Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    Former MSE Penelope
    'Should Hilary buy Chelsea's fags for her?' Money Moral Dilemma
    • 23rd Feb 10, 5:15 PM
    'Should Hilary buy Chelsea's fags for her?' Money Moral Dilemma 23rd Feb 10 at 5:15 PM
    As it's MSE's 7th Birthday we decided to dig out our first ever MMD to get your fresh views on it:

Should Hilary buy Chelsea's fags for her?

Hilary is nipping off to Spain for a long weekend; her daughter Chelsea wants her to buy 40 packets of cigarettes as they're a fraction of the price over there and she'll save serious cash. Yet Hilary hates smoking and especially the fact Chelsea smokes in the house where her 5 year old son (and Hilary's grandson) little Bill lives; however if she doesn't buy them Chelsea will buy them elsewhere and they'll be much more costly.

Enter the Money Moral Maze: Should Hilary buy Chelsea's fags for her?

Page 1
  • hlcarroll
    • 23rd Feb 10, 10:32 PM
    • 23rd Feb 10, 10:32 PM
    Yes she should buy them, and tell her daughter to spend the extra money on her son! Why waste the extra money? x
    'Patience is a virtue till we die.
    Then a ripple in the water caught my eye'
    Mrs Jason Orange.
    Getting organized and thrifty for christmas 2010!
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 23rd Feb 10, 10:34 PM
    • 26,653 Posts
    • 56,752 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 23rd Feb 10, 10:34 PM
    • 23rd Feb 10, 10:34 PM
    No, why would you "treat" a loved one to someting that is bad for them??! If Chelsea wants to waste her cash on fags rather than spend responsibly on her child then that is her choice.
  • tjramage
    • 23rd Feb 10, 10:41 PM
    Buy them. Then sell them back off to her at a cheaper price than UK retail stores but more than you bought them for. Everyone's a winner
  • thefire
    No way
    I always get people asking me to buy them cigarettes when I go abroad.

I refused every time.

Let them pay the UK tax so the system at least gets some money in to it to pay for all the health problems they will get later on in life
  • clarinette
    • 23rd Feb 10, 10:49 PM
    • 23rd Feb 10, 10:49 PM
    How about making a deal - buy her the cigarettes on the condition that she stops smoking in the house (ie around the child) PERMANENTLY
  • Cornopean
    • 23rd Feb 10, 10:53 PM
    • 23rd Feb 10, 10:53 PM
    IIRC you can only import tobacco for your own personal consumption. So, selfish Chelsea's smoking habits aside, it would be illegal for Hilary to bring them back for her. A simple but genuine reason, hopefully preventing yet another argument on presumably a well-rehearsed theme.
  • keyholek8
    • 23rd Feb 10, 11:25 PM
    • 23rd Feb 10, 11:25 PM
    And who's to know that they aren't for Hilary's consumption. I'm with tjramage on this on. Sell them to her, though that in itself is illegal, but still once again who's to know. Either sell them to her at a slightly less than they are in the shops here and make her make a donation of the half the money she's saved to a cancer charity.
  • monopoly money
    • 23rd Feb 10, 11:26 PM
    • 23rd Feb 10, 11:26 PM
    As nice as it is for someone to bring back cheap tobacco from abroad, its illegal if its not for personal consumption.
    MM

(sorry missed this page, damn glasses)
    Last edited by monopoly money; 23-02-2010 at 11:28 PM.
    Reclaimed unfair charges on 5 credit cards, 1,800 got all my money plus 8% interest and court costs chuffed to bits! cheers Martin!
  • brightspark2
    No! Let her have the guilt of spending on cigs when she could spend it on her child - don't condone what you don't approve of!
  • monopoly money
    No! Let her have the guilt of spending on cigs when she could spend it on her child - don't condone what you don't approve of!
    Originally posted by brightspark2
    Hi, I totally agree with you, but... she may not be neglecting her child. but.... she shouldnt be subjecting her child to passive smoking.. childrens lungs are at their most vulnerable stage in infancy. and thats a crying shame.
    MM
    Reclaimed unfair charges on 5 credit cards, 1,800 got all my money plus 8% interest and court costs chuffed to bits! cheers Martin!
  • monopoly money
    [QUOTE=keyholek8
    godsake, wrote an epistle... this is what got posted.. rolls eyes.. going to bed and back tomorrow
    MM
    • leeparsons
    • By leeparsons 24th Feb 10, 12:24 AM
    • 45 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    leeparsons
    I think I would agree with that the condition, that you would bring them back, as long as you knew she wasnt smoking infront of the child. Atleast that way she would have more money to spend on her child.
    I think it would be slighly imorral to make a profit out of your own kid, just because of there habbit. You would then find your self in the position like a supermarket,shop. Trying to fleece your kid. Makes no sesne.
    Yes we all know smoking is bad for you. We also know there's allot of other things which arent great for you as well. Like the amount of pollution our transport gives off. Heavy industry, and even when we decide to burn the cows and sheep. Thats not going to have a positive effect as well.
  • anjak-j
    Hilary should bring her daughter back some nicotine patches so she can try giving up her nasty habit for the sake of her own health and that of her son.
    • relaxtwotribes
    • By relaxtwotribes 24th Feb 10, 9:11 AM
    • 256 Posts
    • 118 Thanks
    relaxtwotribes
    Let them pay the UK tax so the system at least gets some money in to it to pay for all the health problems they will get later on in life
    Originally posted by thefire
    Only problem with this is that the tax you pay now goes to meet the health problems of sick people now. When Chelsea (and Bill) get health problems later in life they'll probably have to pay for their own healthcare because the NHS will be mostly privatised (hopefully).
  • ajlennon
    No
    ... but yes, but....

If Hilary believes Chelsea shouldn't be smoking then Hilary undermines her position by aiding the smoking. Stands to reason she shouldn't buy her the fags.

Then again if Chelsea is trustworthy (ha - unlikely) and if Hilary secures an oath to only smoke outside the home (or similar improvement on the current smoking situation) then Hilary might feel that is enough of a step in the right direction to save Chelsea some money by buying the fags.

A side-problem I used to have is that if you buy all these cartons of fags you tend to get through them faster and by the time you run out you're on 40 a day instead of 20 a day.

That aside, if Hilary secures some kind of agreement this time around she can perhaps push it further next time around - "i'll get them if you promise to cut down to 10 a day" type of thing.
    • Paul_Herring
    • By Paul_Herring 24th Feb 10, 9:42 AM
    • 6,454 Posts
    • 3,169 Thanks
    Paul_Herring
    I always get people asking me to buy them cigarettes when I go abroad.

I refused every time.

Originally posted by thefire
    *some* money? UK smokers pay more than enough tax on their cigarettes to 'make up for' their NHS costs.

For example: http://underdogsbiteupwards.blogspot.com/2010/02/smoking-by-numbers.html
    How much does smoking cost the NHS? So many figures get bandied around that I'm never sure, but I think it's claimed to be about 3 billion, or under a third of the revenue take from cigarette sales.

Smoking cuts the risk of Alzheimer's. The study is about 20 years old and if I can find it, assuming it hasn't been expunged from history, I'll post a link. It could be due to nicotine's effects in the brain or it could simply be that fewer smokers get old enough to suffer it. Either is fine with me. If clinging to a few more years of life means thinking I'm a boiled egg and living in terror of teaspoons, I don't want it.

The thing is, dementia (including Alzheimer's) is soon going to cost the NHS 23 billion a year. Cancer costs 12 billion and heart disease 8 billion. That's all cancers and all heart disease, not just the much hyped 'smoking' ones. The smoking ones are around a tenth of that total.
    I'm getting rather sick and tired of all the anti-smoking hyperbole going on these days. Time to quit. The hyperbole that is.
    Conjugating the verb 'to be":
    -o I am humble -o You are attention seeking -o She is Nadine Dorries
    • Katie-Kat-Kins
    • By Katie-Kat-Kins 24th Feb 10, 9:46 AM
    • 1,681 Posts
    • 1,780 Thanks
    Katie-Kat-Kins
    No she shouldn't buy them as it is condoning a habit she disaproves of.

And on to the legalities, it can only be legal if they are a gift, if she sells them to Chelsea it is illegal - and what an awful gift to give "here you go I bought you something that will kill you and your son!"
    • Primrose
    • By Primrose 24th Feb 10, 9:48 AM
    • 8,397 Posts
    • 29,517 Thanks
    Primrose
    No, why on earth should you encourage a loved one to indulge in a habit which will probably end up causing them to die a horrible death from cancer?
  • Cerisa
    No, it would be completely hypocritical.
    1600 overdraft
    100 Christmas Fund
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,494Posts Today

9,372Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Are you an overdraft prisoner? How to escape it! My new blog on ways to get rid of your overdraft... https://t.co/KbJwbWLFQI

• RT @bbc5live: .@MartinSLewis joins @annaefoster from midday to answer your money saving questions. ???? 08085 909 693 ???? 85058 Or post your q?

• Follow Martin