Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Guy
    • By MSE Guy 22nd Feb 10, 9:56 AM
    • 1,628Posts
    • 1,255Thanks
    MSE Guy
    MSE News: Carers offered help to build state pension entitlement
    • 22nd Feb 10, 9:56 AM
    MSE News: Carers offered help to build state pension entitlement 22nd Feb 10 at 9:56 AM
    This is the discussion thread for the following MSE news story:

"The Government today urged those caring for a friend or relative to use a new scheme to build up their state pension entitlement ..."

Page 1
    • earthmother
    • By earthmother 22nd Feb 10, 1:52 PM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    earthmother
    • 22nd Feb 10, 1:52 PM
    • 22nd Feb 10, 1:52 PM
    I was told that whilst receiving Carers Allowance, I'd also get HRP (or at least would have if I hadn't already been getting it through the Child Benefit), and that would take care of my state pension - is this not then the case?
    DFW Nerd no. 884 - Proud to be dealing with have dealt with my debts
    • seven-day-weekend
    • By seven-day-weekend 22nd Feb 10, 1:59 PM
    • 32,473 Posts
    • 64,312 Thanks
    seven-day-weekend
    • 22nd Feb 10, 1:59 PM
    • 22nd Feb 10, 1:59 PM
    I thought that was the case too.......

However under the new rules which come into force on April 6th, carers/parents in receipt of Child Benefit or Carers' Allowance will get NI credits rather than HRP.

Also, this bit appears to be different:

What if I don't receive a carer's allowance?

From 6 April 2010, a new system of credits will help parents and carers build up entitlement to a State Pension.

If you spend over 20 hours a week looking after an elderly or disabled person you should be eligible for the credits.

However, it is important that the person you are looking after has their need for care certified by a health or social care professional. Without this proof, you are unlikely to be able to claim.
    Last edited by seven-day-weekend; 22-02-2010 at 2:07 PM.
    Member #10 of 2 savers club
    Imagine someone holding forth on biology whose only knowledge of the subject is the Book of British Birds, and you have a rough idea of what it feels like to read Richard Dawkins on theology: Terry Eagleton
    • earthmother
    • By earthmother 22nd Feb 10, 4:46 PM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    earthmother
    • 22nd Feb 10, 4:46 PM
    • 22nd Feb 10, 4:46 PM
    Thanks - I won't get it then - I'm a full-time carer, but DHs social worker will never put down more than 16 hrs for me on any carers assessment, even though she agrees with me when discussing the care needs verbally (call me cynical, but it appears to be because if I officially cared for more than 16 hours, I'd be entitled to a carer's grant once a year to help with jobs/household maintenance and respite breaks).
  • DX2
    • 23rd Feb 10, 6:52 AM
    • 23rd Feb 10, 6:52 AM
    I was told that whilst receiving Carers Allowance, I'd also get HRP (or at least would have if I hadn't already been getting it through the Child Benefit), and that would take care of my state pension - is this not then the case?
    Originally posted by earthmother
    Yes that is the case they are just replacing HRP with the new credits.
    Changes from April 2010 for parents and carers

Home Responsibilities Protection is being replaced for people reaching State Pension age on or after 6 April 2010.
    From 6 April 2010, parents and carers will be able to build up qualifying years through new weekly credits for the basic State Pension and additional State Pension. If you are a parent or carer, you will get a credit for each week in which you:
    • are getting Child Benefit for children aged under 12
    • are an approved foster carer
    • are caring for at least 20 hours a week for people who are getting Attendance Allowance, the middle-rate or highest-rate care component of Disability Living Allowance, or Constant Attendance Allowance, or the need for care has been certified
    Some of the detail around these changes is subject to further parliamentary approval.
    There will be no limit to the credits awarded to parents and carers after April 2010, as long as you meet the qualifying rules.
    If you reach State Pension age on or after 6 April 2010, complete tax years of Home Responsibilities Protection you have already built up before 2010 will be converted into qualifying years up to a maximum of 22 years.These qualifying years will also count towards bereavement benefits.
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/MoneyTaxAndBenefits/BenefitsTaxCreditsAndOtherSupport/Caringforsomeone/DG_10018691
  • DX2
    • 23rd Feb 10, 6:55 AM
    • 23rd Feb 10, 6:55 AM
    Thanks - I won't get it then - I'm a full-time carer, but DHs social worker will never put down more than 16 hrs for me on any carers assessment, even though she agrees with me when discussing the care needs verbally (call me cynical, but it appears to be because if I officially cared for more than 16 hours, I'd be entitled to a carer's grant once a year to help with jobs/household maintenance and respite breaks).
    Originally posted by earthmother
    Do you get CA?
    • SingleSue
    • By SingleSue 23rd Feb 10, 8:33 AM
    • 10,528 Posts
    • 59,737 Thanks
    SingleSue
    • 23rd Feb 10, 8:33 AM
    • 23rd Feb 10, 8:33 AM
    Ok, this is going to sound really silly (especially as I have been an official carer for many years) but what on earth is a carers grant?
    We made it! One graduated, 2 currently at university, been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk!
    • earthmother
    • By earthmother 23rd Feb 10, 10:33 AM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    earthmother
    • 23rd Feb 10, 10:33 AM
    • 23rd Feb 10, 10:33 AM
    DX2 - yes I do - having re-read the links, I should still get the NI contributions shouldn't I (that'll teach me to speed read).

SingleSue - the Carer's Grant (called Take A Break here, but I don't know if that's just the local name) is a grant direct from Social Services intended to help the carer rather than the cared-for - it can be used to fund a respite break (with or without the cared-for), or to pay for labour for jobs that, because of caring duties, may be hard for the carer to do, such as decorating, house/garden maintenance etc. It's a tiered scheme based on hours of care provided, and a maximum of 250 a year here. It's a limited pot, so you aren't guaranteed it, but it can be very useful. You provide receipts for the work done at the end of the year, and any funds not spent or not used for allowed items have to be repaid.

It was fluke that I found out about it - I came across the term on a council web-page about help for carers and asked DHs SW - she'd never thought to mention it in the years she'd been dealing with us, even though she'd known I could have done with the help at times. Up to that point she'd always agreed that I gave full-time care, but the two times she's completed the grant form for me, she's always puts me on the lowest care hours possible.
    • SingleSue
    • By SingleSue 23rd Feb 10, 1:18 PM
    • 10,528 Posts
    • 59,737 Thanks
    SingleSue
    • 23rd Feb 10, 1:18 PM
    • 23rd Feb 10, 1:18 PM
    Thanks for that.....never been mentioned to me either and that has been after complaining about lack of respite (I have no respite whatsoever), not enough time to get decorating done etc!
    We made it! One graduated, 2 currently at university, been hard work but it shows there is a possibility of a chance of normal (ish) life after a diagnosis (or two) of ASD. It's not been the easiest route but I am so glad I ignored everything and everyone and did my own therapies with them.
    Eldests' EDS diagnosis 4.5.10, mine 13.1.11 eekk!
    • earthmother
    • By earthmother 23rd Feb 10, 5:40 PM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 5,459 Thanks
    earthmother
    It might be worth asking your local SS about it - they run to a financial year, so if you get the forms now, you could submit them mid-April ready for the new funds being released.

Off post - I take it from your sig that it's hypermobility that you are dealing with - same here - DH and all 3 boys have it to varying degrees - so I understand some of what you may have been dealing with.
  • karendb
    Hi - I've just found a useful number you can phone to get a Pension Forecast. 0191 213 5000. You'll need your NI number. They send you the forecast and let you know if you've got any shortfall etc.

Hope this helps.

Karen
    I would love to be lazy but can't find the time
  • DX2
    Might be cheaper to call the 0845 number
    State Pension forecasting team (part of The Pension Service)
    • Contact point
      State Pension forecasting team
    • Address
      Future Pension Centre
      Tyneview Park
      Whitley Road
      Newcastle upon Tyne
      NE98 1BA
    • Phone number
      0845 3000 168
      Typephone
      18001 0845 3000 168
    • Text phone
      0845 3000 169
    • Opening Hours
      Monday to Friday 8.00 am to 8.00 pm, Saturday 9.00 am to 1.00 pm
    http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Dl1/Directories/DG_180024
    • Blackpool_Saver
    • By Blackpool_Saver 3rd Mar 10, 7:06 PM
    • 5,981 Posts
    • 7,600 Thanks
    Blackpool_Saver
    Well, I just phoned to request a forecast, they wanted details about me being a carer and about my (years ago) marriage and divorce and my ex husbands DOB, during the call my son (the cared for) banged on the door and shouted his head off.

They are sending a forecast..........
    Blackpool_Saver is female

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,915Posts Today

6,158Users online

Martin's Twitter