Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 23rd Feb 10, 4:24 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    March 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 23rd Feb 10, 4:24 PM
    March 2010 Grocery Challenge 23rd Feb 10 at 4:24 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the third Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your February budget, then keep on posting in the February 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be 1 a week or 20 a week.

If you are currently spending 200 a month don't suddenly drop it to 100 - you'll never do it but if you cut 20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is 80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on 80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #4 and #5 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-02-2010 at 8:01 PM.
Page 27
  • Keiss 21
    A big spend day yesterday, but not on GC stuff...mainly pressies: birthday, Mothers' Day and "well-done", so not counted in this challenge.

Food-wise...spend a total of 79p on a tub of cherry tomatoes, though will will need to get more food next week (milk, F&V mainly).

I have been making an inventory of the freezers, fridge and cup-boards' contents this morning. I can then make meal plans for the rest of this month, as well as draw up a shopping list for the week to come. I am away next Thursday to Sunday, so need to make sure DH doesn't just "pop out for something"!

Have a frugal weekend everyone.

13 projects in 2013: 7/13
    Cross-stitch Club Member no 13
    Weight loss since 24/06/2012: 30lb
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 13th Mar 10, 1:23 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    1.87 spent in Lidl today - apples, carrots and kiwi fruit
    Grocery challenge - Nov: 52/100
    • ellemm
    • By ellemm 13th Mar 10, 2:04 PM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 51,810 Thanks
    ellemm
    Small spends today in A*di, T*sco & I*eland totalling 21.69.

Did also plan to get the toilet rolls & chicken from c*op as mentioned above but ran out of steam will go tomorrow.

Going to batch cook some mince for shepherd's pie, beef for steak pie and perhaps a gingerbread, will see how the energy levels are

ETA - Another 46 on to the total for today for a hunk of Scottish sirloin steak from M*kro but got 20 lovely steaks out of it so will last us for several months as only OH eats them.
    Last edited by ellemm; 13-03-2010 at 5:42 PM.

• NJW69
    • By NJW69 13th Mar 10, 2:22 PM
    • 827 Posts
    • 2,559 Thanks
    NJW69
    Spent 10 in Sainsburys yesterday. Two lots of 2 litres of milk, some sausage rolls, some pork pies. some barbeque ribs on whoopsie, two packs of 400g bacon and a large bar of Cadburys chocolate.
    GC Jan 318/350, Feb 221.84/300, Mar 200.00/250 Apr 201.05/200 May 199.61/200 June 17.25/200

NSD Feb 23/12 NSD Mar 20/20 NSD Apr 24/20
    May 24/24
    • Sunnyday
    • By Sunnyday 13th Mar 10, 3:25 PM
    • 3,892 Posts
    • 34,008 Thanks
    Sunnyday
    Hi all,

i see that everyone is having small spends today

Mines a big bigger than i thought that it would be at 19.68 I thought that it would be around 15 but there were a couple of things that i don`t want to run out of so i`ve stocked up a bit.

Last week when DH went to MrM there was no pearl barley on the shelf and when he asked if they had any he was told that they had stopped selling it. This week when i went there was loads so i`ll bet the lazy so and so that he asked didn`t want to go and look never mind as i`ve plenty in now. I almost went to MrA instead as i needed it this week but Dad wanted me to take him to MrM so i did the shop there.

Off to update siggy now.

SD
    Planning on starting the GC again soon
  • Long tall sally
    And yet another spend - the 2nd today. I actually forced myself to go to the gym in the hope that it would wake me up a bit & revitilise me (hasn't happened, I don't think!) and as it near town I walked in & stocked up on the toilet rolls, chocolate bars & milk from Farm Foods plus some veg from the market.
    I definitely need to do some baking tomorrow because I now have a huge bag of bananas for 1 and the banana loaf I made the other day was a hit with everyone (well not DSS but then they hardly like anything I make!).
    Grocery aim 450pm.Spent 519 August, 584 July, 544 June, 541 May, 549 April, 517 March, 517 Feb,555 Jan, 573 Dec, 465Nov, 561Oct, 493Sept, 426Aug,496 Jul, 528Jun, 506May,498April, 558 March, 500Feb, 500 Jan, 490 Dec, 555 Nov,566 Oct, 505Sept, 450Aug, 410 July, 437 June, 491 May, 471 April, 440 March, 552Feb, 462Jan
    • Welsh Poppy
    • By Welsh Poppy 13th Mar 10, 3:54 PM
    • 980 Posts
    • 5,912 Thanks
    Welsh Poppy
    Hello NSD about 3 this week but went to Mr T for flavored water and eggs yesterday so 5.25
    Mr M yesterday 2 bags sugar for 1.50
    Mr Lidl today as mum tipped us that fruit and veg cheap and it was we got garlic, pears,,kiwi fruits,6 mangoesyum yum, lemons, spring onions and an aubergine all for 7.00
    Back to Mr M for a few bits I needed for baking and ratatoue 8.94
    Just off to update sig
    In the oven bara brith and butterfly cakes and rat all made
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January 150/175
    Feb 150/
  • lizzyshep
    Well, we're nearly half way through March and so far I've only spent 22.43 on groceries - even more incredible is that this week's spend came in at a grand total of 3.39! Obviously I have a lot of food in the house, plus I've got two parents evenings at work this week, so they will feed me, but I never thought I'd do this well. Just shows what can happen if you put your mind to it! If I keep this up, I will be saving about 400 a year based on what I was spending before, which is good news
    April Grocery Challenge: 80/64.39
    March No Spend Days: 15/7
    • Maisie M
    • By Maisie M 13th Mar 10, 5:40 PM
    • 1,520 Posts
    • 14,557 Thanks
    Maisie M
    well weekly shop completed today and it came to 24.21. Hoping I don't need anything else this week.

Baking potatos are 4 for 50p at the moment in tesco if anyone is interested. They make a nice cheap and tasty tea for me and ds with chilli, savoury mince or curry yum yum, so a good buy for us.

• guccigoo
    • By guccigoo 13th Mar 10, 6:53 PM
    • 467 Posts
    • 5,112 Thanks
    guccigoo
    all i bought today was a baguette cos we had the beef stew that i froze in the week
    I will lose 2 stone by this summer!!!!!!
    • ragz
    • By ragz 13th Mar 10, 7:13 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    26 spend in Tesco. Didn't do a full shop though, DH was waiting in the car with kids and baby so didn't want to leave them long!
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
    • ragz
    • By ragz 13th Mar 10, 7:17 PM
    • 3,153 Posts
    • 27,335 Thanks
    ragz
    In the oven bara brith Yum, I remember this from my days in Wales, recipe please??!! and butterfly cakes and rat all made
    Originally posted by Welsh Poppy
    Typo or code??
    Though I may need a recipe for rat soon as I told DH he could only use his Air Rifle to shoot things we will eat but he keeps mentioning people needing pest control for rats so I think I'll regret that...
    Ragz is busy studying
    Progress is easier to acheive than perfection.
    • Moniker
    • By Moniker 13th Mar 10, 7:54 PM
    • 626 Posts
    • 9,607 Thanks
    Moniker
    Hi Moniker

This is the recipe I use for cornflake cakes:

110g bar chocolate
    2 heaped tblsps golden syrup
    2oz margerine
    4oz cornflakes
    1oz coconut (optional)

Melt the butter, syrup and choc and then add cornflakes and coconut if using.

HTH

XS x
    Originally posted by XSpender
    Thanks - this is similar to one I found on the internet which worked well. We were blessed with sunny and relatively warm weather so my cake stall went well - we have raised 73 so far and I have a few fairy cakes and hob-nob biscuits to take into work on Monday so hopefully we'll get a bit more.

We had Italian chicken tonight ( roasted with rosemary, and served with sauteed potatoes -done in olive oil and more rosemary- and courgettes and sweet corn). We had good appetites as we managed to do our 20 lengths at the local pool. We are not fitness addicts but are trying to be good and stay fit. Sadly my athritis is playing up and I found it hard to finish - I have been shifting a lot of books at work as we are being OFSTEDed next week and I wanted everything to be tidy! Actually the library isn't being inspected but they might decide to have a look!

Am looking forward to being taken out for lunch tomorrow by my DH for Mothering Sunday and relaxing a bit! (Though MIL is coming too so will have to be on my best behaviour!)

Off to finish catching up with the posts. Have a good evening all.

Moniker
    • slowandsteady
    • By slowandsteady 13th Mar 10, 8:18 PM
    • 386 Posts
    • 3,289 Thanks
    slowandsteady
    Another little spend today of 8 odd on coleslaw for the pizzas tonight, some Aldi diet coke, cucumber & tomatoes, apples, buns & rice puddings. Might do some more baking tomorrow. Made a lovely gluten free banana loaf the other day which tasted completely normal!

Slowandsteady - hope you had a good time at the greyhound racing. My OH & I went the other weekend to Nottingham & had a great night. Even after entrance, bets, drinks & a curry afterwards, we still cleared about 25 profit so hope you were as lucky.
    Originally posted by Long tall sally
    Thanks for the good luck wishes lol, we didn't do badly! We have been going as a family for years, something my dad used to do with his dad as a youngster, I believe the Belle Vue stadium in Manchester where we go, has been there a long time, my dad is 65yrs old now so must have been there a bit. My dad normally takes about 8 each off me and my sister and 8 off himself and has a flutter with that, and he is so 'good' at it, iykwim that we always win a few pounds back, don't know how he makes it stretch though! Its either free to get in or i download a voucher to take costing 1 for two people admission so not a bad do! its fun too, i hardly ever spend quality time with my dad and sister, so i love going there altogether just us three x
    • Welsh Poppy
    • By Welsh Poppy 13th Mar 10, 8:20 PM
    • 980 Posts
    • 5,912 Thanks
    Welsh Poppy
    recipe for bara brith
    Typo or code??
    Though I may need a recipe for rat soon as I told DH he could only use his Air Rifle to shoot things we will eat but he keeps mentioning people needing pest control for rats so I think I'll regret that...
    Originally posted by ragz
    haha sorry rat is code for ratatouie....although I have spelt it wrong hence shortened name

it was my first time making bara Brith and Hubby said it was perfect I made 18 thin slices at 112 cals a slice and cost under 10p a slice

Bara brith teabread

8oz dried fruit and chopped mixed peel
    8fl oz cup of hot strong tea(made with teabag)
    8oz SR flour
    1tsp mixed spice
    1oz butter(I use soya marg as veggie)
    100g soft brown sugar
    1 egg beaten

put fruit in bowl and pour over the hot tea.Cover and leave to stand at room temperature for a few hours or over night.

pre heat oven at gas mark 4.grease and line with baking paper a loaf tin.

Sift flour and mixing spice into large mixing bowl. add butter and rub in with fingers until like breadcrumbs.

Stir in sugar, then fruit and the liquid along with the beaten egg and mix with your hands until it is a nice texture.

Pour into your tin and cook for around an hour put test after an hour with skewer mine took 75 mins but think my cooker is acting up.

leave to cool and then slice and enjoy yum yum yum
    Weight loss challenge 66lb to go /59lb's lost

Grocery Budget January 150/175
    Feb 150/
    • vodkawitch1
    • By vodkawitch1 13th Mar 10, 8:27 PM
    • 1,000 Posts
    • 4,668 Thanks
    vodkawitch1
    12.00 spent today on rubbish really - magazines/sweets bread milk and a cake, not happy with myself at all! 38.85 to last till end of month. Cupboards and freezer full I just struggle not to go to the shops.
    Make 2 a day challenge - doing well so far.
  • WelshWoofer
    Managed to spend 54 in Mr S today - was a bit of a shock as I thought it would be more like 40 - hmmm...

With one more Big Shop to go I'm definitely not going to be on budget this month
    January grocery spending - 82.73/ 120
    • MoneyQueen
    • By MoneyQueen 13th Mar 10, 10:54 PM
    • 907 Posts
    • 4,205 Thanks
    MoneyQueen
    I have spent more money today and most of it was on rubbish - Sweets/ Crisps etc...

Though I went to Aldi for the first time today and bought their super 6. Really good value

MQ
    • LINKYPIE2009
    • By LINKYPIE2009 14th Mar 10, 7:26 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 1,750 Thanks
    LINKYPIE2009
    300 for me please - although already 176.93 spent.....
    • notjustlaura
    • By notjustlaura 14th Mar 10, 7:27 AM
    • 546 Posts
    • 5,992 Thanks
    notjustlaura
    Yesterday was a NSD which feels very odd - like other have said, I find it hard not to go to the shops, whether virtual or brick.

Today may be another. My mum and dad are coming for afternoon tea and, if my banana loaf turns out OK, I shouldn't have to buy anything for them. If the loaf's a disaster (am experimenting with using sweetener instead of sugar) then I shall have to get something for them to eat!

Just remembered - I did do an online Tesco shop yesterday but that will come out of April budget which starts on the 15th (ie tomorrow) and I'll update my sig when I have my till receipt. The delivery is Tuesday.

Best Mother's Day wishes to everyone.
    Household: Laura + William-cat
    Not Buying It in 2015
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,782Posts Today

7,337Users online

Martin's Twitter