Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • scotsbob
    • By scotsbob 16th Mar 10, 9:28 PM
    • 4,462 Posts
    • 6,958 Thanks
    scotsbob
    • 16th Mar 10, 9:28 PM
    • 16th Mar 10, 9:28 PM
    I wouldn't say anything but from that point on they would be an ex friend.
    • alun4
    • By alun4 16th Mar 10, 11:25 PM
    • 457 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    alun4
    • 16th Mar 10, 11:25 PM
    • 16th Mar 10, 11:25 PM
    I can't see any way it is anything but theft. I would be shocked if someone I had previously considered a friend did that
    • PoorPennilessMe
    • By PoorPennilessMe 17th Mar 10, 12:18 AM
    • 79 Posts
    • 56 Thanks
    PoorPennilessMe
    • 17th Mar 10, 12:18 AM
    • 17th Mar 10, 12:18 AM
    Very simple - it is theft! I would say something to my companion, but not report to the cinema. I certainly wouldn't report to the police!!! I think that's just silly - I doubt the Police would thank you for taking up their time with it...

In future, I wouldn't trust the person who stole if they showed no remorse.
  • snugglepet20
    • 17th Mar 10, 12:35 AM
    • 17th Mar 10, 12:35 AM
    I wouldn't eat it, knowing my luck I'd be arrested and sent to jail! Theoretically it is stealing and therefore wrong, however honestly I wouldn't really care if someone else did purely because the price of pic and mix at the cinema is so extortionate you feel as though they are robbing you blind anyway and therefore it somehow seems more acceptable than other stealing.
    • rinoa778
    • By rinoa778 17th Mar 10, 1:28 AM
    • 196 Posts
    • 69 Thanks
    rinoa778
    • 17th Mar 10, 1:28 AM
    • 17th Mar 10, 1:28 AM
    I wouldn't eat food before/without paying for it. If my friend did this, I would probably roll my eyes and maybe question them, 'Are you sure that's allowed?'
    If they got away with it, good for them but if not, well...I did try to warn them. I would not report them, I would turn a blind eye.

My only exception to this rule is the grape rule. You are allowed to try one grape to see if they are worth buying!
    Lurker extraordinaire! no. 4950

Food Shopping & Groceries is my favourite board.
  • bigwigtom
    • 17th Mar 10, 3:55 AM
    • 17th Mar 10, 3:55 AM
    If someone I knew had the cajones to do this, I'd be very amused.

Cinemas take pride in charging us extortionate prices for tickets, sweeties and drinks. The rise in price of cinema tickets alone has grossly outpaced inflation over the last 10 years. I've no sympathy for them - they are screwing over their customers to rake in more profits, good on anyone who can in some small way give them a symbolic middle finger by nicking some sweeties.

Having worked in places like this, I can tell you the staff couldn't care less. The cinema probably loose kilos worth of sweets due to spoilage, stock errors and 'staff testing'. The cost price of these things is phenomenally low, especially at the volumes the cinema is buying in, and so you're really talking about a few pence worth of sweets. If a paying customer eats one or two (we're assuming they're not taking great handfuls) it will have no detrimental effect on the cinema whatsoever. In fact if they gave every paying customer a handful of sweets, they'd still be making a good profit (it would also be a good marketing ploy too!).

If somone is so hard-up and/or stupid to risk trouble with the police by stealing some sweets then really, they deserve our sympathy.
    • Paulgonnabedebtfree
    • By Paulgonnabedebtfree 17th Mar 10, 6:06 AM
    • 2,703 Posts
    • 28,940 Thanks
    Paulgonnabedebtfree
    • 17th Mar 10, 6:06 AM
    • 17th Mar 10, 6:06 AM
    Of course it's theft but no way would I report anyone for it.
    I know it doesn't make it right and I wouldn't do it myself but I reckon cinemas are asking for it really by grossly inflating the prices and searching bags for sweets on the way in. They actually have a ban on bringing your own sweets which, IMO, should also be outlawed. They rip off their customers so I suppose they can have little room for complaint if some of the customers return the compliment. Doesn't make it right of course but does make it understandable.
  • mr-tom
    • 17th Mar 10, 6:08 AM
    • 17th Mar 10, 6:08 AM
    Yes it's theft. I wouldn't report them for such a trivial amount, but neither would I be terribly inclined to trust them myself...
    • onlineo
    • By onlineo 17th Mar 10, 7:13 AM
    • 42 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    onlineo
    If someone just tries a sweet or 2 to see if they want to put it in the pick and mix they are buying then things are fine. I do this when I buy a pick and mix (usually about once a year) and frequently when I buy grapes. Both times I usually spend about 3 and Im simply not going to buy them if I dont know I like them.

With the grapes this has stopped me purchasing many "seedless grapes" that turn out to have seeds in them! Conversly if the grapes taste really good I might buy 2 bags of them.
  • Phyre Faerie
    I don't know where this "grape rule" has come from. People use this on cherries when we have them at work and I find stones EVERYWHERE and tbh its disgusting. If your going to steal them at least have the good grace to take the stone covered in your saliva with you cause I don't want to touch it. Theft is theft. If every single person took one sweet from the pic and mix in the cinema times that by every cinema in the chain thats a *lot* of lost profit. Some folks are more honest though.
    Got Married 1st may '10!
    Our Money Saving wedding was the best day of our lives!!

• Ivrytwr3
    • By Ivrytwr3 17th Mar 10, 8:00 AM
    • 5,479 Posts
    • 9,631 Thanks
    Ivrytwr3
    Yes it's theft, doesn't stop me doing it though!!

(on the rare occassion i can afford to treat myself to a movie!)
  • worbikeman
    The cinema doesn't lose any profits - they simply adjust the price so that honest paying customers cover the loss. Have you noticed how, in supermarkets, small, easily concealed items are exorbitantly priced?
  • connellans
    Yes it is theft, but come on, a couple of sweets really wouldn't hurt anyone. They charge extortionate fees to go to the pictures then charge you the earth for any goodies you have. For me personally, i buy sweets elsewhere and take them in my bag. Also take a drink too. If they didn't charge so much i don't suppose people would be tempted to steal.
  • carlgriffiths1
    Doesn't it depend on how the Pick n Mix is charged for? At some of them you fill the bag with what you want and then weigh it. you are then given a printed sticker showing the charge which you have to pay at the till. so even if you or your "robbing" friend eat a few you are still paying for them a few minutes later.

isn't the legal definition of theft something along the lines of "having the intention to permanently deprive the true owner of his/her rights in connection with the said item"?

if so, you intend to pay and as such have not committed theft.

However, if you are steady handed enough to cradle the bag of sweets on the weighing scales so you get a cheaper sticker, that is another matter!!
  • cliveoram
    Yes
    It's that simple
    • Idiophreak
    • By Idiophreak 17th Mar 10, 8:32 AM
    • 11,636 Posts
    • 15,175 Thanks
    Idiophreak
    Doesn't it depend on how the Pick n Mix is charged for? At some of them you fill the bag with what you want and then weigh it. you are then given a printed sticker showing the charge which you have to pay at the till. so even if you or your "robbing" friend eat a few you are still paying for them a few minutes later.
    Originally posted by carlgriffiths1
    Absolutely, that's an entirely different thing - I've had occasions in the past where I've been dying of thirst, so have necked my bottle of water in the queue for the checkouts - but have still paid for it afterward, don't think that's the same thing at all...

However, if you are steady handed enough to cradle the bag of sweets on the weighing scales so you get a cheaper sticker, that is another matter!!
    Originally posted by carlgriffiths1
    Err, wouldn't it be easier just to weight the bag, then chuck some more sweets in afterward?
  • Summer76
    It is theft, but must admit I once tried a sweet in the pick and mix before buying it as I had never had this sweet before, but was chatting to one of the staff at the same time about the sweets and they told me to try it before I buy it. Next time I was in the same shop with a friend I took her to the pick and mix as the sweets were so lovely and said, the same to her 'try before you buy'. She was mortified that I even suggested it and said it was stealing. I felt so bad afterwards and thought about it and yes it would be considered stealing even though when I did it, it was with the approval of a member of staff. One taste is ok, but to be grabbing loads is obviously wrong.
    • blued
    • By blued 17th Mar 10, 8:49 AM
    • 679 Posts
    • 255 Thanks
    blued
    I really couldnt care less and find it quite funny that some of the replies include "they would become and ex friend" and "I wouldnt trust them anymore". We dont buy food in the cinema due to the ridiculous prices, we buy in tesco and take them in. What do you lot on your high horses think of that?! Should we be arrested? Should our friends disown us?!
    • relaxtwotribes
    • By relaxtwotribes 17th Mar 10, 8:55 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    relaxtwotribes
    Stop using the word 'extortionate' to describe prices for cinema tickets, sweets, coke, popcorn etc. There is no extortion involved. They offer you a product/service and if you accept the price you get it. If you don't accept it you don't get it.
    'Extortionate price' is usually just a term used to justify theft.

Simples.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,253Posts Today

5,879Users online

Martin's Twitter