    • By vanoonoo 22nd Feb 05, 7:19 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    vanoonoo
    • 22nd Feb 05, 7:19 PM
    heres a thread that talks aobut stretching mince further

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.html?t=1532&page=2&pp=40&highlight=oatm eal+mince

there is another one on student savings which I will look for too
    Blah
    • elona
    • By elona 22nd Feb 05, 7:19 PM
    • 11,150 Posts
    • 63,458 Thanks
    elona
    Try putting baked beans in shepherds pie as it bulks it out.

Try Large home made yorkies filled with veg and gravy ( tiny bit of meat or sausage if you have to)

How about thick soup made in slow cooker? With baked potatoes on side.
    "This site is addictive!"
    Wooligan 2 squares for smoky - 3 squares for HTA
    Preemie hats - 2.
    • vanoonoo
    • By vanoonoo 22nd Feb 05, 7:22 PM
    • 1,860 Posts
    • 7,742 Thanks
    vanoonoo
    • 22nd Feb 05, 7:22 PM
    • 22nd Feb 05, 7:22 PM
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.html?p=53879&postcount=15

there that gives the suggestion with oatmeal
    Blah
    • MATH
    • By MATH 22nd Feb 05, 9:08 PM
    • 2,931 Posts
    • 5,603 Thanks
    MATH
    Welcome Taz

( MATH and Ssaver are my gurus )

I'll keep thinking.

(PS Does MATH have a fan club? I wanna join)
    by Ticklemouse
    I agree SSaver is the Queen of Ol'Style (long may here bargain laden wally trolly rumble) I on the other hand may just about qualify for the title "gunu" heheheh.

I did have a fan club once but sadly the local health authority closed it down when they introduced care in the community.

By the way Ticklemouse, I don't know if you are familiar with the children's books "Brambly Hedge Stories" there is a character in them call Poppy Eyebright who is a little fieldmouse. She's always whipping up a batch of buns or a hazlenut cake to take up to Woodmouse Hall. I always think of you when I read them to my smallest. - (Must be a mouse thing)
    Last edited by MATH; 22-02-2005 at 9:10 PM.
    Life's a beach! Take your shoes off and feel the sand between your toes.
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 22nd Feb 05, 9:30 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    Queen of ol' style eh?
    I did have a business idea once involving queens, but thats another matter...
    Make old fashioned things which are filling - stick to your ribs - as Dad used to say
    toad in the hole
    dumplings
    crumble
    steamed pudding
    rice pudding
    pancakes
    baked potatoes
    notice a theme here... FLOUR! Its dead cheap and you can do so much with it. Also I have noticed that when having a sunday dinner my youngest always goes for the meat first, so what I do now is take the meat out and carve it, then dish the veg onto the plates, dont say anything then they eat a bit of veg before the meat miraculously appears on the plate, otherwise he fill sup on meat first then leaves the veggies.
    Dont throw anything away, it can be made into soup, sauces, stock, bird feeders (fat) save the fat from sausages, chops and duck for cooking with another day. I made a lovely puree once with leftover peas, mint and chilli.
    I made a casserole today and the sauce was tomatoes, mushroom, onion and garlic. My very fussy daughter ate it because I blended all the sauce first, so it just looked like chick peas and sausages in tomato sauce. There was a thread on hidden veg. on the old site.
    My trolley hasnt been out yet this week.
    When i work out how to post a pic I will!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
    • r.mac
    • By r.mac 23rd Feb 05, 11:21 AM
    • 4,736 Posts
    • 15,803 Thanks
    r.mac
    as elona mentioned, baked beans are a great way to pad things out - not just shepards pie, but also chilli, stews and casseroles too.

I only like heinz baked beans when I have them as beans (i.e. a seperate veggie portion) but when they are mixed into a dish, the cheap economy supermarket brands are perfect and save you about 20p a can!
    r.mac, you are so wise and wonderful, that post was lovely and so insightful!
    Originally posted by aless02
    I can't promise that all my replies will illicit this response
    • TAZ
    • By TAZ 23rd Feb 05, 4:04 PM
    • 221 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    TAZ
    thanks so much for your advice so far, i have been out and bought half the amount of mince i normally buy and will be bulking it out with beans tonight have also bought potatoes rather than frozen chips. hopefully they won't notice. my boys aren't normally bread eaters but it will be there this evening
    wish me luck
    • Sarahsaver
    • By Sarahsaver 23rd Feb 05, 7:22 PM
    • 8,219 Posts
    • 13,174 Thanks
    Sarahsaver
    my dad always used to water down tinned food, soup, baked beans atc, because he thought they were too salty anyway, and it makes them go further!
    Member no.1 of the 'I'm not in a clique' group
    I have done reading too!
    To avoid all evil, to do good,
    to purify the mind- that is the
    teaching of the Buddhas.
  • Lillibet
    Oh yes, I totally forgot I do that too, always water down tinned soup & the odd ready made sauce that I end up buying with either water or skimmed milk. I also buy value long life orange & apple juice & water both of these down too, I find them a bit sweet otherwise but it did take a bit of getting used to at first. I reckon I get an extra (fairly large) glass out of each carton of juice this way. And when we have had unexpected guests I have been known to water down coke & lemonade to stretch it!
    Post Natal Depression is the worst part of giving birth

In England we have Mothering Sunday & Father Christmas, Mothers day & Santa Clause are American merchandising tricks Demonstrate pride in your heirtage by getting it right please people!
  • Queenie
    Give them a 2 or 3 course meal instead of just the one: a home made soup will fill their tums before they get as far as the mains! Or, give them smaller portions of main and surprise them with a good old fashioned dessert (rice pudding, microwaved sponge pud).

Years ago, a family I lived with served bread with every meal including roast dinner (what better way to mop up all that scrummy gravy ) These days, that seems to be a long forgotten "trick".

It's also a lot healthier!! 5lb of mince between that amount of people really is a very large portion.

Meat portions in cookery books of old recommend 4-6oz per person off the bone, 6-8oz on the bone (this refers to how to guage how much to buy, so even with your 7 person household, the amount of recommended minced beef to buy would be approx 3½lb - by reducing your "guestimate" of how much meat to buy according to those old books, you would automatically reduce your meat bill by almost ⅓.

How did your mince turn out last night?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PMS Pot: £57.53 Pigsback Pot: £23.00
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    • debbym
    • By debbym 24th Feb 05, 9:08 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,747 Thanks
    debbym
    I agree that having smaller portions but more courses is a good idea - I ead somewhere that it takes about 20 min for your brain to catch up with the fact you've eaten and stop feeling hungry!

We have toddlers and have a 'carpet picnic' when we want to do a buffet style meal to empty the fridge. Star of the show home-made pizza, we use cheap value flour for base (gives a thin crust type pizza) top with spoonfuls of BOGOF pasta sauce (don't buy the special pizza topping sauces even if on special offer - biggest ingredient is water!) and then top off with things like sliced sausage etc.

Other things to bulk out stews etc
    pearl barley
    rice
    couscous
    broken up spaghetti
    noodles
    scone dough to make a cobbler top

for sunday lunch cook the roast on a bed of chopped root veggies and onions - they cook in the meat juices and therefore taste less vegetable like (also works for things like sausages/chops if you start the veggies first and add the meat after say half an hour)

DH also dislikes veggies and will pick through any stew etc to find the meat and eat it first. However if it is veggies/meat in curry or chilli sauce it goes down a treat! Must be a 'chromosome rot' thing LOL

As a final note if you really can't get them off the chips Tesco's sell "Garden Isle Big Fries" in their frozen chips section 750g for 10p and they are big steak cut oven chips that are better quality potatoes than the Tesco value ones!
  • pickle
    Here's a recipe i made the other night (fused from various internet recipes) - my husband liked it so much that he wanted the next day as well (so had to make from scratch again!!)

Chorizo sausage and beans (enough for 5)

Ingredients

I chorizo (dried like salami) sausage (equivalent in length to about 4 regular sausages) - from LIDL in a pkt - (i'm sure that other supermarkets have similar)
    2 sml onions diced
    2 tins tomatos
    2 tins kidney beans (or 4 if can't be bothered getting other kind) drained
    2 tins cannellini or fagioli beans drained (white beans in a tin) - avail. at LIDL
    2 teasp. paprika
    2 tablesp. parsley fresh or dried (optional)
    2 teasp. chilli (reduce if don't like chilli or omit)
    2 teasp. garlic
    generous splash tobasco (optional)
    1/2 level teasp. of cumin
    1/2 level teasp. of corriander
    4 stock cubes (veg, chick or beef)
    4 rashers bacon chopped up (optional)
    4 desssp. tomato paste

Method

Take skin off chorizo and slice diagonally (about 1/2 cm thick) - fry chorizo until starting to brown a bit. Add onion, garlic and bacon and fry until onion starts to soften.
    Add rest of ingredients and simmer for about 1/2 hr-45 mins
    Serve with rice, mashed potatos (or roast potatos as i did)
    I'm sure you could throw it all in a slow cooker and it would work.
    Last edited by pickle; 24-02-2005 at 9:27 AM. Reason: forgot the tomato paste and to add to drain the beans
    • debbym
    • By debbym 24th Feb 05, 9:23 AM
    • 460 Posts
    • 2,747 Thanks
    debbym
    Here's a recipe i made the other night (fused from various internet recipes) - my husband liked it so much that he wanted the next day as well (so had to make from scratch again!!)

Chorizo sausage and beans (enough for 5)

Ingredients

I chorizo (dried like salami) sausage (equivalent in length to about 4 regular sausages) - from LIDL in a pkt - (i'm sure that other supermarkets have similar)
    2 sml onions diced
    2 tins tomatos
    2 tins kidney beans (or 4 if can't be bothered getting other kind)
    2 tins cannellini or fagioli beans (white beans in a tin) - avail. at LIDL
    2 teasp. paprika
    2 tablesp. parsley fresh or dried (optional)
    2 teasp. chilli (reduce if don't like chilli or omit)
    2 teasp. garlic
    generous splash tobasco (optional)
    1/2 level teasp. of cumin
    1/2 level teasp. of corriander
    4 stock cubes (veg, chick or beef)
    4 rashers bacon chopped up (optional)

Method

Take skin off chorizo and slice diagonally (about 1/2 cm thick) - fry chorizo until starting to brown a bit. Add onion, garlic and bacon and fry until onion starts to soften.
    Add rest of ingredients and simmer for about 1/2 hr-45 mins
    Serve with rice, mashed potatos (or roast potatos as i did)
    I'm sure you could throw it all in a slow cooker and it would work.
    by pickle
    Cannellini beans are the ones they make baked beans from so could use a value tin of those instead
  • fazer6
    I used to do lots of jacket spuds but in a bag of potatoes you're always left with some smaller ones which I end up using for mash or roasts. Last night I experimented making my own potatoe skins (which I've always thought look tasty but very over priced). I microwaved the potatoes and scooped out the inside. Last night we had that mixed with a bit of butter and cheese with the lamb stew. I mixed a bit of potatoe with some cooked onions and cheese and spread it round the potato skins. Put them in the oven while the stew was in and they looked really tasty. My other half opened the fridge to get the milk and found them and says they're really good.

If you're planning to do mash anyway you may as well do this as you don't waste anything and get two meals out of your spuds.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

122Posts Today

2,479Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • A brilliant and gripping profile of Boris Johnson by the great @JPonpolitics well worth the 15 minute read https://t.co/odelHYEbRg

• Boris Johnson is now going to be our prime minister. Worth a pause for thought, whatever your political persuasion.

• Boy they're dragging out this #conservativeleadership announcement.Three introducers now each grabbing air time. Get on with it please!

• Follow Martin