Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
Page 1
    • Nile
    • By Nile 15th Feb 10, 5:12 PM
    • 14,406 Posts
    • 14,379 Thanks
    Nile
    • 15th Feb 10, 5:12 PM
    • 15th Feb 10, 5:12 PM
    I don't do facebook and I don't have any tattoos.
  • zena2105
    • 15th Feb 10, 5:25 PM
    • 15th Feb 10, 5:25 PM
    I don't do facebook and I don't have any tattoos.
    Originally posted by Nile
    You left a tattoo on here
    Reclaimed thanks to this site: £2596.71
    • JDPower
    • By JDPower 15th Feb 10, 6:02 PM
    • 1,587 Posts
    • 1,493 Thanks
    JDPower
    • 15th Feb 10, 6:02 PM
    • 15th Feb 10, 6:02 PM
    Giving yourself an image in a way that seems good when you’re younger, can be a dangerous decision that can be more significant than you realise on the long run
    Why? You are who you are and you should be big enough and honest enough to stand up for that, not be embarrassed by it. No-one's perfect and anyone who tries to portray otherwise is clearly just a dishonest person ashamed of who they are.
  • Binjons
    • 15th Feb 10, 6:12 PM
    • 15th Feb 10, 6:12 PM
    Even if one isn't personally embarrassed about their past actions, there remains the judgement of others to contend with, which is beyond our control. We all project a certain image to the outside world, which I would argue varies from situation to situation, this 'tattoo' has the potential power to remove an element of choice in how we are seen.
  • jayjayobrien
    • 15th Feb 10, 6:19 PM
    • 15th Feb 10, 6:19 PM
    i hate facebook but still always go on it hahaha
    DEBT
    Loans - £600
    Credit Card - £250
  • snugglepet20
    • 15th Feb 10, 8:37 PM
    • 15th Feb 10, 8:37 PM
    Ha ha maybe it will teach us not to be big hypocrites like our parents who were always polite and well-behaved, never got drunk and threw up out of their bedroom window and never-ever had sex before they were married!
  • SacreVert
    • 15th Feb 10, 9:02 PM
    • 15th Feb 10, 9:02 PM
    This is going to be a bigger and bigger problem as the internet age progresses. Imagine, in 10 or 20 years when the current facebook generation get into politics or public office. The prospective party leader had better not have posted pictures of him/herself pulling a moonie or boasting about how stoned they got at uni. The Sun/Mirror/News-of-the-World/scandal-sheet-of-your-choice would just love to print this alongside the other pictures of him/her semi-naked and puking in the gutter. Once posted this stuff is PUBLIC. Anyone with a bit of practice can get to just about anything on facebook or any of the other networking sites. Their attempts at privacy are pathetic and, following each change to their terms/site operation more of what you think is private is being exposed to open public scrutiny.

Remember, for finding stuff, even when you think that it has been deleted, Google is your friend

When you think that you have deleted the embarrassing photo from flickr or facebook - IT IS STILL THERE. These sharing sites are really bad at actually deleting the files. They just remove the reference address from your active list of pictures. If someone has the URL of the old picture then it normally works even after the owner thinks that he has deleted it.

Sorry to bang on about this but the information that the average facebook user posts on their pages is an identity thief's dream.
  • Mozette
    • 15th Feb 10, 9:23 PM
    • 15th Feb 10, 9:23 PM
    I've got a tattoo, but I don't do facebook, or any of the others of those sorts of things.
  • krazykidskate
    Who knows what will happen in the future.

Who would have thought that a photogaph taken on a camera 30 years ago (when you popped the film in an envelope and they took 3-5 days to process) would end up on the internet for all to see on a friends facebook page. Even Tim Berners-Lee couldn't have seen that coming.

Even sites like this where people think they are totally anonymous might all become available to read under your real identity at the click of a button in the future

At least people know to be more careful what they write on their facebook pages.

• timiano
    Is noro latin for man?
    • luvvlyjubbly
    • By luvvlyjubbly 15th Feb 10, 11:31 PM
    • 2,357 Posts
    • 2,649 Thanks
    luvvlyjubbly
    God I wish it was around in my teens, cos I can't remember half of it!!!!!
    Never put off until tomorrow what you can avoid doing altogether.
  • oakhouse13
    Since Facebook is well on the way to everyone taking part virtually, why will you be at a disadvantage because everyone's identity will be online. It will become odd not to have an online profile.

Not saying that is a good thing but I can't see younger people giving social media up.
    • beaujolais-nouveau
    • By beaujolais-nouveau 16th Feb 10, 9:48 AM
    • 633 Posts
    • 998 Thanks
    beaujolais-nouveau
    I do think that Facebook etc will inhibit personal development
    I am in my late fifties and very thankful that Internet social networking sites didn't exist when I was young and mixed up. Being on Facebook, posting personal stuff to the web (the Internet is forever, people), is - contradictory as it sounds - like living in a very small village (even if in the real world you live in the blessed anonymity of a city): thanks to your Facebook, personal blog, whatever, there will always be people who remember and can remind you of a moment of drunken stupidity, fiscal recklessness, an enraged indiscretion, a bad decision made in panic, a disastrous infatuation, needy whining, or the rantings of grief or transient mental illness. Or even use it against you, exploit or pressure you, and prevent you moving on, growing through life crises and other experiences, to a more evolved and peaceful and mature state of mind.

Facebook-type fora infantilise people. The pendulum will swing back eventually, and people will rediscover how much easier it is to breathe in the wide open spaces of discretion, the freedom and choices made possible by inhibition (not putting it all in the "window").

I look at my young relatives' postings on the web (Facebook, Twitter, Bebo, etc) and worry about their vulnerability.
    YouGov: £50 and £50 and £5 Amazon voucher received;
    PPI successfully reclaimed: £7,575.32 (Lloyds TSB plc); £3,803.52 (Egg card); £3,109.88 (Egg loans)
  • archived user
    I don't have a facebook account, and I wish that others could not post pictures of you without your knowledge for others to see on an online site..
  • 20000RPM
    Maybe in the future people will be less judgmental and reactionary... oh, wait. They won't.
    A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step” - Lao Tzu
    Overpaid so far: £0 | Cashback so far: £1.45
  • blackribbongirl
    I think everyone worries far too much.
  • vangirl
    The internet doesnt store data indefinately, unless you keep it going. It gets deleted.

The argument that our kids will be able to google our misspent youths is a non-starter, I didnt run upstairs and get my mum's drunken party photos out every time she told me not to drink!

Unless you murder someone you dont have much to worry about, unfortunately we are not that important to be immortalised on t'internet. As for people not getting jobs because of stupid photos they posted on facebook, thats just natural selection. If you spent your younger years off your face on drink and drugs and thought it a good idea to share this with the rest of the world maybe you shouldnt be running the country.
    Last edited by vangirl; 16-02-2010 at 7:17 PM. Reason: cant spell
    • wildthing01
    • By wildthing01 16th Feb 10, 7:43 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 2,237 Thanks
    wildthing01

Unless you murder someone you dont have much to worry about, unfortunately we are not that important to be immortalised on t'internet. As for people not getting jobs because of stupid photos they posted on facebook, thats just natural selection. If you spent your younger years off your face on drink and drugs and thought it a good idea to share this with the rest of the world maybe you shouldnt be running the country.
    Originally posted by vangirl
    the prob with facebook etc is that it is often not your choice what gets shared with the rest of the world. i know many hard-working, intelligent, responsible people who did silly drunken things in their teens/early twenties (myself included), and i don't think that should disqualify them for doing the jobs they do now. luckily, when we were young(er), and camera phones/digital cameras didn't really exist (god that makes me sound old - i'm not really!) the worst that would happen was people would spread rumours about your behaviour, which you could always deny!!

now, people can post photos of you doing it on facebook, and name you, for anyone to see, and you have no control over it.
  • vangirl
    If someone else posts a picture of you they have to digitally tag it with your name to make it searchable, which they probably wont do, kids arent stupid, they dont want there parents to see photos of them now never mind in the future.

Anyway even if the photos are still around in 10 years, which is unlikely, are potential employers really going to be that bothered about them or take the time to do it? Surley common sense would come into play and if there is a bad profile for you maybe its wise for them to take it into consideration, after all we are still the same person as we were in our teens, just a little older and hopefully wiser.
    Last edited by vangirl; 16-02-2010 at 8:09 PM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,827Posts Today

8,005Users online

Martin's Twitter