Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 23rd Feb 10, 4:24 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    March 2010 Grocery Challenge
    • 23rd Feb 10, 4:24 PM
    March 2010 Grocery Challenge 23rd Feb 10 at 4:24 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the third Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your February budget, then keep on posting in the February 2010 Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #4 and #5 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!
    Last edited by Pink.; 28-02-2010 at 8:01 PM.
Page 2
    • SunnyGirl
    • By SunnyGirl 1st Mar 10, 5:51 AM
    • 2,630 Posts
    • 32,816 Thanks
    SunnyGirl
    Good morning. Huge thanks to Pink, Mrs Macawber & Rosieben for keeping the thread running nicely along

Just updating with my first March spends which DH has already been out for this morning - milk & dog food at £2.20. I thought I had some uht milk in the pantry to tide us over but I didn't. It's on this weeks shopping list though.

Good luck to everyone this month
    A G&T a day keeps the doctor away
    • bargainhunterss
    • By bargainhunterss 1st Mar 10, 5:53 AM
    • 715 Posts
    • 6,779 Thanks
    bargainhunterss
    Many thanks to all who help with the running of this challenge
    Originally posted by cw18
    Here here!
    Too many people spend money they earned..to buy things they don't want..to impress people that they don't like...

"Every time you borrow money, you're robbing your future self."

Every pound we spend is a vote for the sort of world we want
    • skilly
    • By skilly 1st Mar 10, 6:28 AM
    • 882 Posts
    • 10,225 Thanks
    skilly
    hi,please can i be put down for march £350.i have notice that i am not on this list this time :-(
    27 Sealed pot challenge 3£496/4£706.75/5 £376.74/6 £645.08/ 7 £861.34 /8 £786.90/9£610.49/10 £722.03 / 11? / gold star from sue
  • JayJay14
    Good Morning,

Thanks to the usual suspects for this shiny new thread - I just hope can get a grip in March cos I haven't been doing a much as I could (having OH at home all day doesn't help, though he tries to be good about snacks).

Onwards and upwards I think......
    • nickynoo08
    • By nickynoo08 1st Mar 10, 7:19 AM
    • 1,835 Posts
    • 17,030 Thanks
    nickynoo08
    Morning all
    Can you put me down for £110 for march please
    Not looking forward to my food budget this month, 1 its tighter than normal and it's a slightly longer month and 2 OH is on his hols meaning more food being consumed. Not that he's a pig just a constant snacker, i'll have to 'find' some jobs for him to do to keep him occupied
    Debt 1 £1111.23 0% until March 19 pay by xmas 0/1111.23
    Debt 2 £2100 0% until August 19
    Debt 3 £2161.86 0% until August 19
    Debt 4 £1846.98 0% until December 19
    Saving for xmas 5/120
    1 debt at a time! We can do this!!
    • barneydee
    • By barneydee 1st Mar 10, 7:53 AM
    • 298 Posts
    • 2,361 Thanks
    barneydee
    Hi
    for the past three months since before Christmas I have taken my eye of the ball so things have slipped a bit and finances have suffered.I am going to do two challenges this month, the grocery challenge and I want to eat healthy and start to loss weight, I need to loss about five stones, by doing the grocery challenge and cooking from scratch I should cut out all the rubbish food I eat thus loss weight so can you put me down for £250.00

Thanks
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 1st Mar 10, 8:00 AM
    • 16,922 Posts
    • 144,912 Thanks
    JackieO
    Good Morning everyone, and welcome to a brand new month of saving our hard earned cash,and happy St Davids Day to all our Welsh chums.I love a new month, and before me stretches a new challenge over the next 31 days.I have declared at £120 for March, and was well within this in February I am happy to say.So its turning out the cupboards and freezer this week and making new menus to use up all the bits that I can.I seem to have a large stash of sardines in one of my cupboards ( a friend gave me 9 tins plus 9 tins of pichards,I think she was just having a declutter too) that I am determined to work down this month so any ideas or recipes would be welcome.
    Cheers Chum onwards and upwards
    Last edited by JackieO; 01-03-2010 at 8:02 AM.
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus.
  • Trinny
    Morning everyone

Please put me down for £160 again I will get there!

If i can just keep OH out of the shops

Trin
    "Not everything that COUNTS can be counted; and not everything that can be counted COUNTS"
    GC - May £39.47/£55. June £47.20/£50. July £38.44/£50
    NSD - May 16/17. June 16/17. July 14/17
    No new toiletries til stash used up challenge - start date 01/2010 - still going!
    £2 Savers Club member No 93 - getting ready for Christmas 2011
    • Julie67
    • By Julie67 1st Mar 10, 8:23 AM
    • 2,348 Posts
    • 21,245 Thanks
    Julie67
    Can I join please. This is the first month I have done any challenges.

Can I start with £400 I will hopefully go under this but it is what I usually spend when I am not being more careful, plus have a couple of birthdays this month.

Thanks
    Started Self Managed DMP 10th May 2017.
    Working hard to get rid of our debt.
  • andrinaperry
    I would like to go for £300 this month please

A
    January - nsd 10/20 grocery 153/400
    • chocolatebum
    • By chocolatebum 1st Mar 10, 8:52 AM
    • 313 Posts
    • 2,228 Thanks
    chocolatebum
    ok i spent £110 on my weekly shop, but that included easter eggs and dishwasher tablets that were on special
    DEBT
    31/12/2018 - £21,740.10
    31/01/2019 - £21,339.60 (1.84% PD) 31/07/2019 - £19,075.92 (12.25% PD)
    28/02/2019 - £21,398.62 (1.57% PD) 31/08/2019 - £18,640.87 (14.26% PD)
    31/03/2019 - £20,961.72 (3.58% PD) 30/09/2019 - £18,235.52 (16.12% PD)
    30/04/2019 - £20,616.12 (5.17% PD)
    31/05/2019 - £20,058.18 (7.74% PD)
    30/06/2019 - £19,642.76 (9.65% PD)
    DFD OCT 2022 JUN 2022 MAY 2022

Declutter challenge 2019 in 2019: 110/2019
    PDBXmas19 #49 1681.92/6740
    • ellemm
    • By ellemm 1st Mar 10, 9:01 AM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 51,810 Thanks
    ellemm
    Spent £2 in P*undland yesterday - bag of onion sets and 10 Maris Peer seed potatoes. They looked pretty healthy so thought I would try them. They also had lots of veg seeds.

I have saved some seed potatoes from last years crops so will maybe think of getting them chitting although it's a bit early here in Scotland.

I was moderately pleased with the crops I grew last year so certainly worth a try again, didn't have to buy onions or potatoes for ages and they tasted so much better and lasted longer.

Not making much progress on clearing the freezer as I just seem to keep adding more cooked meals - got 6 portions of lasagne out of 700g of mince - we ate 2 last night, I will have another tonight and the other 3.......had to go in the freezer. Hey ho, won't go hungry for the rest of the month .

• hart44
    • By hart44 1st Mar 10, 9:39 AM
    • 1,683 Posts
    • 10,452 Thanks
    hart44
    Hi everyone .

I promised last month to have a look at what I was spending and just be a lurker till this month now I can I come in this month (and the months after).

I sent £206.97 last month which was good for me

So this month I would like to try off with £250 as I have some birthdays to cover and DD is doing some things at GCSE cooking that we would not normally buy but she does bring the food back home and we can use some things for a meal .
    Getting myself sorted 1 day/1thing at a time and Love sewing
    "Sewing fills my days,
    not to mention the living room, bedroom, and closets."
    ~ Author Unknown
    • S_Wales_Saver
    • By S_Wales_Saver 1st Mar 10, 10:31 AM
    • 240 Posts
    • 2,596 Thanks
    S_Wales_Saver
    Mornin all

A mammoth shop today cos I'm trying to keep out of the shops for little spends which I think are my downfall. So I have menu planned for all of March, and made a shopping list that bought all I could ahead. The theory is that only F&V, milk and bread will need to be bought. I think it may work well (but it could be a disaster lol) OH has been told NOT to shop unless insructed lol (he always thinks he'd better buy things "in case")

So I spent £36.28 in Mr As, £69.07 in Mr S, £20.35 in M&S, £10.17 in L**l, £3.76 in A**i and £0.90 in I**land (milk using DDs coupons for her'n me so we make sure they're used in time. I'll buy her milk after that)

A grand total of £135.53 leaving less than half of the total and it's only the first day . Well we'll see...
    Dor
  • elizabunny
    Hello Everyone, what a lovely sunny morning and a lovely new thread. Thanks to Pink, Mrs McC and Rosieben for all your hard work and keeping things running so smoothly.

Please can I declare that I have spent £346.86 so far from my Annual Budget. I need to be very frugal this month .....that will make a changeStill I've made a good start and have a lovely Veggie Soup in my pressure cooker and a loaf baking in the BM.

I noticed co-*p are selling a litre bottle of extra virgin olive oil for £2.50p at the moment which I think is a great buy. HTH someone.

Have a lovely day everyone and good luck with the March Challenge!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 7 Member 022
    5:2 Diet started 28/1/2013 only 13lbs lost due to Xmas 2013 blip.
    • winterfrost
    • By winterfrost 1st Mar 10, 11:00 AM
    • 95 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    winterfrost
    Going out to do the shopping in a minute - ingredients for this week's shared lunch I do with my housemate.

I was wondering - lots of people seem to buy enormous bags of potatoes that last them 6 weeks. When I buy potatoes, they have little eyes within a few days and start to go soft. I buy 7 days' worth at a time and wouldn't be keen on eating them after that. How do you store them to make them last that long?
    GC: December: £145?/£120; January: £125.70/£120; February: £163.22/£120; March £113.94/£120; April £DOOM; May £Gave up; June £DOOM; July £160.78/£108; August £7.65/£200
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2010: member 780
  • 83rachel
    can i declair i spent £4.83 so far, i actually used a milk token so its less but its still groceries so i am adding it. the woman in the shop was really annoyed that i wanted to use a milk token when there was a que.

• catznine
    • By catznine 1st Mar 10, 11:28 AM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    Day 1 and I have already spent £34.60 out of the £150 allowed for March!yikes! I do now have a huge supply of canadian frozen prawns, flora marge, mango chutney, dried cranberries, dried apricots and yogurt. I've been to Costco!

On Wednesday I will have the organic box delivery, another £11.95, not had one for a month now so need it. According to the website it has leeks, parsnips and potatoes in (soup!) cabbage and carrots (stir fry) apples (crumble) bananas (fritters) and mandarins. Other than that all we need is milk for dh.

I have the slowcooker full of bottom of the fridge and country mix soup, some for tonight and lots for the freezer. I've started off some mung beans to sprout ready for a prawn stir fry at the end of the week. Now to menu plan for the rest of the week/month.

I've given up crisps for Lent and am missing them, so when it gets difficult I'm going to make some more easy cheese biscuits.

4oz grated cheese
    4oz plain flour
    4oz margerine/butter

Mix together, add a tiny amount of mixed herbs or black pepper/cayenne pepper if you like. Roll out on a floured board and cut into shapes. Bake at 180C for about 10 mins until golden brown.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
  • 83rachel
    i keep hearing about these veg boxes. are they good value for money?

• catznine
    • By catznine 1st Mar 10, 11:50 AM
    • 3,187 Posts
    • 24,544 Thanks
    catznine
    i keep hearing about these veg boxes. are they good value for money?
    Originally posted by 83rachel
    Hello! Yes for me they are as I am trying to eat as well and organically as I can (have cfs/me) abel and cole have never let me down, always very good quality, also nice to have them delivered to the door. I am sure if you shopped at the right time to get the whoopsies at the supermarkets or shopped from the markets you would get cheaper though.
    Our days are happier when we give people a bit of our heart rather than a piece of our mind.

Jan grocery challenge £35.77/£120
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

749Posts Today

6,463Users online

Martin's Twitter