Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Pink.
    • By Pink. 25th Jan 10, 1:10 PM
    • 17,431Posts
    • 40,365Thanks
    Pink.
    • 25th Jan 10, 1:10 PM
    25th Jan 10 at 1:10 PM
    Hello everyone,

Welcome to the second Grocery Challenge of 2010.

If your new month starts early feel free to join this thread, or if you're still working on your January budget, then keep on posting in the January Grocery Challenge

As always this challenge is to reduce your own grocery budget to levels that you will be pleased with, not forgetting that we always recommend that you stay inside your own comfort levels and take things gently one step at a time. Remember that this is not a competition....it's designed to take you and your grocery spending to a level you are happy with.

If you are new to the challenge I have quoted the advice from Galtizz below which will help you get started.

Please post into this thread for help and advice and support at any time. Good luck to everyone taking part!

I have said this before, but for all the newbies to the challenge;

For the first month I took a guess at the budget but I really had no idea how much I was spending.

I found the best thing is to have a guess the first month but SAVE ALL OF YOUR RECEIPTS (and yes, that does include the ones from the local shop when you run out of milk ), then at the end of the month add them all up and have a look if you were on budget, if not, it doesn't matter because your budget was a guess. For the next month you can use the total of your receipts and take a bit off to get a realistic budget, just shave off as much as you think you can, it could be £1 a week or £20 a week.

If you are currently spending £200 a month don't suddenly drop it to £100 - you'll never do it but if you cut £20 a month off for a few months you'll get there eventually without feeling you're missing out on anything.

You might think you've done everything you can in the first month but someone always comes up with a new idea and, if you try it you often find you save a bit more (unless you are SarahSaver who is an expert at this and could only save more if she turned her back garden into a paddy field and lived on rice ) In the first month I thought, I'm planning meals, I couldn't possibly save any more, but then I started double cooking and freezing, and making soup instead of buying it in tins.

I've been doing this since Feb but only saved ALL of my receipts last month, it has given me a much better idea of where it is all going. Budget for next month is £80 for 2 of us, I'll start on 30/4. I could probably save more, by eating different foods but I can afford to live on £80, I have saved a lot of money since Feb. and I don't waste food or money any more. So I'm happy with my budget.
    by Galtizz

For guidelines on posting in this thread please read the second post in this thread.

For everyone's targets and totals for the month please read posts #3 on this thread.

For the Grocery challenge Recipe Index please see posts #4 and #5 on this thread.

I hope everyone has a great month!
    Last edited by Pink.; 29-01-2010 at 8:34 AM.
Page 37
    • russetred
    • By russetred 16th Feb 10, 11:47 AM
    • 1,232 Posts
    • 9,385 Thanks
    russetred
    Thanks rosieben for more soup recipes.Ended up going for a cheats minestrone.

2 pints chicken stock
    1 onion
    2 garlic cloves crushed
    1 tin toms
    2 tbsps tom puree
    5 cooked little carrots chopped
    handful of cooked shredded cabbage
    4oz pasta shapes
    seasoning

Fry onion and garlic till soft then throw everything else in.Bring to the boil, wap the lid on and leave to simmer for 40 mins. Delish!
    "Sometimes life sucks....but the alternative is unacceptable."
  • WendysWorld
    Just posting a quick update! I usually only post about once a week when I've updated my MS Money program with all my spending....
    Anyway, spent £105 in Waitrose, £12 in the butcher and just over a tenner in a little local grocery store. However, this should get me through half-term and a little bit beyond...hopefully....

BM
    • winterfrost
    • By winterfrost 16th Feb 10, 3:29 PM
    • 95 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    winterfrost
    I have already gone over and there is still a week and a half to go! Argh. I did buy a lot of things in bulk last week, but still... February was always going to be expensive (I had a lot on), but this is not good. I will try harder in March! Sandwiches are what let me down... I'm always popping in to the shop for one.
    GC: December: £145?/£120; January: £125.70/£120; February: £163.22/£120; March £113.94/£120; April £DOOM; May £Gave up; June £DOOM; July £160.78/£108; August £7.65/£200
    Sealed Pot Challenge 2010: member 780
  • scotsaver
    Hi everyone - sorry I've been MIA for ages now, had computer problems so could only log on by using DD's laptop and so I was only reading/thanking posts and not posting messages or updating total.

I've updated my total now, still confident as my month only has 10 days to go and we are pretty well stocked up.

Got a chicken in the Slow cooker at the moment for tonights dinner, (shall reserve the stock to turn into Soup tomorrow), pudding tonight will of course be Pancakes.

Have a good evening everyone.
    "WASTE NOT, WANT NOT!"
    GC for OH, myself, DD18 & DD16 includes Toiletries, cleaning stuff & Food.

• Optimisticpair
    • By Optimisticpair 16th Feb 10, 4:40 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 1,854 Thanks
    Optimisticpair
    I spent another £19 in the co-op. I am acutely aware that our sending has gone up with the amount of snow we have had. Buying locally is about 30% more than buying at larger stores. I am way over my February budget now.
    Originally posted by poohbear59
    Aw dear.
    I know, you don't get much for £19 in co-op. I worked out it costs us an extra £7.00 in petrol to shop where it is better value so I go and bulk buy to stock up the fridge and freezer or the cupboards. What I save by bulk buying from further afield pays the extra petrol, there is more choice and the rest of the savings is a bonus.

So mid Feb breakdown is

All food, toiletries, cleaning and OH's magazine = £157.68 / £42.32 left.
    The fridge, freezer and cupboards are all full plus there is a small mountain of toilet roll stacked up in the loo. Enough for several months at half the cost of buying it locally. All we need for the rest of this month will be bread, milk, a bit of veg and OH's Sunday newspapers.

It tried snowing here again this lunchtime
    No longer half of Optimisticpair

• franby64
    • By franby64 16th Feb 10, 6:40 PM
    • 894 Posts
    • 10,920 Thanks
    franby64
    I've spent £16.12 today on chips (already had some in freezer ), sausages, cheese, apples, bananas, cabbage, eggs and rolls.
    Didn't need the eggs either but all the rolls got eaten and the fruit should last a couple of days.
    Now I really am going to go and do a freezer inventory - I can't afford to buy things I don't need now!
    £5.41 a day left
    Starting weight on 22/6 14st 00lbs. Weight on 15/2 10st 11lbs. Lost 3st 3lbs.Target 9st 12lbs. 13lbs left.
    • BigMummaF
    • By BigMummaF 16th Feb 10, 6:48 PM
    • 4,269 Posts
    • 32,002 Thanks
    BigMummaF
    ....justify buying a whole bottle of wine just for a recipe....
    Originally posted by ragz
    Just checked on line, cuz I forgot to look when I was there earlier, & MrA still do the 250ml bottles at under two quid each or three for £4.
    Full time Carer for Mum; harassed mother of three;
    loving & loved by two 4-legged babies.

• ellemm
    • By ellemm 16th Feb 10, 6:48 PM
    • 11,096 Posts
    • 51,810 Thanks
    ellemm
    £5.10 spent in Lidl today......only went in for a tub of Greek Yoghurt.....but at least it was reduced. Also picked up 3 large unwaxed lemons for 49p, 6 big salad tomatoes, 69p and a handful of shallots which were only 15p-well it would be rude not to

Updated signature - still well within budget.

• brodie1
    Thougt I had just brttrr post up my lateset total so all you who are laso nearly over budget feel at home My total is 199.01 so just have 99p left for the next 14 daysI know I will have to maybe get some more milk at FF, maybe dog and cat food and toothpaste. Hopefully though that wil be it.
    Have plenty sausages, some batch mince left,chicken, mattesons sausage, rice and pasta so theres lots of scope there, casseroles pizza, pasta bakes etc. I suppose all of us with massive toilet roll stores could maybe come up eith a recipie
    Anyway wish me luck with my 99p
    Brodie1
    Brodie 1/ july 300/330.62August300/322.49
    September 300/239.78Oct300/258.50Nov 250/282.24 December 300/300.01 JAN 2011 300/288.72 . September 300/319.19, October 300/351.59Three adults, 1 dog and 1 cats and cleaning stuff, toiletries, beer.
    • nicki
    • By nicki 16th Feb 10, 8:36 PM
    • 7,277 Posts
    • 88,247 Thanks
    nicki
    Well my budget is blown BUT I have a good sized pork joint to cook (£4.85), some different flavoured Ryvitas to try (£2.25) and 4 bags of Aldi's frozen fruit mixes (£5.16!) which will last a while. I really need to get on with the bulk cooking tomorrow as I now have no room in my fridge due to fresh fruit/veg most of which is whoopsied or Aldi deals

So with another 12 days to go my budget is standing at £136.34/£120 Won't be so bad next month when I'll hardly have to go to the shops as I'll be too busy working I am however going to go to a local asian supermarket on Thursday while I'm in that general direction so I know more will be spent but its mainly on some spices & lentils which should be cheaper than A*da and last me quite a while due to the quantity I'm hoping to buy them in
    Creeping back in for accountability after falling off the wagon in 2016.
    Need to get back to old style in modern ways, watching the pennies and getting stuff done!
    • freakyogre
    • By freakyogre 16th Feb 10, 8:51 PM
    • 1,454 Posts
    • 9,410 Thanks
    freakyogre
    £2.98 spend today on eggs, tv guide and some mini kievs that were on offer. Eggs were for pancakes, but didn't fancy them, so may make them another night instead.
    Grocery challenge - Nov: £52/£100
  • poppy-glos
    hi broadie 1, now there's an idea to 'pad out' menus for the rest of the month.

pleased to report another nsd here.
    nov grocery challenge, £.227.69/300, 9/25 nsd: , 7 Cmo, 10 egm.
    Me, 10 yo dd, and the dog. all food and drinks, in and out, plus household shopping.
    • elf06
    • By elf06 17th Feb 10, 5:20 AM
    • 1,498 Posts
    • 15,140 Thanks
    elf06
    Ok so another £11.63 spent last night. It did include 3 packs of 'real' scampi which were woopsies at £1.25 each and a magazine for my son who had been a sweetheart all day and deserved a little treat £2.45 .
    The other stuff was just bits and pieces that I had run out of like deoderant and things

Will go update my sig........
    Emma

Aug GC - £88.17/£130
    NSD - target 18 days, so far 5!!
  • MrsBsBlog
    Good morning, just a quick one. I have updated my sig, so hoping I will come under budget, although I did a BIG shop yesterday as the kids are now eating me out of house and home ( half term ). Just wondering if it`s going to last me now.
    Just thought i`d mention if anybody uses the fairy fabric conditioner concentrate 750ml, MrT has an offer 2 for £2.00, but if you just buy 1 it`s £2.05. Crazy or what, so you buy 2 for the price of 1 and get £2.10 back, there was only 2 left, so grabbed them pretty quick.
    Grocery Challenge 2010 £400 each month
    January £377.67 February £375.18 March £355.43
    April £506.23 May £381.04 June £88.58
    • monks
    • By monks 17th Feb 10, 8:15 AM
    • 159 Posts
    • 1,411 Thanks
    monks
    Dear all,hope everyone well
    Have been closely following everyones progress with interest and .
    This is my first gc and although well under at present and managed 10nsd so far, (which i thought would be impossible with half term) has made me feel quite anxious at times -hate not having big reserves of everything and bursting fridge etc just in case!
    Making me really look at why i am buying and have had hardly any waste at all!
    Just trying to control the need for a online big shop as only have 11 toilet rolls left instead of the average of about 40 help !
    Annual GC £3000- £1200

EF#176 - £1000/£1000
    Weight loss 5/10
    Clutter free challenge 465/2019
    • LINKYPIE2009
    • By LINKYPIE2009 17th Feb 10, 9:33 AM
    • 308 Posts
    • 1,727 Thanks
    LINKYPIE2009
    Morning all,

Still here but at MIL's so NSD on groceries so far.....
  • brodie1
    Dear all,hope everyone well
    Have been closely following everyones progress with interest and .
    This is my first gc and although well under at present and managed 10nsd so far, (which i thought would be impossible with half term) has made me feel quite anxious at times -hate not having big reserves of everything and bursting fridge etc just in case!
    Making me really look at why i am buying and have had hardly any waste at all!
    Just trying to control the need for a online big shop as only have 11 toilet rolls left instead of the average of about 40 help !
    Originally posted by monks
    Hi,
    loo rolls, Im worrying as I only have 28 left Glad Im not the only obessed one
    Brodie
    Brodie 1/ july 300/330.62August300/322.49
    September 300/239.78Oct300/258.50Nov 250/282.24 December 300/300.01 JAN 2011 300/288.72 . September 300/319.19, October 300/351.59Three adults, 1 dog and 1 cats and cleaning stuff, toiletries, beer.
  • rosieben
    I just found this easy recipe for brie burgers - in fact the whole thread is interesting and worth a look; I'll put the recipe in the front page list
    ... don't throw the string away. You always need string!

C.R.A.P.R.O.L.L.Z Head Sharpener
    • remmie
    • By remmie 17th Feb 10, 10:07 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 1,492 Thanks
    remmie
    Sorry I haven't been posting as much as I should have. I have got so wrapped up in this challenge and meal planning I'm forgetting this important thing.

So, some more shopping last week and this totalling £53.53, so I'm just within this months budget. The freezer is full but I know I'll have to get some more f & v, so may just go over. We'll see. All of this is an improvement on how I used to be. Used to have a full freezer and didn't fancy or couldn't be bothered to cook any of it so would go to the shops for something I fancied. Never used to keep a record of how much I spent (loads!!) so even if I go over a bit until I get used to it, it'll be better for me.

Another plus to all this is the saving on diesel. Our nearest supermarket is a nine mile round trip and I used to do this 3-4 times a week. Now I put £25 diesel in the car and it has to last the month.
    • franby64
    • By franby64 17th Feb 10, 10:10 AM
    • 894 Posts
    • 10,920 Thanks
    franby64
    Hi all
    Another £7.29 but I have made a proper meal plan up to Weds 24 Feb and will use up from there.
    All necessary stuff except a pack of C*op choc ices for kids.
    £5.24 per day left.
    No bargains - I rarely get bargains but I always go round both the local T*sco and C*op before I buy anything to make sure I get the cheapest!
    Starting weight on 22/6 14st 00lbs. Weight on 15/2 10st 11lbs. Lost 3st 3lbs.Target 9st 12lbs. 13lbs left.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

238Posts Today

3,475Users online

Martin's Twitter